Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Well, a great culling occurred and I got away from a holy war mission with half the crew dead. However, the good ones (mostly) survived so I'm going to see if I can rebuild. Shame about the crucified dude I rescued, he had amazing stats but... oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Uh, that's a new one.

It was just as chaotic as you'd expect.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 2, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

rideANDxORdie posted:

Yeah outside of a few exceptions (sometimes you get a bro with ridiculous tank stats but absolute dogshit MAtk) you won't want anyone who won't hit at least 80 MAtk. IDK if it's the specific issue here but I do see a lot of people overvaluing stars in a stat over the starting value - a brother with 52 MAtk and two stars is simply average, not a prodigy. Base MAtk rolls for most classes is 47-57, you really want someone to max roll on that or at least 54-ish to start. This is why finding cheap backgrounds that can potentially roll higher is so important - Butchers get slept on a lot in my opinion but for a lowborn class they can roll up to 59 MAtk with slightly better averages in fatigue, health and resolve too. Militiamen can roll up to 62 and have the same slight edge in fatigue, health and resolve. Squires offer one of the best stat/cost values in the game, I would love to have an entire company of them but they're simply hard to find. They can even make good ranged characters given the right star placement. A lot of what people consider the best backgrounds (brawlers, caravan hands, wildmen) can only roll up to 57 but have bonuses to minimum so they're more consistently in the 54-57 range.

If you haven't (I doubt there's any of us who haven't here lol), take a sec to look at the stat spread for backgrounds here:
https://battlebrothers.fandom.com/wiki/Character_Backgrounds

The new nomad and assassin backgrounds have amazing stat spreads for the price. All you need to worry about with a nomad is a low resolve roll - 30 is terrible but 37 is workable with a few good rolls, gifted, or iron mind (w/e the resolve perk is). In return, you're basically guaranteed a workable MAtk and at least functional MDef and RDef with a chance for thief-like 10+ rolls in each

E: Looks like the new manhunter background has pretty good rolls too tbh

Importantly manhunters are available to peasants; which is a significant buff to that class.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Anyone had the belly dancer recruit pop up? He's 500 gold and has the starting stats of a god. He's got 72matk right out the gate. My one has popped stars in ranged and melee attack, and initiative. But he's tiny and sure-footed so his starting mdef is like 12 and his ranged is 8. Feel like I should go duelist on him maybe? Starting stamina is 82 naked. I think I want a swordmaster.

Also I hired the bounty hunter and the next big camp I went to had 4 fallen hero champions with a necromancer. Two of whom had unique great axes. I had to reload.

Southpaugh fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 2, 2020

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The bellydancer seems to have somewhat comparable stats to an assassin, and also always starts with Dexterous, so will usually be pretty strong. If you get a lucky roll on stars he can make for a very good nimble duelist or fencer.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
I've had the belly dancer thing pop up in a few campaigns, he's always been dextrous (+5 MAtk) with pretty solid rolls for a polearm user or a nimble duelist, the only downside usually is his low HP.

I just started a southern raiders campaign on this seed (MUWIPMJCYG):

https://bb.frukso.se/seed/MUWIPMJCYG/

As a southern merc start the starting brothers are good but not obscene, one guy has iron lungs and the other spartan. The trade loop in this map is loving insane though, everything seems legit so far from what I've seen about 30 days in. Highly recommended, curious if any other origins get good rolls on this

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Southpaugh posted:

Anyone had the belly dancer recruit pop up? He's 500 gold and has the starting stats of a god. He's got 72matk right out the gate. My one has popped stars in ranged and melee attack, and initiative. But he's tiny and sure-footed so his starting mdef is like 12 and his ranged is 8. Feel like I should go duelist on him maybe? Starting stamina is 82 naked. I think I want a swordmaster.

Also I hired the bounty hunter and the next big camp I went to had 4 fallen hero champions with a necromancer. Two of whom had unique great axes. I had to reload.

