Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Just had to request a steam refund because the game doesn't support my antiquated graphics card and the world map is unplayably broken :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Playing one of the nordic kings and nothing crazy yet, but my wife and concubines are pumping out nordlets as fast as they can and I just squashed a peasant uprising. Seriously I have like six kids in three years.

I'm pretty dense when it comes to strat games but this was surprisingly easy to pick up. I played through the tutorial twice just to be sure I had a grasp on the basics. I'm sure I'm missing some of the subtler mechanics but it's fun to just dive in and start grabbing land.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

luxury handset posted:

unless i completely misunderstand you, in this case the capital barony is not what you should care about, but rather who holds the title. if a bishopric is formed where the bishop vassal is a count, then you can't switch them away by designating a new capital. instead, you would need to revoke the county title from the bishop and grant it either to the castle holding owner or the city mayor if you want to make a republic

if a county bishopric is locked theocratic for the entire game then that seems like a bug

What happened was that I took over a theocratic county. With too low innovation level (and no available slots anyway), I couldn't really revoke anything or build anything new, but after some very generous knighting of the local (childless) baron and sending him off to war, the barony in the same county became mine as well. I would have expected at that point to be able to point to the barony and go “I own the county; I own the barony; I want the latter to be the capital of the former (so I can then sell of the church to some sucker courtier)” — essentially the same as what you're describing for a vassal, but for myself. But I couldn't find any way of doing that.

I hadn't really considered converting it via vassal use, but that wouldn't have done me much good given the amount of hoop-jumping needed to get it back afterwards since revocations aren't unlocked yet. And either way, as you say, it seems more like a bug that you can't just assign a different holding as capital when you own everything in a county, so that kind of work-around shouldn't really be needed.

Hence my hoping that it's just a classic case of UI blindness.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

beer_war posted:

Yeah, this one is kind of a dealbreaker right now. You can't attach to allied armies, you can't tell them to attach to your armies, you can't tell them what to focus on, they just run around without rhyme or reason and you have to try your best to keep up lest your enemy picks you off one by one.

i had to surrender a war because my allies refused to put their combined 6k of army anywhere close to a siege or a battle, up until the point a random 8k stack that wasnt even involved in the war wandered by and they all decided to fight it, one by one, and all got stack wiped.

at one point i was sat here like this for a good minute or two and they wouldnt move. there were also other provinces that needed sieging down both mine and the enemies and they wouldnt go do anything. they even cancelled out of moving into battles with me multiple times.

i would be wary about any offensive wars where youre reliant on your allies to bolster you. if its just to push you over the edge its usually fine but if youre planningg on relying on them to be most of your muscle id change plans, and dont depend on them being enough in an actual defensive war if theyre not a straight up deterrent to getting decced at all.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Unlucky7 posted:

So I am guessing that going for King of Ireland after the tutorial is a good first game? I will see how far I go.

I'm discovering that picking the 800's start isn't a very good idea for there.

I got the duchies of Munster and Leinster formed, but lost Desmond to the Danes, am being stared at by the other Britannic Ásatrú pretty hungrily, and by the time it occurred to me to try and get marriage alliances to defend myself every powerful character nearby already had all their kids married to other realms.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
well, being friends with the king of scotland won't prevent him from declaring war on you while you're off on a crusade. Feels bad

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Being tethered to Partition succession for a good long while definitely makes centralizing and becoming super swole take longer this go around.

I am loving about in Andalusia and boy are Muslim casus belli still strong as hell. One question though

How do you reform a religion instead of making a new one? Say I wanted to tweak Muwalladism or what have you.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Ms Adequate posted:

Social anxiety sim of the year

Also I haven't had much trouble with AI allies, they've either stuck with my army directly or rushed over to a fight ASAP.

Ya AI seems pretty good in this. Your allies will actually show up and help you, and enemy armies will group and work together to take you out or run away.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Being tethered to Partition succession for a good long while definitely makes centralizing and becoming super swole take longer this go around.

I am loving about in Andalusia and boy are Muslim casus belli still strong as hell. One question though

How do you reform a religion instead of making a new one? Say I wanted to tweak Muwalladism or what have you.

It should just be a button at the bottom of the window when you open your faith screen on the bottom left of the screen.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Just had my first glitch, wouldn't let me leave the name child screen.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

make sure you click the text at the bottom that says "youll be strong" blah blah, i wasnt sure how to get out of that screen then realized its a button

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The Bold Kobold posted:

It should just be a button at the bottom of the window when you open your faith screen on the bottom left of the screen.

Isn’t that for creating a new religion?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

maybe ive just been extremely unlucky then, but ive gone with a run where my strategy has been abusing calling in ai allies a lot and going into prestige debt and its been a nightmare, im going to move away from doing it. it seems to get worse the more allies you call in. when ive brought in one i can mostly reliably get them to lock onto my stack, but splitting to siege multiple things has made them flip out and it seems difficult to get them to stick on a siege themselves and not get distracted. bringing in three or four allies has consistently been a trainwreck in the 3 or 4 wars ive done it in and i wont be doing it again, they just dont work right and seem to have a lot of issues working out which stack should go where that often ends up with them doing nothing or just endlessly going into a pathfinding loop like in ck2 or eu4 where they just keep moving and stopping. it wouldnt be so bad if there was an attach button like before.

rest of the game is great tho, just my fault for going for something strange and having it break.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to customize your ruler at the start now, or is that feature gone?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

queeb posted:

make sure you click the text at the bottom that says "youll be strong" blah blah, i wasnt sure how to get out of that screen then realized its a button

lmao okay. Glad it's not just me who got got.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Stress mechanic really makes you feel like some sort of trickster demon who really just ruins the lives of your character. I drove this sweet little lady with the nice traits like Compassionate and Just into coldblooded murder because I really wanted this guy's poo poo and she had a nervous breakdown and started hitting the bottle. She had adopted a stray cat that sometimes took the anxiety away but I made her give it up because it kept attacking courtiers. Feasts don't help either because she's Shy and doesn't like being around people. So the best I can do is have her stay secluded and take little bits of stress off by refusing to answer letters.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

JosefStalinator posted:

Is there a way to customize your ruler at the start now, or is that feature gone?

It's gone for now but I have seen a lot of people acting like it's going to returning, but I don't know if that's assumption or confirmed by Paradox.

Btw on levies not refilling, be aware that the big number on your military screen includes any special troops you have, like the ones Halfdan starts with in Jorvik; the thing is these stacks don't reinforce so you can be sitting there after a few big battles wondering why you can't get above like 1100 out of your supposed total of 5800 troops or whatever. You also can't delete the special units, I eventually had them worn down to like 5 mans each so I raised only them and walked them into a big enemy stack, once they got wiped out entirely they vanished from the military screen and my troop total was accurate.

Really missed some opportunities because I thought recovering manpower just took an insanely long time and didn't want to start a war at what looked to be under 20% strength

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
BORN TO RAID/ CHRIST IS A gently caress / Kill Em All 867 / I am viking man / 410,757,864,530 DEAD ANGLO-SAXONS

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I loaded up as the zoroastrians in Mazandaran, and all of the lords in my towns have the clan government type and thus aren't generating any tax or levies, even though my government type is fuedal. How do I change that?

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
I can't believe I did all of those challenges for hairstyles and the game just gives you the most powerful hat, giant turban, for free.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm playing the tutorial and it's not SO bad, I got an elective succession for my kingdom title and then I just kinda revoke whatever duchy I lost in the hubbub. Crush revolt, revoke titles, reorganize realm, etc.

A few things I've noticed after playing the game nearly nonstop since release:
-War can still be pretty annoying, allies will leave you out to dry sometimes and just not gather with you, sometimes they are good, sometimes not, who knows! And then the whackamole begins.
-A character focused on stewardship makes so much money. Like, so much. Way more than any of my previous rulers, drat.
-One of my favorite rulers was a Shy ruler who I kept forcing into social situations and drank all the time to deal with the stress. So far several of my Irish rulers "drank themselves to death" (which just seems to mean dying of old age with the Drunkard trait)
-I did find what I think may be bugs, the house head does not seem to work very well, often my king would not be the house head and instead it'd be some random wanderer, child, or duchess instead. That doesn't seem right. And it seems that swapping my realm capital does not change which duchy my primary heir inherits. Not sure if I'm missing a way to change my "primary" duchy.
-On a positive bug side, it seems like the crusade/war contribution is weighted heavily in favor of the player or something, I was getting ridiculous contribution to the crusade even though I doubt I was the main combatant. Every time I sent a force and did at least some battle and sieged 1-2 counties it'd give me max contribution.
-Seljuks are hilarious because they have like several hundred living dynasty members and blob like nothing else.

It's really fun.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 2, 2020

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I've sort of checked out from Paradox games for awhile. I really liked CK because things could blow up Dwarf Fortress-style for reasons entirely out of your control, and I really disliked CK2 because Johan decided that the game should cater to min-maxing dorks like Arumba who want to spend time strategizing over getting a +6% to tax levying by betrothing a courtier from the Orkney Islands or whatever rather than making a fun roleplaying game. Anyway I'm wondering if CK3 is more of a fun and believable roleplay experience or if it is it more of the gamefied CK2 experience

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
They really need to find and fix whatever the gently caress is giving AI these absurd deathstacks.The duchess of Lothian has more troops than the entire HRE

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

sum posted:

I've sort of checked out from Paradox games for awhile. I really liked CK because things could blow up Dwarf Fortress-style for reasons entirely out of your control, and I really disliked CK2 because Johan decided that the game should cater to min-maxing dorks like Arumba who want to spend time strategizing over getting a +6% to tax levying by betrothing a courtier from the Orkney Islands or whatever rather than making a fun roleplaying game. Anyway I'm wondering if CK3 is more of a fun and believable roleplay experience or if it is it more of the gamefied CK2 experience

It’s still fundamentally CK2.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Should I be arranging marriages for my siblings/Everyone as soon as I could, or just for my main line?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Unlucky7 posted:

Should I be arranging marriages for my siblings/Everyone as soon as I could, or just for my main line?

yes, and there doesn't seem to be a mechanism to search for unmarried people in your court

Succumbed to temptation and got this, starting with the matriarchal african achievement lady. She starts off married to the other local high chieftain, which leads to some real frenemy poo poo down the line.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I did the same thing I'm hearing a lot of in this thread: "I'm tired tonight, I'll just breeze through the tutorial and get into it for real on a night when I have more time..." and then look up and it's six hours later.

Stux posted:

maybe ive just been extremely unlucky then, but ive gone with a run where my strategy has been abusing calling in ai allies a lot and going into prestige debt and its been a nightmare, im going to move away from doing it. it seems to get worse the more allies you call in. when ive brought in one i can mostly reliably get them to lock onto my stack, but splitting to siege multiple things has made them flip out and it seems difficult to get them to stick on a siege themselves and not get distracted. bringing in three or four allies has consistently been a trainwreck in the 3 or 4 wars ive done it in and i wont be doing it again, they just dont work right and seem to have a lot of issues working out which stack should go where that often ends up with them doing nothing or just endlessly going into a pathfinding loop like in ck2 or eu4 where they just keep moving and stopping. it wouldnt be so bad if there was an attach button like before.

rest of the game is great tho, just my fault for going for something strange and having it break.

Where I've had luck with them is making sure I have enough troops of my own to do the siege, the AI allies seem content to chase the countersieging rear end in a top hat armies all around the map walloping the crap out of them while I sit on the city walls. Just don't expect them to help out on the actual siege. Hopefully they do some kind of attach army thing in the future.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

They really need to find and fix whatever the gently caress is giving AI these absurd deathstacks.The duchess of Lothian has more troops than the entire HRE

Are you looking at everybody's allies before you declare? Because that could be the HRE coming to help....

edit: oh fuckin thank you pope, for that learning 3 archbishop dolt you just gave me

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 2, 2020

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

GreyjoyBastard posted:

yes, and there doesn't seem to be a mechanism to search for unmarried people in your court

Succumbed to temptation and got this, starting with the matriarchal african achievement lady. She starts off married to the other local high chieftain, which leads to some real frenemy poo poo down the line.

What should I be looking for in marrying off family members then? See if they are related to some land that I may want to press a claim for later?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Unlucky7 posted:

What should I be looking for in marrying off family members then? See if they are related to some land that I may want to press a claim for later?

Just a side note there is a diplomacy/Diplomat lifestyle tech that allows you to make alliances without marriages, its only two deep. (but you may want to grab friendships because they really gotta like you)

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Willfrey posted:

Are you looking at everybody's allies before you declare? Because that could be the HRE coming to help....

edit: oh fuckin thank you pope, for that learning 3 archbishop dolt you just gave me

Nope just 8000 levies by itself

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Jesus Christ battles are lethal. Maybe it was cause there was a significant number imbalance, but one losing battle scythed through my knights like grass.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

God drat Ireland in 867 is just a war torn hell hole.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I’m having fun being unable to pick a start and stick with it. Also I was defending an Irish opm from three different Viking conquests and when one of them won I got stuck defending the guy I just lost a war against from the other two?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Unlucky7 posted:

In roughly descending order for family that are not meaningfully in the line of succession:

- Edit: (young) Age for women, you want as many fertile years as possible
- Positive congenital traits, because this is Eugenics Simulator 2020
- Good claims
- Good stats, prowess in particular is still handy if you have good councilors and good backup councilors, more knights for the meatgrinder
- Bad claims
- Warm body to pump out more dynasty members / roll the dice for good stats and spontaneous congenital traits

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 2, 2020

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

SweetBro posted:

Anyone know why my Levy isn't reinforcing itself to its cap? The reinforcement rate is at zero. They're not raised. I'm not a war. Not running a budget defeceit.

Any good answers to this? My Bohemian count needs his levy to take the duchy from his uncle.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sorry for what's probably an obvious question, but where do I see my dude's current stress level?

EDIT: Nevermind I found it after posting, as is law.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

JosefStalinator posted:

Sorry for what's probably an obvious question, but where do I see my dude's current stress level?

EDIT: Nevermind I found it after posting, as is law.

It’s the red vertical bar in the bottom-left hand corner of the screen.

My murder-king of Leon got good use out of his intrigue stat. Offed the Castile brother and invaded Navarre, but still didn’t have enough levies to conquer Galicia. So I murdered the brother over there too, and since his infant son had zero martial skill and no allies it was a quick victorious war.

Then every Muslim on the peninsula and halfway to Baghdad invaded me and I died, but it was a good run. 10/10 would poison again.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Dirk Pitt posted:

Any good answers to this? My Bohemian count needs his levy to take the duchy from his uncle.

Maybe Control in your county is low so you aren't getting the full amount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else have the issue that some of the little tooltips don't actually stay when you try to mouse over them? It seems to work sometimes, but not always.