Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

cakesmith handyman posted:

Why? Why do 99.999% of people need to go faster than 100mph/160kph?

I can see maybe if you are German and you want to drive fast on the unrestricted autobahn that this might be a problem, but you will certainly not be buying a Skoda if that's you. Hell, most of the less expensive cars I've rented in Germany struggle to hit 160 and feel good doing it on the unrestricted parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
The unrestricted Autobahn is a loving relic that needs to be dismantled ASAP. Put a loving 130 kph limit everywhere!
It saves lives, it saves CO2. Theres no downside to it except for "car enthusiasts" who whine that they totally need to go that fast and what about ARE FREEDOM!!!

If you need to drive fast go on a loving racetrack and don't endanger innocent people with your stupid poo poo!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Shai-Hulud posted:

The unrestricted Autobahn is a loving relic that needs to be dismantled ASAP. Put a loving 130 kph limit everywhere!
It saves lives, it saves CO2. Theres no downside to it except for "car enthusiasts" who whine that they totally need to go that fast and what about ARE FREEDOM!!!

If you need to drive fast go on a loving racetrack and don't endanger innocent people with your stupid poo poo!

There was only ONE advantage to the Autobahn unrestricted speed limit and that WAS the superior braking and handling of European cars.

Nowadays that advantage is moot. A Kia Stinger is an even match to a BMW 5 series, for example.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
This is rich. The ChargePoint charger in the corporate apartment garage I'm staying at is 'restricted.' I'm not 'authorized' to use it.

Seriously, WTF?

Now I have to get HR to talk to the apartment management whom I'm sure won't have a clue. ChargePoint sure doesn't.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Shai-Hulud posted:

Where do you think you are right now?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Counter point: I made an Opel Meriva do 185

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Counter point: I made an Opel Meriva do 185

km/hr I assume

My car enthusiast son managed to get the use of a P100D for a weekend a year or so ago. Speed limits were apparently violated.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

VideoGameVet posted:

This is rich. The ChargePoint charger in the corporate apartment garage I'm staying at is 'restricted.' I'm not 'authorized' to use it.

Seriously, WTF?

Now I have to get HR to talk to the apartment management whom I'm sure won't have a clue. ChargePoint sure doesn't.

If you login to ChargePoint and go to profile there is a connections section. See if your apartment complex is on the list and connect them to your account.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Driving fast in a straight line is fun for a short while. Driving on the unrestricted Autobahn sucks rear end almost all of the time.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ever since I got two very expensive tickets in a short amount of time I've been a "cruise control in the lane to the left of the rightmost lane" kind of person. Driving fast is fun, but I just save it for getting up to speed on on-ramps. Driving aggressively wears on you and the added stress isn't worth saving maybe 5 minutes. I guess I'm old now because I'd rather get somewhere relaxed than quickly.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Ola posted:

Driving fast in a straight line is fun for a short while. Driving on the unrestricted Autobahn sucks rear end almost all of the time.

Right after I got my '02 A6 I took it up to 115 mph on an empty stretch of highway and all I could think was man, what if a tire blew right now. Anything north of 100 even in a car that's built for it I found to be stressful just thinking about physics. Now I drive an EV and never take it north of 80 which is just fine.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

Ever since I got two very expensive tickets in a short amount of time I've been a "cruise control in the lane to the left of the rightmost lane" kind of person. Driving fast is fun, but I just save it for getting up to speed on on-ramps. Driving aggressively wears on you and the added stress isn't worth saving maybe 5 minutes. I guess I'm old now because I'd rather get somewhere relaxed than quickly.

Me too, I like chilling on adaptive cruise and listening to music. Driving fast is fun on twisty roads, particularly with electric torque out of the corners. On restricted autobahn, drivers nail the speed limit and you're part of a big train doing 130, very comfortable. On the unrestricted, people drive at completely different speeds so there's a lot more lane changing and much more accelerating and braking. And there's obviously tons and tons of traffic, so there's not that many opportunities to floor it and chill at max speed. I haven't driven long distance in Germany with adaptive cruise, perhaps it helps if you can find a speed buddy and just radar lock to them.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Fastest I've gotten my Model 3 to was about 140 MPH, same for my Energica Ego.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I always used to go pretty quickly on motorways back in the UK, but the general autoroute driving style here is pretty chilled and I like it quite a bit more. Everyone kind of cruising along at the same speed just above the speed limit is pretty relaxing.

