Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I teach at u of sc and I would say based on what my students tell me things are trending downhill really fast. Some of them are living in houses with 8 of their friends where all of them are suffering through high grade fevers

LMAO 26% positive

https://sc.edu/safety/coronavirus/dashboard/index.php
university administrations, student landlords, and student parties are gonna kill us both, goon.

I don't know U of SC at all; what % of the student population is confirmed to have covid19 now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Lacrosse posted:

You can know the context of that quote and still think America is insane due to the fact that the teacher felt the need to even paint that on the door to begin with

If it's not from Edinburgh and the Lothians, it's just sparkling insanity.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
so even though im not essential, my work had me start going back in early summer and i ride the train to and from.. Is there a point in time I should assume ive had it, but was asymptomatic? not that that really changes anything but i feel like its inevitable after awhile.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Lacrosse posted:

You can know the context of that quote and still think America is insane due to the fact that the teacher felt the need to even paint that on the door to begin with

Yes America is insane but what does our insanity have to do with a painted door in Scotland?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

so even though im not essential, my work had me start going back in early summer and i ride the train to and from.. Is there a point in time I should assume ive had it, but was asymptomatic? not that that really changes anything but i feel like its inevitable after awhile.

Assume you are asymptomatic and actively shedding the virus right now. Continue acting under that assumption until vaccinated or you actually get sick.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Stanky Bean posted:

Yes America is insane but what does our insanity have to do with a painted door in Scotland?

I skim read right past the post saying that school is in Scotland, my bad

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

BlackIronHeart posted:

Assume you are asymptomatic and actively shedding the virus right now. Continue acting under that assumption until vaccinated or you actually get sick.

This. I've been going to the office this whole time (thankfully I'm lucky enough to not have to take public transport) and I've just been acting like I'm asymptomatic and contagious for six something months at this point. I asked my doctor two or three months ago about getting an anti-body test but she said if I didn't have active symptoms it wouldn't do me much good. So since there is no way for me to know if I've had it/actively have it now/never got infected, I'm taking as many precautions as I can.

Personally, I think I may have miraculously avoided it somehow. My boyfriend's been working the floor at a retail store this whole time, but so far he hasn't had any symptoms, I haven't had any symptoms, and the 10 people in my office haven't had any symptoms. If one of us got it, that's easily 30+ people who are all asymptomatic. It's definitely possible, but I don't know if it's likely.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 2, 2020

naem
May 29, 2011

I bought a dang car to get to work safely, thanks apocalypse!!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Yeah, it sounds insane on its face (Just act like you're a plague rat until you know you aren't!) but it's what I've been doing since this whole thing started and I felt a little under the weather back in February. I feel like it's the most responsible way to act even if it does sound crazy.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yeah, it sounds insane on its face (Just act like you're a plague rat until you know you aren't!) but it's what I've been doing since this whole thing started and I felt a little under the weather back in February. I feel like it's the most responsible way to act even if it does sound crazy.

it is a little crazy, and I don't say that trying to offend. it's overboard

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

grieving for Gandalf posted:

It's people that seriously take responsibility for people around them like this that can actually stop re-transmission and spreading events.

With a near total lack of guidance, regulations and support, controlling asymptomatic spread comes down to exactly this kind of personal effort, which you should note, is also the behaviour that has allowed people in other countries to avoid the loving disaster going on in the US.

What is nuts that you have a whole country with enough lazy selfish assholes so far up their own rear end that they shame people for giving a gently caress, while perpetuating a pandemic.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 2, 2020

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

How do you possibly arrive at that conclusion for anyone in the US?

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Yeah here in Canada I’ve heard many times from public health officials to assume you are infected and to act accordingly to stop the spread. Makes sense to me considering it can be spread asymptomatically or pre-symptomatically

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I teach at u of sc and I would say based on what my students tell me things are trending downhill really fast. Some of them are living in houses with 8 of their friends where all of them are suffering through high grade fevers

LMAO 26% positive

https://sc.edu/safety/coronavirus/dashboard/index.php

A couple of college kids gunna die just in time for Trumps re-election.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gently caress everyone in leadership. All of them are garbage.

God fuckin drat it everyone loving sucks.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53994209?ocid=uxbndlbing

quote:

Nancy Pelosi pictured without mask in hair salon

San Francisco's pandemic orders do not allow hair salons to open indoors.

Thousands of California businesses have shut permanently amid virus curbs.

Mrs Pelosi - who always wears masks in public - often admonishes Republicans to "listen to the science" on the pandemic.

But the Fox News footage showed her walking with a face mask around her neck, rather than over her mouth, through eSalon.

A stylist, who was wearing a mask, was shown following her.

The California Democrat's spokesman said she did not realise she was breaking her home city's rules on virus prevention.

quote:

Outdoor haircuts were allowed in California from Tuesday, under new rules announced by the mayor, but indoor salons remain shut.

Add to the fact that she out of everyone could afford to have someone fuckin come to her house and do this poo poo.

They can't even be bothered to follow the rules.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Add to the fact that she out of everyone could afford to have someone fuckin come to her house and do this poo poo.

...told Fox News...
...told Fox News...
...told Fox News...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

madeintaipei posted:

...told Fox News...
...told Fox News...
...told Fox News...

There's a picture and she admitted to going so :shrug:

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

MarcusSA posted:

Fair enough, it's lovely and entitled and shows a total lack of leadership and empathy.

Also, you know they've all (us politicians etc) probably had BCG and at the very least she is getting quality tests more or less constantly, so she might be reasonably sure she isn't infectious.

Still, like, endorse and comply to the loving rules.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

How in the world is it crazy to stay home wherever I can, and wear a mask and keep hand sanitizer on me when I go grocery shopping? Like worst case scenario is I get a little stir crazy and end up building a second computer out of boredom.

I live in the middle of a city, and both my boyfriend and I have preexisting conditions. If we said YOLO and did whatever, we'd both be dead by the end of the month. Hell, I don't know what the situation is for every person I get within 6 feet of on a daily basis, so some of them could die too if I am infected and don't know it. It's frankly irresponsible to risk their lives and mine for no reason. I can deal with a little boredom to potentially save people's lives.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is why we can’t have nice things.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Lacrosse posted:

I skim read right past the post saying that school is in Scotland, my bad

The door says Scotland on it.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The door says Scotland on it.

I was reading it on mobile and I can't see the tiny text I'm sorry ;_;

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Tbf some people really are going insane, like the guy itt stockpiling hundreds of masks and other supplies.

Staying home more, wearing a real mask, and washing up more often isn't remotely crazy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I mean, if I had to take some medication for my health, you bet I’d stock as much of it as its shelf life, my finances, and my doctor would allow.

If I had a fax machine with a line to 2015 and the only thing I could send through it was an order form for filtering facepiece respirators, I’d get a crate of them.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The entire concept of respirators is that in this scenario, they last pretty much forever. If you want a crate so that you can give one to each family member or friend, okay cool. If you want to keep one or possibly even two spares for yourself, whatever. If you want to hoard hundreds in your basement for your personal use, nope sorry you are crazy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Nah. The entire concept is that you put them on before a task like sanding drywall or entering a patient’s room with some rare and exciting airborne disease like tuberculosis, you do the job, and upon exiting the hazardous environment, you remove and dispose of the respirator.

It is only the extraordinary shortage of late that has changed that.

If I could have a fresh one every day for fifty cents, I would take it. I don’t reuse foam earplugs or push the life of razor blades, and the worst that could happen if I did is getting an ear infection or some superficial cuts.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 2, 2020

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I'm talking about a respirator respirator. https://google.com/search?q=respirator&tbm=isch They're made for tons of reuse in any situation, and especially this one.

For an N95 it would make sense to have maybe a dozen on hand, but that would be in case of, like, wear and tear on the elastic. It's not like the viruses drill away at the holes until they get big enough to invade.

Anyway, if anyone remembers who was posting about his hoard, please link to the posts, because I promise it was insanely excessive.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Anne Whateley posted:

Tbf some people really are going insane, like the guy itt stockpiling hundreds of masks and other supplies.

Staying home more, wearing a real mask, and washing up more often isn't remotely crazy.

Yeah I have a guy in my FB feed who I know vaguely through work contacts and he's NOT coping with this pandemic in the slightest and is completely losing it. He's lost a ridiculous amount of weight from stress (he was already thin but he's dropped an additional 20kg), says he can't wear a mask for more than 10 minutes without a full blown panic attack and hyperventilating, and he's apparently blown all his saving plus all his superannuation on feeding his family (even though he's getting unemployment benefits). He was always wound a little tightly but the pandemic has pushed him over the edge.

E: if you can manage to get to the shops in a mask to buy food regularly and you're not completely ruining your physical health or 100% loving up your financial future, or even just two out three, you're doing a LOT better than some

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Sep 2, 2020

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

naem posted:

Work is the place you're most likely to get it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm talking about a respirator respirator. https://google.com/search?q=respirator&tbm=isch They're made for tons of reuse in any situation, and especially this one.

For an N95 it would make sense to have maybe a dozen on hand, but that would be in case of, like, wear and tear on the elastic. It's not like the viruses drill away at the holes until they get big enough to invade.

Anyway, if anyone remembers who was posting about his hoard, please link to the posts, because I promise it was insanely excessive.

Sorry for the misunderstanding on what constitutes a respirator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovSLAuY8ib8

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Anne Whateley posted:

No, but the filter clogs with pollen, dust, and moisture as you wear it which makes more and more air escape around the filter, aka exactly what you don't want. A used single-use mask or cartridge will get less and less effective until it completely fails. If you're wearing an n95 mask until the elastic fails you're not protecting anyone towards the end.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

naem posted:

And to think that some people tried to argue that car dealerships were not essential businesses

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

This is like Fox News right here.

She was the only one in the salon.

She had her mask on till she was having her hair washed.

She put it back on when they were done.

She literally had it off for a few minutes as directed by the salon and not being able to wear it while having the hair washed.. The fact anyone would be outraged is loving dumb.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if i were in her position i would not visit a salon, instead either not cutting my hair, cutting it myself, or asking a family member to do it, out of solidarity with everyone for whom those are their only options currently. but then again i'm not incredibly wealthy and arrogant so what do i know

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"Out of solidarity" with people that can't go to a hair salon (because they don't want to)? That's dumb.

Also, what would that amazing display of "solidarity" even do for anyone.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
people are frustrated that they can't do normal things. politicians being on that level is a way of representing that they are fighting the same fight as normal people and sharing in the sacrifices they are making

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Fame Douglas posted:

"Out of solidarity" with people that can't go to a hair salon (because they don't want to)? That's dumb.

Also, what would that amazing display of "solidarity" even do for anyone.
Not give morons photo ammunition for their anti-mask plague rat bullshit

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

dwarf74 posted:

Not give morons photo ammunition for their anti-mask plague rat bullshit

Surely she should be rich enough to have the hairdresser come to her.

Wattsamatta
Feb 24, 2008

Mozi posted:

people are frustrated that they can't do normal things. politicians being on that level is a way of representing that they are fighting the same fight as normal people and sharing in the sacrifices they are making

This is a bullshit crabs-in-a-bucket mentality fueled by jealousy rather than any concern for leadership or well-being. As stated, Pelosi followed the rules as directed by the salon itself, but we live in a time of "Gotcha!" It's a dumb and frustrating distraction that pisses me off no end.

Sorry - back to lurking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Mozi posted:

Z the IVth posted:

Surely she should be rich enough to have the hairdresser come to her.

Sounds like there's really nothing she can do that would make people happy.