Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Oh yeah sure you can be my doctor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So, if you go digging in the tenets for religion reform, there is one called "Natural Primitivism". The stat effect of it isn't that interesting, just a bit less stress generated, but it also makes everyone following that religion go nude.

Is there any religion in the base game that actually has this, or is it just another joke from Paradox?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Schnitzler posted:

Not sure if I was the only one confused by this, so I am posting it:
If your main duchy has their own title succession laws, even if they are identical to the ones of your kingdom, the counties within the duchy are split between your heirs.

You can remove these seperate laws for no cost.

Which means you main duchy titles get passed on to your primary heir and are no longer broken up.

I do think this is mentioned in the tutorial, but I did not really understand it until I noticed that my fully owned duchy would be split on succession, as shown in the screenshots above.

Can you do this with the special decision enabled succession laws for your top title, like Tanistry or Scandinavian Elective? When I took those decisions, they only changed my kingdom title, and not any of the lesser ones. I had no idea that button was there, so if I could get rid of gavelkind for the duchies/counties and just have the top level tanistry apply to everything that would be ideal.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
My Marshal has 22 Martial and 44 Prowess, in one battle he killed 164 people, including 4 enemy champions, single handedly. The absolute Berseker Jarl.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

So, if you go digging in the tenets for religion reform, there is one called "Natural Primitivism". The stat effect of it isn't that interesting, just a bit less stress generated, but it also makes everyone following that religion go nude.

Is there any religion in the base game that actually has this, or is it just another joke from Paradox?

Adamitism

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Catalina posted:

I haven’t checked closely in CKIII to see if it matches, but in CK2, you could join wars but not do anything and get 0% participation bonus, and you wouldn’t get a hit to relationship. The only drawbacks were that enemy troops could still siege your counties (very low likelihood), enemy troops were hostile, and you couldn’t do peacetime events until the war was over.

This has changed. You can get away with joining from your armchair once or twice, but after that your ally says "motherfucker, are you going to get off your rear end or what?" You then have a choice of three options - rack up 100 contribution points within a year or lose prestige, give him a sum of money to help with the war, or break the alliance.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I like that seemingly even if you start as the same character more than once, their traits and talent trees will be seemingly randomized (or at least I assume considering I tried the same start twice and the same ruler had different traits and perks).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Big pro tip: Alliances will make or break you. I went from being hideously mauled by Scotland and -68% warscore to smashing their armies utterly and now sieging them down to nothing, all because I took some secondary wives and sent out some random kids of cousins and whatnot to make alliances. Immediately called them, and they take some time to arrive, but now that they have I've been rolling a 10k doomstack around pushing Alba's poo poo in with contempt.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Mine has it now!

This is an ironman game, so I was biting my nails waiting for that last bit of piety to come through (it took 5075 to get all those changes, and that's after the -50% from Learning > Theologian > Prophet). My entire council converted... except my marshal, who's making this all funnier by :nws: holding his sword and glaring at the others. :nws:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Is Scandinavian Elective basically like partition but with a vote? Do all my titles go to my nominated heir?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

where does the AI get troops from? it was a thing in CK2 as well.
I'm slowly occupying this tiny guys territory but he keeps sending armies at me that can kill mine cause they eventually get low from attrition

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Sindai posted:

It's weird that you lost it in the first place since it's supposed to go to the primary heir, which is also who you should be playing after succession. That might be a bug?

No I think Dynasty head goes to the most powerful ruler. I lost it after I made a dynasty member my crusade beneficiary and they became King of Jerusalem.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I found out that abducting the opposing ruler in a war through a scheme gives you 100% war score

I am going to abuse the hell out of this

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Communist Thoughts posted:

I'm slowly occupying this tiny guys territory but he keeps sending armies at me that can kill mine cause they eventually get low from attrition

There are quite a few sources of troops, including:

Domain levies, the regular peasant dipshits that come from holdings. These replenish over time but can be greatly accelerated by a good Marshal set to the appropriate task in the Court screen.
Men-at-arms, professional troops who fight better and are bought/maintained with prestige, not gold, so smaller realms can often still field a number of them. They replenish pretty fast.
Mercenaries, if they have the gold.
Any allies they might have, who themselves have access to all their own sources of troops.
Some characters get special event troops, I have no idea of an exhaustive list and they tend to get worn down to nothing over the years because they typically don't reinforce, but for example Jorvik starts with something like 5000 special troops which is an incredible benefit to Halfdan for a long while. I don't know if there are events like the ones in CK2 where you can randomly get extra troops of this type, but it's possible.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Do you just stay sick forever?
Also how does raiding for non vikings?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Ms Adequate posted:

BIG HAIRY SCOTTISH

BASTARRRRRDDDSSSSSSSS

I swear to Irish Christ I'm going to have this entire lineage killed and I don't care that it's in the same dynastic tree as me

It has taken me 3 rulers come and gone to be powerful enough to kick that big yellow tumor off my island

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

It also seems that whole of body is a...good first path to down?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If you're losing a lot of army size to attrition, you may need to slow down a bit and make sure to periodically resupply in friendly territory. If your army is like 4-5k or bigger, then most of the world will be under supply limit during the early game, so it's better to split your army up.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Is there a good plan or smart order for taking England/Scotland/Wales from Ireland, or is it just "when you see something that looks like an opening, pounce and hope?"

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

disaster pastor posted:

Is there a good plan or smart order for taking England/Scotland/Wales from Ireland, or is it just "when you see something that looks like an opening, pounce and hope?"

It's pretty much this, but it can also be useful to get an alliance with one king to take on the other. Scotland + Ireland is strong enough to take on England, or ally with England and eat Scotland first.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ms Adequate posted:

Men-at-arms, professional troops who fight better and are bought/maintained with prestige, not gold, so smaller realms can often still field a number of them. They replenish pretty fast.

