Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

"Yeah, duh. Kicking is badass."

I just started watching this show and it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Binged through the first season today and was shocked at how good it was. Really looking forward to season 2.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
In the middle of season 1 and this show is just a blast.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I really hope anyone who's interested to give the show a try, by the mid point of season 1 its firing on all cylinders.

All the dialogue around the show when it first aired in 2018 was not only how good it was but it was an outstanding example of how to follow up on a wildly popular decades old franchise/IP.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've said it before but the huge fight at the end of season 2 is just amazing. Better than that pitch black zombie poo poo on GoT.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Just binged season 1 and 2 and holy gently caress I love this awesome cheesy show SO MUCH.

IT WAS SO GOOD.

I haven't taken to a show this much since Stranger Things debuted.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
It's really cool to see new fans of the show. It deserves the exposure and good reviews because it's just... badass fun

Can we change the thread title to just
Cobra Kai - It's badass

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Rewatching from s1. This show is way more nuanced and thoughtful than it has any right to be, and on top of that it's also really fun.

Cobra Kai: Post First. Post Hard. No Mercy

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I think I'm going to binge it a second time. It was so good.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I'm loving the dumb ratshit energy so far. "Kicks get chicks!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm gonna warm up some butter to knock back while I rewatch season 1.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I was gonna say the best parts of each season are when Daniel and Johnny almost seem like they're becoming friends, until events already in motion set them back at each other's throats.

Then I realised the best part is any time Amanda makes fun of the whole karate rivalry thing.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Roach Warehouse posted:

I was gonna say the best parts of each season are when Daniel and Johnny almost seem like they're becoming friends, until events already in motion set them back at each other's throats.

Then I realised the best part is any time Amanda makes fun of the whole karate rivalry thing.

Yeah all of this is awesome. I am hoping with Kreese established as probably the big villain for season 3 we get a more extended Daniel and Johnny team up.

This show is so amazingly good at portraying cycles of abuse and bullying and really exploring it from all angles. It's obviously silly on the surface that every disagreement gets resolved with karate kicks but the emotional basis for those karate kicks is otherwise so well developed.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah all of this is awesome. I am hoping with Kreese established as probably the big villain for season 3 we get a more extended Daniel and Johnny team up.

This show is so amazingly good at portraying cycles of abuse and bullying and really exploring it from all angles. It's obviously silly on the surface that every disagreement gets resolved with karate kicks but the emotional basis for those karate kicks is otherwise so well developed.

I'm guessing that Daniel teaches Johnny some of the miyagi-do magic and they teach karate together. Daniel is obviously having problems balancing his successful business and teach karate while Johnny has come to realize that he likes teaching and improving the children. Also Johnny will be the one to get through to Robby and get him to realize that losing isn't the end of the world and that he was wrong to hit Miguel after Miguel had beat him and shown mercy.

Although there will surely be a big fight scene between Daniel and Johnny before that happens.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I hope Macchio actually trains enough to keep up with Zabka. Zabka obviously kept up his training which shows in his kick forms while Macchio can't even lift his leg above hip level.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Kunabomber posted:

I hope Macchio actually trains enough to keep up with Zabka. Zabka obviously kept up his training which shows in his kick forms while Macchio can't even lift his leg above hip level.

I'm only a few episodes in, but I noticed that detail and liked it as a character beat.

Daniel talks a lot about his love of karate and is coasting on the past glory of it, but he obviously hasn't actually kept up with it. Johnny is a dipshit, and equally stuck in the past, but he's definitely been practicing more than Daniel.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Just now finishing the 2nd Season and its been excellent however

Cobra Kai Season 2: These young teens are seriously under supervised by adults and teachers

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

isaboo posted:

It's really cool to see new fans of the show. It deserves the exposure and good reviews because it's just... badass fun

Can we change the thread title to just
Cobra Kai - It's badass

Sounds like lame rear end karate to me :smug:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The show is literally Gilmore Girls with everyone getting punched in the face.

Which is awesome. I mean, I'm a HUGE GG fan, but it's like they channeled what made that so charming and then tossed it into a karate blender.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I started this show 3 days ago and now I am halfway through S2, this show owns.

As far as S3 goes, if that is the final season; I assume both Dojo's unite in the end because they finally act like adults about things.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Zedd posted:

I started this show 3 days ago and now I am halfway through S2, this show owns.

As far as S3 goes, if that is the final season; I assume both Dojo's unite in the end because they finally act like adults about things.

I highly doubt season 3 will be the last. Part of why they left YouTube was to find somewhere that was going to let them continue past S3.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Spacebump posted:

I highly doubt season 3 will be the last. Part of why they left YouTube was to find somewhere that was going to let them continue past S3.

At 10 episodes a season, I'd like to see maybe 5 or 6 total seasons. I'd hate for this wonderful show to get bogged down trying to keep neverending story lines going.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Cobra Kai Season 4: The Gang Learns The Dim Mak

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Philthy posted:

The show is literally Gilmore Girls with everyone getting punched in the face.

Which is awesome. I mean, I'm a HUGE GG fan, but it's like they channeled what made that so charming and then tossed it into a karate blender.

You sold me in an instant. I definitely did not expect this pitch.

I realize this isn't the Karate Kid MOVIE thread, so I hope this is ok:
I somehow made it my entire life without watching any Karate Kid movies and just watched the first one, great movie; really cool to see an actual Japanese person playing a Japanese character. Holy crap at him casually giving away those bonsai's to people he just met, it fits his character, but god drat! If they had a cash value that would be obscene. Love it.

What I actually wanted to ask though, any input on whether Karate Kid 2 is worth watching before Cobra Kai?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

XboxPants posted:

I realize this isn't the Karate Kid MOVIE thread, so I hope this is ok:
I somehow made it my entire life without watching any Karate Kid movies and just watched the first one, great movie; really cool to see an actual Japanese person playing a Japanese character. Holy crap at him casually giving away those bonsai's to people he just met, it fits his character, but god drat! If they had a cash value that would be obscene. Love it.

What I actually wanted to ask though, any input on whether Karate Kid 2 is worth watching before Cobra Kai?

2 is worth watching but not required. 3 is a tougher sell but the villain Terry Silver's scenes are worth watching. It looks like season 3 will be filled with Karate Kid Part II callbacks, just make sure to watch it before that season gets released. The first Karate Kid is the only one I'd consider a classic. The second film is a decent follow up. I will say the third film is much better than the Next Karate Kid. I can't recommend watching that one, it's just too bad.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I would personally say watch 2 and 3 before watching the series. They probably aren't necessary, but they are both fairly enjoyable and will give you more context about Daniel and Mr. Miyagi.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah I literally have never watched the entirety of 2 in my life and only recently caught maybe 40% of it on cable. So far there hasn't been anything I felt like I missed in CK because of it. 3 is ridiculous but also has some good hammy acting from the villains.

And yeah Daniel and Miyagi's relationship is the heart of all three.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've seen the first movie about 2-3 times when it was released and I think I saw the second one and thought it was meh. I don't remember it at all. I never bothered beyond that. I might go back and rewatch 2 maybe because I was just angsty stupid kid.

XboxPants posted:

I have a lot of fun drawing the parallels between the two casts. Lane, Paris, Dean, Jess. They're all here. The whole family/friends/dys/functional dramarama. All of it. With punching. And kicking. And leg sweeps.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 2, 2020

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Spacebump posted:

2 is worth watching but not required. 3 is a tougher sell but the villain Terry Silver's scenes are worth watching. It looks like season 3 will be filled with Karate Kid Part II callbacks, just make sure to watch it before that season gets released. The first Karate Kid is the only one I'd consider a classic. The second film is a decent follow up. I will say the third film is much better than the Next Karate Kid. I can't recommend watching that one, it's just too bad.

Man the third movie is hilarious. If you watch it with the same attitude as if you would watch Sidekicks (another fun 90s coming if age karate movie) then it's incredible.

The second movie is good because of the one liners. And also the villain. And also the scenery even though it's not Okinawa at all, which is a shame because Okinawa is beautiful on its own. Hope to see some familiar spots in season 3

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

waah posted:

Man the third movie is hilarious. If you watch it with the same attitude as if you would watch Sidekicks (another fun 90s coming if age karate movie) then it's incredible.

The second movie is good because of the one liners. And also the villain. And also the scenery even though it's not Okinawa at all, which is a shame because Okinawa is beautiful on its own. Hope to see some familiar spots in season 3

When the first season initially came out on youtube, one of my classmates loved it but had never seen the movies. We watched all of them. This led to us overusing two quotes from 3 "you know what I like" and "wake up and smell the coffee Mr. LaRusso." The peak of this happened while we were doing an abroad program in Scotland. A Scottish person overhead us using the quotes at a pub one day, he turned around, looked at us, attempted his best American accent, and said "you know what I like." We died laughing, we never got to tell him that was a quote from Karate Kid Part 3.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm so happy you're all here.

I was really worried this show would die before it found a large audience.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Karate Kid 2 is one of those rare sequels that is better than the original.

Mr. Sato FTW.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Edit: Wrong thread.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

PeterCat posted:

Karate Kid 2 is one of those rare sequels that is better than the original.

I love me some Karate Kid 2, but I can't agree with this. If nothing else the camera work and the non verbal story telling in the first movie were miles ahead of the second.

There are so many subtle things in the first movie that add to the experience, that the movie never actually out and tells you.

I don't think the first movie ever explicitly states that Miyagi won the Medal of Honor. It just assumes you'll recognize that it's a big deal. But if you know what the medal of honor looks like you are thinking holy poo poo that's a big deal, why arent people freaking out about this?

Similarly when Daniel and his mom are at the lunch or what ever and the Cobra Kai guys see him is a great scene. Like there's two stories being told in that one scene and its brilliant.

The second movie has all the subtlety you'd expect from a mid 80s sequel. Doesn't make it bad, just doesn't give it that extra umph to make it special.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

IDK, I don't think anything in the original is as good as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSPaaPqteCU

Plus the stakes at the end are a lot higher.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Double-you-double-you-double-you-period-COBRA-KAI-period-See-Oh-Emm.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So has anyone rewatched Iron Eagle 1 and 2 yet? Because those were movies I freakin loved as a kid but I'm kinda scared to go back to 30 years later. Or maybe it was 2 that I hated because of.. reasons.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 3, 2020

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Robby's probably my favorite breakout character. What a snack.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

TMMadman posted:

At 10 episodes a season, I'd like to see maybe 5 or 6 total seasons. I'd hate for this wonderful show to get bogged down trying to keep neverending story lines going.

Yeah, it feels like a show that shouldn't just turn into a weekly sitcom kinda thing -- they've had a few overarching themes but if they try to do six seasons we're going to get sick of Johnny and Daniel almost becoming friends before something terrible happens to put them at eachother's throats again, or teenagers building confidence and respect but also falling victim to the bad aspects of their dojo's philosophy. It doesn't feel like an endless show in syndication as much as another arc in these characters' lives, and that arc is going to draw to a close eventually. It feels like they're building to a series conclusion after that horrible S2 finale (horrible as in "poor fuckin' Johnny and Miguel"), where Johnny needs to be built back up somehow so he can finally bury the hatchet with Daniel and find balance in his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I think one of the things that makes this show so great is that it has a deep love of The Karate Kid franchise, but never holds back on teasing the cheesiest parts of it.

To wit, the hilarious contrast between in s1 teaching Robbie Miyagi-do karate by having him wash cars and the first kids at Miyagi-do Dojo thinking Danny was tricking them into doing his yardwork for free