Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal
Started playing as the duke of Apulia and my wife has a pressed claim on a neighboring duchy. I get the declare war option for the current owner of the duchy, and her claims do show up in the casus belli list. However, it is marked with a "No claims to press" marker, and I cannot declare the war to press her claims. Screenshot here:

Anyone know why that is? My best guess would be that I cannot press it because she would be a duke and therefore independant from me, her husband?

Played that game for about ~6 hours yesterday, just a massive improvement over CK 2 so far. The army management has been mentioned already, just so much more comfortable with rally points, the integration of retinues into the armies as men-of-arms, the addition of knights and so on. Removing the advisor slots on the council also feels like a great change. Makes the available council spots somewhat precious when it comes to keeping your vassals happy.

I think I like the changes to succession even more. Not being able to immediately switch to some form of one heir gets everything via primogeniture/elective forces you to actually deal with realm splintering. In my game as the duke of Apulia, I managed to form the kingdom of Sicily ~2 months before I died, keeping the realm together. But I had not consolidated my titles before since I was busy creating the kingdom, so my primary heir received: the kingdom, the duchy of Apulia, and a single county. My halfbrother got the duchy of sicily, including 4 counties. He also received the count of the one sicilian county he does not hold directly as a vassal. Said vassal holds two other county titles. Luckily, he fell on a knife, multiple times, before his first child was born. In CK2, I rarely got into these situations because I could not help myself and switched over to elective/primogeniture as soon as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

JosefStalinator posted:

Does anyone else have the issue that some of the little tooltips don't actually stay when you try to mouse over them? It seems to work sometimes, but not always.

Keep hovering the initial word until the border on the tooltip changes, then you can mouse over the tooltip.

Alternatively, go into the options and pick one of the alternative ways for tooltip locking to work.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Omnicarus posted:

God drat Ireland in 867 is just a war torn hell hole.

The 867 start appears to be "All war all the time" no matter where you are. I tried China and India and made it maybe 10-12 years in both before wars started either along my borders or with me.

Even with the chaos the game sure is fun.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Well this is a new one....if there is a Jihad called on the kingdom you are a vassal of...you want it to lose. Even though I was a Muslim and fighting IN the Jihad...I lost all my land when we won? Even though all my territory is muslim and I am muslim...

:psyduck:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Jabor posted:

Keep hovering the initial word until the border on the tooltip changes, then you can mouse over the tooltip.

Alternatively, go into the options and pick one of the alternative ways for tooltip locking to work.

They really should've included this as a tip in the tutorial instead of having it pop up later, it's really confusing before you see it.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I was too busy playing this game to post about it. Well, if I say playing, I mean staring at map for a good while trying to pick some ruler and then mainly losing to some mercenary-using neighbor few years after the start.

It seems commanders might more often die in battles and taking hostages events happen far more often, most wars in my close vicinity were won in this way. And I miss "falsely adopt faith", oh well.

Also, tooltips not staying so I can read them was making me mad for a while.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

GreyjoyBastard posted:

In roughly descending order for family that are not meaningfully in the line of succession:

- Positive congenital traits, because this is Eugenics Simulator 2020
- Good claims
- Good stats, prowess in particular is still handy if you have good councilors and good backup councilors, more knights for the meatgrinder
- Bad claims
- Warm body to pump out more dynasty members / roll the dice for good stats and spontaneous congenital traits

So basically I want to make sure there is still a decent chance they produce kids. I married two half brothers off for a far away claim and alliances but no chance to produce kids, so I think I may want to go back to an earlier save and fix that.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
It's so great to see all of you (or at least most of you!) enjoying the game! Just wanted to pop in to say

1. ilu :love:

2. We're keeping a very close eye on the issues some of you are experiencing. Some things are working as intended but are inadequately explained, some are edge case glitches, and some are, well, CTDs and outright bugs.

Aside from previous announcements (such as the ruler designer coming in a free update at some point), you won't see us commenting on individual issues in much detail, even if they may already have been addressed in an internal build. But you are seen!

