Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

You fucker.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

tacopie posted:

I'll bite. I was supposed to retire in March of next year, and then covid hit, so I moved the date to October, and it's still here and not looking better so I've cancelled my request and am going to do another sea tour.

I don't have PMs but am interested.

If you send me an email letting me know exactly what positions seem interesting to you, what your timeline is, what sort of information you need, etc... I will see what I can do to help out. I will only keep my email in this post for a few days though, never know who or what is crawling these pages. the email is bradleyd at google dot com

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Holy poo poo.... we got liberty...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LingcodKilla posted:

Congrats! Enjoy your ruins!!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LingcodKilla posted:

Woooooo!!!! Make sure you remember where the ship is moored. I spent three hours in a cab once in Thailand, drunkenly trying to direct the guy to where our ship was.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 28, 2020

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
You always take a picture of the gate sign when you leave.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Or set the ship as "home" on your phone.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I did some work at one of the DC’s for a while and worked closely with the technicians, and I’ll confirm, they were all former navy, with the exception of one coast guard I believe. The job seemed pretty cool, and the extra on-site perks seemed awesome. I even got to eat at the cafeteria a couple times, and holy poo poo I would gain so much weight if I ate there regularly.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

pkells posted:

I did some work at one of the DC’s for a while and worked closely with the technicians, and I’ll confirm, they were all former navy, with the exception of one coast guard I believe. The job seemed pretty cool, and the extra on-site perks seemed awesome. I even got to eat at the cafeteria a couple times, and holy poo poo I would gain so much weight if I ate there regularly.

Our cafeteria is closed/only doing box lunches right now, so we can have that, or expense take out in order to support the local economy. My DC has a gym as well, but during covid times it is closed. It was such a culture shock, coming to one from the Navy. At first it felt like a trap, because I was so used to being constantly poo poo on in the Navy. I guess the only "downside" is that our SCADA and alarming systems seem really immature and not fully developed compared to that which we used in the reactor plants.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

A little schadenfreude for crabdad: https://www.pilotonline.com/military/vp-nw-civilian-mariners-gangway-up-20200829-2yzgqmajiva5fd7vrxyahqlphe-story.html?outputType=amp

Seems like plenty of people are getting hosed equally depending on their circumstances and/or locales.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
They aren't wrong in that even the possibility of a COVID case on a commercial ship has caused 1/2 the crew to quit off. The problem is that MSC has historically been difficult to get a relief on even when there are people on the beach trying to go to work and people on ships trying to get home. Fewer people want to get into shipping as well, the pool of officers and crew continues to shrink as requirements go up, the threat of follicle testing is going to be a major hit if it goes through.

Those jobs are civilian jobs and mariners only have to give 24 hours notice to quit off in a US port and have options if they are overseas. MARAD command spends most of their effort simply begging for the cash for the vessels we have, the fleet is decrepit so I don't really expect much from the command.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

A little schadenfreude for crabdad: https://www.pilotonline.com/military/vp-nw-civilian-mariners-gangway-up-20200829-2yzgqmajiva5fd7vrxyahqlphe-story.html?outputType=amp

Seems like plenty of people are getting hosed equally depending on their circumstances and/or locales.

Captain Tapp no!!!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

You always take a picture of the gate sign when you leave.

The only place this doesn't work flawlessly is the US where even the average cab is like "I thought all cargo went by plane now, do you mean the Navy base"

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

They aren't wrong in that even the possibility of a COVID case on a commercial ship has caused 1/2 the crew to quit off. The problem is that MSC has historically been difficult to get a relief on even when there are people on the beach trying to go to work and people on ships trying to get home. Fewer people want to get into shipping as well, the pool of officers and crew continues to shrink as requirements go up, the threat of follicle testing is going to be a major hit if it goes through.

Those jobs are civilian jobs and mariners only have to give 24 hours notice to quit off in a US port and have options if they are overseas. MARAD command spends most of their effort simply begging for the cash for the vessels we have, the fleet is decrepit so I don't really expect much from the command.

When Shell I think did follicle at the osv company I was at they lost only senior dudes who did a little coke on vacation lmao.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1300448930312970240?s=20

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Did they try to sink it with cannon fire looks like?

They finally got tired of ending every SINKEX with a Mk.48 because it was unfair to kill steal like that every time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

M_Gargantua posted:

Did they try to sink it with cannon fire looks like?

They finally got tired of ending every SINKEX with a Mk.48 because it was unfair to kill steal like that every time.

