Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/L3xAI7f.gifv
Today we’re going to play with molten magnesium.

https://youtu.be/ROwvRuMYBs8

To be fair, magnesium is cool as heck. It's very light weight; we used to have a few bars of it in a lab I worked in and I'd play with them while I was bored. It can also be quite strong if you use the right processing, though obviously not on the level of steel and such. It's probably my favorite metal.

Yes I have a favorite metal shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Bismuth posted:

especially all the effort that has to go in to growing actual real bone that fast, just to ditch it later

That is the whole point. It shows the females that you are so buff you can waste all that energy on a completely useless display to indicate you are fit to mate.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Log082 posted:

To be fair, magnesium is cool as heck. It's very light weight; we used to have a few bars of it in a lab I worked in and I'd play with them while I was bored. It can also be quite strong if you use the right processing, though obviously not on the level of steel and such. It's probably my favorite metal.

Yes I have a favorite metal shut up

My favorite metal is power metal

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Iron Crowned posted:

My favorite metal is power metal

But that's mostly cheese!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

A White Guy posted:

Deer are the bane of my existence. In this last week, I've had two close calls with a deer in broad daylight (usually mid-afternoon), for a total of 12 times a deer has just darted out in front of my ride in the last month. I have no clue what it is, but for some reason in August, these deer want to die.

I am going to hit a deer with my work truck sooner or later. I'm not actively trying to nail a deer but it's like the God of Statistical Probability keeps throwing deer at me to see when I finally gently caress up and nail one.

I know multiple people that have had their cars hit by deer, including one that had it happen while they were fully stopped waiting for the deer to cross the road safely. I've never seen an animal with such little regard for its own safety as a deer when it's running.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

D-Pad posted:

That is the whole point. It shows the females that you are so buff you can waste all that energy on a completely useless display to indicate you are fit to mate.

i don't think deer actually know about metabolic energy demands

i think this is just something humans made up

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely
Mischmetal is pretty cool too. You can shave bits of it off and they autoignite. It's much better than a cigarette lighter for starting camping stoves because you can just shave a piece off and let it fall through the gas.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Azathoth posted:

I know multiple people that have had their cars hit by deer, including one that had it happen while they were fully stopped waiting for the deer to cross the road safely. I've never seen an animal with such little regard for its own safety as a deer when it's running.

I think the issue is they don't want to hit you or the other way around, but their brains are wired assuming you are trying to chase them.

They go for the juke, or try to run through you assuming you'll get out of the way and RIP. You not wanting to kill and eat the deer is just not a possibility in their minds so they do all sorts of weird poo poo. Doesn't help that they seem to be too dumb to learn.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sagebrush posted:

i don't think deer actually know about metabolic energy demands

i think this is just something humans made up

Thousands of years of mating caused female deer to be impressed by large antlers even if they don't realize that bigger antlers means their potential mate is more genetically more fit for reproduction. And, even if the deer did learn that, it would probably be bad, because I learned in my human geography class today that more educated women tend to have more economic opportunities and end up having less children. So maybe instead of issuing hunting licenses, states should be opening deer colleges.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
watching some mine exploration vids and check out this busted suspension bridge just to get to the drat thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw2Og-bMJK8

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cojawfee posted:

Thousands of years of mating caused female deer to be impressed by large antlers even if they don't realize that bigger antlers means their potential mate is more genetically more fit for reproduction. And, even if the deer did learn that, it would probably be bad, because I learned in my human geography class today that more educated women tend to have more economic opportunities and end up having less children. So maybe instead of issuing hunting licenses, states should be opening deer colleges.
Not all natural selection happens in support of the grim natural calculus of fitness. After all you'd need to be a double mutant to be both a horn grower and still be stronger after all that horn growing.

The only safe assumption about peacocking is it happens because the mate thinks it looks kicking rad and everything beyond that is an extra bridge to prove.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Deer are pests. Giant, horny locusts with a love of playing in traffic.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Mustached Demon posted:

Deer are pests. Giant, horny locusts with a love of playing in traffic.

Yuuup. Living in Michigan, you can tell who hasn't lived here very long if they see a deer while driving and go 'Oooooh, how cuuuute!' instead of immediately scanning the other side of the road and saying 'Where are the others?!'. gently caress that deer and all it's relatives.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yuuup. Living in Michigan, you can tell who hasn't lived here very long if they see a deer while driving and go 'Oooooh, how cuuuute!' instead of immediately scanning the other side of the road and saying 'Where are the others?!'. gently caress that deer and all it's relatives.

