Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Xerophyte posted:

Started a real game, using the "pre-selected" African Thunderdome start as Daura in 867. Took the decision to disown my son and institute female-preference inheritance that I guess is specific to that start, got started on befriending everyone while trying to carve out an existance separate from my husband ... and died age 45 from an illness I got from praying to the spirits, at which point my former husband declared war on his 17-year-old daughter, saying that he "always wanted my lands, and now he's going to take 'em" or something to that effect. Had to surrender half my demesne.

Of course, this could not stand, so after some alliance-mongering by betrothing my baby daughters out to various neighbors I managed to turn the tables, throw dad in the oubliette, take all his stuff and then go on a 30-year eastward conquering spree to become Queen of Hausaland, Kanem, Sao, Darfur and the Sahara and the first Empress of Kanem-Bornu. Daurama I mothered 10 daughters (and 0 sons, for whatever reason), most of them while on campaign leading the army, and I dutifully granted them all duchies as I relieved them from other people.

The Empress died at age 65 of natural causes, surrounded by her 9 surviving daughters and a Soulmate husband 30 years her junior. At the end of her reign she could levy 15 600 men, slightly edging out the Byzantine emperor for greatest military force on the planet. She died a Living Legend, and saw her dynasty grow from 2 people to 90 characters all over sub-Saharan Africa.

Of course, now her 5 kingdoms have been split between said 9 daughters in the partition. Empress Daurama II has a single county to her name, immediately popped 2 factions of unfortunately Ambitious sisters and has a quarter her mother's levy to fight them with if it should come to that. Time for African Thunderdome 2: Sorority Boogaloo.

Oh and it's 2 AM now and I forgot about dinner. Realizing as I type this that I'm kinda hungry.

yeah i'm doing that start too, managed to romance and vassalise the starting husband though and made hausaland into a custom empire that spans almost all of africa below the coast

where i've left it for tonight is with the empire splitting into 3 full empires with three empresses so i too am about to indulge in the sorority thunderdome

meanwhile sweden seems to be taking over the rest of the known world and everyone is vikings and i've started marrying them as a novelty

e: oh btw for anyone who didn't know, you can change you and your spouses clothes and hairstyles its an option called barbershop when you right click on yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

do we know whether its better to have more effective knights, cheaper men-at-arms or more levies? trying to decide between duchy buildings right now in an effort to get Ireland a swole enough military to actually fight its neighbors

Well, knights vary greatly based on their prowess. If you mouse over their prowess in the knight/champion menu, you can see that it helpfully says that knights do 100 damage, 10 toughness per point of prowess they have. (as a base, I guess.)
Elsewhere it mentions that the basic levy forces are 10 toughness, 10 damage per unit.

So a knight with 10 prowess (decent, but not exactly legendary.) will have 1000 damage, 100 toughness.
Or in other words, be as strong as 100 levy forces, and as tough as 10. And that's not getting into how easy it is to slop knights at 200% effectiveness, if you dig into chivalry a bit.

Outside of that, just looks at the numbers, it's purely a numbers-game, outside of how man-at-arm types can counter eachother. (Archers counter foot soldiers, horses counter archers, pikemen counter horses, etc.)
Sure, a bunch of archers costs ~75g, but you'll get like 2000 damage out of them, and they'll counter the basic foot soldiers, which are the most common unit to encounter.

The primary downside to knights I feel is
a: easy to accidentally chop up an heir unless you take care to expressly forbid them from being champions.
b: if you have a large pool of knights you might start churning through them faster than you can replenish them, the 'invite knights' only gives you like 3 knights every 5 or 10 years, too.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I'm thinking of starting in a county that has a bunch of open holding slots and constructing and upgrading castles there as my long term plan to have a strong levies and economic base. I think owning those castles would go against my demesne limit? Does this sound like a good idea? Or would I be better off just concentrating on focusing on a main duchy and its respective counties for my personal demesne?

I'd also like suggestions on reasonable counties with multiple holdings available if anyone's got them.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I guess Ireland isn't quite the safe area it was in CK2. I decided to play on a little bit after the tutorial and 12 years later the king of Sweden decided to throw a conquest CB at me for some reason and he also happened to be allied with France so uh rip haha

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I’m not sure why people think that Ireland would be calm at the Great Heathen Army start date.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

CommunityEdition posted:

I’m not sure why people think that Ireland would be calm at the Great Heathen Army start date.

