Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Which one of you was flying a jetpack at LAX?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4tQyEV9Hl0

This is why I follow the ATC channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
found him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgACwfl6FBI

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Wow huh, if it was like Borat I'd understand, but that looks like a normal modern woman who watches TV and goes to nail salons, and... knows you don't go for a stroll on the wing for some "fresh air!"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

vessbot posted:

Wow huh, if it was like Borat I'd understand, but that looks like a normal modern woman who watches TV and goes to nail salons, and... knows you don't go for a stroll on the wing for some "fresh air!"

It's happened a fair amount in China as well. People opening up the emergency exit "to get some fresh air*," not realizing the fact that the air inside the plane is probably 100000x better than the air in China and *especially* the air around an airport. Every time I've taken a flight out of Dulles the minute I get out of the airport shuttle you're smacked in the face with Eau du JP5.

* and probably smoke a cigarette, because China.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's happened a fair amount in China as well. People opening up the emergency exit "to get some fresh air*," not realizing the fact that the air inside the plane is probably 100000x better than the air in China and *especially* the air around an airport. Every time I've taken a flight out of Dulles the minute I get out of the airport shuttle you're smacked in the face with Eau du JP5.

* and probably smoke a cigarette, because China.

That, and tossing coins into the engines for good luck.

And I was filing this under "like Borat."

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Xenoborg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4tQyEV9Hl0

This is why I follow the ATC channel.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Aeronautical Insanity: ATC: "[Sigh]"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Aeronautical Insanity: The last time I took a poo poo at FL30, I had to change pants.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

the minute I get out of the airport shuttle you're smacked in the face with Eau du JP5.

I travel so rarely and have all my life that when I smell that, I get all excited since my brain always associates the smell with "ooh, we're going on a trip!"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

vessbot posted:

That, and tossing coins into the engines for good luck.

that happened like one time

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that happened like one time

There have been at least four incidents of passengers throwing coins into or towards plane engines since 2017, with the most recent occurring on March 10 [2019].

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
still less common than people trying to escape the plane in the air / on the ground by a good margin

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

still less common than people trying to escape the plane in the air / on the ground by a good margin

Or tryin to escape their location via wheel-well.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Every time I've taken a flight out of Dulles the minute I get out of the airport shuttle you're smacked in the face with Eau du JP5.

Jet A is the best smell, burnt or unburnt

Yeah yeah something username post combo

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
This report just came out from an accident in May 2019 at YYZ where a Dash-8 hit a fuel truck while taxiing:

https://nationalpost.com/news/hyste...n-investigation

Most of the injuries were from idiots disregarding instruction and being panicky morons. My favourite is the people who opened the wing exits and bailed out while the props were still spinning :stare:

Also highlighted how lap carried babies are basically projectiles (in this case the babies were ok apart from some minor bruising) I did this once and felt nervous the whole loving time, would not recommend.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

Oh no.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

wzm posted:

Oh no.

is this a sparkplug changing party?

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

luminalflux posted:

is this a sparkplug changing party?

Each person would have 4-5 plugs each, that isn't a big enough crowd to change the plugs.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

wzm posted:

Oh no.

FOD walks are the worst

e: and we're off again with the flying car thang!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/29/us/f...0mYcVFuaPxbpv7o

It'd probably be more exciting if we didn't just watch a German dude go to the Bäckerei in his bathtub

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 4, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So today I learned that CalFire S-2T pilots take their HOT LOADS in the back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URYeENlaV_Y

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So is that an industry term or is someone being a fuccboi?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Warbird posted:

Yes

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I had no idea the venerable Stoof was still finding employment as a dihydrogen monoxide chemtrail dispenser, nearly 70 years after it was first developed.

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 5, 2020

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Warbird posted:

I dunno, but looks like someone's earned their red wings

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I had no idea the venerable Stoof was still finding employment as a fire bomber, nearly 70 years after it was first developed.

Joe Satrapa closed out his flying career flying S-2Ts for Cal-Fire.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I had no idea the venerable Stoof was still finding employment as a fire bomber, nearly 70 years after it was first developed.

Water bomber! Fire bombing is an entirely different thing that is highly ineffective at combating wildfires.

This is one of my pet peeves, right up there with use of the term "pet peeve"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Sagebrush posted:

Water bomber! Fire bombing is an entirely different thing that is highly ineffective at combating wildfires.

I've heard firebombing can be massively effective at reducing a city's ultimate flammability, especially if employed against a city largely made from wood and rice paper.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I've heard firebombing can be massively effective at reducing a city's ultimate flammability, especially if employed against a city largely made from wood and rice paper.

Dresden caught it pretty bad too.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Sagebrush posted:

Valid point, I've corrected my post.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm9ETs1j6AA

Did we all get this one already

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

do they teach target fixation in flight school?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Well they didn't teach the relationship of airspeed to lift or that you can't use the yoke as a steering wheel on the ground, so there was room in the curriculum for it.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
They definitely teach how pulling back on the yoke as hard as you can will always solve any problem you encounter.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

What in the world :stonk:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

e.pilot posted:

What in the world :stonk:

It's like a Jerry video in that the more you look, the more horrifying details you uncover.

Same school had a forced approach onto a highway in the same week, so they're having what could be terms a "bad week."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

They definitely teach how pulling back on the yoke as hard as you can will always solve any problem you encounter.

looks like he understood the "go full throttle" part of the go-around procedure, but not the "and point it down the runway" part

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PT6A posted:

It's like a Jerry video in that the more you look, the more horrifying details you uncover.

Same school had a forced approach onto a highway in the same week, so they're having what could be terms a "bad week."

Some people just can't handle three dimensions.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I just noticed that at the end he turns the yoke well past 90 degrees to the right. Is that common? In the (few) planes I've flown they all stop when they're vertical.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
No he’s trying to steer with the yoke, to predictable results

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well yes, I know, but I've never seen a yoke that turns more than 90 degrees each way. They hit a stop and that's the end of the travel. But right at the end he's got the thing nearly flipped over. Do some C172s have yokes that can turn past vertical, or is he just yanking it so hard that he broke the cables?