Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Fame Douglas posted:

"Out of solidarity" with people that can't go to a hair salon (because they don't want to)?

the salons are closed, genius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Wattsamatta posted:

This is a bullshit crabs-in-a-bucket mentality fueled by jealousy rather than any concern for leadership or well-being
Yes, this is the modern conservative interpretation of covid19 restrictions, especially when it comes to any democrat doing anything even vaguely outside the strictest possible interpretation of pandemic safety rules.

Here in IL, Gov Pritzker has made many speeches about the dangers of covid19. When he goes to those, he is wearing a mask, keeps wearing a mask until he gets to the podium at a safe distance, takes the mask off to speak, and puts it back on afterwards. Still photographs are taken of him making these speeches, during the like four minutes when he's not wearing a mask.

And, inevitably, some nutball in Facebook comment threads will comment "BUT WHERE IS HIS MASK?" because, you see, he is promoting masks and yet clearly is not wearing one mid-speech. And conservatives don't understand the concept of still photography, or at least conveniently pretend not to. To conservatives, this is a compelling argument about hypocrisy.

I mean this is obviously absurd. But when you also have stuff like 'Pelosi unmasked in a hair salon' which is less obviously absurd, and when you're talking about a political faction primarily driven by grievances and anger and jealousy, it has legs. And it's ammunition every time anyone says "hey wear a mask" because they can then shoot back "BUT PELOSI."

e:

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Sounds like there's really nothing she can do that would make people happy.
Correct, which is why she should probably worry more about optics.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
my uncle had to go to the ER w/ covid yesterday

i have decided i can no longer support this virus

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Mozi posted:

my uncle had to go to the ER w/ covid yesterday

i have decided i can no longer support this virus

have you considered how unfair this is from the virus' point of view? there are bad entities on both sides

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I like how my local CHUDs are mooing and oinking about how if you're wearing a mask at the grocery store or elsewhere in public, that you're scared of virus?!? But they're terrified of "Soros funded Antifa supersoldiers" coming to their low density exurban sprawl shithole. lol

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Gonna ask my boss to implement a mask policy at work. The store has been very ill prepared for this and so far we've been lucky but with all the schools starting next week it's only a matter of time.

If he fires me for it at least Ill get my Canadian covid bux.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

Gonna ask my boss to implement a mask policy at work. The store has been very ill prepared for this and so far we've been lucky but with all the schools starting next week it's only a matter of time.

If he fires me for it at least Ill get my Canadian covid bux.

get the ministry of labour involved if you dont wanna risk getting fired

(use your rights)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Masks everywhere at all times has been the norm here now for a month or two. It's just natural to see everyone wearing em now.

My wife is a cashier and she said she gets only a small handful of people refusing to wear masks and that they're all loving nutty as poo poo. Like you can't even say hello without them going off on weird rear end conversations that make no sense.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
my classes are all pretty barren, the other day i was the only one in the studio working on my stuff for the entire day. i went to go get coffee from a place that is exclusively doing pick ups outside, and i looked at the campus rec center windows on the way and the sight of people working out, in an enclosed space, with not a single mask in sight, was a sight i never thought would horrify me.

they were still charging for yoga classes.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Close relative thinks we're being silly when we insist on wearing masks and sitting outside when visiting. You are old, morbidly obese, with a history of major health problems. If they caught the virus it would be a near certain fatal outcome, but we're being cruel for refusing to go inside your house to move furniture around because you're bored.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

OMFG FURRY posted:

my classes are all pretty barren, the other day i was the only one in the studio working on my stuff for the entire day. i went to go get coffee from a place that is exclusively doing pick ups outside, and i looked at the campus rec center windows on the way and the sight of people working out, in an enclosed space, with not a single mask in sight, was a sight i never thought would horrify me.

they were still charging for yoga classes.

Yeah I live near a gym and the number of people coming and going from there horrifies me. I don't know what the mask situation is but it can't be good.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Finding work during Covid times is rough enough as it is. I am still on unemployment and do not have to report job findings for the next couple months but I am still worried about my future. This sucks.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Wattsamatta posted:

This is a bullshit crabs-in-a-bucket mentality fueled by jealousy rather than any concern for leadership or well-being. As stated, Pelosi followed the rules as directed by the salon itself, but we live in a time of "Gotcha!" It's a dumb and frustrating distraction that pisses me off no end.

Sorry - back to lurking.

I thought the state rules were outdoor haircuts only? So you just need to be a high power politician and you get to open up closed businesses for just you?

She should have been forced out of politics a long time ago anyway. There is no reason for an octogenarian to be in any high position of power.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

coronavirus posted:

I thought the state rules were outdoor haircuts only? So you just need to be a high power politician and you get to open up closed businesses for just you?

That’s correct they are. She knew or should have known.

She is also rich enough that she could have had someone come to her.

It’s a bad look no matter how you cut it and I dunno how anyone can defend it. It’s triple bad when you are someone in power.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

coronavirus posted:

MarcusSA posted:

That’s correct they are. She knew or should have known.

She is also rich enough that she could have had someone come to her.

It’s a bad look no matter how you cut it and I dunno how anyone can defend it. It’s triple bad when you are someone in power.

?????

California state website says hair salons and barbershops in San Francisco County "Can open indoors with modifications."

https://covid19.ca.gov/safer-economy/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

?????

California state website says hair salons and barbershops in San Francisco County "Can open indoors with modifications."

https://covid19.ca.gov/safer-economy/

:shrug: apparently not when she went and she admitted she didn’t know.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MarcusSA posted:

It’s a bad look no matter how you cut it

RUDE the hairdresser tried her best :mad:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Wattsamatta posted:

This is a bullshit crabs-in-a-bucket mentality fueled by jealousy
Pelosi is an insanely wealthy and powerful politician--she puts crabs in buckets.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 2, 2020

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

:shrug: apparently not when she went and she admitted she didn’t know.

Articles suggest it is a city rule, which is maybe stricter than the state and county rules?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Pelosi is extremely tone deaf and, among other things, terrible with optics. I wish she would go away forever.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Articles suggest it is a city rule, which is maybe stricter than the state and county rules?

Yeah probably. LA has stricter rules too.

People are pissed off because it’s yet another gently caress you got mine from people in leadership. I’ll do whatever I want but y’all need to follow the rules.

gently caress all of them.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Plenty of blame to go around.

Regardless of the rules, the optics are bad. Pelosi should have known better. That said, it sounds like this was set up by her staff, who were told it was allowed.

CNN posted:

"This business offered for the speaker to come in on Monday and told her they were allowed by the city to have one customer at a time in the business," Hammill said. "The speaker complied with the rules as presented to her by this establishment."
Pelosi's staff said the speaker has a regular stylist who typically goes to Pelosi's house to do her hair. But that person was not available on Monday so referred Pelosi's staff to a stylist at eSalon because it is where Pelosi's regular stylist used to work.

The salon owner knew the day before and did not try to stop it. Instead, she waited until afterwards and went running to Fox News.

CNN posted:

Kious told Fox News that stylists in her salon are independent and rent chairs, and that it was one of her independent stylists who told Kious that she was planning to do Pelosi's hair on Monday.
Kious told Fox News, while noting that she "can't control" what her stylists do if they rent chairs from her, as "they're not paying" at this time.
source:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/02/politics/nancy-pelosi-hair-salon/index.html

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
If you find yourself defending a 100 million dollar woman , take a long look into how much you are blinded by teammanship and actually are devoid of pro labor thought

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

coronavirus posted:

If you find yourself defending a 100 million dollar woman , take a long look into how much you are blinded by teammanship and actually are devoid of pro labor thought

this is loving dumb as poo poo

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

I forgot that Macbeth is required reading in English

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Old politicians suck and are out of touch, including Pelosi. Do we have to Both Sides a haircut when GOP politicians are publicly posting fantasies threatening to murder black people in the streets?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Fargin Icehole posted:

I forgot that Macbeth is required reading in English
must be hard for scots to read macbeth in a foreign language

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

must be hard for scots to read macbeth in a foreign language

I’m sure they have a translated version, just called “The Play”

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

We've been in school since July 30. Our superintendent, on September 2, has just now figured out that the "15 minutes of exposure" doesn't have to be 15 consecutive minutes and sent out a revised reopening plan.

loving lol.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I dont really have a problem with this fox News talking point. In a same society with one customer at a time, it is a reasonable precaution. The paradox of the attack is that it's not a reasonable precaution here.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Close relative thinks we're being silly when we insist on wearing masks and sitting outside when visiting. You are old, morbidly obese, with a history of major health problems. If they caught the virus it would be a near certain fatal outcome, but we're being cruel for refusing to go inside your house to move furniture around because you're bored.

Man this is my mom and I. She's older, needs a heart and lung transplant, and has had issues oxygenating her blood for the last 5 odd years. And she calls me about once a week asking when I'm going to come and take her out to dinner. I keep telling her no, that's super unsafe for her and I'm not taking her anywhere until this all blows over, and now I'm the bad guy.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/02/health/covid-19-vaccine-cdc-plans.html

Yup, definitely no possible way the Trump administration will exert pressure to release a vaccine before election day.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I dont really have a problem with this fox News talking point. In a same society with one customer at a time, it is a reasonable precaution. The paradox of the attack is that it's not a reasonable precaution here.

This one Democrat who thought she was following the rules turned out not to be so clearly Republicans are blameless. That's the talking point that you say you're okay with.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Jfc you guys in the states are still getting 1000 DEATHS a day.

Uk made a loving pigs ear of this thing and is reopening with abandon but even though daily case numbers aren't completely under control (1000+ most days) deaths are down to single digits most days in the past few weeks. Good FT article on possible reasons deaths are so low even though we're still getting a lot of cases https://www.ft.com/content/c011e214-fb95-4a64-b23c-2bd87ebb29d7 (conclusion: likely a combination of expanded testing catching milder cases, younger age profile, lower viral loads due to mostly infections being from community spread, and better care for cases which do become severe.)

But to get back to my original point, opening up again with tens of thousands of daily cases and hundreds of deaths is loving madness, my life is.returning to some semblance of normal so seeing how tough things still are for y'all even after so long is heartbreaking

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Fatkraken posted:

But to get back to my original point, opening up again with tens of thousands of daily cases and hundreds of deaths is loving madness, my life is.returning to some semblance of normal so seeing how tough things still are for y'all even after so long is heartbreaking

Do not weep for us, we deserve this.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I find it more outrageous that Fox News chooses that Pelosi story as an article-worthy example of a politician being careless during quarantine. Fox News who downplayed and questioned the seriousness of covid during the initial months. Fox reported on the surge of new covid cases that resulted from Trump's no-mask-required Tulsa rally to the effect of "health experts say large gatherings are usually the cause of these case surges, but all those LOOTERS and RIOTERS breaking quarantine are driving case numbers up too!"

Wasn't there an official that didn't allow his staff to wear masks at required in-person meetings? And then announced that he had tested positive for covid at a meeting... while not wearing a mask. :allears: Whataboutism isn't terribly convincing when your counterpoint is that Pelosi didn't wear a mask when she got a haircut.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They all fuckin suck.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

BlackIronHeart posted:

Do not weep for us, we deserve this.

Speak for yourself. This kind of self-flagellation is frankly pretty gross. There are millions of people who do their best to stay safe and prevent the spread of CoV2 in the US who aren't the least bit deserving of this outcome.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

There Bias Two posted:

Speak for yourself. This kind of self-flagellation is frankly pretty gross. There are millions of people who do their best to stay safe and prevent the spread of CoV2 in the US who aren't the least bit deserving of this outcome.

Agreed completely, lol if any country thinks this will be over easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

They all fuckin suck.

Maybe we can not Both Sides this to the dumbest extent possible? For once?