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Dee Ehm posted:

I've done the king of Ireland thing, now I've got a crap ton of titles and I have no idea how to hand these out and divy up my duchies without making any vassal too powerful. I really don't understand what the "liege holds de jure duchy" malus means and how to best resolve it outside of just handing the complaining earl an entire duchy (which probably includes my own demense counties I'd like to keep).

luxury handset posted:

"liege holds de jure duchy" just means that you, the liege, are the duke of whatever and that count wants to be the duke. it's the natural friction of feudalism, your vassals bristle a bit because they want the titles you hold. you can't really do anything about it, part of the game is just learning which squeaky wheel vassals you can ignore and which will eventually try to lay siege to you

I believe that penalty happens specifically if you are more than 1 level above a direct vassal in the emperor > king > duke > count hierarchy. So if you hold a king title, but also have a count as direct vassal, that count will have the penalty because his thinking is "If you are my liege, and you are a king, than I should be a duke goddammit!". So ideally you want to hold all counties in a duchy title you hold directly if you are a king, all duchies in a kingdom title you hold directly if you are an emperor.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Magil Zeal posted:

Maybe Control in your county is low so you aren't getting the full amount?

This is my guess as to why that's happening as well. I think the levy count shows the maximum theoretical levies your territory can support, but if control is below 100 it will stop replenishing before that point. Vassals tend to be pretty bad at keeping control at maximum so it's pretty common that you won't be at 100% control throughout your entire realm.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I'm really enjoying the game but I'm finding that title loss on succession really isn't very clear - at least not as Ireland under tanistry. I just lost half the kingdom because some distant relative is a duchess in Leon with no warning. I save scummed (and did the honourable thing and assassinated her to solve the problem) but there was no warning anywhere that this was going to happen. The only place it indicated it at all was on the succession screen where it said she was inheriting titles, but I swear in CK2 there's a massive warning about that.

Now my heir is my son, who is mysteriously in control of a barony in the HRE. If the tanistry electors decide that someone else should be my heir... I have no idea if my kingdom will split again. Also no idea how my heir ended up as a baron. I was his guardian then when I went to arrange his marriage he wasn't at my court. Not sure if this is buggy or if it's intended that family members will disappear from your court all the time.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Dwesa posted:

I was too busy playing this game to post about it. Well, if I say playing, I mean staring at map for a good while trying to pick some ruler and then mainly losing to some mercenary-using neighbor few years after the start.

It seems commanders might more often die in battles and taking hostages events happen far more often, most wars in my close vicinity were won in this way. And I miss "falsely adopt faith", oh well.

Also, tooltips not staying so I can read them was making me mad for a while.

Yeah hostage taking seems to be a much bigger factor than in ck2. I ignored the remainder of an enemies army after beating it once and started sieging down their holdings instead. Their army beelined to my capitol, sieged it down, captured my ruler and forced my to surrender.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Played the tutorial. Since you start with just one (relatively bad) heir that's already adult, I told myself I'd remarry a young lady to try and get a couple more sons JUST IN CASE.

Turns out Murchad is a hell of a stallion and fathered another 4 sons + 1 daughter within 8 years. Proceeded to conquer the duchies of Connacht and Ulster, took money from the Pope, formed the kingdom of Ireland title and diplo-vassalized two of the three counts left. The last one was a 70 years old rear end in a top hat that wouldn't vassalize willingly, so hey I'm younger than him (55) and have a shitton more levies, so let's just conquer him even if it pisses him off more. I promptly died two years later and my heir (who only managed to produce 2 daughters despite me marrying him to a comely lady) got the kingdom, the duchy of Munster and the capital county only while my horde of half-brothers got all the rest. And of course due to -20 short reign penalty, bunch of claims everyone has on everyone else around and my mediocre stats/traits everybody that's not close family mostly hates me, and family barely tolerates me.

Cue the birth a faction for installing the now 72 y.o. pissed off vassal as king, which I try to resist but I now had 700 levies vs their 2000+ so there was not much point. Got back to being a count, the old bastard king finally croaks a couple years later, so now one of my half-brothers is in charge and the kingdom rules changed to elective for some reason. Decided to call it quits at that point because that's 5 hours of my life that just evaporated and I needed to be at work this morning :v:

10/10 will play again and a loooot more

a few random questions and thoughts:

It might be that my characters were all especially bad at intrigue, but is there no hostile scheme besides murdering people? For that matter, is there any personal scheme besides sway/seduce? The lifestyle perk points came pretty slowly so I didn't have much of a chance to pump up my skills and options that way, I know diplomacy has a perk that unlocks the befriend scheme and intrigue has a perk for fabricate hook and abduction schemes but it seems like there's not much choice there unless you're going down the schemer tree. Isn't there some kind of plot to revoke counties from your vassals and stuff like that?

