Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s funny I bought this rift and a new pc, so I could explore the wide world of PC VR and instead of doing that I played half life and then just wasted like 30 hours playing Skyrim, which I have already played both on a screen and on PSVR lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Semi related to VR thread, the new RTX 3xxx have been announced and the performance is better than I expected. Some % numbers
(from the Digital Foundry video)

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I'm going to sell my RIFT S, since i was recently gifted a Valve Index. Do I need to reset anything in the headset itself before I throw it up on EBAY?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turin Turambar posted:

Semi related to VR thread, the new RTX 3xxx have been announced and the performance is better than I expected. Some % numbers

I have a 2080ti and I'm curious about a direct comparison between them.

Its like 120% of the 2080 though roughly, compared to this is like, 160-200%?

Dang, that's nice.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is there a way to disable the guardian stuff in seater/game pad games for the Rift S, when I’m playing through Steam VR? I feel like there should be a way in there somewhere but I can’t find it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

3080 (or 3090? I forget) can push 33 million pixels (8k) at 60fps on ultra, real world

Napkin math:

HP Reverb G2 at 90fps, that's equivalent to drawing about 21 million pixels on that same 60fps 8k screen, including 150% scaling

Valve Index at 144fps, that's equivalent to 16 million with 150% scaling

At that point your CPU and memory will be the bottleneck, pretty nice. Also there's a bunch of VR reprojection tricks that save GPU cycles, so it might be even more performant than guessing that it has to paint all 16 or 21 million pixels from scratch. Probably will not be able to max out a Reverb G3 or Index 2 though.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
All I know is that DCS World will still run like poo poo.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Shine posted:

All I know is that DCS World will still run like poo poo.

You're gonna need every last bit of those 24 GB for the deferred framebuffers.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Are there any other upbeat songs on Beat Saber as good as the Carameldansen? It just has a perfect combination of a fun infectious song with a fantastic map.

Also I picked up a bunch more of the DLC and you can tell how much better the devs have gotten because the Green Day stuff was okay but the Linkin Park ones are fantastic.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What happened with the "The Gallery" series? I refer to 'The Gallery - Ep 1: Call of the Starseed'. I see a Ep2 but no more, not even a trilogy. I'm going to guess they cancelled it? The devs went to do Pistol Whip, from what I can see.

I tried Episode 1, and well, the first impression is bad.
-I see positive comments about the graphics in the reviews, and I guess in 2017 it was a bit more remarkable, but in 2020 it's just fine, with some blurry textures here and there.
-Zero support for artificial locomotion, turning, etc. Early days of VR and all that.
-Zero support for Touch controller.
-The game didn't save my progress when I quest it, it seems until you finish any scene/chapter in which the game is divided in, it won't do any checkpoints. Annoying.
-The first puzzle was throwing an object to something above. But the throwing feels very off, and I have a fan on my ceiling so I couldn't extend my arm that much for fear of hitting it (it already happened a few times in VR...)
-Finally, it seems the game consists of somewhat obtuse puzzles. I already got stuck in the beach lol. Not promising.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pierson posted:

Are there any other upbeat songs on Beat Saber as good as the Carameldansen? It just has a perfect combination of a fun infectious song with a fantastic map.

It’s a bit slower but I always felt Awe was pretty upbeat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3z2YzIRi4k

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turin Turambar posted:

What happened with the "The Gallery" series? I refer to 'The Gallery - Ep 1: Call of the Starseed'. I see a Ep2 but no more, not even a trilogy. I'm going to guess they cancelled it? The devs went to do Pistol Whip, from what I can see.

I tried Episode 1, and well, the first impression is bad.
-I see positive comments about the graphics in the reviews, and I guess in 2017 it was a bit more remarkable, but in 2020 it's just fine, with some blurry textures here and there.
-Zero support for artificial locomotion, turning, etc. Early days of VR and all that.
-Zero support for Touch controller.
-The game didn't save my progress when I quest it, it seems until you finish any scene/chapter in which the game is divided in, it won't do any checkpoints. Annoying.
-The first puzzle was throwing an object to something above. But the throwing feels very off, and I have a fan on my ceiling so I couldn't extend my arm that much for fear of hitting it (it already happened a few times in VR...)
-Finally, it seems the game consists of somewhat obtuse puzzles. I already got stuck in the beach lol. Not promising.

The game is awesome, "obtuse" is kinda up to you and your level of puzzling. I love games like Myst, so Obduction and Gallery are both right up my alley. But in both games I find myself having to stop and take breaks... which is how Myst and Riven were too. They're not something you just plow through.

When you get further in the game, and you're on levels that are like floating platforms from Mario 64 and the whole level is rotating around in space in order to solve puzzles about sunlight... its cool poo poo dude. But to each his own.

The FAQ for Emberstone says this

quote:

Q: I can’t wait another 8 years to finish the story—how many more Episodes are there?
A: We have one more episode planned in the current series, but The Gallery universe goes well beyond Elsie’s story...

So there's that.

I kickstarted it back in... 2013? And they released the first one in ... 2016? So each episode did take them years, they put a lot of real work into developing new VR interactions and testing things and redesigning them.

So I wouldn't assume the 3rd episode is cancelled. But at the same time, Pistol Whip is definitely more successful and probably a lot less effort on their part too. So ... we'll see if they actually finish it or not. I feel like I got my money's worth for the kickstarter with Ep 1 & 2 at least.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Turin Turambar posted:

What happened with the "The Gallery" series?...

I'm pretty sure they didn't have the sales on ep 1 and 2 to justify anything else in the series.

And to be fair it was pretty good for 2017 but the development of VR has been super fast. I can totally understand not spending the dev time to get touch or smooth locomotion working when it might might not move enough extra copies to justify the cost.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Hadlock posted:

3080 (or 3090? I forget) can push 33 million pixels (8k) at 60fps on ultra, real world*

* with DLSS

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Inacio posted:

* with DLSS

Oh, really? So dlss is like watching a 1080p DVD on a 4k display, but instead of software scaling, they're doing it in hardware?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hadlock posted:

Oh, really? So dlss is like watching a 1080p DVD on a 4k display, but instead of software scaling, they're doing it in hardware?

they're doing ~AI~ scaling based on previous frames and full resolution textures and other poo poo. i think there's work being done in making DLSS work with VR, but i'm pretty sure it's not even remotely ready yet.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Hadlock posted:

dlss is a bit smarter than that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ggro8CyZK4

as far as i can tell every single "huge improvement!!" metric we know of so far is with RT on, DLSS on, or both. they didnt focus on traditional raster performance much at all

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
on the pic posted, only quake 2 and control support RTX and only control supports DLSS 2.0 afaik. and it was disabled

e: context

Turin Turambar posted:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Humble has a huge sale going. Ton of interesting VR stuff in there but you have to filter to see it. Elite back to $7.49 for anyone who missed it, Saints and Sinners 25% off, Duck season half off, bunch of other stuff too.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/search?sort=discount&filter=onsale&hmb_source=store_navbar&platform=oculus-rift

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Inacio posted:

dlss is a bit smarter than that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ggro8CyZK4

as far as i can tell every single "huge improvement!!" metric we know of so far is with RT on, DLSS on, or both. they didnt focus on traditional raster performance much at all

Makes sense. Existing RTX cards can already blow up pixels, but take a big hit when you turn on the new fancy features. Getting it to render equally smooth with RT on is the next step.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Truga posted:

on the pic posted, only quake 2 and control support RTX and only control supports DLSS 2.0 afaik. and it was disabled

e: context

good point!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

veni veni veni posted:

Humble has a huge sale going. Ton of interesting VR stuff in there but you have to filter to see it. Elite back to $7.49 for anyone who missed it, Saints and Sinners 25% off, Duck season half off, bunch of other stuff too.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/search?sort=discount&filter=onsale&hmb_source=store_navbar&platform=oculus-rift

Nice. I've been holding on Until You Fall, but 10€ is hard to pass.

Elite Horizons is on sale too. It lets you land on planets and drive around, right? How's that in VR?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
So STRIDE is super good even just from playing Endless mode. Endless mode coming Friday in Early Access.
Here's my best run from last night https://twitch.tv/videos/728490703

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

seravid posted:

Elite Horizons is on sale too. It lets you land on planets and drive around, right? How's that in VR?

It's functional. The vehicles feel floaty and lifeless even on planets with earthlike (or stronger) gravity. Like, there's no "oomph" to it. It's nowhere near as satisfying as, say, playing Dirt Rally in VR.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah I think the best part of Elite is just space trucking and docking with cool space stations. The driving stuff is kinda meh, but some people want that full universe simulation as much as they can get it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I just finally got around to playing the Batman VR game, because everybody said it was so short I just put it off, but finally got around to it. And while it was short, really fun and polished while it lasted. I'm kinda impressed honestly.

One thing that really caught me though, on like the 3rd level when you're just hanging out on a perch overlooking Penguin and a couple of his goons talking...

I honestly wouldn't mind just hanging out in a space like that in VR. Just, perched on the edge of a building in fantastic Gotham, watching cars and people move around below. Being thousands of feet up on the edge of a skyscraper, but actually totally safe IRL. Very chill, very cool.

I would kill for some more fully 3D environments in SteamVR to just hang out in. I'd pay money for em even. There's a few cool SteamVR environments, but the vast majority of them are just skybox scans using Nvidia Ansel or whatever that you can't actually walk around inside of.

I would kill to just chill in the lobby of one of the buildings in Rapture, from Bioshock. Would be an amazing chatroom too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

I would kill for some more fully 3D environments in SteamVR to just hang out in. I'd pay money for em even. There's a few cool SteamVR environments, but the vast majority of them are just skybox scans using Nvidia Ansel or whatever that you can't actually walk around inside of.

I would kill to just chill in the lobby of one of the buildings in Rapture, from Bioshock. Would be an amazing chatroom too.

This is half the appeal of VRChat. I know for a fact there's a Rapture world with assets ripped from the games, and there's probably a few Batman ones too.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I remember hearing the next Elite expansion won't support VR, but I'm not super clear on how that effects existing players. Does that mean VR players won't be allowed to land on planets or consume new expansion content, or does it mean they're dropping VR support entirely?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Thoom posted:

I remember hearing the next Elite expansion won't support VR, but I'm not super clear on how that effects existing players. Does that mean VR players won't be allowed to land on planets or consume new expansion content, or does it mean they're dropping VR support entirely?

Elite is good about segmenting content away. The stuff that won’t be compatible on Oddysey will be essay to avoid and is just related to FPS stuff.
The rest of the game works fantastic in VR

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is half the appeal of VRChat. I know for a fact there's a Rapture world with assets ripped from the games, and there's probably a few Batman ones too.

Well poo poo I guess I gotta get in on that then!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Thoom posted:

Its because its adding on-foot segments. And they're even saying "we won't support VR at launch" so they may end up putting in the work to adapt the controls and UI for VR, but they also might not.

But it just means you can't get out on foot while in VR. No big.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

seravid posted:

Nice. I've been holding on Until You Fall, but 10€ is hard to pass.

This is one of the ones I picked up and after about an hour my first impressions are extremely good. It might have some potential to get repetitive, I'm not sure yet because I suck at it and can't beat the first boss lol, but oh man, this is how you do sword combat in VR. And I wasn't big on the synthwave neon retro style on paper but it's so good in action. Really it just feels polished as all hell and whoever developed this game really knows what the gently caress is up with how VR games should feel.

TBH after ditching Asgard's Wrath because of the awful combat and playing Skyrim exclusively with Magic to avoid how lame the swords are, it had me kind of questioning how good sword combat could be in VR. And it turns out, it can actually be really good. Anyways, at 10 bux this feels like a steal.

Also played through Duck Season in one sitting. Man, the game itself is so neat so I am glad I bought it, but the actual duck hunting part is not great. The shotgun feels like poo poo. it was so finicky I just bumped it to easy because I didn't want to deal with it and actually trying to aim it meant putting the touch controller to my face and the tracking getting all hosed up. And after a while the duck game just gets way old and you are just trying to push through to get to the meta poo poo. It's such a weird and goofy concept though I can't help but like it. And the scares are well done even if it's never particularly horrifying.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Turin Turambar posted:

The RTX3090: Finally, a card that can run VRchat at 80fps*.

*Must be done with 2 RTX 3090s using NVlink paired with an i9 10900k overclocked to hell and back with a custom water loop hooked up to a radiator stolen out of a semi.

Zaphod42 posted:

I have a 2080ti and I'm curious about a direct comparison between them.

Its like 120% of the 2080 though roughly, compared to this is like, 160-200%?

Dang, that's nice.

Here's a comparison chart of the physical hardware pulled from AnandTech. Nobody really knows exactly how this will play out performance-wise until we start getting real benchmarks in a week or two, but I'm guessing it's probably safe to say that even the $500 RTX 3070 should better than the performance of the currently ~$1000 2080ti in most applications.

Also they supposedly made the cards more efficient at actually doing raytracing stuff.

Pierson posted:

Also I picked up a bunch more of the DLC and you can tell how much better the devs have gotten because the Green Day stuff was okay but the Linkin Park ones are fantastic.

Uptown Funk and Rasputin are solid.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 2, 2020

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Marxalot posted:

The RTX3090: Finally, a card that can run VRchat at 80fps*.

*Must be done with 2 RTX 3090s using NVlink paired with an i9 10900k overclocked to hell and back with a custom water loop hooked up to a radiator stolen out of a semi.

Automotive radiators are surprisingly cheap. This might legitimately be a better option than a desktop model that's covered in RGB lights and costs 400 bucks. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

Well poo poo I guess I gotta get in on that then!

There are a lot of worlds that are just asset-rips from games for the novelty of exploring them. One of my favourites is the entire house from Chibi Robo, at Robo's scale, and the creator used the Chibi Doors to put a different Chibi Robo avatar in each (Most are different costumes, but there's ones for Telly and the family too). There's even a bonus one for finding them all around the house.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

It would be nice if Valve would actually keep supporting SteamVR Home instead of breaking stuff and just letting it rot.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Why does the 3080 have 10gb of vram when the 1080ti has 11?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Why does the 3080 have 10gb of vram when the 1080ti has 11?

so they can sell you the 3080ti

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It's also using much faster ram, gddr6x vs gddr6. It's something like twice as fast and much more expensive. Also yeah, rumors point to a 3070 refresh with 16gb and a 3080 with 20gb if you want to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Rectus posted:

It would be nice if Valve would actually keep supporting SteamVR Home instead of breaking stuff and just letting it rot.

Is this your first experience with valve? Their entire business model is creating 90% of something amazing and then abandoning it forever.