Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Ceramic Shot posted:

Part of the problem I feel is people reserving the critical point of view to their image of an outsider group while fortifying their blind spots.
i agree with everything you said but my chud boss is the perfect example of this. i'll bring up some fact, something trump did, and he'll ask question after question until he gets an "i don't know" and then declare my entire point invalid. but, when he has a "fact" and i ask a question it's "pointless to ask questions" or i'm "just being difficult". he treats the questions as a personal attack. and it happens over and over again.
he's literally said that "sometimes they have secret reasons so we should just take their word for it" meanwhile i didn't have the entire bi-partisan report memorized so the entire thing was fake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

My son lives in Florida and I own a house outright here. BUt i appreciate the advice and you're not wrong.

Where should I flee to though? Where to run in a world built of assholes?

You can stay in Florida, just head south. Florida is the only state in the union where the farther north you go, the deeper into the South you get.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

You can stay in Florida, just head south. Florida is the only state in the union where the farther north you go, the deeper into the South you get.

But isn't southern Florida just going to get flooded because of climate change? Seems like he'd just be making a bet that he'll die before he has to move again, only this time he'll have to deal with the burden of an unsellable home.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
move to the keys and embrace entropy for the last couple decades of your life imo

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

miniscule12 posted:

America will end well before the end of humanity.

lol if you think America won't ensure humanity ends with it

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

the milk machine posted:

move to the keys and embrace entropy for the last couple decades of your life imo

How optimistic of you to say "decades".

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
florida bad

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Can confirm.

But, for the most part I like where I live here on Annastia Island in St. Augustine. Although, "being able to walk to the beach to the east or to the pier to the west" is not as appealing as it used to be for obvious reasons.

I'm not moving anywhere until my son is grown up unless I have to.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

My son lives in Florida and I own a house outright here. BUt i appreciate the advice and you're not wrong.

Where should I flee to though? Where to run in a world built of assholes?

sounds like you’re gonna need a bigger boat lmao!!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I lived in Homestead. south of Miami, but still mainland (so not the Keys, yet).

do not repeat my mistake.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Pththya-lyi posted:

But isn't southern Florida just going to get flooded because of climate change? Seems like he'd just be making a bet that he'll die before he has to move again, only this time he'll have to deal with the burden of an unsellable home.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2013/09/rising-seas-ice-melt-new-shoreline-maps/

5000 years to melt all the ice and completely eliminate Florida, but the doomers say, "ehhh give it 10 years."

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

uncurable mlady posted:

upstate NY is pretty nice

It's not

source: born in upstate NY

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I went to Florida once in December and I waded into the Atlantic Ocean, and that poo poo is surprisingly warm!! Then I drank a Leinenkugel and saw some gators, the whole trip was very provincial.

Anyway, that's my Florida story.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's not

source: born in upstate NY

Upstate New York has great hiking and camping.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

great lyme, the greatest

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2013/09/rising-seas-ice-melt-new-shoreline-maps/

5000 years to melt all the ice and completely eliminate Florida, but the doomers say, "ehhh give it 10 years."

You only need florida to be underwater during a few unsurvivable storms to achieve the same effect.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

InsertPotPun posted:

i agree with everything you said but my chud boss is the perfect example of this. i'll bring up some fact, something trump did, and he'll ask question after question until he gets an "i don't know" and then declare my entire point invalid. but, when he has a "fact" and i ask a question it's "pointless to ask questions" or i'm "just being difficult". he treats the questions as a personal attack. and it happens over and over again.
he's literally said that "sometimes they have secret reasons so we should just take their word for it" meanwhile i didn't have the entire bi-partisan report memorized so the entire thing was fake.

like, why pretend he's interested in what you say. just be like "look we both know you don't give a poo poo. you don't have or need a reason to like trump. you keep coming to me as if you want my approval for your vote or something."

this has a much higher chance of going well if it is clear that you loathe biden, as loathing democrats at least gives everyone room to end the conversation on a point of agreement. its also nice to be able to say the sky is blue and not get well actually, etc.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 22:48 on Aug 27, 2020

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Fame Douglas posted:

I still find it fascinating that Trump changed the rules that govern citizenship for children born to US service members on foreign bases but didn't get any real backlash from the military for it.

Well, sort of, it didn't change things for most folks

quote:

Who does this policy update affect?