Education is weird. I like that you can choose to modify your ward's traits by "paying" with your own stress, but I don't like how there's no way to give them an education different from yours (that I have found). Do I have to give my child as ward to someone with the desired education trait for the last couple of years like it was in CK2?

I like the new building system but I get paralyzed when I have to choose what to put in my holdings. Gold is precious and I want to make my builds count but I'm afraid of getting the wrong one all the time. I should probably stop overthinking and just build things that give me money, I guess.

All in all it seems that there are less decisions and events, but that might just be that I didn't play too much. I miss societies and artifacts and I hope they'll come in a DLC soon.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Welp, already have 11 hours into this and it came out less than a day ago.

Did the tutorial before switching over to Russian steppe as I normally do. 867 in Minsk is a hellhole. Everyone always wants me to come fight in their wars, and I have no time to fight any of my own. When I finally get my levies recovered, they're asking for my help again. Eventually I had to tell my allies to gently caress off so I could subjugate a neighbor and form the White Rus' kingdom.

I had the issue with vassals not filling back up too, and solved it with a bit of raiding. They still don't reach max, but they get a lot closer.

The only serious gameplay bug I've found is that if I split armies they can't be moved independently. I've tried it every way I can think of, and Army A will follow Army B, and Army B will follow Army A. However, if I manually split it by regiment, it works. Now I just need to figure out how Khazaria works so I can smash it and form Russia.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I have a feeling having this is going to be a question that will hound this thread, but has the game dodged the problem which horribly plagued Stellaris and Imperator wherein there was a massive void of content? I appreciate that the game cannot have everything CK2 could have due to the sheer amount of DLC, but does it feel relatively 'complete' regardless?

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Is there a map mode to see the level of control in counties or a bar or something somewhere? I Keep getting the pop up but it's annoying I can't seem to find an overview or ledger.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Chalks posted:

I'm really enjoying the game but I'm finding that title loss on succession really isn't very clear - at least not as Ireland under tanistry. I just lost half the kingdom because some distant relative is a duchess in Leon with no warning. I save scummed (and did the honourable thing and assassinated her to solve the problem) but there was no warning anywhere that this was going to happen. The only place it indicated it at all was on the succession screen where it said she was inheriting titles, but I swear in CK2 there's a massive warning about that.

Now my heir is my son, who is mysteriously in control of a barony in the HRE. If the tanistry electors decide that someone else should be my heir... I have no idea if my kingdom will split again. Also no idea how my heir ended up as a baron. I was his guardian then when I went to arrange his marriage he wasn't at my court. Not sure if this is buggy or if it's intended that family members will disappear from your court all the time.

You no longer get the warning, but you can still see the information under realm -> succession:

Edit: Unless you meant this by succession screen and not the "you have died and been succeeded by" screen you get on ruler death.

Schnitzler fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 2, 2020

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TorakFade posted:

Played the tutorial. Since you start with just one (relatively bad) heir that's already adult, I told myself I'd remarry a young lady to try and get a couple more sons JUST IN CASE.

Turns out Murchad is a hell of a stallion and fathered another 4 sons + 1 daughter within 8 years. Proceeded to conquer the duchies of Connacht and Ulster, took money from the Pope, formed the kingdom of Ireland title and diplo-vassalized two of the three counts left. The last one was a 70 years old rear end in a top hat that wouldn't vassalize willingly, so hey I'm younger than him (55) and have a shitton more levies, so let's just conquer him even if it pisses him off more. I promptly died two years later and my heir (who only managed to produce 2 daughters despite me marrying him to a comely lady) got the kingdom, the duchy of Munster and the capital county only while my horde of half-brothers got all the rest. And of course due to -20 short reign penalty, bunch of claims everyone has on everyone else around and my mediocre stats/traits everybody that's not close family mostly hates me, and family barely tolerates me.