All i'm hearing is "Ireland noob island" and "Ireland is so easy". And then it's all just rapist and murderers and I'm sure some are good people.

Speaking of Great Heathen Army Thunderdome Ireland, what's the best way to deal with Confederate Partition?

Should I just just give my primary heir every title?

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Holy gently caress Navara hooked an alliance with the HRE.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Your options are:

- Make sure everything's consolidated under one primary title so that you retain indirect control over it all anyway
- Always Be Conquering so that you have excess stuff to give out to junior children
- Make sure your primary county is by far the most developed so you can just fight your siblings after succession
- Have only one heir

Usually some combination of all of it.

If you're in a male-dominated religion, you can have one son and one daughter, disinherit everyone else, and still have a "spare" in case your preferred heir runs into some battlefield misfortune.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Trying to throw Scotland into absolute chaos by having my 21 spymaster constantly searching for secrets, and simply revealing every single thing I find. I'm hoping that everyone having scandals and negative opinions of each other and stuff as a result will cause some real ructions.

Ireland is called Tutorial Ireland because in the early CK2 days especially, it was a great place to begin to learn the game; the 1066 start here may be likewise, but the Great Heathen Army era is another matter because there will be a billion Vikings coming to try and take your poo poo, the English powers will as well, to say nothing of Scotland when they get themselves largely unified. In 1066 there are fewer powers around to interfere, the Vikings are mostly Christianized and much less aggressive, England has a good chance to be very weakened by the war or by falling apart after someone wins, the Scots are still bastards.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Broken Cog posted:

So, if you go digging in the tenets for religion reform, there is one called "Natural Primitivism". The stat effect of it isn't that interesting, just a bit less stress generated, but it also makes everyone following that religion go nude.

Is there any religion in the base game that actually has this, or is it just another joke from Paradox?

A bit late but: In addition to the mentioned Adamitism Christianity, which I haven't seen pop up yet, Natural Primitivism is a tenet of Yapanyia, one of the three Jain faiths. The first thing I did was run an observer game, in which a Yapanyia kingdom (named "Ya") ended up conquering the lower half of India, somehow, and filling it with naked and strangely conquest-happy pacifists.

The major Jain branch, Digambara, does not have Natural Primitivism but does have Naked Priests as a feature if you just want naked religious people.

The wiki's Faith section lists all the very many variants that are in the game and their tenets, if you want to know if Messalianism is right for you. In general I really like what they did to religion in CK3, it's perfectly straddling the line between historical and completely off the rails in the finest PDS tradition.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

AnEdgelord posted:

do we know whether its better to have more effective knights, cheaper men-at-arms or more levies? trying to decide between duchy buildings right now in an effort to get Ireland a swole enough military to actually fight its neighbors

Kinda depends, I had the gallant tree filled out and a family renown perk of improved knights so I ended up with a retinue of 10+ knights who would routinely kill 40+ enemies each

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Alfonso really wants the world to to know that he's banging his own sister. He's exposed their children's parentage twice already.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
It really behooves you to have alliances. Especially if you have big neighbors. Keep an eye their kids and arrange betrothals and marriages to keep yourself safe.

loving saved my bacon when Scots + Norway tried to get frisky with me and England managed to squash them both

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
Looks like any titles created as tribal will default to confederate partition, even if your kingdom succession type is tanistry. This is wonky.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Ragingsheep posted:

Alfonso really wants the world to to know that he's banging his own sister. He's exposed their children's parentage twice already.

This fuckin owns

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Frida Call Me posted:

Looks like any titles created as tribal will default to confederate partition, even if your kingdom succession type is tanistry. This is wonky.

I thought Tanistry was only to decide who becomes the next ruler

Partitioning determines how the former ruler's holdings are split among his family?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Started a second quick throwaway game to play with creating a religion..6 hours later remembered that I needed to eat/sleep.

Wishlist so far: Message settings need to be tweaked, a lot of stuff is just in the wrong category. Education. prisoners etc. Why is the opinion bonus from releasing a prisoner top and center instead of one of the side things (except it's actually both?)

A lot of popups don't show up over any existing interface you have up. This is mainly a pain in war.

Prisoner interface still sucks and isn't really that interesting a mechanic to begin with? I'd almost rather it be removed from the players control and just be trait/event driven. I don't want to deal with all these random no names. Just make it so you only capture counts+ or characters with some personal significance.

I'd like a more detailed popup screen when you switch characters that goes over their traits, spouse, children, any accomplishments, what titles you gained/lost in the inheritance etc.

The suggestion ticker is great, but you need a way to move it or sticky it to be permanently open so you stop missing stuff or having to click it constantly.

The x more for interactions is annoying and could be adjusted to shove only interactions you currently can't do in there.

I'd like some kind of log, some of the messages just go by too fast/when you are too busy to look.

I do think you could stand to either make lifestyle perks accumulate a bit faster or make them a bit more powerful.

The Devotion/Fame stuff could stand to be more dramatic.

I do miss having more overarching realm laws and the conclave council stuff. I want to be able to let my vassals thunderdome even at max authority.

I thought there was already supposed to be an attrition thing to prevent the AI from skipping over everything to siege your capital but if there is it needs to be tweaked.

Ledger? More map modes. And also an easier way to deal with buildings (which seem kind of boring with mostly being limited to either straight gold or levies).

Since knights are auto assigned, it'd be nice to have warnings when most of your knights are 0 prowess or your heir/all your backups are all knights.

Which sounds like a lot but it's a lot less than I'd have for CK2. It's a smashing game, 10/10, fantastic.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Willfrey posted:

I thought Tanistry was only to decide who becomes the next ruler

Partitioning determines how the former ruler's holdings are split among his family?

You can also change the inheritance type to tanistry (for 1500 prestige) on your duchy titles, if you are a king.

Frida Call Me fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 3, 2020

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I wish enemy armies were less flighty. It’s almost impossible to chase one down to cut them off, and that’s with me having calvary men-at-arms.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Zeron posted:

Prisoner interface still sucks and isn't really that interesting a mechanic to begin with? I'd almost rather it be removed from the players control and just be trait/event driven. I don't want to deal with all these random no names. Just make it so you only capture counts+ or characters with some personal significance.

Spoken like someone who doesn't know the benefits you can gain from torturing as many prisoners as your sadistic little heart desires.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

trapped mouse posted:

Spoken like someone who doesn't know the benefits you can gain from torturing as many prisoners as your sadistic little heart desires.

You could have a bank of generic prisoners to torture in addition to important actual prisoners, nothing stopping that from being a thing. If it's not an interesting character that you specifically want to torture, who cares just randomly generate someone to torture.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I find the stewardship skill tree really strong. The 10% tax and 25% tax collecting bonus is a big boost right away and it also has opinion bonuses for your vassals and a way to turn hooks into cash which is super strong for gold strapped places.

I pretty much pick it on every character so far

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Majesty focus is the only way to go for tribal. +1.0 flat prestige/month and you can turn dread, knights and powerful vassals into more prestige.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Communist Thoughts posted:

I find the stewardship skill tree really strong. The 10% tax and 25% tax collecting bonus is a big boost right away and it also has opinion bonuses for your vassals and a way to turn hooks into cash which is super strong for gold strapped places.

Stewardship for life.

Golden Obligations is broken AF and I make a point to beeline for it on any character

it turns your spymaster into a souped up tax collector lmao

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
What are you supposed do as a vassal with one province? You barely make any money and doing schemes and everything costs a lot.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Get another province. Hit up the pope for cash if you need funding for a war, or take the stewardship skill people are talking about and have your spymaster go digging for money.

Alternatively, if you are finding that playing as a one-province count that isn't even independent is a little boring ... have you considered picking someone in a more interesting position at the start of the game?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

as a minor vassal I usually focus on getting hooks on my lord and improving my feudal contract first. Makes growing much easier.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Been having a fun game starting as the Tulunid kid in Alexandria in the 867 start. I've managed to make my own variant of Islam that's basically Hellenism, while becoming empress of Arabia and getting most of them to accept my religion. Been a fun run. Though I've run into the issue of my last two characters (both sisters) didn't have any girls. And when I finally get a character young enough to conceive, who had girls already...she had been normally married. With female dominance. :psyduck: So now I have two daughters who aren't my dynasty inheriting before my actual heir. And unfortunately she's not sadistic so she can't just plot to kill them or abduct them. I guess I'm going to have to eat the tyranny hit to imprison them? Long storm short, female dominance is just pure enatic, if you want enatic cognatic or agnatic cognatic, you need the equality doctrine or high crown authority. Something to learn for next game.

Does anyone know if you imprison someone's heir and use the release option where they give up their claims, do they stop being an heir?

As well it's bloody hard to get a witch coven going if your dynasty isn't tiny as hell. Even with witchery accepted not all the witches in my dynasty are open about it so every time I die at like 50% it's time to start over from the secret ones...

Also has anyone found a way to go Hellenic beyond the hard pay 100,000 piety option?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the strategist arm of martial makes your army punch above its weight and the trait adding extra deaths to enemy armies and cancelling crossing penalties is really strong

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

god, ive made a ton of attempts to get ireland together on the early start but the murder ball of invaders has taken me out every time.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

queeb posted:

god, ive made a ton of attempts to get ireland together on the early start but the murder ball of invaders has taken me out every time.

Get alliances with the large catholic realms by taking extra wives and pumping out kids. Marry the kids to kids in Wessex, Mercia, East Francia, Brittany, etc. Then just convert all of your prestige into extra muscle during offensive and defensive wars.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Eimi posted:

Also has anyone found a way to go Hellenic beyond the hard pay 100,000 piety option?

It costs that much piety because you have the base cost for selecting various religion traits (which are high because they're different from what you currently have), multiplied by a big multiplier to convert to a dead religion.

You can instead spend several lifetimes making your own religious cults to shift your beliefs to be more aligned with the religion you want to convert to, which will reduce the overall cost to something more achievable in a single lifetime.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This game is awesome and I have no idea what is going on. I've almost unified Ireland I guess?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Gonna hop on and start grooming future heirs. Also going to think of allying with Wales so I can take on Scotland, I don't know if I'll be able to do that in Murchad's lifetime. Hopefully I'll figure out if I can raise attributes.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to invite a specific person to court? I can't seem to figure out how to invite someone, just a call for courtiers in general

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Jabor posted:

Your options are:

- Make sure everything's consolidated under one primary title so that you retain indirect control over it all anyway
- Always Be Conquering so that you have excess stuff to give out to junior children
- Make sure your primary county is by far the most developed so you can just fight your siblings after succession
- Have only one heir

Usually some combination of all of it.

If you're in a male-dominated religion, you can have one son and one daughter, disinherit everyone else, and still have a "spare" in case your preferred heir runs into some battlefield misfortune.

Related, I just "formed" Ireland, or at least I have the title but don't have the bits of Ireland that Sweden and Iceland stole.

I now have access to some rando decision "Adopt Special Succession Type"...but it doesn't seem to say what this special type is? Is it good?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Xerophyte posted:

A bit late but: In addition to the mentioned Adamitism Christianity, which I haven't seen pop up yet, Natural Primitivism is a tenet of Yapanyia, one of the three Jain faiths. The first thing I did was run an observer game, in which a Yapanyia kingdom (named "Ya") ended up conquering the lower half of India, somehow, and filling it with naked and strangely conquest-happy pacifists.

The major Jain branch, Digambara, does not have Natural Primitivism but does have Naked Priests as a feature if you just want naked religious people.

The wiki's Faith section lists all the very many variants that are in the game and their tenets, if you want to know if Messalianism is right for you. In general I really like what they did to religion in CK3, it's perfectly straddling the line between historical and completely off the rails in the finest PDS tradition.

you can also alter the tenets of your faith when you reform it, at the low low cost of making the preposterous piety cost even preposterouser

Communist Thoughts posted:

but then you're not having your steward spending every waking hour for 400 consecutive years increasing development

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 3, 2020

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

eonwe posted:

Is there a way to invite a specific person to court? I can't seem to figure out how to invite someone, just a call for courtiers in general

I don't think it's possible. The only ways I've found are to recruit guests that wander through your court or to use the search for more knights/search for court physician/invite claimants options.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

eonwe posted:

you sure can, they're just extremely likely to refuse :v:

push the C button and be amazed, then right click somebody and they may, depending on criteria I don't fully understand, have an invite-to-court option (it's probably the same criteria as whether or not you can recruit them if imprisoned)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Jabor posted:

It costs that much piety because you have the base cost for selecting various religion traits (which are high because they're different from what you currently have), multiplied by a big multiplier to convert to a dead religion.

You can instead spend several lifetimes making your own religious cults to shift your beliefs to be more aligned with the religion you want to convert to, which will reduce the overall cost to something more achievable in a single lifetime.

I already adopted a heresy to make my faith similar to hellenic tenets and it makes no difference. When I mouse over to convert the big penalties are Hellenic isn't reformed and I am and that Hellenic has no active practitioners.