Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Got my first Note (20 Ultra) today after being exclusively getting S phones for years now and it's pretty neat! The display on this thing is ridiculous, and I'm digging writing on it more than I expected to. I like that you can start writing a note right away with the screen off, and the pen to text conversion is drat good considering my handwriting is horrendous. Getting a case tomorrow because this camera jutting out of it is weird as gently caress and makes me nervous laying it down on a table when it's resting on the camera at an angle like a ramp. Also makes it kind of awkward to put down on my charging pads. Hopefully the case fills in the negative space to make the bottom of it a little more flush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Some Goon posted:

Anyone got a recommended keyboard for the large handed? I keep hitting the keys next to the ones I want to. I'm using a Nokia 7.1 and in a regular phone holding position my thumb can more than reach across the entire device. 'Buy a bigger phone' is the obvious answer but I'm otherwise happy with this one so if there's any software solutions I'm all ears.

Also it seems to have dried out A-Ok so thanks for the input, again.

SwiftKey lets you resize the keyboard vertically up to half the screen or so. It can also get narrower, but probably not something you are looking for. There's not much in the of moving the keys around beyond that, though.

It also picks up mistaps pretty well (at least once it learns your typing style), so you don't have to be too accurate. I know I tend to hit the keys toward the outside of their targets and it's mostly fine (you becomes toy sometimes, but that's about it).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Uthor posted:

SwiftKey lets you resize the keyboard vertically up to half the screen or so. It can also get narrower, but probably not something you are looking for.
That has its own uses for tablets, by the way. On large tablets, the ability to shrink the keyboard down to half size saves you a lot of time and makes typing more convenient.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I can see that. I like my keyboard smaller and would probably do that.

Does it do split keyboard? You used to be able to pop it out and make it float, too.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Uthor posted:

I can see that. I like my keyboard smaller and would probably do that.

Does it do split keyboard? You used to be able to pop it out and make it float, too.
I believe so, yes. You can set it up as a thumb keyboard, last I checked.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Some Goon posted:

Anyone got a recommended keyboard for the large handed? I keep hitting the keys next to the ones I want to.
Maybe try the funky keyboard Minuum
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.whirlscape.minuumfree

I bought/liked it but I'm super into the Google ecosystem so I just use Gboard now.

Pretty customizable, and can be made super small the auto correct works for even blackout drunk fst fingering.

I might give it another try, it's been years.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've used Swiftkey with every phone for what feels like a decade now and it's always been better than any stock keyboard from Samsung/Google/Apple that I've played with. I usually give the stock keyboard a try but inevitably just go back to Swiftkey in the end.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
The only problem I have with SwiftKey is with multiple languages. If I type fast enough apparently it looks like I'm swiping on the spacebar and the language will be switched. It also seems to want to autocomplete languages other than the one currently selected. I stick with Gboard for any non-English situations because it lets me explicitly switch which language I'm typing in.

e: actually it occurred to me that the swipe is probably just switching the layout, not the active language.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

chmods please posted:

e: actually it occurred to me that the swipe is probably just switching the layout, not the active language.
Yes, that is in fact correct. If you set all your languages to the same layout, the option to swipe doesn't even appear.

Generally speaking, SwiftKey is pretty good about only predicting swipes for the same language as the rest of the sentence, so there's that at least.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I'm cautiously optimistic about the new "Sabrina" Android TV dongle. It sounds like it will be a full-fledged Android TV / Chromecast Ultra combo with a physical remote. Currently using a Fire Cube for YoutubeTV and everything, and I've never really been happy with the Ad-First UI and virtual lack of customization. The built-in YoutubeTV integration being hinted at could make it a big QoL upgrade.

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020
Soli would constantly change tracks when I moved my hands while driving. Annoying at it's worst, useless gimmick at best. For the record I really, really dislike face unlock and I hope the 5 goes back to fingerprints. It was technology for the sake of technology and in practicality a huge step back from the simplicity of finger unlock. Especially since we're stuck wearing masks constantly.

Also, if anyone is on the fence on galaxy buds vs pixel buds (I think they're called that), get the galaxy buds 100%. I started with them and they've been great, almost never having connection issues at all. I had some extra Google store credit I needed to spend so I picked up the pixel buds. The pixel buds constantly drop connection in one ear, in both ears, or lose sync and create a sort of echo effect. It is insanely annoying and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone for that reason alone. Just awful, and I'm on a Pixel 4XL so I figured they'd do pretty well.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

molestrios posted:

Soli would constantly change tracks when I moved my hands while driving. Annoying at it's worst, useless gimmick at best. For the record I really, really dislike face unlock and I hope the 5 goes back to fingerprints. It was technology for the sake of technology and in practicality a huge step back from the simplicity of finger unlock. Especially since we're stuck wearing masks constantly.

