Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Because sometimes it’s actually a better version of the song. Good live bands often make changes and additions to the studio version and well-produced live albums have good audio quality. Sometimes a really hyped up crowd adds to the energy as well, like on Rush in Rio.

You are now my enemy for life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

hating Gamer Thrones is just a bit of good manners. talking about that show with anything but scorn, and outside of contexts where it is absolutely necessary to do so, is just boorish

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

there are tons of live performances better than the studio version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO7N2tFb0X8

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

also phuo: generations don't get credit for their artists, artists are always outliers

that's why when someone doesn't listen to music because it's old and they don't like old people it's just sad, music is timeless

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
This might be a double unpopular opinion, but "Down" & "Lightyears" by 311 are awesome on their live album and sort of flat on their respective studio albums. Of course, this could be because I heard the live album first, but who knows?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The best example of an improved live recording is I Want You to Want Me. Have you ever heard the studio version? It sounds like they were on quaaludes in comparison to the Budokan performance that gets all the airplay.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

hawowanlawow posted:

there are tons of live performances better than the studio version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO7N2tFb0X8

This entire Talking Heads show is amazing. Adrian Belew is incredible in this performance.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I watched the first 3 seasons of Game of Thrones and stopped there, which is what I should have done with the books.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Josef bugman posted:

What are you basing this on? Other than sheer nerd "popular thing bad".

Anyone who hates a popular thing to seem intelligent is dumber than people enjoying a popular thing.
I made it halfway through the second book, where GRRM decided to have the guards rape people as background scenery. It wasn't plot relevant. It wasn't even necessary for scene-setting. It was just some weird dude graphically describing rape because.......?

Why am I wasting my free time on that poo poo?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Several people have made a powerful enemy this day.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Dik Hz posted:

I made it halfway through the second book, where GRRM decided to have the guards rape people as background scenery. It wasn't plot relevant. It wasn't even necessary for scene-setting. It was just some weird dude graphically describing rape because.......?

It's painting the world as a brutal place. Rape happened, like a lot, back in the day, when soldiers did whatever the gently caress they wanted to with the enemy

Hell, rape and slavery was basically all the vikings did

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

gurm is no Voltaire

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Collapsing Farts posted:

It's painting the world as a brutal place. Rape happened, like a lot, back in the day, when soldiers did whatever the gently caress they wanted to with the enemy

Well, that and poetry. How else would we know about it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Eh, grrm definitely overuses sex and sexual violence to be all "this ain't your daddy's dragon story."

Like, you don't even have to look at rape, consider Dany's boobs always come up in her unrelated internal monolgoues.

But he didn't write "finger her arse!" so

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Dik Hz posted:

Did the child molestation by her own brother not tip your hand that they were foul loving books? I don't like them either. But I do at least want to know why folks did. But too often it comes from a place of "I want to be smart, so I hate the thing that people love".

Also; making rape and murder constant features is daft and not really bourne out by the historical record in a lot of instances.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yes i hate gamer thrones because i want to "seem smart"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

yes i hate gamer thrones because i want to "seem smart"

Coulda fooled me :D

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I'm pretty sure I mentioned earlier that PS3 level graphics were more than good enough, there's no real reason to invest resources into making games look better than the best looking PS3 games.

I've had some time to think, and I'd like to expand on that. While it si absolutely true that any resources spent on making games look better has been a complete waste, it's doubly tragic because there is one area where video games really did need to advance, and instead have stagnated. I am of course talking about destructable environments. Whatever extra power these new consoles have, it would only be valuable if it was used to make the environments in games destuctable, and more realistically destructable. The fact that the PS5 and Xbox The New Xbox are going to launch with games featuring building you can't destroy is an absolute travesty. Imagine if video game designers had spent the past ten years instead of chasing ray-traced lighting or motion bloom or whatever other meaningless shiny gew gaws, had been figuring out how to design thrilling action adventure games where you can simply smash through any wall with a big hammer. Or a new Hitman where most assassinations could be achieved simply by collapsing whatever building your target was in. Think about how much better video games would be, and how much more enjoyable they would be to play.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Gripweed posted:

I'm pretty sure I mentioned earlier that PS3 level graphics were more than good enough, there's no real reason to invest resources into making games look better than the best looking PS3 games.