82 naked is pretty bad even by nimble standards. You’d want to make sure whatever role you put him in was light on the fatigue. Being tiny means he does less damage in melee though; I don’t know if I could tolerate that in a duelist. You say he has ranged stars as well - with that plus the initiative and the bad stamina if he’ll get to at least 80 ranged attack I’d be inclined to make him a gunner.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Man i figured the bounty hunter thing would be a mistake. Late game battles are already a slog, why would i add harder opponents.

However, now i'm looking at all these famed items i have from them...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I’ve got a bounty hunter and I’ve never been happier. I’m only playing on veteran but I don’t think there’s any regular encounter that could give me significant trouble any more.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

I’ve got a bounty hunter and I’ve never been happier. I’m only playing on veteran but I don’t think there’s any regular encounter that could give me significant trouble any more.

I am of the same opinion. There are some fights (e.g. large chosen camps) that I don't want to do, but most fights once you're past the first crisis are a bit more of the same. You lose the buzz of trying to get equipment you can really use, like when you're knifing brigands for a mail shirt. Uniques are the exception to this, so it's nice to get them cropping up more often. Makes fairly routine clearance of camps or enemy parties more exciting.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Genghis Cohen posted:

I am of the same opinion. There are some fights (e.g. large chosen camps) that I don't want to do, but most fights once you're past the first crisis are a bit more of the same. You lose the buzz of trying to get equipment you can really use, like when you're knifing brigands for a mail shirt. Uniques are the exception to this, so it's nice to get them cropping up more often. Makes fairly routine clearance of camps or enemy parties more exciting.

After I started putting fearsome on most of my bros and overwhelm on most of my back line even large camps of chosen don’t bother me any more

Edit - new patch has a couple of interesting notes:

Changelog for 1.4.0.41
Changed barbarians to no longer be able to rotate positions with Unholds.
Changed Conscripts to have slightly fewer hitpoints.
Changed 'Hook' and 'Repel' skills to apply the 'Overwhelmed' effect if the character using these skills has the corresponding perk.

Fixed issue with zones of control for characters on tiles that confer terrain status effects.
Fixed potential issue with 'Intercept Raiding Parties' contract.
Fixed enemy party labels potentially not showing at the northern edges of the world map.
Fixed opponents with the 'Head Hunter' perk always starting combat with their next attack a guaranteed hit to the head.
Fixed issue with unresponsive UI if attemping to end the round for all characters at the exact moment that victory is achieved.
Fixed exploit that allowed for infinite rerolls of arena matches.
Fixed AI not properly taking into account the range of slings.
Fixed AI not properly engaging if only units with polearms are left.
Fixed some other minor issues.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 2, 2020

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

After I started putting fearsome on most of my bros and overwhelm on most of my back line even large camps of chosen don’t bother me any more

Edit - new patch has a couple of interesting notes:

Changelog for 1.4.0.41

Fixed opponents with the 'Head Hunter' perk always starting combat with their next attack a guaranteed hit to the head.

I loving knew in my soul this was happening! I used to try and take down a small necrosavant group early in any campaign to get my hands on a khopesh or two asap, and my guys were getting turn 1 decapitated over and over since the DLC came out lol

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Lol, I was hanging out in some BB streams and mentioned that because I had noticed it as well, and the streamers just insisted that I had to be wrong.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

yeah it was definitely happening, I moused over a swordmaster in the arena and thought it was a bit much for him to start with headhunter up.

Leveled my belly dancer up a bit and his terrible rolls have him no better than a melon mugger. A melon mugger with 80 matk but still not the super star I had hoped for. On the other hand I got a 5K gold hedge knight with stars in matk, mdef and stamina. So its ups and downs.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
On my peasant run I got the event where you recruit a Barbarian after raiding a barbarian camp, and at least the one guy I got was pretty drat great and ended up being a great 2Hander Hammer bro.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Just brawled my way through five lindwurms because i didn't actually have enough polearms to give to people.

One set of scales in exchange for 180 tools worth of damage. Goddamn.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
How do you actually deal with groups of 5+ Lindwurms? I can't kill them fast enough, and sooner or later they will get a hit or two in, and unless all the tanks are in 400+ armor, it's gonna hurt.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I used three firepots and rotated who was taking damage while the two hammers and 3 ranged options i had did the work.

