Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

simble posted:

Sportys is a super reputable pilot shop. You shouldn’t have any trouble.

Awesome, thanks. I had never heard of them before, so just wanted to double check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh shoot now I did a VOR but for the landing it's ILS runway 34 via TCM 102 radial, 130 DME ARC and I have no idea how to do that now!

edit: TCM is a navpoint

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

TCM is a TACAN, which actually isn’t receivable by civilian nav radios unless the facility is co-located with a VOR as a VORTAC, which TCM is not. As a civilian you’d just be issued vectors to intercept the localiser.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Another thing I just figured out is how to use the ILS beacons at airports with the CDI. You don't set the heading for these, because I assume it expects you to be on the same heading as the runway. But it will get you lined up with the runway with the vertical bar and uses the horizontal bar to tell you if you are above or below the glide slope.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What good iOS apps for ipad are there that compliment Microsoft Flight Sim?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrYenko posted:

TCM is a TACAN, which actually isn’t receivable by civilian nav radios unless the facility is co-located with a VOR as a VORTAC, which TCM is not. As a civilian you’d just be issued vectors to intercept the localiser.

ah oops

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Poked at this in the Discord but is there some repository or collection of links to player fixes for things like the Citation fuel consumption?

I've seen a few of them floating around and just wondered if I can find what people are putting out there instead of just hopefully googling weird specific issues.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I finally got into FSE yesterday and found some flights to do between small Appalachian airports. On the return trip I saw the destination had a VOR/DME approach it and was nighttime so why not give that a shot? Besides not knowing how to set it up correctly (CSE knob) and letting the AP handle it, I also missed this little number at the bottom of the plate:

5 degree glideslope; so I went sailing 1500 feet over the runway. Easy pattern landing on the second try.
Afterwards I went and found the G-1000 manual to figure out how to actually use this thing.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I wonder if Asobo are annoyed that "FS2020" has become a popular shorthand for their game that absolutely does not have a year in the title and is supposed to be supported for a decade. Though, their fault for using the most generic name possible in the first place.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I said come in! posted:

What good iOS apps for ipad are there that compliment Microsoft Flight Sim?

Warning! I don't know if these work with MSFS (yet), but some of the good old apps were:

AirTrack and AirFMC if you fly tubeliners:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/airtrack/id380647441

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/airfmc/id773310905

RemoteFlight apps for GA gauges and maps:
https://www.remoteflight.net/

Map app:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fswidgets-igmap/id379872511

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

uvar posted:

I wonder if Asobo are annoyed that "FS2020" has become a popular shorthand for their game that absolutely does not have a year in the title and is supposed to be supported for a decade. Though, their fault for using the most generic name possible in the first place.

Soft reboots are a plague for the reuse of the name. Like we get that it’s the same thing kinda, and still maybe use the name, but then add some new subtitle that lets us know that it’s new and improved and full of new and exciting features that we’ll be familiar with.

Maybe like, MSFS MAX?

Wait...

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Soft reboots are a plague for the reuse of the name. Like we get that it’s the same thing kinda, and still maybe use the name, but then add some new subtitle that lets us know that it’s new and improved and full of new and exciting features that we’ll be familiar with.

Maybe like, MSFS MAX?

Wait...

Considering some of my autopilot experience that certainly isn't inaccurate

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Rise of Flight is having a sale now. The base game with a handful of planes is free, though. I recommend trying it out, I've had good fun with it through the years.

https://riseofflight.com/store/

Iafeth
Jul 17, 2017

lobsterminator posted:

Rise of Flight is having a sale now. The base game with a handful of planes is free, though. I recommend trying it out, I've had good fun with it through the years.

https://riseofflight.com/store/

Wasn't it ported to Il-2 Battle of Stalingrad engine as a DLC?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Iafeth posted:

Yes, but that is very expensive. Basically only reason you'd go to Flying Circus is if you need VR.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Man that Cessna 208's autopilot really wants to kill all humans.

If anyone can tell me how to keep it from trying to go straight up and kill us all in the next 2 hours, I'd really appreciate it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I've only cleared leg five of the Nevada bush run and I'm already tired of this mode. If you quit out and go back in it puts you in a different location and breaks the navlog so you need to do it all in one shot. The POI instructions have gone from having to pick the right words out of the tourist soup to deliberately misleading sentences that are just short of outright lies. I've got google maps open just to try to figure out where this poo poo is, with youtube as a backup for unmarked locations.