For the most part, this policy change impacts children of parents who are not U. S. citizens at the time of the child’s birth. The children affected include:

Children born to non-citizens, or adopted by a U. S. citizen after birth

Children born to non-citizen parents including lawful permanent residents or those naturalized after the child’s birth

Children born to non-citizen parents who do not meet residence or physical presence requirements to transmit citizenship to their child at birth

The following groups are not affected by this policy update:

Children who were born outside of the United States to U. S. citizens

Children who are eligible for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certificate of Citizenship

Currently reside in the United States with a parent who is a U. S. citizen, after the child has been legally admitted to the U. S. as a permanent resident

Point being it doesn't change things for your military or government service person who is overseas and has a kid.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nitrousoxide posted:

A man cannot live on hiking and camping alone

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Florida doesn't have to be literally completely underwater to be deemed unlivable, at least against modern standards. Gradual rise is going to keep encroaching on drainage, sewer, and water treatment & delivery infrastructure and eventually overwhelm it; as someone else pointed out, every hurricane which causes a flooding event is just going to add that much more stress to those respective systems as well. That is the kind of stuff that is only a couple decades away, if that.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Laterite posted:

Florida doesn't have to be literally completely underwater to be deemed unlivable, at least against modern standards. Gradual rise is going to keep encroaching on drainage, sewer, and water treatment & delivery infrastructure and eventually overwhelm it; as someone else pointed out, every hurricane which causes a flooding event is just going to add that much more stress to those respective systems as well. That is the kind of stuff that is only a couple decades away, if that.

Plus the constant rebuilds are going to raise insurance rates until people can't afford to insure or rebuild. And storms tend to cause a bit of coastal erosion too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The wealthy don't even care if Florida's literally underwater as long as they can still reside there for tax purposes.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Hillary 2020 posted:

Plus the constant rebuilds are going to raise insurance rates until people can't afford to insure or rebuild. And storms tend to cause a bit of coastal erosion too.
As long as Florida remains a swing state the flood insurance will be subsidized by the rest of the country

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ShadowHawk posted:

As long as Florida remains a swing state the flood insurance will be subsidized by the rest of the country

the federal government has already been doing just that since 1968

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Y'all are fun. Living in Florida is like living in the cool NG+ zone. I get to hone my survival skills every day I leave home, pandemic or otherwise!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

A man cannot live on hiking and camping alone

I mean, people did, for thousands of years, but it wasn't a long or comfortable life.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Getting domed by a protester you were trying to mace to own the libs

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Getting domed by a protester you were trying to mace to own the libs

.... and then your buddy violently pushes away the BLM medic who was trying to save your life, so you bleed out in the gutter to own the libs

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I mean, people did, for thousands of years, but it wasn't a long or comfortable life.

i mean, that's a bit of a misapprehension: it could be a long and comfortable life, or you could die before you were 5, or some poo poo like a famine or a one in a thousand year scale natural disaster or natural climate change or just some assholes that live nearby could gently caress your poo poo up and you're basically straight out of luck sorry

but if your society is able to continue functioning after the random uncontrollable poo poo and you personally manage to survive you had reasonable odds of making it to a decent age from there

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 07:34 on Sep 1, 2020

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, you gotta remember that historical average ages are being skewed by the high infant mortality rate humans experienced for most of history. As long as you made to your fifth birthday, you had a good chance of living into your sixties or longer.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Not to be a pedant, but, to be a pedant, if we're talking about Paleolithic hunter-gatherers, probably not 60.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Halloween Jack posted:

Not to be a pedant, but, to be a pedant, if we're talking about Paleolithic hunter-gatherers, probably not 60.
Guess it depends on what you mean by a good chance. But yeah, even if the time just around birth and early childhood was way more deadly than it is today, it appears to still have been significantly more deadly type of living for the entirety of childhood. You could definitely get up there in age and become a proper old person even by modern standards, but we're not talking like a decent chunk of any given group being old people.

https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007%2F978-3-319-16999-6_2352-1

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Plus tons of disease and plagues when we started hanging out in huge groups. Then we made life so comfortable that we've collectively decided to forget that things used to be worse. What I'm saying is we'll be back rn hunting and gathering soon enough!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

All evidence points to them being still alive!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The life expectancy of some Hiwi tribesman seems totally unrelated to say how long any goon's likely to last once they have to catch up to their meals

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 08:11 on Sep 2, 2020

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

The life expectancy of some Hiwi tribesman seems totally unrelated to say how long any goon's likely to last once they have to catch up to their meals

My plan for the total collapse of society is to have a long, hearty laffo then shoot the cat and then myself. Just laughing my rear end off about how the depths of human vanity and stupidity brought us all to ruin as I reload the shotgun.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

There isn’t a single place on this planet that’s safe. hth.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the places that are hit less hard by climate change will be invaded by everywhere else. enjoy it while you can, canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

My cardio's actually pretty decent for my age. Considering how many gun nuts take a few minutes to get up off the couch and grab more Doritos, I'm hoping that I can be an endurance predator. Just stalk one of those guys until they collapse for lack of statin meds, then pick up their tricked out AR-15 and kill a deer.