My motorbike is hilarious but almost completely unsuitable for this country. The twisty roads are too twisty for a big sportsbike and the motorways too chilled. Loved taking it over the Furka / Gotthard into Italy and then back over St Bernard passes though.

e:

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Energica Ego.

This looks cool.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

VideoGameVet posted:

km/hr I assume

My car enthusiast son managed to get the use of a P100D for a weekend a year or so ago. Speed limits were apparently violated.

yes, km/h. it was the big 135hp 1.7L diesel.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Thanks to my mother, I know a Gen 2 Volt is limited to 95mph.

Because she kept it pegged at this for a good portion of I-44 between O.K.C. and Tulsa.

That was the first and last time she got to drive during that trip.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

respect

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

Thomas the Autogefühl guy has a review of the interior / exterior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29VYHzmqcZ4

(I think he is hilarious, presumably intentionally. but very detailed reviews)

Saw this only now after getting home. Jesus so many nice details. They knocked it far out of the park. The sleeping elephant trunks, the organized (non-elephant) trunk, the list goes on. Huge extra room under the trunk even if it's RWD, that can hold all the spare use charging stuff, plus even my folding shovel for winter (4WD gets you further into trouble). Even that loose piece in the storage room under the center arm rest, perfect for holding a plastic bag so you have a road trip trash can. Umbrella in the door and folding tray tables is probably standard Skoda fare, but it was news to me. Wool interior. I'm swooning here.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shai-Hulud posted:

The 130 km/h limit is a relic from the past when you were glad your car could even go that fast. Ehm. Anyway I'm not making any moral judgement, as I said this is just what I see people do all the time on the highways even outside of Germany.

Ola posted:

Saw this only now after getting home. Jesus so many nice details. They knocked it far out of the park. The sleeping elephant trunks, the organized (non-elephant) trunk, the list goes on. Huge extra room under the trunk even if it's RWD, that can hold all the spare use charging stuff, plus even my folding shovel for winter (4WD gets you further into trouble). Even that loose piece in the storage room under the center arm rest, perfect for holding a plastic bag so you have a road trip trash can. Umbrella in the door and folding tray tables is probably standard Skoda fare, but it was news to me. Wool interior. I'm swooning here.
Skodas tend to be hyper-practical like that. Sucks that there's no frunk though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They have speed cameras everywhere in France and Belgium at least, and I think Germany too, so I can't really go faster than 120km/h or 130km/h in those countries?? I set my CC to that speed and relax. I verify my speed with GPS though because the speedometer can be really uncalibrated.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Shai-Hulud posted:

:crossarms:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That's a good review and a really nicely practical looking car, makes me wish they release something buzz shaped under the skoda brand at some point

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

knox_harrington posted:

This looks cool.

Very cool. Here's mine.

It's got 26kW DCFC, 11.7 kWh net capacity. Now, they're selling 21.5kWh gross capacity ones.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

This is up for debate in Germany, but a bill last year by the Green Party was defeated.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

:frogdunce:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Charles posted:

This is up for debate in Germany, but a bill last year by the Green Party was defeated.

It mainly got defeated because the car manufacturers have ridiculous political power in germany. The main arguments against speedlimits were "Well people still die in car crashes in countries with limits" and "Its not saving that much CO2". Those aren't even real arguments!
The majority of people now support speed limits except for the right wing and liberal shitheads.

And yes you can like cars and still think we need speed limits on the Autobahn because, as a lot of others have said, driving incredibly fast in a straight line is exciting for like 5 minutes and after that its just stressful
There literally no downside to speed limits on the Autobahn! Believe me i heard everything to try to justify not having them and in the end it always boils down to "well...what if i want to go really fast sometime?" to which i say again: Go to a loving racetrack so you aren't risking the lives of innocent people! I think i've heard somewhere that there are one or two halfway decent tracks in germany!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The worst doubling down in the history of AI

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Naw, I get it. I don't like losing fun stuff, but environmental damage will take it all away if we keep being stupid. I don't know enough about the safety aspects to comment on it.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

mobby_6kl posted:

The 130 km/h limit is a relic from the past when you were glad your car could even go that fast. Ehm. Anyway I'm not making any moral judgement, as I said this is just what I see people do all the time on the highways even outside of Germany.

