Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

MarcusSA posted:

I guess I don't understand why they wouldn't just backorder it kinda how apple does with their launches.

I suspect it has to do with the fact its easier than issuing refunds for somebody that snagged a card in one of the jillion ways to buy GPUs?

Maybe they figure people are less apt to complain about waiting to order a card rather than receive a card they've paid for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the difference with Apple is that there're a bunch of SKUs across AIBs and chip tiers.
people are going to end up just buying whatever SKU's available for the tier they want (70/80/90)

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

shrike82 posted:

the difference with Apple is that there're a bunch of SKUs across AIBs and chip tiers.
people are going to end up just buying whatever SKU's available for the tier they want (70/80/90)

It is too bad that if you've ordered with an AIB before/have an account with activity/etc. that you can't just sign up to get in SOME KIND of line so you can just forget about it.

Then again, I guess if you're not antsy enough to be sniping, you can just wait until stock stabilizes.

Not looking forward to be fast at buying things; it's about my least favorite pasttime.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Statutory Ape posted:

I suspect it has to do with the fact its easier than issuing refunds for somebody that snagged a card in one of the jillion ways to buy GPUs?

Maybe they figure people are less apt to complain about waiting to order a card rather than receive a card they've paid for

Held money is always a liability. Better to just take orders for stock they have on hand rather than dangle the carrot for however long it takes to get the next wave.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

So whats the best time to pick up a used 2080 Ti on the back of this? Because I definitely dont think Im going to be able to snag a 3070 lol

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

Are there services that loan you a 2080 until you can get the 3080?

Geforce Now

lamo

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I mean launch day being stupid is a given, but as long as a 3070 is buy-able by mid November I don't give a poo poo.

Not having stock to buy before Christmas shopping kicks off would be beyond moronic unless the cards literally just can't be made.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

sean10mm posted:

I mean launch day being stupid is a given, but as long as a 3070 is buy-able by mid November I don't give a poo poo.

Not having stock to buy before Christmas shopping kicks off would be beyond moronic unless the cards literally just can't be made.

I am curious, why else do you think the card wouldn't be available to purchase?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Apologies and :rip: to anyone who thought they were going to be able to "Step Up." =/

Control Volume posted:

So whats the best time to pick up a used 2080 Ti on the back of this? Because I definitely dont think Im going to be able to snag a 3070 lol

When 3070s hit the channel in buyable quantity. So TL;DR: :shrug:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

When 3070s hit the channel in buyable quantity. So TL;DR: :shrug:

Gah, but thats exactly the time I would want to buy a 3070 instead!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
On Ryzen: they're the only ones right now with PCIe 4.0 support - even if you have an Z490 motherboard with the right design for it, the CPUs don't support it, and won't until Rocket Lake. People probably won't need PCIe 4.0 to drive their Ampere GPUs, but people are still going to want to have it anyway for """futureproofing""", so Ryzen has a leg up in enticing people to pair that with their new Nvidia GPU as they plan for builds.

On the paper launch: suddenly it makes sense why they're offering GeForce Now!!!

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Apologies and :rip: to anyone who thought they were going to be able to "Step Up." =/

The EVGA step up program does not require the GPU to be in stock, only to be released within the 90 day period.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Cinara posted:

The EVGA step up program does not require the GPU to be in stock, only to be released within the 90 day period.

Yeah I had to wait 5 months to get a stepup for then-unavailable 2080 but it did work.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So in other words, if you ARE lucky enough to get two, congrats on your "free" Ampere card, as I'm sure the Saudi Princes and billionaire kids of the world will happily pay +200% to have the new hotness.

Hm. Tempting.

Asking for a friend:
How do you avoid getting scammed by shady fuckers one can only assume will be out in full force for a launch like this?

Edit: To elaborate - I mean the selling side.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 3, 2020

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

mcbexx posted:

Hm. Tempting.

Asking for a friend:
How do you avoid getting scammed by shady fuckers one can only assume will be out in full force for a launch like this?

Only buy from reputable retailers with return policies and avoid anything to do with eBay/craigslist/offerup/whatever local local ad sites????

Edit: And in the case of sites that support 3rd party sellers like Amazon and Walmart, only buy direct from Amazon and Walmart.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 3, 2020

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

buy 100K of Nvidia shares to get the privilege of buying an Ampere card at launch

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cinara posted:

That may have been true in past years/releases, but EVGA seems to be giving themselves an out on their products page:

When will Step-Up be available for the new series?
New series are generally added to the Step-Up list upon availability. Unforeseen factors may push this out further. Watch evga.com for more details.

Can I Step-Up to something not on the Step-Up list?
Due to limited quantities, only select cards are available via Step-Up. Cards not on the list will not be available to Step-Up to.