Wait what? Prestiege?! gently caress I though I was buying them with gold. My rulers are routinely dying with 2000+ prestiege :saddowns:

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Willfrey posted:

Wait what? Prestiege?! gently caress I though I was buying them with gold. My rulers are routinely dying with 2000+ prestiege :saddowns:

Tribals buy them with prestige, feudal buys them with gold.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

dont particularly like the tribal challenger thing. i just randomly got a family member going "i want to be emperor" with a 0% chance of me resisting that and no other option.
and now i can't make a faction to take the empire back...?

Yeah is this a bug? I always have a 0% chance of winning.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I sure wish the game would tell me I could assign my child an education!

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Frida Call Me posted:

Ok so I am not crazy

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's pretty much this, but it can also be useful to get an alliance with one king to take on the other. Scotland + Ireland is strong enough to take on England, or ally with England and eat Scotland first.

OK, cool. I had a couple short-lived leaders followed by a leader inept at martial (but great at piety!) so I've had Ireland for ages but have not expanded.

Of course, now I'm unsure how to ally with them when I'm a whole new faith, Scotland's king is my old faith and England's queen is a Lollard.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Swedish Horror posted:

I sure wish the game would tell me I could assign my child an education!

It becomes a tab alert when they turn 8 or so, which maaaay be the earliest they start benefiting.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Frida Call Me posted:

Oh huh I did not know that, thanks for telling me, otherwise I'd bankrupt myself the moment I feudalize lol

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Flooding Europe with my bastards doesn't seem to be as useful as just having a million kids and marrying them all off

But it's really funny

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Is there a trick to being able to hover over the text in boxes when you hover over a choice? It seems like it works 10% of the time, otherwise it disappears when I try to mouse over. I have no clue what it is going on in this game, so not being able to hover over stuff is real frustrating.

[Edit: Wow, it literally just popped up a tooltip that explains this. Seems kind of silly to not make it the default, but that thing read my mind. Please disregard!]

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Is there a trick to being able to hover over the text in boxes when you hover over a choice? It seems like it works 10% of the time, otherwise it disappears when I try to mouse over. I have no clue what it is going on in this game, so not being able to hover over stuff is real frustrating.

Hover over the text for a few seconds until the window gets a border, then you can mouseover and interact.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Started a real game, using the "pre-selected" African Thunderdome start as Daura in 867. Took the decision to disown my son and institute female-preference inheritance that I guess is specific to that start, got started on befriending everyone while trying to carve out an existance separate from my husband ... and died age 45 from an illness I got from praying to the spirits, at which point my former husband declared war on his 17-year-old daughter, saying that he "always wanted my lands, and now he's going to take 'em" or something to that effect. Had to surrender half my demesne.

Of course, this could not stand, so after some alliance-mongering by betrothing my baby daughters out to various neighbors I managed to turn the tables, throw dad in the oubliette, take all his stuff and then go on a 30-year eastward conquering spree to become Queen of Hausaland, Kanem, Sao, Darfur and the Sahara and the first Empress of Kanem-Bornu. Daurama I mothered 10 daughters (and 0 sons, for whatever reason), most of them while on campaign leading the army, and I dutifully granted them all duchies as I relieved them from other people.

The Empress died at age 65 of natural causes, surrounded by her 9 surviving daughters and a Soulmate husband 30 years her junior. At the end of her reign she could levy 15 600 men, slightly edging out the Byzantine emperor for greatest military force on the planet. She died a Living Legend, and saw her dynasty grow from 2 people to 90 characters all over sub-Saharan Africa.

Of course, now her 5 kingdoms have been split between said 9 daughters in the partition. Empress Daurama II has a single county to her name, immediately popped 2 factions of unfortunately Ambitious sisters and has a quarter her mother's levy to fight them with if it should come to that. Time for African Thunderdome 2: Sorority Boogaloo.

Oh and it's 2 AM now and I forgot about dinner. Realizing as I type this that I'm kinda hungry.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Yeah the lack of a realworld-time clock in Paradox games can be kind of a problem.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Check the allies of your claims, lads. I wasn't paying attention when I was playing and managed to provoke a war with scotland, turn around, and immediately provoke a war with england. Oops.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Arven posted:

Hover over the text for a few seconds until the window gets a border, then you can mouseover and interact.

Thanks for this. I just changed the setting over to "Mouse Tendency," which seems to make a lot more sense to my brain.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Xerophyte posted:

Time for African Thunderdome

This is awesome

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I super hosed up and allied a bro thinking it would be convenient to have some guy scared of me keep adding his man at arms to my armies. Now I need to make him die and take his poo poo. I can't assassinate him as I am a trusting gay, gallant, and honest to the core about it. (0 intrigue) How the gently caress can I just tell him I dont wanna be his friend anymore? also hes pretty good at intrigue so no thats not an option.

SnoochtotheNooch fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 3, 2020

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I've had this mayor as a vassal for 10 years. He is bad at everything and is angry he isn't on the council.

Why can't anyone who I actually need live that long?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

JosefStalinator posted:

Yeah is this a bug? I always have a 0% chance of winning.

yeah this happened to me so i save scummed and married my kid to her kid to make her go away
then she does it again a couple years later, but chickens out at the last moment but its doesnt seem to limit her attempts and its not a crime like rebellion
so she tries it again another decade later, with 0% chance of me winning again but she chickens out again

i just locked her up for something else and then took all her titles. its happened to me like 5 times on 2 rulers though so its real annoying, just a coinflip whether you lose your realm or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
do we know whether its better to have more effective knights, cheaper men-at-arms or more levies? trying to decide between duchy buildings right now in an effort to get Ireland a swole enough military to actually fight its neighbors