I did a RIMPAC sinkex in 2010. All of the ships lined up and just unloaded with their main guns one after another until eventually it sank. When you have dozens of ships doing it over an hour or so, it is effective.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
That actually sounds the opposite of effective...

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

drat...BZ, VAQ-129: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr9L9layt10

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

HOLY gently caress YES I QUALIFY FOR THE NEW EETP NOW

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Thats real well done. Good use of the Wonder Woman version of a Blue Monday cover

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

HOLY gently caress YES I QUALIFY FOR THE NEW EETP NOW

I can't say that I know what that is but congratulations!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Enlisted early transition program, early out gently caress yessss

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Awesome man. I didn't realize that was going again. Good luck with school/career/whatever and not being in the Navy

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Perfect time to talk to you about the Reserves my dude

lol

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

LingcodKilla posted:

lol

Get the hell away from me crab dad

But for real I’m mad jealous I’ve gotten like literally the worst possible orders at every junction in my career

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

LingcodKilla posted:

lol

Actually NC1 Crabman has just been playing a long game.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Man, what do you think its like being the guy who reads the feedback for the CAC Self Service site?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

piL posted:

Actually NC1 Crabman has just been playing a long game.

I was so loving close to taking 2yr orders to recruit for the reserves in the shipyard. Honestly the only reason I didn’t was because my dumb moto tattoo would be even dumber.

It was really tempting when they said it was for reserves only and not for new accession.

I’d probably be murdered if I became a recruiter. Tell them about all the stuff I did as a reservist and they the end up getting mobilized to assist a unit cleaning sewage pipes in Afghanistan as a goodwill mission.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
congrats on EETP qualification. glad one of us gets to use it at least!

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Let me know if they give you any poo poo.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

DustyNuts posted:

Let me know if they give you any poo poo.

I appreciate it man! My conditional release to Army OCS package is still at the department level but lol gently caress it I don't even need that anymore, no point in doing natty guard just to get out of active duty.

I'll just request mast in a month when history repeats itself again.

You were super helpful. At least this process is something my command has already done a shitload of times and don't have the excuse for not knowing how/right verbiage/forms.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

maffew buildings posted:

congrats on EETP qualification. glad one of us gets to use it at least!

Afaik it's currently HMs only. I was dumb and had extended since I was told I was going to be picking up SARC orders a couple years back, pushing me just days outside the previous program's SEAOS cutoff, but they updated it last week.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 2, 2020

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I remember working a conversion pack to try and go over to the SARC side like three years in after being told no going to the ARMY because BU for my year group was only like 96% manned and being told "Oh wow that's great stay Navy also wait until your rotation". Despite SARC being critically undermanned getting any support for a lat conversion was like pulling teeth and I said 'gently caress this'. It's cool the system works to find the right slots for the right people and not just drive people out due to archaic personnel practices.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Rerate IS join the reserves and never do a honest days work again but at least not be around Seabees.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Rerate IS join the reserves and never do a honest days work again but at least not be around Seabees.

Very rude

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

I think it was a typo but he's not wrong. 🤣

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

maffew buildings posted:

I remember working a conversion pack to try and go over to the SARC side like three years in after being told no going to the ARMY because BU for my year group was only like 96% manned and being told "Oh wow that's great stay Navy also wait until your rotation". Despite SARC being critically undermanned getting any support for a lat conversion was like pulling teeth and I said 'gently caress this'. It's cool the system works to find the right slots for the right people and not just drive people out due to archaic personnel practices.

Yeah it was pretty funny. I got medically DQ’ed in a school, got a waiver, but then the a school wasn’t allowed to send any people if they didn’t already had ATF contracts for so even though half of them were 18 year olds who had no idea what they signed up for (literally, their recruiter didn’t tell them that it was SOF selection) and could barely pass the fitness test.

Frustrating as it all was it worked out. Im glad I didn’t get sucked into the military any further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
BAH question for the admin gurus:

I'm currently en route to my next duty station, and my orders have me checking in next week for an I-stop with the type wing, which is located at the same base as my ultimate command, then checking into the command proper some time in October. That squadron is currently deployed and I'm going to have a merry ROM adventure to get out to join them eventually, but regardless, I should be getting the new BAH rate from the time I check in to my I-stop in the same geographic location as my final destination, i.e. when I check in with the wing, correct? I thought that was the flip side of the fact that you don't get reimbursed for any hotel stays once you arrive at your final local area, even if it's an I-stop before your ultimate activity.