Cue the birth a faction for installing the now 72 y.o. pissed off vassal as king, which I try to resist but I now had 700 levies vs their 2000+ so there was not much point. Got back to being a count, the old bastard king finally croaks a couple years later, so now one of my half-brothers is in charge and the kingdom rules changed to elective for some reason. Decided to call it quits at that point because that's 5 hours of my life that just evaporated and I needed to be at work this morning :v:

10/10 will play again and a loooot more

a few random questions and thoughts:

It might be that my characters were all especially bad at intrigue, but is there no hostile scheme besides murdering people? For that matter, is there any personal scheme besides sway/seduce? The lifestyle perk points came pretty slowly so I didn't have much of a chance to pump up my skills and options that way, I know diplomacy has a perk that unlocks the befriend scheme and intrigue has a perk for fabricate hook and abduction schemes but it seems like there's not much choice there unless you're going down the schemer tree. Isn't there some kind of plot to revoke counties from your vassals and stuff like that?

Education is weird. I like that you can choose to modify your ward's traits by "paying" with your own stress, but I don't like how there's no way to give them an education different from yours (that I have found). Do I have to give my child as ward to someone with the desired education trait for the last couple of years like it was in CK2?

I like the new building system but I get paralyzed when I have to choose what to put in my holdings. Gold is precious and I want to make my builds count but I'm afraid of getting the wrong one all the time. I should probably stop overthinking and just build things that give me money, I guess.

All in all it seems that there are less decisions and events, but that might just be that I didn't play too much. I miss societies and artifacts and I hope they'll come in a DLC soon.

You can change their education focus but the game doesn't make it very obvious - it's a little book icon that will appear next to their portrait when you select them, that will show up when they turn 6 or so (I'm not sure the exact age). You can only change it once but by the time it shows up their childhood traits are locked in so they aren't going to suddenly develop one that will make them fail at their educational path (at least, specifically. They might still develop traits that make them lovely students in general - although I don't know if stuff like lazy actually does have an impact).

Fader Movitz posted:

Is there a map mode to see the level of control in counties or a bar or something somewhere? I Keep getting the pop up but it's annoying I can't seem to find an overview or ledger.

There doesn't seem to be one in the map mode selection itself, but when you pick the "raise control" job for your marshal it will show control levels. Although you kind of have to figure out what the colours mean by yourself.

Nation of Thizzlam
Sep 9, 2010

Tear off the chains and the entire world will be free

Holy crap, I'm amazed that Gamepass already has CK3 on it. Super excited to have my rule ended due to my own ineptitude multitudes of times until I figure out how to properly be a satanist king.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So what's the sick overpowered religion tenet set I should reform to

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Tuscany is a fun start, this is where I was at ~1 year before I died

I'm disappointed I didn't get to finish beating up the pope.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Figured I was going to try to unify the Russian empire starting as Rurik for my first playthrough, for the achievement. And while clicking through various religious stuff just looking at what can be done, having had a giggle about marrying my intelligent heir to an albino, I'm now thinking about trying to create a new albino master race and go for the Pure-Bred trait(is there an achievement for it?) while also unifying Russia.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You can change their education focus but the game doesn't make it very obvious - it's a little book icon that will appear next to their portrait when you select them, that will show up when they turn 6 or so (I'm not sure the exact age). You can only change it once but by the time it shows up their childhood traits are locked in so they aren't going to suddenly develop one that will make them fail at their educational path (at least, specifically. They might still develop traits that make them lovely students in general - although I don't know if stuff like lazy actually does have an impact).

Ahhh thanks. The new UI is great (it's hard to adapt to it but it's very functional) but there's still some info that is pretty well hidden, like this button, the dread value and a bunch of other things I spent an eternity to find and can't remember right now.

Also, is there a people finder somewhere? When I switched to my heir with only two daughters I couldn't divorce my old barren wife for some unclear reason (and the murder plot was too unlikely to succeed) , so I wanted to seduce a comely wench or two in order to get a son but my court and those of the two closest neighbors seemed to be completely devoid of women.

I forgot to say I love the dread mechanic. Both having cowardly people scared of me as soon as I did anything that wasn't all puppies and rainbows, and hardasses that wouldn't be scared even if I chopped off their brother's head in front of them. Ah and it's great to be able to get a hook by releasing people from jail; I did that with a guy that I captured in battle, thinking I wouldn't get much use out of it since he was unlanded and totally unimportant to anyone, but he surprised me by coming out of the blue a couple years later offering to exchange his hook for my court chaplain's lover secret enabling me to blackmail him :getin:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Schnitzler posted:

Started playing as the duke of Apulia and my wife has a pressed claim on a neighboring duchy. I get the declare war option for the current owner of the duchy, and her claims do show up in the casus belli list. However, it is marked with a "No claims to press" marker, and I cannot declare the war to press her claims. Screenshot here:

Anyone know why that is? My best guess would be that I cannot press it because she would be a duke and therefore independant from me, her husband?