Wait...why would you need to limit the speed to 130km when your car can barely reach that?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Given the thread, the CO2 argument should be moot for pure EV's.

Safety aspect wise, speed differential is the biggest issue and that's never going away. Due to many factors (driver training, comfort, vehicle capabilities, etc). So unless there's also a minimum speed per lane, yeah a completely unlimited speed will always pose problems. This is Automotive Insanity, so I absolutely will argue that Germany should be enforcing a minimum speed limit for all autobahn left lanes and no maximums if the vehicle is electric.

Edit:

Shai-Hulud posted:

Wait...why would you need to limit the speed to 130km when your car can barely reach that?

I don't know what vehicles you're thinking of but they certainly couldn't have been built in the last 10-15 years. Even a base model Corolla can do 140.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

cakesmith handyman posted:

That's a good review and a really nicely practical looking car, makes me wish they release something buzz shaped under the skoda brand at some point

Same delightfully awkward guy reviewing the 4S

https://youtu.be/OeVSqvACZ8A

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Charles posted:

Naw, I get it. I don't like losing fun stuff, but environmental damage will take it all away if we keep being stupid. I don't know enough about the safety aspects to comment on it.

They estimated it would save about 2 million tons of CO2 to limit the autobahn to 130km/h.
Yeah this would not save the planet but you would get those 2 million tons for free. Wouldnt cost a Euro.

And gently caress yes I'm doubling down. Because everytime you support speed limits the response is "you just hate cars and car culture und driving fast" which is bullshit. I love all of those things! But loving do your fun driving in a save way and keep the rest of the world save for people who're just traveling.

This also isn't the worst doubling down in AI. poo poo this isn't even the worst doubling down by me in this very thread!

Also, this is just a terrible derail so get in a couple more of those "you don't belong in AI" posts and then just move on.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

proposal: 130km/h limit for ICE cars, no speed limits for EVs

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

McTinkerson posted:

Given the thread, the CO2 argument should be moot for pure EV's.

We're a long way from carbon neutral generation, and I'd imagine EVs lose a bit of their efficiency advantage above 130kph.

Unlimited EV speeds in, like, Washington State and Norway.

My car can only go 145 kph

E:
probably with like a 30 mile range

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

proposal: 130km/h limit for ICE cars, no speed limits for EVs

:hmmyes:
This is a good compromise

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elviscat posted:

We're a long way from carbon neutral generation, and I'd imagine EVs lose a bit of their efficiency advantage above 130kph.

Unlimited EV speeds in, like, Washington State and Norway.

My car can only go 145 kph

E:
probably with like a 30 mile range

Germany is working on it, although I think they should keep their nuclear plants.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Shai-Hulud posted:

They estimated it would save about 2 million tons of CO2 to limit the autobahn to 130km/h.
Yeah this would not save the planet but you would get those 2 million tons for free. Wouldnt cost a Euro.

And gently caress yes I'm doubling down. Because everytime you support speed limits the response is "you just hate cars and car culture und driving fast" which is bullshit. I love all of those things! But loving do your fun driving in a save way and keep the rest of the world save for people who're just traveling.

This also isn't the worst doubling down in AI. poo poo this isn't even the worst doubling down by me in this very thread!

Also, this is just a terrible derail so get in a couple more of those "you don't belong in AI" posts and then just move on.

Its good natured ribbing. Chill out and relax. :colbert:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Elmnt80 posted:

Its good natured ribbing. Chill out and relax. :colbert:

Dude I'm so chill my hands are barely trembling as I write this!

Seriously though, I don't want to continue the derail.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Fair enough. Speed limit chat is done. Lets post about if electrons from a hydro plant give more torque than electrons from a wind farm or something. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Elmnt80 posted:

Fair enough. Speed limit chat is done. Lets post about if electrons from a hydro plant give more torque than electrons from a wind farm or something. :v:

Geothermal energy will remember this snub