Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Pro tip: no matter how good of a warrior you are as a liege, no matter how good your son or whatever is, do not and I repeat do loving not give in to the temptation to lead armies personally and/or not specifically forbid your heir from being a knight (edit just to emphasize FORBID YOUR HEIR FROM BEING A KNIGHT)

I don't care how good at fighting they are, by the time they'll need to rely on their prowess to win a duel they'll be fighting with one eye and a peg leg. Or more likely already dead since you'll be in a succession crisis.

I also recommend making the useless powerful vassals councillors and forcing them to be knights and lead an army. Great way to get rid of those whiny useless fucks. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Holy gently caress Navara hooked an alliance with the HRE.

These kinds of alliances don't help nearly as much as you think. This ain't EU4, you don't ever have to touch the HRE even if they're in the war. You can just occupy all of navarra's land before the HRE sends a doomstack at you (if they're even capable of this) to get 100% war score.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Decided since I'm far more into this than CKII that I'd finally give some Norsemen a try.

What's that, I can start as a son of Ragnarr Loðbrók, when the sons are all attacking Northumbria? Cool! Assemble army, set sail, arrive in Northumbria anticipating Viking raping and pillaging...

And promptly get absolutely CRUSHED by the occupying army, even with an ally fighting along side me.

I guess Ragnar's dream will have to wait.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

do we know whether its better to have more effective knights, cheaper men-at-arms or more levies? trying to decide between duchy buildings right now in an effort to get Ireland a swole enough military to actually fight its neighbors

Definitely think the knight system is cool but aside from making it easy to turn annoying vassals into chum it really makes me think it's setting up for being able to play a quasi feudal mercenary company later on, or some kind of similar idea. It'd be very cool and on brand for the era to have a half dozen blademasters or whatever just scything through the blue bloods while your peasant levy meatshields absorb the blows of your opponent's rank and file

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Started a William the Bastard game with some friends. One friend was the King of Scotland the other the Kind of Sweden.

Trip report:
1 - Ooooh, I start with a large army, bigger than I've ever seen outside a crusade! And I'm at war with England, let's send them over alone (did not raise levies, did not recruit men at arms)
2 - Cool, won a battle
3 - oh, um, The King of England suddenly has 50% more troops than I do.
4 - Oh, my army is dead. Why weren't they replenishing. Oh, because they're special and don't replenish
5 - The King of Scotland is deposed and imprisoned.
6 - I turn my focus to Normandy.
7 - Both of my primary heirs die
8 - My new primary heir is an 8 year old girl. Okay, I can probably fix that in time.
9 - Let's grab this duchy south of me.
10 - Oh I'm dead. I'm now an 8 year old girl.
11 - My uncle got the duchy I had just taken over, time to go get it back
12 - I beat my uncle
13 - The former Kind of Scotland's son is banging the former Queen of Scotland.
13 - My vassals rise up
14 - I am deposed. Game over screen.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Man, you really have to be on your game with allying your vassals as a king in the early game, otherwise you're going to be totally hosed by factions after your first succession. Note to self: make more dynasty members. matrilineally marry the women in your dynasty once you have your realm secure. I need more kids to marry off.

It's less forgiving than CK2, but it's a good change I think. You actually have to pay more attention to your vassals' power and to secure strategic marriages within your realm. Also a good reason to not just make every vassal a member if your dynasty. You need to have some valid marriage arrangement possibilities.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I had no technical problems with my tutorial game but I started over as Rurik the Troublemaker with the goal of forming Russia and the game crashed 4 times in a row within the first 10 minutes of play! What the hell.

edit: crashes 100% of the time trying to continue it too.

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 3, 2020

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So I'm a bit confused about how dynasty heads work - I thought it was supposed to be the most powerful member of the dynasty, but this is my current situation:

I am the king of Ireland and Wales, but for some reason the house head is an unlanded person, and the dynasty head is one of my own vassals (who only has a single duchy and county to her name). So what's going on here? I can't even form a cadet branch because the house head's "government" won't allow it (since she's unlanded).

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Is anyone else finding wars/combat to be bad? I don't even bother with starting wars anymore because even when I have overwhelming power and numbers I still feel like the my knights drop way wayyyyy too fast and the AI alliances coordinate incredible well with each other but your AI allies have no cohesion with you whatsoever and just kind of do their own thing.

Also it never feels like an even match, I'm either completely stomping them into the mud or vice versa. Never had this problem in CK2 so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. It doesn't seem complicated. :shrug:

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Does literally every realm have the stupid partition poo poo as the succession law?

Looks like it outside the Byzantines. Every part of the map is just a reskin of the others.

Antifa Spacemarine fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 3, 2020

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

you sure can, they're just extremely likely to refuse :v:

push the C button and be amazed, then right click somebody and they may, depending on criteria I don't fully understand, have an invite-to-court option (it's probably the same criteria as whether or not you can recruit them if imprisoned)

ty

also, how do I appoint a commander of my army as opposed to leading it myself?

anyway this game really clicked with me tonight. I had a huge back and forth war with Hungary and lost 2 and a half hours lmao

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Related, I just "formed" Ireland, or at least I have the title but don't have the bits of Ireland that Sweden and Iceland stole.

I now have access to some rando decision "Adopt Special Succession Type"...but it doesn't seem to say what this special type is? Is it good?

It's an elective system, where you and your vassals get to choose who (from your family) gets to be your primary heir. In theory it should be good, but currently it just kind of isn't. You end up not inheriting your capital county, despite the tooltip claiming you should, among other various jank. Probably bugged.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My impression is that the house head passes through the primary heir, while the dynasty head is the most powerful house head.

Kinda sucks that you can't create your own house if the house head title gets stranded with some unlanded character. Maybe if they died without an heir it would pass to the most powerful living house member?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I got to say this game does a real good job of easing you out of decision paralysis and commit to do something. Currently In my ‘unite Ireland’ game I managed to get 2 whole duchy’s (Is that the word for a group of related territories?) so far.

Have this on game pass but kind of tempted to get the steam version because I am an idiot.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

My early impression as someone who never really got into CKII (not for lack of trying) is that the interface in this game is way, way better. Being able to pull up definitions/explanations of a concept or mechanic I've forgotten while I'm already reading a tooltip rocks.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cognac McCarthy posted:

My early impression as someone who never really got into CKII (not for lack of trying) is that the interface in this game is way, way better. Being able to pull up definitions/explanations of a concept or mechanic I've forgotten while I'm already reading a tooltip rocks.

Personally I like the “Hey stupid you can do this now if you want!” notices.

Before it usually goes something like this.

- Get the game or newest expansion on sale.
- Say to myself that this is the time I get into this game.
- Stare at the UI figuring out what to do for 15 minutes to an hour
- Quit
- Repeat

This is also me and Total War games

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Red Mundus posted:

Is anyone else finding wars/combat to be bad? I don't even bother with starting wars anymore because even when I have overwhelming power and numbers I still feel like the my knights drop way wayyyyy too fast and the AI alliances coordinate incredible well with each other but your AI allies have no cohesion with you whatsoever and just kind of do their own thing.

Also it never feels like an even match, I'm either completely stomping them into the mud or vice versa. Never had this problem in CK2 so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. It doesn't seem complicated. :shrug:

the allied ai is generally pretty useless but otherwise its been fine. the summaries of your strength or how a battle will go are very simplified and can be wrong, you need to be wary of strong martial rulers if you arent one, of men at arms counters, of how much damage and toughness each unit adds, and how much of your army is levy vs theirs. the quality gives a rough idea but its not black and white. u can win battles the game says you will lose and vica versa.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So does raiding your ally/friend's holdings not affect your relationship with them?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've found AI Allies to be pretty helpful. I was getting wrecked when an Irish Count declared war on me whilst I was preoccupied with another war that I was having tonnes of difficulty with (the bastard imprisoned most of my family members). So I called in an Irish ally to help me out and they actively avoided the enemy doomstack and beelined towards my army and just stuck with me the entire time. The enemy would then pull back and we'd both go and besiege their settlement, and if they tried to beeline to one of our settlements, the AI was smart enough to follow me or peel off and attempt to hamstring them. So it was a big game of cat and mouse that we eventually won.

That being said, boy oh boy am I not looking forward to my ruler dying and all this hard effort splintering into a million tiny pieces. I've got 3 sons and a tonne of daughters and I don't know whether I should be giving these Earldoms to my family members, or if I should be giving it to random courtiers and knights that I like. I figured I'd keep hold of the Duchy titles. I'm trying to unify Ireland and make it a Kingdom before my old boy kicks the bucket, and that way it will hopefully stay as one when he shuffles off the mortal coil.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Some dumb questions:
  • Is there any way to get notifications when, say, my son has a kid? I apparently became a grandfather twice over and didn't even notice.
  • How do I increase the quality of my troops? I was at High quality and called up some men-at-arms, but it didn't seem to do anything.
  • What does it mean when some of the borders on the map start glowing purple?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Man, I am bad at this. I play the game on Easy start characters, conquer a place or two, and then get absolutely WRECKED. I guess I need to replay the tutorial again because I feel like there are entire parts of the game I'm not playing and that I let entire years go by without much happening for my kingdom if I'm not at war.

If anyone has a tip for the best starter-friendly videos that walk a noob patiently through efficiently building a kingdom, I'm for it. I'm loving CKIII but I hate how terrible I feel at it. I've yet to go past more than 30 years without things just falling apart.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

Does literally every realm have the stupid partition poo poo as the succession law?

Looks like it outside the Byzantines. Every part of the map is just a reskin of the others.

Czech (edit: and Slovien) culture is unique in that it has a tribal innovation that gives you access to seniority inheritance in any era and at any level of crown authority. It's a realm law, so it isn't finicky like tanistry.

No Pants fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 3, 2020

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I might have missed this but how do you tell if your spouse is going to come to your court or stay at theirs? As Murchad I picked some English count earl's daughter for her great stats and claim but those stats don't do much good with her sitting across the sea.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Just bought this, having an absolute ball. My main character is gay, which I just discovered after an unhappy marriage. How do I marry another dude? All I see are women in my marriage selection.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

buglord posted:

Just bought this, having an absolute ball. My main character is gay, which I just discovered after an unhappy marriage. How do I marry another dude? All I see are women in my marriage selection.

I don't think you can marry a man, but you can right click someone and try to seduce him.

How do you pick your child's education?

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
Is there a real reason to appease mayors? The game keeps recommend it to me because they are 'powerful vessels', but they can't do poo poo to hurt me, right?

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Man, I have loving just disappeared into this game. Everything that made CK2 a fun emergent story roleplaying game is in, and better. Considering this is the baseline experience, I'm stoked on future content and mods especially.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

perhaps you should consider playing in an era where people outside of Constantinople aren't disgusting barbarians

i recommend 1922

Party In My Diapee posted:

I don't think you can marry a man, but you can right click someone and try to seduce him.

How do you pick your child's education?

right click your child and assign them a guardian

there's also a marker to the bottom left? of their head that tells you what their educational focus is, which should almost always be the same as their guardian and also tells you helpful things re: their personal traits vs their education

they should also show up in the Tab Function when they turn 8 or so and be signalled as HELLO YOUR KID SHOULD BE EDUCATED SOMEHOW

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 3, 2020

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

GreyjoyBastard posted:

perhaps you should consider playing in an era where people outside of Constantinople aren't disgusting barbarians

That era doesn’t exist as a start date I’m afraid.

In case you’re genuinely not aware, you have to reach Late Medieval to get out of Partition for most cultures. You’re stuck with it for a good while.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

buglord posted:

Marriage is a contract to make babies for your lineage and establish alliances. You are encouraged to find a beard while you go seducing the mens of the lands

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I started a new run in Ireland but outside the tutorial (for MORE WIVES - I finally understand why Ireland is populated with hordes of half-brothers, when everyone can take 4 wives that's bound to happen) and wanted to avoid repeating the same mistake I did last time, that is getting a young wife and churning out another 6 sons that will all get to share my stuff when I die leaving the primary heir hosed

So before unpausing I marry a 35 year old woman, with "low" chance of new children, just for her stats and maybe I guess I'll pop out a kid of two before she gets too old... 1 month later, she's pregnant. drat.

I'm still not getting many events, but I guess CK2 had us spoiled with the billion events it accumulated in years of patches and DLC. You can also clearly see that they built a super solid foundation to improve upon and I bet with a couple DLCs focusing on more shenanigans and internal management (more plots, more events, more mechanics like artifacts or societies) this will become a masterpiece.

Zeron posted:

I do think you could stand to either make lifestyle perks accumulate a bit faster or make them a bit more powerful.

definitely agree on this, Murchad starts out with one tree already filled and is what, 34 years old? But on the last run I only managed to get 3 or maybe 4 perks in the 22 years elapsed before he croaked, and I chose the Martial focus in which he has a 30% bonus points due to education... if I got another one I'd have gotten maybe 2 or 3 perks only in 20 years which kinda sucks, I know we're not supposed to have uber-powerful characters (that will come with immortality and/or DLCs I guess) but it felt a bit too slow really, how did he manage to get 8 perks from 16yo to 34yo when it took me a longer time to get half that?

Can't really comment on innovation/culture stuff because I haven't played long enough yet, but that also seems to move at a very slow pace, especially when you're in a backwater like Ireland with low development. I mean, if discovering a focused innovation takes 40 years, it means I could only choose 10 in the whole game ... when there's like 15 in each of the 4 eras + any cultural/special ones for a total of 60+! I guess you're not supposed to have them all at end game, but I'd think you could snag about half of them at least. Maybe that's easier and they come faster in less lovely places like Italy or the HRE?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 3, 2020

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

GreyjoyBastard posted:

right click your child and assign them a guardian

there's also a marker to the bottom left? of their head that tells you what their educational focus is, which should almost always be the same as their guardian and also tells you helpful things re: their personal traits vs their education

they should also show up in the Tab Function when they turn 8 or so and be signalled as HELLO YOUR KID SHOULD BE EDUCATED SOMEHOW

Thanks, so i choose education by picking a guardian with the education i want and not manually if i understand correctly.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Party In My Diapee posted:

Thanks, so i choose education by picking a guardian with the education i want and not manually if i understand correctly.

You can pick a separate education from the guardian, but it's generally a bad plan because the kiddo gets a bonus from their educator in their educator's field. Realistically you want the education to match the guardian's education (and top stat).

edit: which is also how it's automatically assigned if they have a guardian

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 3, 2020

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

TorakFade posted:

I mean, if discovering a focused innovation takes 40 years, it means I could only choose 10 in the whole game ... when there's like 15 in each of the 4 eras + any cultural/special ones for a total of 60+! I guess you're not supposed to have them all at end game, but I'd think you could snag about half of them at least. Maybe that's easier and they come faster in less lovely places like Italy or the HRE?

You can speed it up a lot with the Learning focus.

I really like the way they've done focuses, it's actually hard to choose between them.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Desperately save-scumming to figure out how I can quickly get my heir killed so it falls to the actual son I love with amazing stats. He also has a younger brother who is trying to claw away at titles. I think in the future, I'm gonna throw all excess sons into the meatgrinder that is Knighthood and pray they get wrecked.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I just got the Norman Yoke achievement. That was really fun and I barely made it. A year later my ruler died. I had to do some pretty heinous poo poo to get it all in place lol

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Man, they fixed the little trick in gavelkind where you just don't create another kingdom title to avoid losing them.

Is there some way around this, or can you not expand any further from one Kingdom until you get promigeniture?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Jesus loving Christ the AI needs to chill. Holy warring someone down to the point will caused a gently caress ton of other AI rulers to spam wars at them, who will all become hostile to each other, and then they will chain unsiege your poo poo down.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

JosefStalinator posted:

Man, they fixed the little trick in gavelkind where you just don't create another kingdom title to avoid losing them.

Is there some way around this, or can you not expand any further from one Kingdom until you get promigeniture?

There are options!

- don't expand too far into alternate kingdoms before you are all set to push for empire
- ensure you have one (1) legitimate heir of [gender] at any given time
- prepare your primary heir to crush her sisters under her heel in Sorority Thunderdome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

JosefStalinator posted:

Once you get to normal partition it will at least stop doing that AND try and keep everything under one realm. If you're a double king or emperor you're still hosed but you can avoid making a title from then on out. It requires the cultural innovation Hereditary Rule iirc.