While I've never turned on the Soli gesture controls (why would anyone), it seems to work great for having the phone ready before I have it in hand. There's absolutely no way I'd go back to fingerprint after having face unlock though. I can definitely see the appeal of having both, but having only fingerprint would feel like such a step back it just wouldn't be worth it. I guess if I had a complaint about face unlock is that it's just far too fast and way too convenient. I guess something being too perfect is a pretty big flaw.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Thanks for your advice on the pixel 4, 4a, 4a-5G and 5, everyone.

I think I'll just wait to see what the 5 looks like. The 4a sounds good but if the camera is worse than the OG pixel I'm not sure I like that as an option.

Both my wife and I have had our batteries replaced in our OG pixels but they're still pretty bad. I wonder if we got old batteries or something.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Vasler posted:

The 4a sounds good but if the camera is worse than the OG pixel I'm not sure I like that as an option.

The camera isn’t worse.

quote:

The quad-core Snapdragon 821 processor is also slower than the mid-range octa-core Snapdragon 730G inside the Pixel 4a. This is thanks to more modern CPU core designs in Google’s affordable phone. The two are also pretty comparable with it comes to graphics, but you’ll probably get the best results from the more modernly optimized Pixel 4a.

Google’s latest camera package can trace its root all the way back to the original Pixel, but the newer model benefits from dual-pixel phase-detection autofocus, optical image stabilization, and Google’s latest approaches to processing.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

sourdough posted:

The camera isn’t worse.

And the Pixel 5 will have its own set of upgrades using the same sensor as the Pixel 2, 3, 3a, 4, and 4a line.

Google Camera 7.5 has code for audio zoom, motion blur, social sharing for videos, flash intensity settings, and 4k/60FPS video.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I swear at least one person posted their experience with both and that the 4a camera was quite a bit worse than the OG. Glad to read that isn't correct, thanks for clarifying.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Current rumor is the Pixel 5 will be €629 with 16% VAT and come in black and green.

That works out to $650 USD and puts it right at the original Pixel price.

https://twitter.com/NilsAhrDE/status/1300909994276261892

https://twitter.com/NilsAhrDE/status/1300931153856278534

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Sep 3, 2020

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

ThermoPhysical posted:

Current rumor is the Pixel 5 will be £629 with 16% VAT and come in black and green.

That works out to $650 USD and puts it right at the original Pixel price.

https://twitter.com/NilsAhrDE/status/1300909994276261892

https://twitter.com/NilsAhrDE/status/1300931153856278534

Its € not £

The Pixel 4 prices in germany were 749€ and 899€ for the XL in comparison.
The original Pixel was priced at 759€ and 899€ for the XL so at least in germany the Pixel 5 would actually be cheaper than the first one.

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 3, 2020

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

Its € not £

The Pixel 4 prices in germany were 749€ and 899€ for the XL in comparison.
The original Pixel was priced at 759€ and 899€ for the XL so at least in germany the Pixel 5 would actually be cheaper than the first one.

Oop. Sorry, fixed!

That's pretty awesome. Hopefully this will pan out to be true. At this point, it's turning into a Pixel 4a on steroids.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
So what does that translate to in the One True Currency, British Pound Sterling?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

So what does that translate to in the One True Currency, British Pound Sterling?

By the time it's on the market, about 27 000.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I feel like an idiot because it seems so difficult to switch messaging apps. I'm a Fi subscriber and I have been using Hangouts but I want to switch to Messages.

This documentation says to open Hangouts and go to SMS settings to change the default app. When I do that, Messages is already selected as the current default but all of my texts come in via Hangouts.

I don't see any setting with the Messages app to make it the default.

When I go to Settings on my phone (Pixel 3a) it says Messages is the default.

I am at a loss. Anyone know how to get messages to stop coming into Hangouts and only arrive in Messages?

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

You need to turn off Google Fi calls and SMS in the settings for Hangouts.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Merv Burger posted:

You need to turn off Google Fi calls and SMS in the settings for Hangouts.

I did that and I sent a test message from Messages. The reply came only via Hangouts.

gently caress Google and their stupid chat programs forever.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I vaguely remember having to flip a setting on the web?

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

It's certainly possible. There is a Google Fi "Receive SMS and and voicemail in Hangouts" in the settings menu on the web Google Hangouts.

I really can't remember what exact steps I did to switch off Hangouts SMS integration to use Messages and RCS earlier this year, and I'm sure the steps all changed, because Google!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I saw something about that on the support site and it was already unchecked in the Hangouts web app.

I'll get on the phone with Fi support later. What a poo poo show.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

me your dad posted:

I saw something about that on the support site and it was already unchecked in the Hangouts web app.

I'll get on the phone with Fi support later. What a poo poo show.

Im starting to see google voice fails too. Things not ringing or not ringing to the correct app (on PC). I knew the day would come when google breaks their basic call/message functionality. Lets see if it stays that way.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Well the Pixel 4a is $349 and £349 so I'm assuming Google is just gonna go ahead and pretend the currency conversion is $1:£1 and chalk the difference up to import/customs/VAT/communist healthcare taxes.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Vasler posted:

I swear at least one person posted their experience with both and that the 4a camera was quite a bit worse than the OG. Glad to read that isn't correct, thanks for clarifying.

You're not crazy. From the previous page:

owls or something posted:

Went from Pixel 1 to 4a like a week and a half ago or something. If Google was still pumping updates out for the Pixel OG I personally probably wouldn't have upgraded. The 4a is generally an improvement all around. Battery life is very impressive. Nice to have a big chunk of storage that is noticably considerably faster. Screen is just ok... definitely not better, but not worse overall either. For the price you're not allowed to publicly complain.

I definitely think the camera is notably worse than the Pixel OG though. I take a lot of pictures and see it every single time. Grainyness where the OG would have been crisp. But the camera is good for a 2020 $350 phone, just not as good as a 4 year old flagship evidently.

Not questioning owls' experience, but that definitely sounds odd that the camera would be worse.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It honestly doesn't make any logical/technical sense to say that the 4a camera is noticeably worse than the OG pixel.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Maybe I'm just using it wrong.

I know on paper it's a newer and better sensor. But I've even done (antecdotal & non scientific) side by side comparisons with both in my hands. The 4a's picture always looks less crisp & grainy in comparison.

But if that's not the experience other people seem to have, maybe I just got a hosed up phone. After all, this is the same company that sent me 3 Nexus 5X refurbs in a row for an RMA that all out of the box had some random issue.

edit: does this looks "good" for a outdoor noon phone? Am I going blind?

owls or something fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 3, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tuning of the software over the years can lead to images that you subjectively feel are worse even though they are objectively better. These aren't mutually exclusive positions. Samsung cameras often win blind shootouts not because their dynamic range is better, retain more detail, or are true to life. They win because they turn an image that's pleasing to the eye at a glance on the small screen, contrasty pop that's overly denoised and excessively sharpened.

This is the point where you get into philosophical arguments as to which is the better image, the one you find more pleasing out of the camera or the one that is truer to life which seem way overwrought the intended use of most of the photographs we take with phones.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

An hour spent on chat with Fi support trying to resolve this issue in switching messaging apps. What does she tell me to do? Asks me to sign out of Google. What happens when I sign out of Google? The loving CHAT STOPS.

:argh:

Was I just naive to think this should be simple? For gently caress's sake.

I can send messages via Messages but replies only come in via Hangouts. And she asked me to uninstall Hangouts and I'm installing it again. Who loving knows if my poo poo will ever go back to normal.

gently caress Google. gently caress Messages and their stupid chat apps. I'm staying on Hangouts until they force me to stop. What a loving stupid company.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 3, 2020

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

molestrios posted:

Also, if anyone is on the fence on galaxy buds vs pixel buds (I think they're called that), get the galaxy buds 100%. I started with them and they've been great, almost never having connection issues at all. I had some extra Google store credit I needed to spend so I picked up the pixel buds. The pixel buds constantly drop connection in one ear, in both ears, or lose sync and create a sort of echo effect. It is insanely annoying and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone for that reason alone. Just awful, and I'm on a Pixel 4XL so I figured they'd do pretty well.
I complained about my pixel buds earlier in the thread, getting the 1:50 cutouts that I've seen many complaints about on other sites. All of a sudden they just started working. I thought maybe it was a fluke but I've been forcing myself to listen to music and they've been working perfectly. I never had any of the issues you brought up, though, just the cutouts.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

edit: does this looks "good" for a outdoor noon phone? Am I going blind?

???
With nothing to compare it to, and not knowing how poo poo looks at noon where you're standing it looks like a modern cell phone photo.
Do you still have your old phone, try taking the same picture with both.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

There's literally not a single thing in that photo that isn't grainy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would say the biggest "issue" with the photo is that it's focused on the drainage ditch which has caused the foreground objects to be out of focus.

One thing to keep in mind is that the 4a has a 1.7 aperture while the OG Pixel was 2.0. It's not a HUGE change, but it will result in a narrower plane of focus.

There's literally not a single thing in that photo that isn't grainy.

I don't see excessive noise in that photo. I see things out of focus and I see edge artifacts when looking at 1:1 that I can't determine are Imgur compression artifacts or excessive sharpening.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 3, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It is pretty grainy. You can really tell when you look at the solid brown of that pole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

You guys do know that imgur compresses photos, right? And the focus on that shot is messed up.