Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
How do you set your kid's educational priorities? I know you're supposed to be able to in theory, but I Ward him out to someone to be educated and I can't seem to find a way, right-click or otherwise, to set it either before or after, even during the magical ages of 6 to 9 when you're supposed to get a say.

Help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

As someone who struggled to get more than an hour into CK2 I just played a little over 6 hours straight and had a blast. Can’t wait to get back to it tomorrow.

If CK2 was the beginning of modern-day PDS this feels like the next step up the ladder of quality and accessibility that needs to be in all of their games going forward. Feels like this game is going to be massive for a long time to come.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'm in Australia, if I buy a key off indiegala or somewhere will it work?

I bought mine from Indiegala an hour or so ago, installed and launched just fine.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
How the gently caress are there already mods out for this?

Not only is there a Sunset Invasion one, but there's also a Vampire: The Masquerade and Bronze Age-timed full conversions and it's not even 24 hours since release.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Is there anyway to arrange my grandson’s marriage so he doesn’t end up with the actual worst wife possible, like he did before I reloaded like a scrub.

Also dear king of Scotland I know I’m easy target but please stop declaring war on me because I mad the noob mistake of taking the Isle of Mann. :(

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Had the option to spy on my courtier's kitchen for some Intrigue experience, after having a suspicious meal. Not sure what I expected, BUT

Ah what a fun game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

barkbell posted:

how do you get gold

begging the pope for money is my go-to strat

spend the money you do get on economic buildings before military stuff.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

begging the pope for money is my go-to strat

Mooching off the pope is a family tradition.

also holy crap, the 'befriend' feels like its going to get nerfed, pretty powerful for stabilizing your realm. Pretty much befriend anybody threatening. Turned my powerful vassal's frown upside down.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Playing the Byzantines always brings out the tyrant in me. I somehow wound up with a toddler in my dungeon so I had her blinded.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Well, i just spent most of the day playing this.

Game good.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I am guessing that going for King of Ireland after the tutorial is a good first game? I will see how far I go.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
:siren: you can now swap the positions of two councilors instead of only being able to fire one to hire the other and then having a vacancy :siren:

hopeandjoy posted:

Is there anyway to arrange my grandson’s marriage so he doesn’t end up with the actual worst wife possible, like he did before I reloaded like a scrub.

right click on him and try to arrange his marriage. if you can't, this is because he is outside of your court so you can't do things like that. for example, if your grandson is in the court of your landed son, then it is your son's decision, not yours. try to get custodianship of the child and then arrange a marriage then like immediately hand off the kid, although if a kid is important enough for you to want to set their marriage then it may be good for them to be your ward anyway

note though that having Events happen such that you rapidly pass playership to some weird teenage heir with an utterly dismal spouse is very much the crusader kings experience

TBIEGS
Aug 18, 2016

The Bold Kobold posted:

How the gently caress are there already mods out for this?

Not only is there a Sunset Invasion one, but there's also a Vampire: The Masquerade and Bronze Age-timed full conversions and it's not even 24 hours since release.

Some big mod creators got early access to the game,i think.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

luxury handset posted:

:siren: you can now swap the positions of two councilors instead of only being able to fire one to hire the other and then having a vacancy :siren:

right click on him and try to arrange his marriage. if you can't, this is because he is outside of your court so you can't do things like that. for example, if your grandson is in the court of your landed son, then it is your son's decision, not yours. try to get custodianship of the child and then arrange a marriage then like immediately hand off the kid, although if a kid is important enough for you to want to set their marriage then it may be good for them to be your ward anyway

The grandson is my ward but that’s my root issue: my PC is a woman who only had a sister and when I knocked off her sister, those lands went to my PC’s son.

I guess I’m just going to have to hope that this time my potential future PC doesn’t have the AI choose a wife with all the worst traits then. :sigh:

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Davincie posted:

fair warning to tribals: going feudal is not easy. 10 development sounds like nothing but tribals get huge penalties to dev growth, learning all the technologies takes forever cause your guys are likely dum dums and reforming a religion required a lot of faith, my norse religion requires more then 4000!

I cant reform mine because suddenly I need to own 3 holy sites. I have 3 within my realm but not under my direct control and it they wont count.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Can you not name your grandkids in CK3? Even when they are born in your court?

Also is there message options somewhere I am missing? For turning on and off alerts?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

luxury handset posted:

You could do that in CK2 too. It was just implemented in a hacky way, requiring you to use a character interaction that fired an event to give you a choice.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Stux posted:

wheres the button to make ai ally units attach to me or something, the allied ai is terminally stupid

Yeah, is there one?

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Ran for like 6 hrs straight on MacBook Pro and worked great.

I really like the dread system.

PDX guys should really be proud of themselves, fantastic job. Great release here and I think I’m going to do some Afghan poo poo next.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

First serious game after realizing that playing a feudal European would be awful was forming Lithuania. Managed to do it before my first chief died but now the HRE manged to absorb part of Polotsk (previously putting down a rebellion by hungary and poland) and I'm just going :gonk:.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Can someone explain causus belli to me?

I understand some counties I have an inherent claim to. I also understand I can fabricate a claim. How do I do more 'legit' claims than that?

From reading documents I could invite a claimant, give them a county to make them my vassal, and then press their claim. Is that right?

Also, how do inherited claims work? Lets say I have a daughter and I marry off to a son, and we'll say in France. Do her children get any claims in any way? What if I marry a son off to someone elses daughter?

And I guess if I want, I could keep bribing the pope into loving me so I can get a claim? (Assuming I'm Catholic)

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Shy is the worst trait ever, never take shy, do whatever you can to get rid of shy or you will suffer! Everything gives you stress with the drat trait, even inviting champions to court.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Basic question but how do I research new stuff in CK3?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SubNat posted:

If you click on a holding that isn't your primary holding, there should be a (honestly not that visible) icon that lets you set it as your capital/primary.
It could have benefitted from a more obvious button, as opposed to what looks like a flat-color icon.

Also I think you can only do it once per ruler lifetime.

luxury handset posted:

click on the holding which is not your capital. two stacked panels show up

the top is the county level title panel, it will say County of Goonery

the bottom is the barony itself, the castle holding in that county. there's an icon there like an arrow pointing at a crown. this is the capital move button. it's the same panel where you choose to construct new buildings

On a related note, am I reading this right or is there no way to change the county capital? Not for your top holding, but to pick a specific (different) barony/city within a county to be its capital?

Reading the wiki, it seems like each county comes with one, pre-determined holding that is its capital for all eternity, and it's never going to change. So if you happen to take over a county with huge… tracts of land, but with a church capital, it will forever be doomed to be a theocracy and you can't ever really use it as your own. :eng99:

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
I've done the king of Ireland thing, now I've got a crap ton of titles and I have no idea how to hand these out and divy up my duchies without making any vassal too powerful. I really don't understand what the "liege holds de jure duchy" malus means and how to best resolve it outside of just handing the complaining earl an entire duchy (which probably includes my own demense counties I'd like to keep).

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Ragingsheep posted:

Basic question but how do I research new stuff in CK3?

Go to your cultural screen located next to the button for your religion.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

This is a very small thing given the insane amount of work that they put into this game, but I wish they hadn't used Tibetan Pinyin to render place-names in Tibet. They look so bad.

Shigatse -> hell yeah, that's how to spell it. can generally be puzzled out by anyone pretty quicky
Xigaze -> no, no, no. the x is going to produce half a dozen different guesses, and no one is going to assume that z is actually ts.

Anyways game rules tho

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Cheap Trick posted:

I bought mine from Indiegala an hour or so ago, installed and launched just fine.

Rad thank you.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Dee Ehm posted:

I've done the king of Ireland thing, now I've got a crap ton of titles and I have no idea how to hand these out and divy up my duchies without making any vassal too powerful. I really don't understand what the "liege holds de jure duchy" malus means and how to best resolve it outside of just handing the complaining earl an entire duchy (which probably includes my own demense counties I'd like to keep).

You typically want to pick the best duchy (and some counties within) to be your own (as a king) and give out the rest. In case of civil war, having the best regions would put you at an advantage. If you have a bunch of titles that you need to give away, that means promoting your favorite counts to dukes. Obviously you don't want dukes that hate you as they might go against you in the future.

There is no way to make this perfect. Over time dukes will do their own things and wage their own wars and some will start to get very powerful. This is where you'll need to throw in some clever schemes to cripple their power before they take your king title away from you or go independent etc.

Overall you as a king should try to be more powerful than any single duke in your kingdom (like having higher personal levies). However just like in history, if multiple dukes decide to unite against you, then you're pretty much screwed. This is why you should work on your schemes or diplomacy to prevent that.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 2, 2020

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

eonwe posted:

I understand some counties I have an inherent claim to. I also understand I can fabricate a claim. How do I do more 'legit' claims than that?

From reading documents I could invite a claimant, give them a county to make them my vassal, and then press their claim. Is that right?

Also, how do inherited claims work? Lets say I have a daughter and I marry off to a son, and we'll say in France. Do her children get any claims in any way? What if I marry a son off to someone elses daughter?

And I guess if I want, I could keep bribing the pope into loving me so I can get a claim? (Assuming I'm Catholic)

Making a vassal then pressing their claims is one way to get claims, although that can be difficult to arrange. If you are starting out and the map is still fractured then the easiest way to get more claims is to make new higher titles. If you own a majority of the counties in a Dutchy then you can form the Dutchy for a gold price, and after which you can press the claims of the rest of the dutchy you haven't conquered yet.

So for example, I have a dutchy that is five counties. I conquer three through other means to get a majority, then form the dutchy they are a part of. After that I can press de jure claims on the remaining two and take them into my dutchy, because as the Duke I now "own" those states.

Kingdoms work the same way, just on a larger scale. If you can get half the dutchies in a kingdom then you can claim the other half, which can end up being a dozen counties.

You generally want to push for kingdom if you can, since it both allows you to get a lot of CBs and condenses the highest office into a single point, which helps for succession.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 2, 2020

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CuddleCryptid posted:

Making a vassal then pressing their claims is one way to get claims, although that can be difficult to arrange. If you are starting out and the map is still fractured then the easiest way to get more claims is to make new higher titles. If you own a majority of the counties in a Dutchy then you can form the Dutchy for a gold price, and after which you can press the claims of the rest of the dutchy you haven't conquered yet.

So for example, I have a dutchy that is five counties. I conquer three through other means to get a majority, then form the dutchy they are a part of. After that I can press de jure claims on the remaining two and take them into my dutchy.

Kingdoms work the same way, just on a larger scale. If you can get half the dutchies in a kingdom then you can claim the other half, which can end up being a dozen counties.

oh poo poo that makes sense, I knew I was missing something *big*

ty

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Stux posted:

wheres the button to make ai ally units attach to me or something, the allied ai is terminally stupid

Yeah, this one is kind of a dealbreaker right now. You can't attach to allied armies, you can't tell them to attach to your armies, you can't tell them what to focus on, they just run around without rhyme or reason and you have to try your best to keep up lest your enemy picks you off one by one.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

eonwe posted:

A fair amount of claim options seem to be hidden behind various lifestyle perks spread among the different trees. The most obvious are in the diplomat tree, but you also get stuff “buy claim” as a scholar. I also recall seeing (and immediately losing track of) a few options if you choose to reform your religion.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

DurosKlav posted:

Shy is the worst trait ever, never take shy, do whatever you can to get rid of shy or you will suffer! Everything gives you stress with the drat trait, even inviting champions to court.

Social anxiety sim of the year

Also I haven't had much trouble with AI allies, they've either stuck with my army directly or rushed over to a fight ASAP.

TBIEGS posted:

Some big mod creators got early access to the game,i think.

