Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Elviscat posted:

Out in the boonies sometimes people flash their brights to tell you the pigs are speed trapping ahead.

People doing this have been arrested for "interfering with a police investigation" :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Headlights always on is required in Australia, too. That’s the kind of thing I don’t have a problem with. There’s no good reason to be able to leave your lights off, and having them on is going to markedly improve how visible you are. We get push-to-pass buttons here though (at least going by the two bikes I’ve owned).

Sagebrush posted:

People doing this have been arrested for "interfering with a police investigation" :911:

The cops here don’t like this either and I believe you will get in trouble if they catch you, but people still do it because gently caress the man. I don’t know anyone who has ever been done for it.

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 1, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Incredible. I will never repeat this story IRL for fear the information may somehow reach porcine ears and I'll have one more thing to be paranoid about when riding.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Headlights always on is required in Australia, too. That’s the kind of thing I don’t have a problem with. There’s no good reason to be able to leave your lights off, and having them on is going to markedly improve how visible you are. We get push-to-pass buttons here though (at least going by the two bikes I’ve owned).

I'd like it to be mandatory for cars too

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

My not a U.S. citizen mother almost got arrested for this. More than loving once.

I will forever and always point out pigs that hide.

Slavvy posted:

What about headlights on/off? Almost every modern thing I've seen has had headlights you can't turn off, you have to go back to late 80's-early 90's models to find one, yet JDM bikes seem to have kept them for much longer, right into the 00's on some bikes.

I hear you about it doing nothing though, the driving culture here is very similar so if someone is flashing their lights it is only ever because they're angry at you, or you have something hanging off your car or whatever, or they're warning you about fash. The whole idea that you should always move to the leftmost lane you're able to as a general rule is totally foreign to most people, the notion that you should move out of the way for someone because they asked you to is sheer madness.

the worldwide variant of my shitbike ktm has a headlight defeat switch whereas the us variant just has a little plastic blanking plug. It does have the generic flash-to-pass switch that I use to inform others of hiding pigs, or HEY TURN OFF YOUR loving EYE OF SAURON. It uses the standard Japanese switches we all know and tolerate.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Elviscat posted:

Most stuff sold in the last 5 years here has DRLs, I’d say. Which are as good if not better than headlights in the daytime, I reckon. Assuming they’re the bright LED type, that is.

They’re good enough in many cases that I think you get more dickheads driving around at night without headlights on because the DRLs are throwing out enough light that they don’t realise.

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006
I had to look this up again to make sure I wasn't misremembering. There have been several cases where it was ruled that flashing high beams to warn other drivers is "being expressive" and covered by free speech. Also some cases where it was thrown out and the ticket upheld.

https://www.mtsu.edu/first-amendment/article/1115/headlight-flashing

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/judge-rules-flashing-headlights-is-free-speech-in-oregon-case

http://campbelllawobserver.com/and-the-courts-said-let-there-be-light/

Seems to be a state-by-state deal so lol at any consistency, but there is some precedent. I tend to just warn other motorcyclists and call it even.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Most stuff sold in the last 5 years here has DRLs, I’d say. Which are as good if not better than headlights in the daytime, I reckon. Assuming they’re the bright LED type, that is.

They’re good enough in many cases that I think you get more dickheads driving around at night without headlights on because the DRLs are throwing out enough light that they don’t realise.

The best is the absolute meatpuppets who think 'auto' means 'magic' and therefore never need to check if their headlights are actually on or not, because the magic auto button ensures that they will be! Just merrily cruising along in monsoon conditions, totally invisible.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The 2020 version of flashing your lights to warn about cops is just making a police marker on waze

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Here4DaGangBang posted:

The cops here don’t like this either and I believe you will get in trouble if they catch you, but people still do it because gently caress the man. I don’t know anyone who has ever been done for it.

Cops have tried that a couple of times where I am. The defense has pretty consistently been that warning someone not to commit an offense can't itself be an offense without everything getting extremely weird.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Do you riders in other countries pat the top of your helmet to warn about cops, or is that strictly a US (or California) thing? I had a guy do a finger swirling (siren/lights) motion this past weekend too, but even before I had a bike I knew the pat the helmet thing.