This could be totally wrong, but based on CK2 logic I'm going to guess that the duchy in question has a male-only succession law, so she is not eligible to take the title even though she has a claim. Her son would inherit her claim and be able to press it.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Magil Zeal posted:

Maybe Control in your county is low so you aren't getting the full amount?

No I have 100 control in my 3 counties. I did raise my levy and dismiss it and things seem to be filling again. So maybe it is a bug or the levy won’t reinforce unless raised? :thunk:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Speaking of control, is there anything I can do to raise it in newly conquered territories? Every time I take a place and vassalize, they're super angry and control is low and I don't know whether it's something you just wait out, or if there are things you can do to actively raise it.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Started a game as Haestein and got completely destroyed by Petty Kings all declaring at me at once. Started as Count Eudes in 876 and then after having played for 30 minutes I noticed it wasn't Ironman. After that I decided to play as the last Karling Count of Vermandois in 1066 and managed to make that character the King of France within his lifetime, after that his son inherited and I had to kill his 2 year old brother and made a disfigured cousin the King of Jersualem. I look forward to playing more tonight and forming the Empire of Francia and try to place the Karlings in as many Kingdoms as possible.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Qubee posted:

Speaking of control, is there anything I can do to raise it in newly conquered territories? Every time I take a place and vassalize, they're super angry and control is low and I don't know whether it's something you just wait out, or if there are things you can do to actively raise it.

Send your marshal in

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Qubee posted:

I feel like even veterans should at least whip through the tutorial to check out all the new stuff... It is one of your marshals jobs ;)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Eimi posted:

Well this is a new one....if there is a Jihad called on the kingdom you are a vassal of...you want it to lose. Even though I was a Muslim and fighting IN the Jihad...I lost all my land when we won? Even though all my territory is muslim and I am muslim...

:psyduck:

“Great Holy Wars can only be declared by a Head of Faith whose faith has the Warmonger, Armed Pilgrimages or Struggle and Submission tenets and can only target Kingdoms ruled by a character of a different Faith. If victorious all Titles within the targeted Kingdom are seized and divided between the attackers based on their War Contribution. Great Holy Wars can be Directed or Undirected. Great Holy Wars do not cause Vassal No Opinion loss no matter how long they last.”

This would probably explain it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, turns out I do not need to go back; The brothers I was talking about were in their late 30s and 40s and apparently they just can't get it up no matter who I pair them with. They already have kids that are marriageable though!

Another dumb question: Is it possible to have more than one weak or strong hook on a single character, or do I need to spend that hook before getting another one?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Schnitzler posted:

You no longer get the warning, but you can still see the information under realm -> succession:

Edit: Unless you meant this by succession screen and not the "you have died and been succeeded by" screen you get on ruler death.

Yeah, but that screen is identical whether you're losing those titles personally to someone who will then become your vassal, or if those titles will leave your kingdom entirely. Under the partition laws you've always got a bunch of titles being lost on succession and the only way to know if they're going to leave your kingdom is to go through everyone manually and make sure they don't get granted land under some other liege at any point.

Also does anyone know if my son being a baron in the HRE would cause my kingdom to split if he inherits a bunch of land on succession without being my heir? I feel like because the duchy is a higher level title maybe the barony will leave the HRE instead but I'm not sure how it works.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Reveilled posted:

This could be totally wrong, but based on CK2 logic I'm going to guess that the duchy in question has a male-only succession law, so she is not eligible to take the title even though she has a claim. Her son would inherit her claim and be able to press it.

I am also not sure about this, but I would think that in that case, she would not get a claim in the first place? Male-only succession has the properties "women cannot inherit claims/women are disqualified from inheritance", so I would assume that male-only succession titles do not give claims to women at all. The title in question is male-preference, so women do get claims.
In CK2, claims where seperated in weak and strong, and you had conditions for pressing weak claims, like current ruler is female/a child. In CK3, that seems to be gone, and claims are either pressed (will be inherited by children) or unpressed (will not be inherited by children). That makes me think that you should always be able to press any claim a character holds it. But that's just me guessing here.