Yeah AFAIK some did, so they were more or less ready to go the second it released. Still impressed that any teams managed to put together things as big as the VTM and bronze age and Sunset Invasion mods in time though, pretty cool

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

eonwe posted:

i think those are old and from ck2. in ck3 i've not found a situation where i can't just press someone's claim and then they're my vassal, as it should be, because they wouldn't even be landed if it weren't for me and my army

eonwe posted:

pretty much, though it gets complicated based on inheritance. for example, if the title is absolute agnatic (only men can ever inherit) then the daughter, never being a valid inheritor, would not pass on claims. her brother who is the ninth son who would never inherit an outhouse, technically he has a claim to the land so he'd be a good guy to press claims for. if the title is agnatic-cognatic (men first, then women) then yeah she could pass on a weak claim, which is like a claim that can only get pressed some of the time. at least this is how it worked in ck2

In ck3 i think that all kids inherit a title claim? so kids of kids won't

Dee Ehm posted:

"liege holds de jure duchy" just means that you, the liege, are the duke of whatever and that count wants to be the duke. it's the natural friction of feudalism, your vassals bristle a bit because they want the titles you hold. you can't really do anything about it, part of the game is just learning which squeaky wheel vassals you can ignore and which will eventually try to lay siege to you

Tippis posted:

On a related note, am I reading this right or is there no way to change the county capital? Not for your top holding, but to pick a specific (different) barony/city within a county to be its capital?

Reading the wiki, it seems like each county comes with one, pre-determined holding that is its capital for all eternity, and it's never going to change. So if you happen to take over a county with huge… tracts of land, but with a church capital, it will forever be doomed to be a theocracy and you can't ever really use it as your own. :eng99:

unless i completely misunderstand you, in this case the capital barony is not what you should care about, but rather who holds the title. if a bishopric is formed where the bishop vassal is a count, then you can't switch them away by designating a new capital. instead, you would need to revoke the county title from the bishop and grant it either to the castle holding owner or the city mayor if you want to make a republic

if a county bishopric is locked theocratic for the entire game then that seems like a bug

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Unlucky7 posted:

So I am guessing that going for King of Ireland after the tutorial is a good first game? I will see how far I go.

It is, conquering and uniting Ireland can easily be done. However it seems like mainland england/scotland/wales have stronger holdings and it can be a bit harder to push into the bigger island if everything is stable. Also they will happily boat over.

Also, on casus belli

You can fab claims on your own vassals too, and revoke titles without being a tyrant. Downside is that it increases dread, and you have a chance of getting a trait that lowers all vassal opinions, or just one specific vassal.

What wasn't apparent to me was if you do revoke the title and war with your vassal, and win, you'll imprison him and you have to revoke it again when he's behind bars before the county/earldom becomes yours

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
Bohemia is fun. I recommend it. Tomorrow when I'm free I'm gonna see about either cleaning up my borders in South Germany, or making serious inroads into Poland. I'm worried my current super-king is going to die soon though.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Anno posted:

As someone who struggled to get more than an hour into CK2 I just played a little over 6 hours straight and had a blast. Can’t wait to get back to it tomorrow.

If CK2 was the beginning of modern-day PDS this feels like the next step up the ladder of quality and accessibility that needs to be in all of their games going forward. Feels like this game is going to be massive for a long time to come.

They've really improved on every single aspect of previous games. I was worried after Imperator was a steaming POS on release, but looks like they simply used it to properly test the engine for CK3. CK3 is the real baby successor that Paradox cares about.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 2, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

eleven extra elephants posted:

I got destroyed in my very first battle, maybe I should have played the tutorial
I played the tutorial and got destroyed in my very first battle. By the end of the tutorial I was cowering in the lowest left province of Ireland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Holy poo poo where did my evening go? :stare:

My first game in India went poorly but this second one I started is going much smoother. It pays to have allies, who knew? I might try someone in the Horn of Africa region next.

Everything that stopped me from enjoying or progressing in CK2 is fixed or gone. This might actually pass EU4 as my favourite Paradox game.