Also had a whip and that legendary cleaver, which really takes down tough targets when the bleeds start stacking.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

How do you actually deal with groups of 5+ Lindwurms? I can't kill them fast enough, and sooner or later they will get a hit or two in, and unless all the tanks are in 400+ armor, it's gonna hurt.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record but it's much, much easier than it used to be with overwhelm and fearsome. I don't do anything special, I just have at them like normal. Try to position for max AOE damage from my 2handers and polearms. I take javelins over archers.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm starting to sound like a broken record but it's much, much easier than it used to be with overwhelm and fearsome. I don't do anything special, I just have at them like normal. Try to position for max AOE damage from my 2handers and polearms. I take javelins over archers.

Literally what I did, they still took me down since they would always get in a hit or two at <5% chance, and that was enough to take down most of tanks to uselessness.
My entire backline of polearms, archers and gunner has overwhelm, and most of them has fearsome.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
reminds me i should reinstall lindwurms, i turned them off a long time ago because i kept getting bugs related to them

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Dreylad posted:

On my peasant run I got the event where you recruit a Barbarian after raiding a barbarian camp, and at least the one guy I got was pretty drat great and ended up being a great 2Hander Hammer bro.

I still stand by this event being the best one in the "get a free bro" category. I've never had this event pop and not give me at least a good brother and sometimes he's unreal

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
holy crap, chose the southern side in the holy war and after weathering 3 waves of norther soldiers I have a glut of billhooks, hauberks, and helmets.

I'm shocked I survived the battles, I had made a save so I could test the waters and the next thing you know I made it through with only 2 casualties. I would like to recognize my archer crew for picking off various flankers and polearms before they could engage.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

rideANDxORdie posted:

I still stand by this event being the best one in the "get a free bro" category. I've never had this event pop and not give me at least a good brother and sometimes he's unreal

Yep free good troop events are a good way to alleviate the RNG, especially if its been particularly crippling. I got the Royal guard guy once and the crusader dude on my first blazing deserts run, and if they'd had better stars they could have been superbros. the last barbarian event I got, I think theres two one where you attack a camp and he joins you and one where you just meet a guy wandering, the bro I got from the event made a very cool cleaver duelist who was still in my end game party.

I think a lone wolf run where you build your party from event bros could be a good gimmick, but I'd probably mod it to assure that they are good bros.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
I'm really surprised barbarian wasn't added to recruit pools when they added the faction/background in WoTN. I love playing Northern Raiders but it's soooooo map-seed dependent since you need to be able to do your standard business (trade, recruit archers from wood towns, shop for top tier equipment at citadel, etc.) on 1/3 of the map. It's gotten slightly better with the addition of the Southern city-states

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

Southpaugh posted:

I think a lone wolf run where you build your party from event bros could be a good gimmick, but I'd probably mod it to assure that they are good bros.

Haha, I have a run like this. Melon fucker actually came with good stars and is a 2hander. Retired soldier from a spider pantry is my sergeant and the squire is a throwing guy. Haven't hired anyone else yet. sure how many more there are to find though. Crusader and orc hunter, but those tend to piss off at the end of the crisis.

EDIT : Okay, read what people write is a thing. With barbarians and belly dancers and stuff it may be doable.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of archers. Recruiter has made it really easy to find good archer recruits. I think I saw 6 hunters in a single town at some point.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

rideANDxORdie posted:

I'm really surprised barbarian wasn't added to recruit pools when they added the faction/background in WoTN. I love playing Northern Raiders but it's soooooo map-seed dependent since you need to be able to do your standard business (trade, recruit archers from wood towns, shop for top tier equipment at citadel, etc.) on 1/3 of the map. It's gotten slightly better with the addition of the Southern city-states

The lack of a barbarian settlement in WoTN to recruit and get heavy thrown weapons is really highlighted in the existence of southern cities.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Literally what I did, they still took me down since they would always get in a hit or two at <5% chance, and that was enough to take down most of tanks to uselessness.
My entire backline of polearms, archers and gunner has overwhelm, and most of them has fearsome.

