Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

HIJK posted:

It really is a shame about The Black Tapes, Tanis, etc. I still go back and listen to the first seasons of those shows all the time. I haven't found anything that scratches the itch for a single narrator, strange ephemera, and a scary plot lurking in the background.

There is also the Last Movie if you didn't listen yet. Tanis also has the added bonus of being perfect to doze off to while also interesting enough to not feel like a waste of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
I just binged I Am In Eskew on this thread's recommendation and loved it. Great writing and a genuinely creepy setting.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Which episode of Archive 81 had that prolonged NPR spoof within the episode?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ratatozsk posted:

Which episode of Archive 81 had that prolonged NPR spoof within the episode?

Episode 25 - Sacrifice three bunnies on the stump of an oak tree to stop moderate to severe throat irritation

by coincidence, I just relistened to it about an hour ago

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

New episode of Tanis just dropped. Let the hate listening commence

Spoiler: I'm not hate listening, I still enjoy it.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Magnus is back as of yesterday on patreon.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Azathoth posted:

Diagnosis: stockholm syndrome

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ratatozsk posted:

Diagnosis: stockholm syndrome

You can't say that term, you might make some guy flip out randomly and start a petty slapfight resulting in sixers all around. And then how will you shitpost at work?

Has anyone listened to Down? It's the new series by the people behind The Bunker and Mars Corp. It's okay I guess? I think The Bunker might still be my favorite thing they've done

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Azathoth posted:

You're not alone. It may be baffling utter nonsense that's spinning its wheels, but by god it's my kind of baffling utter nonsense that's spinning its wheels.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Len posted:

You can't say that term, you might make some guy flip out randomly and start a petty slapfight resulting in sixers all around. And then how will you shitpost at work?

Has anyone listened to Down? It's the new series by the people behind The Bunker and Mars Corp. It's okay I guess? I think The Bunker might still be my favorite thing they've done

I’ll need to check it out. They’re some of my favorites.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hughlander posted:

I’ll need to check it out. They’re some of my favorites.

It's a sci-fi series about a mysterious submarine dive down a "bottomless" pit. I'm about halfway through what's out right now and it's still a solid listen if you've liked their other stuff. Definitely a different tone though, it's more serious

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
So what are people's recommendations as of late? King Falls AM got killed off by Covid (They've pulled their patreon from charging people,) Here's what I've finished and enjoyed

3 seasons of The Magnus Archive, the last thing I heard was The season finale where the big ritual got finished and the world is now permanently hosed as far as I can tell.
EOS 10
Wolf 359
Archive 81
The Bright Sessions
Stellar Firma
Edict Zero FIS
Within the Wires
Orbitting Human Circus
Welcome to Nightvale (I'm like 100+ episodes behind.)

I'm cool with stuff that's ongoing and not finished, but prefer finished works that we know have a satisfying or at least not lovely ending. Anything with a bad ending, or ended undfinished is right out, because for some reason it sours the whole series for me.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

From that list, definitely check out I Am In Eskew, it just concluded and it's a great listen from beginning to end.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Boba Pearl posted:

So what are people's recommendations as of late? King Falls AM got killed off by Covid (They've pulled their patreon from charging people,) Here's what I've finished and enjoyed

3 seasons of The Magnus Archive, the last thing I heard was The season finale where the big ritual got finished and the world is now permanently hosed as far as I can tell.
EOS 10
Wolf 359
Archive 81
The Bright Sessions
Stellar Firma
Edict Zero FIS
Within the Wires
Orbitting Human Circus
Welcome to Nightvale (I'm like 100+ episodes behind.)

I'm cool with stuff that's ongoing and not finished, but prefer finished works that we know have a satisfying or at least not lovely ending. Anything with a bad ending, or ended undfinished is right out, because for some reason it sours the whole series for me.

That's probably my list except I bounced off of Stellar Firma for being too samsey and off Edict Zero for just being so slow...

#1 thing you're missing is Girl in Space. S1 was great don't count on an S2.
Light recommendation for Greater Boston it's just interesting enough to keep me listening
The Bridge was good but again don't count on S2
Alexandria Archives was an anthology with a framing story that told an arc, it just concluded a few months ago.
It's About Time - A time-travel comedy, modern audio drama - Super short and I remember it being pleasant but I binged it on a trans-atlantic flight so probably slept through half of it
Our Fair City - Took like 10 years but they told their story.
SPINES - Another one that told a full story, S1 just clicked perfectly for me
strange N unusual - A Goon is involved with this, it's fluff not as great as the above but I finished it.
Uncanny County - Whimsical Horror I'm always happy when a new one shows up.

If/When you're done with that some Actual Play Comedy podcasts that are good and worthwhile like Adventure Zone S1, or All Seasons of Dragon Friends

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Definitely Human did a podcast about reviewing cookies, is that exactly what it says it is on the packaging or is it actually another serialized fiction?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

#1 thing you're missing is Girl in Space. S1 was great don't count on an S2.

I'm fairly confident in season 2 happening eventually. She managed to make that prequel miniseries this year. The podcast is just a side project so it takes time.

I'd add Alice isn't Dead to the list, but I liked the ending while it did apparently anger quite a few goons.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Old Gods of Appalachia is a thread favourite. The White Vault has more of a mixed reception here but I enjoy it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Oh, and Limetown is what made me realize that these things could actually like, be amazing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Arrhythmia posted:

Oh, and Limetown is what made me realize that these things could actually like, be amazing.

Just a warning with Limetown that it's best to maybe only listen to the first season.

(Season 2 isn't bad, but they went into mixed media and the stuff outside of the podcast is rather dire and I'm not sure if they're going to ever resolve things WITHIN the podcast.)

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Old Gods of Appalachia is great too.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Okay, I just saw Boom recommended by the Archive 81 folks and I bounced off it once before, but based on their rec I'm willing to give it another go. Without getting too spoilery, could someone clarify whether this becomes something more than a generic murder mystery about a dude dealing with grief?

Like, that hook didn't really grab me but I can push through if it goes someplace weirder, but I went through the first 4-5 episodes and if that's what the rest is like, I don't think I care to continue, but that rec keeps sloshing around in the back of my mind, because everything else they recommend is both weird and extremely my thing.

...help?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am really enjoying Victoriocity which has a charmingly Douglas Adams feel to it. (Honestly if anyone has any recommendations for similar serial podcasts I'd enjoy hearing them.)'

Edit: It isn't 'finished' but the seasons are self-contained..

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Definitely check out Dark Ages and Tales from the Aletheian Society. They both scratch a very similar itch.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

I am really enjoying Victoriocity which has a charmingly Douglas Adams feel to it. (Honestly if anyone has any recommendations for similar serial podcasts I'd enjoy hearing them.)'

If you're looking for comedy there's Mission to Zyxx. It's basically improvised Red Dwarf (but actually done quite well.) Each season has a loose story but it's really more about the jokes.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

There’s the radio show ‘bleak expectations’ which is a dickens pastiche with a LOT of daft wordplay jokes but they’re carried well by a stellar cast including Anthony Stewart Head and Geoffrey Whitehead, as well as a young Tom Allen (who does well in the role despite his more recent stand up/TV presenter persona). Not everyone’s cup of tea but some of the lines are incredible and ASH constantly cheering scenery is good value regardless

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Old Gods of Appalachia is great too.

:siren: Season 2 begins Thursday and Yuri Lowenthal will be the lead villain :siren:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I know I've heard the music from Wha6tthe Ghosts ads in something but I can't place it. Some sort of indie horror game maybe?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Len posted:

So this is definitely more the Monster Hunters side right? The two leads are on the sub as the Captain and other generic guy I can't remember, and the episodes mostly seem to be written by the captain and the medical doctor? (Who I think is who wrote most of Mars Corp). Kinda interesting how these groups run since each had their own shows for years....

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I'm hate-listening to Season 5 of Tanis now that it's free, and Sterling Shuster is the dumbest loving name I've ever heard.

DarklyDreaming posted:

:siren: Season 2 begins Thursday and Yuri Lowenthal will be the lead villain :siren:

WOW that's a big get! I LOVE Old Gods but I figured they were pretty small potatoes all things considered.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One Swell Foop posted:

There’s the radio show ‘bleak expectations’ which is a dickens pastiche with a LOT of daft wordplay jokes but they’re carried well by a stellar cast including Anthony Stewart Head and Geoffrey Whitehead, as well as a young Tom Allen (who does well in the role despite his more recent stand up/TV presenter persona). Not everyone’s cup of tea but some of the lines are incredible and ASH constantly cheering scenery is good value regardless

Man I adore Anthony Stewart Head so this sold me super hard.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I really prefer my audio fiction written presented as the reading of a written story (ala Magnus classic) so the audio theater of big name fiction and the molasses-slow campfire tale style of Old Gods both leave me cold

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

ImpAtom posted:

Man I adore Anthony Stewart Head so this sold me super hard.

He goes turbo ham as Mr Gently Benevolent.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

DarklyDreaming posted:

YES

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Currently listening to Bubble and Wolf 359, and enjoying both. Any recommendations for dramas that are in similar vein?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

DarklyDreaming posted:

Holy poo poo

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

busalover posted:

Currently listening to Bubble and Wolf 359, and enjoying both. Any recommendations for dramas that are in similar vein?

EOS 10 is pretty close in tone. Stellar Firma might also be worth a listen, it's a bit goofy but I enjoy it. Mission to Zyxx is goofier still and I got bored. Both Stellar Firma and Mission to Zyxx are largely improvised, but the two main actors in Stella Firma are brothers and it's from the same production team as Magnus Archives so there's some rapport and rigour in it but it's still light relief compared to the more scripted stuff.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

One Swell Foop posted:

EOS 10 is pretty close in tone. Stellar Firma might also be worth a listen, it's a bit goofy but I enjoy it. Mission to Zyxx is goofier still and I got bored. Both Stellar Firma and Mission to Zyxx are largely improvised, but the two main actors in Stella Firma are brothers and it's from the same production team as Magnus Archives so there's some rapport and rigour in it but it's still light relief compared to the more scripted stuff.

Hmm I listened to Zyxx and bounced off pretty hard; EOS 10 is not my jam. Will check out Stellar Firma, although I don't think improv is my thing. Meanwhile I've started listening to Edict Zero, it's not really funny, but well made. Makes me think of a Batman comic. Also the sound design is crazy good, as stated in the OP.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I love Zyxx simply because it feels like a love letter to Futurama and I miss it so.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

busalover posted:

Hmm I listened to Zyxx and bounced off pretty hard; EOS 10 is not my jam. Will check out Stellar Firma, although I don't think improv is my thing. Meanwhile I've started listening to Edict Zero, it's not really funny, but well made. Makes me think of a Batman comic. Also the sound design is crazy good, as stated in the OP.

Unfortunately for you, Wolf 359 is basically the high water mark for the "podcast audio fiction" medium at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Arrhythmia posted:

Unfortunately for you, I Am In Eskew is basically the high water mark for the "podcast audio fiction" medium at the moment.