Bedurndurn posted:

If anyone can tell me how to keep it from trying to go straight up and kill us all in the next 2 hours, I'd really appreciate it.

Fix your trim that the AP went crazy on, turn off any ALT/HDG/whatever modes, get back to reasonable level flight, make sure your CDI selection is where you want to go, turn AP back on. Prepare for it to set your trim to murder if you turn it off again.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 2, 2020

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Is there a point to touching the COM radio at all? I found my airport and tuned it in, but the ATC window just has options to tune the traffic region so a person can pointlessly follow my flight and the nearest airport list.

quote:

Fix your trim that the AP went crazy on, turn off any ALT/HDG/whatever modes, get back to reasonable level flight, make sure your CDI selection is where you want to go, turn AP back on. Prepare for it to set your trim to murder if you turn it off again.

Yeah I think it just solidly broke on that flight. FD didn't show anything, but I'd assume it pointed straight up, even with no modes on the AP engaged at all. Had to land at the nearest airfield, quit out and start from there on a new flight. Fortunately FSE is cool with that.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Bedurndurn posted:

Is there a point to touching the COM radio at all? I found my airport and tuned it in, but the ATC window just has options to tune the traffic region so a person can pointlessly follow my flight and the nearest airport list.

If you're using VATSIM or the like maybe, but for most people no not really.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bedurndurn posted:

You mean the actual radio instrument in your cockpit? Only reason that's there is for the sim aspect, if automatically tuning your radio via the ATC interface is too abstract for you.

If you mean simply using the coms at all, that's also just for realism's sake, really. If there are other players in the area they will actually hear your radio chatter and maybe they'll also be the type who will give a poo poo and wait for you to land or whatever. It also will trigger some of the assists you can enable. Radioing in to say you're landing will display the landing guide. Saying you have landed will show the taxi ribbon.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Bedurndurn posted:

It's fun to try for a while at some point. Basically it just adds another thing you have to manually fiddle with instead of pushing one button, which can be a hassle if you happen to be in the middle of some procedure. I hate manipulating the knobs with my mouse so I just use the ATC menu. If I had one of those physical radio controllers it might actually be fun.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
OnAir really goes well with working from home. It's very satisfying and relaxing starting a flight and just watching the world drift by as you work.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Walton Simons posted:

OnAir really goes well with working from home. It's very satisfying and relaxing starting a flight and just watching the world drift by as you work.

I too "play" Flight Simulator this way.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You mean the actual radio instrument in your cockpit? Only reason that's there is for the sim aspect, if automatically tuning your radio via the ATC interface is too abstract for you.

Yeah the actual radio controls on the Garmin. I can tune it to my ATC, but I can't actually seem to initiate contact through there. The only way I've been able to talk to a tower is to pick it from the Nearest Airport List. Even knowing the exact freq of the tower I want (from skyvector, etc) doesn't seem to let me initiate a conversation. It's kind of a pain in the rear end, because I'd like to find out what runway I'm supposed to land at so I know how to approach the field, but I can't find them in the nearest list until I'm *super* close if there's a lot of small shitter fields nearby the actual airfield I want.

So maybe I can explain this way. I'm flying to Logan (KBOS). Skyvector tells me:

Skyvector posted:

D-ATIS: 135.0 ;ARR (617-455-3003) 135.0 ;DEP (617-455-3003)
ASOS: Tel. 617-567-5762
BOSTON TOWER: 124.725 ;HELICOPTERS 128.8 ;WEST 132.225 ;EAST 257.8
BOSTON GROUND: 121.75 121.9
BOSTON APPROACH: 118.25 ;NORTH 120.6 ;WEST 127.2 ;SOUTH 263.1
BOSTON DEPARTURE: 133.0
IC: 120.6 ;WEST 263.1
CLEARANCE DELIVERY: 121.65 257.8
UNICOM: 122.950

I twist my radio's nipples to say 124.725, hit the double arrow to make it the active freq instead of the standby and.... what?

If I open the ATC comm menu with scroll lock, it doesn't seem to care that I tuned it and I can't say that I want to do a full stop landing.

If I find KBOS from the nearest airfield list, it autotunes and initiates the convo and I can pick a landing. But doing it manually literally doesn't seem to accomplish anything.

quote:

If you mean simply using the coms at all, that's also just for realism's sake, really. If there are other players in the area they will actually hear your radio chatter and maybe they'll also be the type who will give a poo poo and wait for you to land or whatever. It also will trigger some of the assists you can enable. Radioing in to say you're landing will display the landing guide. Saying you have landed will show the taxi ribbon.

Yeah, that's the (limited) features I'm trying to get.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

Sagebrush posted:

e: btw if anyone has any good online sources for charts from outside the USA, let me know. I am especially mad that Nav Canada doesn't make its publications freely available

As a Canadian I've been looking around for any online source for proper sectional & ILS charts for my area and fltplan.com is the only one with real Canadian charts I've found so far: https://mapviewer.fltplan.com/?USER=PILOT&maptype=sectionals. It's no SkyVector from a usability perspective, but having the real charts for VFR bush flights in northern BC is great.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Bedurndurn posted:

So maybe I can explain this way. I'm flying to Logan (KBOS). Skyvector tells me:

I twist my radio's nipples to say 124.725, hit the double arrow to make it the active freq instead of the standby and.... what?

If I open the ATC comm menu with scroll lock, it doesn't seem to care that I tuned it and I can't say that I want to do a full stop landing.

I don't know if this is the issue, but in real life you would not call Boston Tower directly. KBOS is a class B airport with approach control, so you call up approach and request clearance into their airspace first, then approach hands you off to tower as you reach the surface area of their airspace.

Maybe try tuning one of those approach frequencies first?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Does anyone know if you can have a company on each world in On Air or if I wanted to make one on the survival world I would lose my casual world company?

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

big nipples big life posted:

Does anyone know if you can have a company on each world in On Air or if I wanted to make one on the survival world I would lose my casual world company?

You can have different companies in each world.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Nice, thanks

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

For sure. I was hesitant to try it myself because I had a decent little thing going in Cumulus but wanted to join goons on Thunder and tried it. No issues at all.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I like the whole thing with managing employees and being able to send out AI flights so I was hesitant about changing worlds. That's good news, I will toss them some cash.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Iafeth posted:

The dlc for Il-2 has no singleplayer. It's just for 1918 multiplayer dogfighting.

Rise of flight has a full dynamic campaign from 1914 - 1918 with the real-time technology progression.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Urrrgh, I am never landing at a small airfield again. Tried landing in Ireland in broad daylight and got the thickest fog I've ever seen even at 1000ft. Damaged my landing gear and OnAir interprets that as a crash and so I'm back in Belgium with the job incomplete which is annoying, I'd much rather have to pay to mend the plane and have the job complete, I'm sure the 232lb of magazines they ordered were fine. Will probably just eat the penalty since I'm not doing it again and it seems a fair penalty for loving up.

There's probably a lesson in there about overstretching myself, I would have diverted but I had virtually no fuel left.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 2, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I tried an RNAV Lansing last night and the approach it put me on was NOWHERE near the actual runway.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Is there a way for me to use 'travel to' in OnAir to get my plane to Ireland? It's really silly that I've been teleported back to Belgium for damaging my landing gear and OnAir just won't have it when I use Travel To when it's tracking my flight. Not the end of the world but I do like where I've travelled to be persistent.

e: Ah, never mind, a job to Berlin will suit me fine.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 2, 2020

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I tried an RNAV Lansing last night and the approach it put me on was NOWHERE near the actual runway.

I've done plenty of rnav sids/stars and approaches in fs2020 and haven't had an issue yet (other than dialing in altitude for approaches on the sr22 / g1000, doesnt take for me!).

What airport, what approach, what plane? Maybe you selected an approach for the wrong side of the runway so it was sending you 15nm to the other side of the airport to start the approach for the opposite runway heading?

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Apparently the first patch got released, though it's not downloading for me yet. As expected, it really only fixed the installer issues that people were having so nothing to get super excited about (unless you're one of those people of course, in which case...yay you!)

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
No fix for the missing Altitude knob on the G58, then? :(

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

First Time Caller posted:

I've done plenty of rnav sids/stars and approaches in fs2020 and haven't had an issue yet (other than dialing in altitude for approaches on the sr22 / g1000, doesnt take for me!).

What airport, what approach, what plane? Maybe you selected an approach for the wrong side of the runway so it was sending you 15nm to the other side of the airport to start the approach for the opposite runway heading?

It was KPBI to KSUA. Did Runway 30 via MONAD since I was coming from the south. Everything appeared good until I was past WOLOB and it became apparent I was not lined up with the runway at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Bedurndurn posted:

Man that Cessna 208's autopilot really wants to kill all humans.

FS2020's autopilot puts the 'Sky' in 'Skynet'.