I've had some time to think, and I'd like to expand on that. While it si absolutely true that any resources spent on making games look better has been a complete waste, it's doubly tragic because there is one area where video games really did need to advance, and instead have stagnated. I am of course talking about destructable environments. Whatever extra power these new consoles have, it would only be valuable if it was used to make the environments in games destuctable, and more realistically destructable. The fact that the PS5 and Xbox The New Xbox are going to launch with games featuring building you can't destroy is an absolute travesty. Imagine if video game designers had spent the past ten years instead of chasing ray-traced lighting or motion bloom or whatever other meaningless shiny gew gaws, had been figuring out how to design thrilling action adventure games where you can simply smash through any wall with a big hammer. Or a new Hitman where most assassinations could be achieved simply by collapsing whatever building your target was in. Think about how much better video games would be, and how much more enjoyable they would be to play.

Peter Molyneux outing himself here on the SA Forums!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
"Sorry Mario but the Princess is in another castle!"

Mario: *kicks wall*

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gripweed posted:

the worst thing about doom 3 was the indestructibility of the environments, just lots of lcd screens that you cant even break

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

my friend and I played the poo poo out of red faction multiplayer on that one map with two facing bases and you could tunnel into the walls around them

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

hawowanlawow posted:

my friend and I played the poo poo out of red faction multiplayer on that one map with two facing bases and you could tunnel into the walls around them

That and any Worms game are the best, for the exact same reasons. Yeah there's definitely something lost when we stopped going for destructibility over prettiness.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Ghost of Tsushima is an absolutely gorgeuous game and while a large part of that is the color palette I still don't believe the PS3 would have been up to the task, therefore I must disagree.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Collapsing Farts posted:

Dik Hz posted:

Anyone who thinks aSoIaF is "gritty" and "realistic" is admitting to being cringey like him.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Josef bugman posted:

Did the child molestation by her own brother not tip your hand that they were foul loving books? I don't like them either. But I do at least want to know why folks did. But too often it comes from a place of "I want to be smart, so I hate the thing that people love".

Also; making rape and murder constant features is daft and not really bourne out by the historical record in a lot of instances.
Yeah, that part was cringe af, but because so many people recommended them, I foolishly soldiered on.

I don't like them for the same reason I don't like watching true crime documentaries. I have little free time devoted to entertainment. I'd rather not spend that time consuming graphic depictions of rape.

Shitposting on a dead comedy forum is much more appealing to me.

Dik Hz has a new favorite as of 03:08 on Sep 3, 2020

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Gripweed posted:

For once, I actually agree with Gripweed.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I agree, graphics fidelity doesn't equal fun

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

interstellar is a hokey movie and not at all "scientifically accurate" (not that it needs to be, but that's what it aimed to be)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

George Harrison's solo stuff is bad and Lennon's solo stuff is easily the best. Lennon also wrote all the best Beatles songs

Bring on the Lucie, Look at me, isolation are all bangers

Got my mind set on you is bad

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

hawowanlawow posted:

George Harrison's solo stuff is bad and Lennon's solo stuff is easily the best. Lennon also wrote all the best Beatles songs

Bring on the Lucie, Look at me, isolation are all bangers

Agreed

Also Green Day > Bowling for Soup > all other non-comedy bands

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

John Lennon is in the top ten overrated musicians of all time and also he was a pretentious doughy weiner.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I also heard he liked that hippie bullshit.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

As a musician Lennon slapped

As a husband Lennon slapped

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Manager Hoyden posted:

John Lennon is in the top ten overrated musicians of all time and also he was a pretentious doughy weiner.

He was an adulterous woman-beating dickhead, but I have to admit that I like "Ballad of John & Yoko".

hawowanlawow posted:

That was by George Harrison? Ugh.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

YeahTubaMike posted:

That was by George Harrison? Ugh.

It's a cover.

George Harrison's solo stuff is my favorite. All Things Must Pass is the best ex-Beatle album, I will die on this hill.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

nouveau cuisine sucks. it's just an artless template for making food that takes traditional meals and changes them to maximize profitability by feeding into rich white peoples idea of what good food looks like. every nouveau cuisine restaurant is the same and i hate them all

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I only listen to micro-label ethically sourced early 2000's industrial/EBM. Anything more mainstream than Dubok or NCC is auditory swill unfit for my refined musical taste. Also the band Object was awesome and if you don't know about them, I'm not surprised because I get music, and most people don't.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

I only listen to micro-label ethically sourced early 2000's industrial/EBM. Anything more mainstream than Dubok or NCC is auditory swill unfit for my refined musical taste. Also the band Object was awesome and if you don't know about them, I'm not surprised because I get music, and most people don't.

yeah well I listen to jazz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I listen, like right now, to such high art as your normie minds could never comprehend. Meaning the Cradle of Filth album Midian from 2000.