Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So I've gone back to playing my 3DS for a bit.

Hot drat I had forgotten how good the three Castlevania games are and I intend to marathon them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Inzombiac posted:

Hot drat I had forgotten how good the three Castlevania games are and I intend to marathon them all.

Which 3? Original 3? GBA 3? DS 3?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

This is a good idea, think I’ll do the same.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I would kill for a CotM patch that defaults movement speed to running instead of making you double tap the walk button

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I also went back to my 3DS and other than RPGs have been poking around in art academy. Kind of sucks that the switch can't really support stylus based games because this is cool

I miss that second touch screen tbh although I can't deny that the switch form factor is pretty much perfect other than crappy faulty joysticks

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm so fuckin sick of rumors and poo poo, to the point I actually unsubscribed from GameXplain.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Hm. Well alright then.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I'm so fuckin sick of rumors and poo poo, to the point I actually unsubscribed from GameXplain.

You want to see a poo poo channel that's nothing but rumour-bait, you need to see EverythingApplePro. Makes game channels look positively responsible by comparison.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Mister Facetious posted:

You want to see a poo poo channel that's nothing but rumour-bait, you need to see EverythingApplePro. Makes game channels look positively responsible by comparison.

Nin10Doh or whatever is pretty disgusting as well, making a salty bitch whine video about rumormonging last week and following it with TWO rumor videos.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Gamexplain usually restrains themselves unless a rumour is gaining steam with corroboration by multiple reputable outlets HOWEVER I do think they’re getting worse recently and posting more rumour videos

But overall gamexplain is a great quality channel with good people and good discussions imo

Anyway I redeemed my game voucher for Paper Mario :3 I gotta get some new joycons today though, my left one from launch day 2017 is finally drifting

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
A lot of these “news outlets” aren’t THAT bad in normal times, but this Nintendo Direct black hole has turned everyone coo coo.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I just beat paper mario like ten minutes ago and I too would highly recommend it as long as you like charming and funny things

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

SeANMcBAY posted:

Which 3? Original 3? GBA 3? DS 3?

I said DS, biiiiiiiiiiiiich

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

Gamexplain usually restrains themselves unless a rumour is gaining steam with corroboration by multiple reputable outlets HOWEVER I do think they’re getting worse recently and posting more rumour videos

But overall gamexplain is a great quality channel with good people and good discussions imo

Anyway I redeemed my game voucher for Paper Mario :3 I gotta get some new joycons today though, my left one from launch day 2017 is finally drifting

It’s difficult to blame them, there is a serious game drought going on at the moment. If they need to make rumor based content to stay afloat financially, then more power to them. You gotta do what you gotta do during the pandemic. People can just not watch if it really bothers them that much :shrug:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Inzombiac posted:

I said DS, biiiiiiiiiiiiich

They’re all good trilogies. Release the rest Konami.:argh:

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

romanowski posted:

I just beat paper mario like ten minutes ago and I too would highly recommend it as long as you like charming and funny things

I'm really interested in Paper Mario. Did you feel like there was enough content?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
New PV for SMTIII HD Remaster. Mostly showcasing more voice acting including Dante.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edvE_ohsH6k

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DorianGravy posted:

I'm really interested in Paper Mario. Did you feel like there was enough content?

It's not like 100 hours or anything but it's enough to last you for a good bit especially if you get into the collecting.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Got my new joycons, Paper Mario downloaded, just got a few hours of work left then I can jump in 😻

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Inzombiac posted:

I'm gonna do the same and also the GBA games on my 2DS. I bought circle of the moon when it came out but well it was impossible to see!!

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

RandomFerret posted:

I don't know what most of those other things are. I did get a crown once by destroying the stargate thing but the next time I did it nothing happened

Crown Portals are powered up with XP from anything that dies near them. You can see how charged it is by the green lights on the sides, so long as you can shoot around it without breaking it early. Shortcuts are opened up in different ways, like finishing a level within a certain time limit, using explosives in the sewers, or by bringing the screwdriver along to a further level. I still don't fully grasp the meta, but this can provide some helpful info. I've only ever looped once or twice.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Interesting. According to the meta, my favourite characters, weapons and mutations are all F tier.

I can only conclude that the meta is stupid and I should ignore it

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I've pretty much muted GameXplain/Spawn Wave Media because it's just nonstop bullshit, and it will literally never stop until a Direct drops

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

GameXplain used to be pretty good about rumors and not post them unless they came from good sources but they’re obviously dry for content this year.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

8-bit Miniboss posted:

New PV for SMTIII HD Remaster. Mostly showcasing more voice acting including Dante.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edvE_ohsH6k

I love how they specifically use a clip from the fight against Mot with him throwing Megidolaon, and having two press-turns ready. gently caress you too, Atlus :allears:.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SeANMcBAY posted:

GameXplain used to be pretty good about rumors and not post them unless they came from good sources but they’re obviously dry for content this year.