Also true for rural Minnesota. I had a coworker hit a deer on the way in to work and she was more pissed that it got up and ran off than she was about her car, because as she put it, the car is busted up regardless, but she didn't even have any venison to show for it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Azathoth posted:

Also true for rural Minnesota. I had a coworker hit a deer on the way in to work and she was more pissed that it got up and ran off than she was about her car, because as she put it, the car is busted up regardless, but she didn't even have any venison to show for it.

Is it legal to keep deer you hit with your car there? I think it's illegal in Texas.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Deer suck more depending on where you are. Coastal southern deer are timid and will run with the car, then try and cross directly into the side of it. High mountain deer will stand there and look at you like "whats up" eatin' right next to the road.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I don’t think it’s legal here in Ohio to keep the carcass, which is fortunate for the deer around here. If you drive by the park near me, it’s almost easier to hit a deer than to avoid one. They just stand in the middle of the street and stare at you. They’ll move if you honk your horn. Eventually.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/BFSTl2e.gifv

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Cojawfee posted:

Is it legal to keep deer you hit with your car there? I think it's illegal in Texas.

In Texas you can keep it if a game warden let's you.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I was going to pull out some math on that to show that the pressure on his back is only about 5 psi and therefore he wasn't in any real danger, but then I saw the end

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Why

Why would you do that

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

WarpedNaba posted:

Why

Why would you do that

"Hey, look at this cool thing I found out about!"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I like his "ah gently caress. I can't believe you've done this." expression as he gets up

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The stupidest deer I've seen was the pack that walked up an on ramp next to a bridge near me. From there, they could either cross the Illinois River against traffic or go up hill for a quarter mile into a residential area. I did not stick around to see which they decided.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I had to expand this video a bit to see the details, so it might not work for everyone, but they had a little wind in Tyumen, Russia, this week.

https://giant.gfycat.com/FlawedUnrulyCopperhead.mp4

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Jfc :stare:

e2: apparently made it out alright, found a different video source.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEp4Q9ojaOd/?igshid=13ebl7ccb29b

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 3, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Icon Of Sin posted:

Jfc :stare:

e2: apparently made it out alright, found a different video source.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEp4Q9ojaOd/?igshid=13ebl7ccb29b

POSEIDON REJECTS YOUR OFFERING

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That looks more like acceptance to me, though what use He has for a backhoe is anyone’s guess :v:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Icon Of Sin posted:

That looks more like acceptance to me, though what use He has for a backhoe is anyone’s guess :v:

how do you think he digs all those trenches

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Memento posted:

how do you think he digs all those trenches

seahorse power

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Cojawfee posted:

Everyone in Texas is going 85 in a lifted pickup so any deer strikes just result in a lump of bone shard filled hamburger.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

A lot of the time they're going 85 on a motorcycle, so hitting a deer results in two lumps of bone shard filled hamburger.

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

Khizan posted:

A lot of the time they're going 85 on a motorcycle, so hitting a deer results in two lumps of bone shard filled hamburger.

And that is why Texas Barbeque is the best.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Texan trucks are evolving to be so tall they they can roll right over the deer.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Gonna be a whole lotta supervillains this time next year.

This is a good joke but it would have been more on the nose in 2015.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Khizan posted:

Meanwhile the deer runs away.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Z the IVth posted:

How did he manage to smash a horn with a shotgun without spraying both of them with buckshot?

It was a slug.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/deer-antlers-locked-1.5449058

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Domus posted:

I don’t think it’s legal here in Ohio to keep the carcass, which is fortunate for the deer around here. If you drive by the park near me, it’s almost easier to hit a deer than to avoid one. They just stand in the middle of the street and stare at you. They’ll move if you honk your horn. Eventually.

It's absolutely legal, but you have to report the accident to local authorities and buy a tag.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

yeah, if you ask, the cops will give you a permit when you report the accident. i think they're allowed to decline if getting it loaded up is gonna be dangerous or interfere with traffic, but generally they're happy to do so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coke
Jul 12, 2009
Zhylaw can attest to that :hmmyes: