Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Funk In Shoe posted:

no my PhD is In philosophy and im a self taught computer toucher and quite literally pretty dumb for real. or at least quite dumb, like 98 IQ ish, and i truly don’t understand how people do calculations like those or even how they know what kind of knowledge is required to get started.

like I saw the elephant and the cables and my brain just shut off and gave up instantly; like to me that question came off as literally impossible to even get started on.

Man talk about reinforcing stereotypes of philosophy folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funk In Shoe
Apr 20, 2008

Waiting in line, Mr. Haydon told me it is a wheel not meant for lovers but for infants, lifting people and letting them swing, putting the world on display from up high

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Man talk about reinforcing stereotypes of philosophy folks

I’m even one of the smarter ones because I got out.

yesterday in traffic I ended behind one of the old profs from my department in an intersection and he stalled his car twice at the green light and then almost caused a crash from suddenly jerking left into oncoming traffic.

dude spent his entire adult life reading Kant and doesn’t know how to make a left.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
To be fair I'm in math and there is no lack of people who are clearly unable to handle the real world outside of campus

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Are there even any STEM fields left right now with better career outcomes than philosophy that dont mean you spend all day fine tuning maternity ward seeking missiles

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Coding whiz for the surveillance state I guess?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Lots of engineering jobs in the energy and materials sector so you could also just help burn down the earth

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I program sex robots (which will be used to pilot drones in the future).

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

I program sex robots (which will be used to pilot drones in the future).

Yes yes we've all played Nier Automata

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

Are there even any STEM fields left right now with better career outcomes than philosophy that dont mean you spend all day fine tuning maternity ward seeking missiles

I make science robots, it pays like 70% of making murder robots but I don’t see burning children when I close my eyes

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Pilot drones that target babies and drill for oil, while looking sexy.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bastard Tetris posted:

I make science robots, it pays like 70% of making murder robots but I don’t see burning children when I close my eyes

Are they the kind of science robots that turn working class people into homeless people

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Epic High Five posted:

Are they the kind of science robots that turn working class people into homeless people

Working class people into produce

Funk In Shoe
Apr 20, 2008

Waiting in line, Mr. Haydon told me it is a wheel not meant for lovers but for infants, lifting people and letting them swing, putting the world on display from up high

Epic High Five posted:

well ive been working with machine learning algorithms for health decisions and it's really fulfipphphhwewwwhahahahah

Funk In Shoe
Apr 20, 2008

literally engineers and CS weirdos doing machine learning on health data is the dumbest + scariest poo poo youll ever see

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Funk In Shoe posted:

well ive been working with machine learning algorithms for health decisions and it's really fulfipphphhwewwwhahahahah

I've refused to engage with any of these tools offered by any of my employers ever on the grounds that it's almost certainly just giving HR a weapon against me and more likely just a system to fine tune speeding up the liquidation of the most workers possible without causing mass flight

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Epic High Five posted:

No and its a far more stable career path lmfao

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Funk In Shoe posted:

Do you spend a whole month and millions of kilojoules of energy doing deep learning

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I went to sleep at 8pm and woke up at midnight wide awake and yeah I can't sleep properly anymore

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

Nah it mostly just shoots our KPIs through the roof so management wants more and more and more from us, scientist labor is on the conceptual end and not the raw output.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Epic High Five posted:

im a licensed civil engineer and i guess i get paid well enough but im also dumb as poo poo and probably shouldn't be doing it but lol

its not a very sexy field so competition isnt that fierce

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Train that algo on the hypochondria thread or r/morgellons before you ship it

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

Train that algo on the hypochondria thread or r/morgellons before you ship it

It also loving owns cause I’ve been watching algorithm based machine learning platforms fail miserably for like 15 years

Funk In Shoe
Apr 20, 2008

Bastard Tetris posted:

It also loving owns cause I’ve been watching algorithm based machine learning platforms fail miserably for like 15 years

5 here but same. it owns and the tech idiots never learn.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If you want to improve health outcomes in the US increases wages and institute M4A bing bing bong like 90% of it solved, generate a python script or whatever to spit that out for all inputs and ship it

Funk In Shoe
Apr 20, 2008

hmm surely next time we deploy a ml model to predict illness or analyze medical imaging it’ll work and not end up as a huge untrustworthy, undocumentable idiot systems that clinicians hate and distrust which crashes six times weekly and even if it does work, 50% of true time it fails because of incomplete data

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Bilirubin posted:

ok chilled out enough from having almost killed someone tonight gonna have a wee d and head to bed trumptreetgoodnight.jpg

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/305906786408480770

Funk In Shoe
Apr 20, 2008

god I hate the tech industry and myself with a burning passion. I quit my job last week

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Funk In Shoe posted:

I’m even one of the smarter ones because I got out.

yesterday in traffic I ended behind one of the old profs from my department in an intersection and he stalled his car twice at the green light and then almost caused a crash from suddenly jerking left into oncoming traffic.

dude spent his entire adult life reading Kant and doesn’t know how to make a left.

lol

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I spend my nights pouring acid on stuff and looking for analytes as a science nerd

Pays pretty well imo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Bilirubin posted:

Its true, just today a motorcycle decided to leave its lane and head right for me, forcing me to thread between oncoming traffic and them. I was certain I was going to nail them with my mirror. They then ended up in the ditch. Fortunately they were fully able to move but we kept them immobilized until EMS arrived.

I'm still a little stressed in case you are wondering why I am shitposting more furiously than normal (lol nobody reads my crap)

i read all your big beautiful posts. just like our great (greatest!) wet president to ever presidency

Funk In Shoe
Apr 20, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

I spend my nights pouring acid on stuff and looking for analytes as a science nerd

Pays pretty well imo

my dude how much would it cost to have you pour acid directly on to my balls ?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Funk In Shoe posted:

my dude how much would it cost to have you pour acid directly on to my balls ?

I don't think we have the method detection limit for that sorry

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mustached Demon posted:

Pays pretty well imo
acid is cool. i used to work at a chemistry stockroom and ruined so so so many of my shirts/pants just turning into swiss cheese from handling nitric and hydrochloric acid all the time. i used to tutor chemistry at a cc (often nursing program students) and once had one just straight up go "i dont care what the difference is between an acid and a base, can you just give me teh answer?"

oh yeah we had a box labeled cheddar cheesy goggles with leftover goggles that students would leave behind in their lab lockers and had to clean very gross makeup caked goggles with hexane.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 10:06 on Sep 2, 2020

Funk In Shoe
Apr 20, 2008

Xaris posted:

once had one just straight up go "i dont care what the difference is between an acid and a base, can you just give me teh answer?"

I can respect that

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I went to sleep at 8pm and woke up at midnight wide awake and yeah I can't sleep properly anymore

me too. I thought everyone in cspam was issued the same sleep schedule, you know, the one that makes increasingly less sense over time

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Xaris posted:

im a licensed civil engineer and i guess i get paid well enough but im also dumb as poo poo and probably shouldn't be doing it but lol

its not a very sexy field so competition isnt that fierce

infrastructure is OK

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Funk In Shoe posted:

no my PhD is In philosophy and im a self taught computer toucher and quite literally pretty dumb for real. or at least quite dumb, like 98 IQ ish, and i truly don’t understand how people do calculations like those or even how they know what kind of knowledge is required to get started.

like I saw the elephant and the cables and my brain just shut off and gave up instantly; like to me that question came off as literally impossible to even get started on.
how do you know you have a 98 IQ?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
https://twitter.com/Jla1varez/status/1300970255381147649?s=09

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Funk In Shoe posted:

Imo engineering is 90% pretending you know what you're doing in public settings and 10% furiously trying to figure out wtf behind the scenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I woke up to use the bathroom around 1:43am and drink a cup of water. That woke my neighbor up and he started doing percussion on the piano to play off some stress and started lifting weights, and then I couldn't sleep because I started thinking about how he could hear my couch cushions squeak when I roll over and how neighbor complaints can lead to someone getting thrown out and becoming homeless if you aren't quiet enough. Then I played FFXIV for 40 minutes and tried to go back to sleep, but I couldn't after 40 more minutes and got back up

Now there are 2.5 hours left until my alarm clock goes off

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 10:44 on Sep 2, 2020