Schnitzler fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Sep 2, 2020

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Hmm King of Ireland is a lot harder when Malcolm of Scotland decides it's a good time to invade.

Instead I'm off to go create the Bengal Empire.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Started as my homeland, Minsk, in 867.

The Slavic religion is very much oriented for having a grand Slavic union that doesn't expand beyond its lands. All Slavic people like each other more, especially vassals, you culture convert counties of your religion faster and you religion convert counties of your culture faster. But you get a penalty on converting anything of wrong religion and/or culture. My starting character Ruslan Ruslanovich is unremarkable and he starts with that Stewardship/Duty focus which feels lost on tribals. My vassals like me, I guess, but court politics is limited for Tribals. It feels like this start is distinct from other, even neighbors.

All the rulers feel more active than I remember from CK2. I also like that some diplomatic focus may allow rulers to just plainly ask for an alliance as if they're in EU4. Raiding is brutal and leads to rivalry. Belarus is all forests so Slavic Bowmen FTW. Buildings are more interesting than they used to be: it's no longer just a single stat upgrade. Palisade helps with defense obviously, but also with archers, so I'm turning everything into a palisade country.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
The suggestions / issues widget thing is great but makes it easy to forget about the things that don't show up there. Things that don't show up but maybe should:
* You can increase crown authority
* You can ransom prisoners (I discovered the prisoners tab and realised I had like 10 children in my dungeon, sorry kids)
* You can pick an educational focus (seems like it picks one automatically based on childhood traits which is sensible)

I guess it's cool that you can pick any outfit / hairstyle you want but I think I'd rather be locked into the appropriate tier and change my outfit and crown when I rank up, as a treat. Also maybe hair / beard changes depending on the kind of life you are leading. Bet there will be a mod for this.

I hate fighting fuckin wars. I did the same thing I bet a lot of you did where I was sitting pretty in Ireland and confidently joined a crusade and then got wiped out completely. Surrounded by allies demonstrating a marked lack of crusader spirit. Although it was pretty funny seeing my ruler and his five remaining knights (literally all that was left of the army) plodding back home on their own.

My dream mod would be called something like "decisive wars" and it would work like this:
* Attacker army and all allied armies gather on the attacker rally point to form a single attacking army
* Defender army and all allied armies gather on the war goal and stay there
* Attacker army marches on the war goal
* One big battle
* The end

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CTD just wiped my entire campaign. I don't see any local saves for it. Maybe there's something in the cloud, but I don't know how to access cloud saves from the xbox app (gamepass version)

So that's a thing, I guess. Never play on ironman mode, or else you might just lose your entire campaign.

edit: Oddly enough, it does show my ruling family from when I CTD'ed, but I just don't have any saves from that campaign visible:

Granted, I never made any manual saves. I played from the campaign start to the CTD, and it's the autosaves that are missing. I see autosaves from my other campaign, but not this one. loving weird.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Sep 2, 2020

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

fuf posted:

* You can ransom prisoners (I discovered the prisoners tab and realised I had like 10 children in my dungeon, sorry kids)
* You can pick an educational focus (seems like it picks one automatically based on childhood traits which is sensible)

It told me about the prisoners. But the educational focus suggestion is needed indeed.

I'd also prefer if "you have allies who will join your defensive war" to be an alert instead of a suggestion. From what I can see you don't lose anything from calling them.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Started a game as Aland. Conquered the Duchy of Finland. Conquering tribals is awful. You have to pay like, 500 gold to reform them into feudal holdings. I ended up having to convert to Catholicism because Erik the Heathen lost his rebellion, and I didn't want my titles revoked. I gave some thought to modifying the contract with the other Erik, but the Aland character started with traits that would be virtuous if he were catholic, and I decided that just going with it made more sense. Balance of power is really weird. Allies and Mercs punch way above their weight class. As an unaffiliated count in Sweden, there were periods where it said my liege's army was "Similar" to my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Granted, I never made any manual saves. I played from the campaign start to the CTD, and it's the autosaves that are missing. I see autosaves from my other campaign, but not this one. loving weird.

BIG CTD PROTIP: If you find you've lost your ironman saves after a CTD, look in the CK3 folder in your documents folder. Go to the "crashes" directory and find the "last_save.ck3" file. copy that over to your saves, and you can recover from where you left off. Glad I found this.