I have a momentary passing switch on my bike, but I don't use it because people are either going to ignore it or try to run me off the road / shoot me for having the audacity to flash my brights, and also I leave my brights on all the time. My friends in cars have verified it's not blinding, but my bike is old and doesn't have the fancy lights of modern bikes.

Elviscat posted:

I agree, although aren't DRL mandatory in the US now? I swear someone posted something in here before about how before it was mandatory it did help people notice you and save lives, but now that it's mandatory the effectiveness has decreased. It seems like that shouldn't be the case though because a light is either visible or it's not.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Cops have tried that a couple of times where I am. The defense has pretty consistently been that warning someone not to commit an offense can't itself be an offense without everything getting extremely weird.

Most speed enforcement here is done by private companies now, so there’s just some drone sitting in a van for a couple of hours, not a police officer. There are people who do things like deliberately “break down” and park their cars in the way of the camera cars, or stand before the camera car with a sign warning drivers.. they have a Facebook group called Block Their Shot where they post locations of cameras and pics of the aforementioned blocking attempts, when they occur.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Most speed enforcement here is done by private companies now

Private enforcement of the law has not once been a good idea, yet people keep on trying it

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

I think there’s also someshit about sitting on the side of the road issuing fines isn’t an investigation, and is in essence, revenue generation.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

Private enforcement of the law has not once been a good idea, yet people keep on trying it

Our state government has been selling off everything that isn’t bolted down for some time now/leasing the rights to run businesses which shouldn’t have any problem turning a profit and contributing funds directly to public coffers on an ongoing basis.

Another example which pisses me off is the vehicle number plate business in NSW, since being taken over by a private company they have brought in all kind of ridiculous themed number plate designs, as well as a range of number plates which were mostly unreadable by eye in broad daylight and had to be recalled, and a range of plates featuring white characters on a black reflective background, meaning that at night, when you’re following a car with these plates and your headlights are shining on them, you often can’t read them. I’m sure they’re readable by a camera, but IMO a key requirement of a number plate is that is be readable by eye, at a good distance.

They’ve also brought in branded plates for car dealers, as an alternative to the usual branded number plate surrounds. But rather than making the plate larger so the characters can stay nice and readable at a distance while incorporating the dealer’s logo, they kept the plate the same size and shrunk the characters, again making the plates less readable. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

MomJeans420 posted:

Do you riders in other countries pat the top of your helmet to warn about cops, or is that strictly a US (or California) thing? I had a guy do a finger swirling (siren/lights) motion this past weekend too, but even before I had a bike I knew the pat the helmet thing.

In Massachusetts I have never in my life seen someone do the helmet pat, but I'm aware of it. I saw someone do it when I was in SD though.

Yuns posted:

Yes, passing switches tend to be in EU spec bikes but not US spec bikes. You'd think it'd be easier to just have them in all bikes but apparently not.

My Ducati and Harley both have passing switches. I'm just glad the Harley finally has technology that other bikes apparently don't.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

I agree, although aren't DRL mandatory in the US now? I swear someone posted something in here before about how before it was mandatory it did help people notice you and save lives, but now that it's mandatory the effectiveness has decreased. It seems like that shouldn't be the case though because a light is either visible or it's not.

They aren’t mandatory but just about every manufacturer does it so they can sell the same cars in Canada and the US.

The decrease in effectiveness is supposedly because when they were uncommon they drew more attention to the car with lights on in the daytime but now they’re just part of the landscape since everyone has them and they get tuned out as nothing special, but I haven’t personally looked at any studies on the topic.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Had a funny one yesterday. Was working on the CRV and had to run to the parts store for a couple of wheel cylinders, and it was pouring rain. I'm in my Darien and such, dry as can be, but on the way home I see:

1) Harley
2) Ape Hangers
3) No helmet
4) Tall windshield

And the poor dumb bastard riding it crouched down as much as possible behind his windshield taking a beating at 45mph. Didn't even have sunglasses.

I nearly laughed myself into the shoulder.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

That guy on his Harley was pretty stupid.

I guarantee he's still not going to wear a helmet or get eye protection, despite that bad experience.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
cannot imagine riding in the pouring rain with no eye pro. last time i rode home from work in a torrential downpour i had welts on all exposed portions of skin

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I don't know how people ride with open faced helmets/no helmet and no windshield at anything more than city speeds. I clean a shitload of bugs off of my helmet after every spring and summer ride. Who wants to clean that mess off of your face?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Having taken a bee to the neck a few months ago at ~65mph, I can say I absolutely do not want to take a bee to the eye at any speed really

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I always ride fully geared up.

A few rides back, I was riding and it started raining heavily. I hadn't fully zipped up my jacket at the neck, so maybe 1 inch of skin was exposed. Rain was painful hitting my lower neck area. I stopped and zipped up fully.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MomJeans420 posted:

Having taken a bee to the neck a few months ago at ~65mph, I can say I absolutely do not want to take a bee to the eye at any speed really

I once had a bee lodge itself between my face and helmet liner right at the corner of my eye. It stung me on the eyelid and basically a mm or so to the left it would have stung my actual eyeball

It was loving terrifying

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That has to make your eyelid swell and make that eye useless, right?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

:pwn:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

:psyduck:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Spokane? Ten grand buys a lot of meth.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Didn't you watch Zack and Ari's latest YouTube video? That bike is faster than a brand new Panigale V4S brah

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

3000 loving miles, in 14 years???

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

I’ve probably posted this before, but here’s me the morning after I caught a helmet bee. I’ve never had a reaction like this to a bee sting otherwise. Fortunately by the time we had breakfast and loaded up the fluid had drained down and I could ride fine.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Elviscat posted:

3000 loving miles, in 14 years???

The old dude I bought my mower from had a mint condition seafoam green Indian Chief in his garage. Asked him about it, it's his first bike, he's been riding for 20 years, it's got 8,000km on it. No I didn't miss a zero. He has no other bikes.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

A couple years ago I caught a bee in the neck on the freeway and that poo poo was not fun at all, big rear end whelp on my neck that stung like a...b when I got in to the office.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

ought ten posted:

I’ve probably posted this before, but here’s me the morning after I caught a helmet bee. I’ve never had a reaction like this to a bee sting otherwise. Fortunately by the time we had breakfast and loaded up the fluid had drained down and I could ride fine.

Don't worry it's not like you need depth perception while riding a bike

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ought ten posted:

Yeah same thing that happened with my eye too. Thankfully I was close to home when it happened

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Just how long has the war between bees and bikers been waging?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

Don't worry it's not like you need depth perception while riding a bike

Speaking as someone who (like 30% of the population) doesn't have full stereoscopic vision, I'll agree with this.

Parallax-based depth perception only works out to about 10-12 metres - you can demonstrate this yourself by covering each of your eyes in turn while focusing on near and far objects. Depth perception beyond that is handled by environmental cues, change of shape/size of the object, etc. The much bigger problem of being completely monocular is losing over 90 degrees of peripheral vision - you'll be astonished how much info you process from the edges of your vision without even noticing it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Trying to sell the intruder. The buyer's come to see it and wants it. The price is right for everyone. He's in a town about 45 minutes away that I have to go to a couple of times a week anyway. The following conversation happens:

Me: When do you want to come get it? Or if you're in <town he said he lived in> I can drop it off on friday or the weekend if you let me know what time and the address.

Him: When's best for you?

Me: Any time friday or on the weekend.

Him: I'll get back to you.

<24 hours later>

Him: Yeah if you could drop it off that'd be great.

Me: Cool. When do you want me to be there?

Him: Whenever's best for you.

Me: OK, 11am tomorrow is perfect for me. What's your address?

Him: I can't do 11am.

Me: OK, what about 12? or 1? What's your address?

Him: Yeah 12 is fine.

Me: Cool, I'll be there at 12, what's your address?

<4 hours pass>

Him: <address>

Me: That's not in <town> dude. I can still drop it off but it'll have to be on the weekend, or you can come get it. (It's closer and easier to get to, I just can't be there tomorrow).

Him: OK I'm free all weekend. When's best for you?

Me: 9am Saturday.

Him: I'll get back to you.

It's been 8 hours and I'm thinking about telling him to go gently caress himself if he messages me back. What the gently caress is wrong with people?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah same thing that happened with my eye too. Thankfully I was close to home when it happened

Now I’m just grateful mine stung me up by my temple and I didn’t have your terrifying near-eyeball experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

You'll get there and he'll lowball you