If your front line is going down in 2 hits you don’t have enough health, or good enough armour or a combination of the above. My front line all has 100hp; they’re all in 300+ armour except for 2 guys on 280; and most of them have the additional fur padding.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Broken Cog posted:

Your tanks are spamming Indomitable, right? The guys basing the Lindwurms really want to be spamming Indomitable and don't really care about anything else other than holding on for dear life.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Are lindwurms the rare occasion where they are better off being tanked by high mdef nimble bros? Since you always lose the same percentage of armour from the blood? Or does the blood only effect the bro if they hit them?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Southpaugh posted:

Are lindwurms the rare occasion where they are better off being tanked by high mdef nimble bros? Since you always lose the same percentage of armour from the blood? Or does the blood only effect the bro if they hit them?

If you just stand there and defend you don't get any blood on you.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Does Expert also affect your hitchance and enemy hitchance? I'm on the first crisis with a squad of 11s but I'm still getting groups of like 16 legionaries and 4 wiedergangers as enemy armies and it's kinda undewhelming when I have a front line full of nomads and bastards and a backline of hunters and more nomads. It'd be cool to have more elite enemies sooner in the game since I've only played on Veteran but I also don't really want to make the stats of those enemies better or have a malus on my guys. I even googled it and got no real answer, so I'm assuming not and it's just tougher groups of dudes.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Ixtlilton posted:

Does Expert also affect your hitchance and enemy hitchance? I'm on the first crisis with a squad of 11s but I'm still getting groups of like 16 legionaries and 4 wiedergangers as enemy armies and it's kinda undewhelming when I have a front line full of nomads and bastards and a backline of hunters and more nomads. It'd be cool to have more elite enemies sooner in the game since I've only played on Veteran but I also don't really want to make the stats of those enemies better or have a malus on my guys. I even googled it and got no real answer, so I'm assuming not and it's just tougher groups of dudes.

No changes to any mechanics like that

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
I'm just sinking in to expert and if you know what you're doing the slightly larger/more advanced enemy progression can net you a lot more gold and equipment early. This run I got a group of 3 thugs and 3 raiders on day three and got my hands on a pike, hand ax and flail as well as one 110 armor right off the bat

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

rideANDxORdie posted:

I'm just sinking in to expert and if you know what you're doing the slightly larger/more advanced enemy progression can net you a lot more gold and equipment early. This run I got a group of 3 thugs and 3 raiders on day three and got my hands on a pike, hand ax and flail as well as one 110 armor right off the bat

Yes. I actually prefer playing on expert for this reason. As long as you can avoid the nastier combats, which isn't that hard, especially with poachers, you can actually get ahead easier. I also do expert economy, but set it to beginner and it's a very comfy run money and equipment wise.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The other thing about lindwurms is that you can safely hit them, its just when you start getting through the armour is when you need to be careful of the blood. Up until that point you can have your 2h guys happily wail away at the fuckers and then swap to a shield to just hold on.

I got lucky as hell as one of my guys almost went down with 2hp left (my 95hp wildman with 320 body 300 head armour).

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The named lindwurm helmets (camps + shops) and lindwurm capes (crafted attachment) make your armor immune to lindwurm blood. The lindwurm cape is also the best +durability attachment in game as it has half the fatigue penalty of the regular +40 attachments.

I’ll usually pair them up on a high MDef BF 2H superbro and let him face tank for a bit once I had both, although it was somewhat easier to evac him when tails had no ZoC.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Why do you think i was so pissed about getting only one set of scales? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mazz posted:

The named lindwurm helmets (camps + shops) and lindwurm capes (crafted attachment) make your armor immune to lindwurm blood. The lindwurm cape is also the best +durability attachment in game as it has half the fatigue penalty of the regular +40 attachments.

I’ll usually pair them up on a high MDef BF 2H superbro and let him face tank for a bit once I had both, although it was somewhat easier to evac him when tails had no ZoC.

My understanding is that it’s better to have the additional padding that reduces damage bypassing armour by 33% - lindwurm fights would be the exception of course but I’m not carrying a second set of armours just for them.