Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Nadsat is great for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I just watched all of a 20 year old show called “Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place” and you know what? Still rock solid. The first season even has the guy who played the Shogun of Harlem in it! It had weird episodes like one that had no dialogue only music, and Halloween episodes where they switch brains, the girl grows a penis, and they all get shrunk down and eaten by a cat.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I just watched all of a 20 year old show called “Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place” and you know what? Still rock solid. The first season even has the guy who played the Shogun of Harlem in it! It had weird episodes like one that had no dialogue only music, and Halloween episodes where they switch brains, the girl grows a penis, and they all get shrunk down and eaten by a cat.

Sounds about as hosed up as the final seasons of Family Matters, which also features mind swaps and characters shrinking and being chased by a pet (I think).

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Wasn't Ryan Reynolds in that?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

packetmantis posted:

Wasn't Ryan Reynolds in that?

And Nathan Fillion

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

i remember it being a good show... but it doesn't hold up a candle to stark raving mad :corsair:

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I vaguely recall watching that show a lot, but the only memory remaining of it was a Halloween episode where a cop dismisses the main characters ranting about a killer and mentions he's late for his retirement party. Ryan Reynolds says "Well, he's dead." And he was.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

It could have been called “2 Green Lanterns and a Deadpool”

Melaneus posted:

I vaguely recall watching that show a lot, but the only memory remaining of it was a Halloween episode where a cop dismisses the main characters ranting about a killer and mentions he's late for his retirement party. Ryan Reynolds says "Well, he's dead." And he was.

In that episode every one of the main characters dies. At the end there is a “Next time on 2 guys and girl” and it’s just the empty sets.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Having the teen slang just be words the writers made up because they realized using actual words would date the show within a year was inspired though.

Red Dwarf did a similar thing like this with "Smeg". They didn't want to use real swear words, but they also didn't want to use weaksauce insults like "gosh" or "drat". So they wrote in "Smeg" as a replacement space swear word so the dialogue could flow naturally, and pass the censors.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Sounds about as hosed up as the final seasons of Family Matters, which also features mind swaps and characters shrinking and being chased by a pet (I think).

Family Matters was doing wacky poo poo like that ever since they introduced Stefan in the fifth season. It just got worse as Urkel got more popular.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Vandar posted:

Family Matters was doing wacky poo poo like that ever since they introduced Stefan in the fifth season. It just got worse as Urkel got more popular.

Weren't a lot of sitcoms guilty of wacky poo poo to one degree or another back then?
Sure, Family Matters got wackier than most, but, it seemed like any sitcom that went on long enough started feeling the need to introduce zany elements to shake things up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Red Dwarf did a similar thing like this with "Smeg". They didn't want to use real swear words, but they also didn't want to use weaksauce insults like "gosh" or "drat". So they wrote in "Smeg" as a replacement space swear word so the dialogue could flow naturally, and pass the censors.

And also makes it extra funny that Smeg is a brand of appliances.

Fake slang/swears is a hard thing to do. Adventure Time and Will Save The Galaxy For Food both have mathematical terms for them respectively.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Schwarbage.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fake slang/swears is a hard thing to do. Adventure Time and Will Save The Galaxy For Food both have mathematical terms for them respectively.

Tranch sounds really nasty in the way the voice actors put stank on it in Adventure Time.

Dreadwind
Dec 1, 2009

"Whomps" from Recess is my personal favorite. Plus they had an episode where they clearly illustrate that hard work will only get you so far, you have to exploit others to make the big bucks. Pretty solid show from what I remember

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It helps that Adventure Time used 'Balzac' as a rude word.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
What a Dumas.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

hard counter posted:

i remember it being a good show... but it doesn't hold up a candle to stark raving mad :corsair:

Stark raving mad was so good and I miss it

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

the_steve posted:

Weren't a lot of sitcoms guilty of wacky poo poo to one degree or another back then?
Sure, Family Matters got wackier than most, but, it seemed like any sitcom that went on long enough started feeling the need to introduce zany elements to shake things up.

Sometimes you gotta jump the shark

Dreadwind posted:

"Whomps" from Recess is my personal favorite. Plus they had an episode where they clearly illustrate that hard work will only get you so far, you have to exploit others to make the big bucks. Pretty solid show from what I remember

Recess was a great show that for some reason I think would hold up better than other shows from that era.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Tranch sounds really nasty in the way the voice actors put stank on it in Adventure Time.

I have called someone a globless tranch under my breath once and
felt very satisfied with my word choices.

This was definitely after age 30 so I should probably not feel so smug about it, but let’s be real, that’s a satisfying insult.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

the_steve posted:

Weird thing is I think the more recent trend is to go the other way around; The Big Bang Theory for one gradually turned into all of the characters getting married and having kids.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cleretic posted:

That's a technique I've seen in a few places, and it's a good idea, as long as your teens are... actually written like teens. The comic strip For Better Or Worse went down that road and just made it look even more hopelessly out of touch.
You're telling me this isn't how the kids are talking these days?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

You're telling me this isn't how the kids are talking these days?

What a pair of foobs.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Re: Better or Worse.

Didn't the author's husband divorce her, and from then on the father character got shat on/character assassinated in the comic?

Or am I thinking of someone else?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Pretty much. Most of the characters are based on her family.

The most egregious one is the son. I think the story goes that in real life he was a photographer for a newspaper, shot some pictures of a fatal car crash that he later learned was his friend.
In the comic Lynn re-wrote it so he saved his friend from the car and he later married her.
Also he's actually gay in real life, but straight in Lynn's perfect little comic world.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
That strip always seemed off to my 10 years old brain when I was reading the newspaper comics every day. Is this a rabbit hole worth pursuing? I love hearing about weird creators.

Also is it time to talk about Bosom Buddies yet?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

the_steve posted:

Now I'm really wishing there was a season of Frasier with body-swapping hijinks and time travel.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Bomrek posted:

That strip always seemed off to my 10 years old brain when I was reading the newspaper comics every day. Is this a rabbit hole worth pursuing? I love hearing about weird creators.

But Bosom Buddies is good. Actually it's probably aged like a body in a trunk, but it was always means to be absurd.

And I still haven't fully recovered from seeing Peter Scolari's junk in 'Girls'.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Bomrek posted:

It was bad enough to get three iterations of its own mock thread way back when which eventually just evolved into the comics strip thread in BSS.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2385104

Its in the goldmine but the images are all dead now which makes it kind of useless

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Smeg works I think because it's short & punchy in the same way gently caress is, and also cos it's already similar to a word that describes a gross thing but is not actually a swear word.

Kind of the opposite, but in Deadwood iirc they went with modern swearing instead of period accurate curses because it would have sounded a bit silly to modern ears and neutered the impact of the dialogue.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Didn't everyone just say gently caress frack back then anyway?

Smeg's good, but frack was great because it's close enough to the real word that, if I'm remembering correctly, the Sci-Fi (gently caress SyFy) channel still got frack flack for it.

Nothing beats forking though.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Krispy Wafer posted:

Didn't everyone just say gently caress frack back then anyway?

Smeg's good, but frack was great because it's close enough to the real word that, if I'm remembering correctly, the Sci-Fi (gently caress SyFy) channel still got frack flack for it.

I think the problem is that when a word is clearly used as a substitute, it feels artificial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcGKNlIO2mI

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Awwww son of a hazmot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCNDdlCo4rA&t=22s

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Moo the cow posted:

I think the problem is that when a word is clearly used as a substitute, it feels artificial:

Another strength of 'smeg', it actually isn't a straight one-to-one for any swear. It's clear what 'tier' of swear it is (roughly on the level of 'gently caress' and 'poo poo'), but that's about it, you can't even get a full idea if it's a noun or a verb. And nobody explains it, because it's just a term that everyone in the show already knows.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
It's smegma, you fool.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Smeg honestly is more offensive. Like when newspaper quotes write it as "rear end****" because it's a reference to an orifice.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
My aunt had a copy of a for better or worse book that was all the strips about the dog Farley from when he was a puppy til when he died saving the little kid from a river.

It was pretty traumatic. Not futurama sad but kind of messed up for a newspaper comic

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ambitious Spider posted:

My aunt had a copy of a for better or worse book that was all the strips about the dog Farley from when he was a puppy til when he died saving the little kid from a river.

It was pretty traumatic. Not futurama sad but kind of messed up for a newspaper comic

Calvin and Hobbes had some sad arcs iirc.

The burglary and maybe one other.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

The injured bird that Calvin finds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Yea, but there’s a difference between sad, and our kid being an idiot killed the beloved family pet. Like you could have the dog die heroically and not be the kids fault. I don’t know if the comic even thought this much about the story arc though so whatever.

The Calvin raccoon arc is goddamn heartbreaking