This happens a lot and the sad thing is that once they get into the bullshitting there's usually no turning back.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

DorianGravy posted:

I got ~25 hours out of it without going out of my way to find all the collectibles and I feel satisfied with it. it's pretty straightforward and there isn't much in the way of side content but there's a nice variety to the mechanics of each major area which keeps it engaging throughout even though the regular battles can get repetitive. and it's absolutely filled to the brim with charm which is all the content you need

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Who is worse, Arlo or Gamexplain?

I'm going with Arlo because he has a good gimmick to start with and is complete garbage after that.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
GX because somehow every single one of them has the most garishly awful voice which doesn't exactly translate well to someone talking over stock footage for 22 minutes.

Same reason I can only watch DF videos if they're done by the two original guys.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Wait what’s wrong with Arlo? He’s a delight

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Waltzing Along posted:

Who is worse, Arlo or Gamexplain?

I'm going with Arlo because he has a good gimmick to start with and is complete garbage after that.

Wii U era: GameXplain because Arlo made some great posts and was able to do the "im annoyed and a nerd about paper mario" without turning into a screeching shithead. And his comments on the "just play mario and luigi, god" comments on the developers were good too.

GameXPlain was infamous for just reposting trailers, uploading random cutscenes and generally most of what they did was content spam. Also, this feels weird to say, but I feel like Andre's marble mouth was worse. He's a good guy but it really feels like he had some speech therapy done.

Switch Era arlo doesn't really seem to have much to day and nothing he does is "breath of fresh air" feeling while GX became a, uh, generally likeable person.

They're both aggressively better than The Bit Block person for reasons that I hope are self evident and don't cause a derail.

On TOP of that, MechagameZilla is the only good youtuber, here's some highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1r17N6d4g4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOVXUmX0CJI

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I once heard someone describe the one GX guy as "a dude with three fuzzy golf balls in his mouth" and I think it's pretty apt

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I love how they specifically use a clip from the fight against Mot with him throwing Megidolaon, and having two press-turns ready. gently caress you too, Atlus :allears:.

the marketing should just be the switch screen as the player dies over and over to mot. reflected in the screen you can make out their face aging rapidly until it collapses in a pile of ash and bone.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I do NOT understand the falcon drift mechanic in f-zero rammers

is it possible i'm using the included peripheral wrong? I thought I'm doing the tight cheek hip jiggle waggle correctly but it only registers about half the time

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I watched the 2008 Speed Racer movie recently and I know that a PS2 game came out of it at the time that wasn't well received. Can we toss money at a good indie developer to ape the style of that movie and deliver us a new F-Zero like? The cars there can jump and spin constantly trying to wreck each other.

Actually looking at it I was really reminded of Rocket League style physics/movement except on an insane racetrack.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Inzombiac posted:

I've been playing the english fan translation of AA Investigations 2 on my 3DS recently, and as much as I'm enjoying it, holy poo poo I do not remember cases in previous games being this convoluted. I might have to go back after this and replay some of the Phoenix Wright games, I honestly feel like I don't remember many details.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I quite literally don't know anything about Shin Megami Tensei at all, but I just realized that it and Tokyo Mirage Sessions have opposite anagrams (SMT vs TMS). I even had to google to see if those two titles were related. :stare:

Are they relationship RPGs?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SeANMcBAY posted:

That's another word thing, they weren't this bad during the WiiU era, the dryest possible time

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I quite literally don't know anything about Shin Megami Tensei at all, but I just realized that it and Tokyo Mirage Sessions have opposite anagrams (SMT vs TMS). I even had to google to see if those two titles were related. :stare:

Are they relationship RPGs?

Not in the slightest, SMT games are basically gothic pokemon games known for their difficulty.

Typically plots involve the apocalypse, a trinary morality system, and fast paced turn-based combat that's known for being pretty punishing. If you're losing or winning a battle in SMT, it's pretty fuckin' quick from what I've experienced. Persona is a spinoff that's much easier but still is pretty hard compared to the average final fantasy game, but it still plays like one, with longer battles and stuff abut building up freindships with ya pals and girlfriends which helps in various ways.

The mainline SMT games and spinoffs like Strange Journey are much more difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty sure TMS is the game billed as a Fire Emblem/Persona crossover (which iirc is way weirder in practice) and that technically makes it a SMT spinoff, so the reversed acronym might be intentional.