I'm outside 90 days from my purchase date, can you make an exception?
Unfortunately there are no exceptions outside the 90 day window.

The operative language there seems to be "upon availability" and "unforeseen factors."

mcbexx posted:

Asking for a friend:

Ask whomever you buy from to take a picture of the *sealed box* (they're all sealed) with a piece of paper with your eBay username and the date of the transaction in the picture. Also have them take a picture of the label on the box with the card's serial number. Also remember to read the item description to a tee so you don't get hosed over in buying a "New Box" instead of "New in Box" item. I suspect a lot of people are going to get mailed literal bricks, too.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 3, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I suspect a lot of people are going to get mailed literal bricks, too.

bricks seem expensive to ship, and useful to have around. theyll just throw old rx 580s in there.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The operative language there seems to be "upon availability" and "unforeseen factors."

That's the way it has always been, upon availability does not mean in stock. It may not be added to the step up page the day of the Nvidia release, so if you're cutting it too close you might be out of luck. But it won't have anything to do with the actual EVGA stock of cards, just when they decide to add them.

It was exactly the same with the 1080->1080ti, there was a huge shortage on launch and I sat in the queue for several months waiting for my turn to come up.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
By the time that we get Ampere cards in decent supply we'll be staring down the barrel of another nVidia press release where we hold out again

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

https://twitter.com/LumpyTheCook/status/1301313036683284480?s=19

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

And we call it.... PC 2.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

the horseshoe theory of PC gaming: go far enough down the GPU road and you end up with a PC with no daughter boards again.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol if you're not already running games entirely on your gpu

https://www.shadertoy.com/view/lldGDr

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

maybe some sort of "system on a chip" with big graphics power that we could then attach to some storage and put in a branded box, perhaps said box could attach to a television to allow gaming for the casual crowd

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah but it's a real question what form this box would take. Could there be different more powerful/less powerful boxes from different makers? Why would I buy a less powerful box Y when I could get the x box with more power instead.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Control Volume posted:

They'll probably still be more expensive than 3070s used, I'd wait for benchmarks before making that decision.

There are a lot of advantages to getting a new card (warranty, better driver optimizations, reduced power consumption, etc.) compared to the extra memory on the 2080 Ti. Maybe the memory will make a difference, but reviews should make that clear.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

shrike82 posted:

buy 100K of Nvidia shares to get the privilege of buying an Ampere card at launch

good news you will probably get it for free with the dividends and cap gains by the time it comes out

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

shrike82 posted:

I don't have 57 million dollars.

edit: Oh 100k worth of shares? Ahh well that's much more reasonable. Although I think I'd get better return if I just bought 100k worth of graphic cards.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 3, 2020

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
100k OF bro english is a language

Anyways i am on my daily beach walk and i just made a disturbing correlation:

Tensor t flops
Tt flops
Tittyflops?

The new tensor power indicator is tittyflops. Nvidia everybody.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

If there is going to be no stock I guess I could have waited to take out my hard drive cage. 440mm will fit any card at least.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I went nvme just to do away with clunky storage

Less power consumption and better airflow too

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Control Volume posted:

You can pick up a 2080ti on hardwareswap or ebay right now for around $650, maybe lower if you surveil the page for a deal.

If you want sub $500, or even $400, so price reflects the new standard for performance, you'll probably need to wait until the reviews come out and the panic sell bloodbath begins (presuming the 3070 is actually faster in non-RTX workloads). I'm looking to snag a used 2080ti or even 2080 super around the same time, but they'll go quick, and then price will probably stabilize around the same price as the 3070. That's what the 980ti did anyway.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Somehow I have a feeling this will change with the inevitable Ti SKUs, but WELP to anyone who was hoping for NVLink'ed 3080s: https://www.techpowerup.com/271710/nvidia-reserves-nvlink-support-for-the-rtx-3090

Also, no explicit mention of memory pooling.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
That's not really news, It's been on all the spec sheets so far that the 3090 was the only one with NVlink. MSI also directly called it out in their thing yesterday.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

We're laughing now, but just wait until Jensen buys ARM and their CPUs get integrated into nvidia's GPUs somehow.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

going to buy a dang 3080,

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Looks like the 3000 series might clock really well, This is taking from the video below at 3:04 showing a core clock of 1980mhz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cXg7GQogAE

Scarecow fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Sep 3, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

These Nvidia giveaways are terrible because they ask you to follow their social media channels and retweet stuff to your friends. I don't PC game because I enjoy socializing or have friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Scarecow posted:

Looks like the 3000 series might clock really well, This is taking from the video below at 3:04 showing a core clock of 1980mhz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cXg7GQogAE

Yeah but conversely -

:stare: