Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I figure with onions a face shield wouldn't help that much. The compound that's released is a gas so I'd think that it's mostly just it diffusing rather than droplets from cutting. So if you could smell the onion then it may make your eyes water. I also wear glasses and I occasionally have trouble with onions. But tight fitting goggles may reduce the gas permeation and so may work.

But I could be wrong on this, maybe onion droplets coming from cutting are actually worse than just gas diffusion, I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I wear glasses and often cry like a baby cutting onions. I either have very sensitive eyes or eat a lot of ornery onions (or just a lot of onions in general).

Any kind of barrier will help to some degree, but you're still going to have gas getting under a face shield.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Use a sharper knife. Sharper knife=less cell damage=less onion gas

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Croatoan posted:

I made breakfast today (WFH is awesome in that regard) and now that I've been eating pasture raised chicken eggs fed on bugs, I'll never go back to cheap, mean changed chicken eggs. Not only is it better for the birds but drat these yolks are so deep and rich it's just incredible. The yolk is orange, it's cartoony almost. Which made me think on the subject of the "organic" movement here's my takeaways so far and I know they're subjective, my experience and opinion is not universal:

Organic pasture raised eggs - Awesome
Organic milk - Awesome
Organic veg - can't really tell
Organic fruit - can't really tell
Organic yogurt - depends on the brand but I think it's more a function of better brands than "organic".
Organic cheese - I can't tell but some people swear by it.

Anything I'm missing out on in y'all's opinions?

I like organic milk but I think mainly because its ultra-pasteurized. Cream is as well and it gives a distinct taste. It makes the milk taste more like I think cream tastes so I like it better. It’s also nice that it keeps forever because I don’t drink a ton of milk.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
With the eggs it's really more the free ranging and pasturing that makes them good - organic isn't a part of it. Same with beef, milk products, etc. The terroir matters with these things.

Also, croat - the color of those yolks will change throughout the year as the diet varies.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Also, croat - the color of those yolks will change throughout the year as the diet varies.

I've noticed that! It was always richer (I started this year) and brighter but right now they're so orange it's crazy. And yeah I know it's because the diet rather than "organic", it just made me think about "premium" versions of foodstuffs we all buy. I wish I had the cash for true grass fed beef but not right now. Maybe when I'm an empty nester.

Oh and for the Milk, I agree about UHT. I my family can take forever to go through milk (or if they get on a chocolate milk kick they plow through it in a few days and I have to yell) so that's nice but it also tastes richer than plain old cheapo milk. Don't know the science behind why, it just is imo.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Croatoan posted:

I made breakfast today (WFH is awesome in that regard) and now that I've been eating pasture raised chicken eggs fed on bugs, I'll never go back to cheap, mean changed chicken eggs. Not only is it better for the birds but drat these yolks are so deep and rich it's just incredible. The yolk is orange, it's cartoony almost. Which made me think on the subject of the "organic" movement here's my takeaways so far and I know they're subjective, my experience and opinion is not universal:

Organic milk - Awesome
Organic yogurt - depends on the brand but I think it's more a function of better brands than "organic".

Yeah, I don't give a poo poo about organic from a hippy dippy ritual purity standpoint, but there are a few things that I'll buy the organic version of purely for the accidental side effects--like eggs having better terroir or whatever you want to call it as a result of diet--or sometimes just because the organic version is the only version available. Like locally if you're buying mushrooms your options most of the time are a) conventionally-farmed white button mushrooms in a tub covered in cellophane (so you can't look them over and discover that all of the caps are already open) or b) literally every other kind of mushroom, including all of the ones sold loose. Same thing with virtually all of the "upscale" veg. Like ordinary broccoli you can find "conventional", but baby broccoli/broccolette/broccolini (which I love for dry braising in stir fry) is almost always only in the organic section.

My local CSA skews toward organic stuff as well, so probably three quarters of the produce (and lately meat and other stuff) I get from them is organic, but I'm going with them because a) I ideologically like the idea of supporting local agriculture, and b) during the pandemic holy poo poo is it nice knowing a week ahead of time what produce is going to be available.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
only 100% onion cutting soln is full face (not just mouth and nose) n95 mask

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

bob dobbs is dead posted:

only 100% onion cutting soln is full face (not just mouth and nose) n95 mask

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

is that a full-on PAPR? lmao

I'm either super lucky or super weird, but onions have never bothered me while I sliced or diced or whatever. Obviously capsicums aren't allums, but hot peppers absolutely gently caress with my eyes and nose, so it isn't like I'm down mucus membranes or whatever

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Eeyo posted:

I figure with onions a face shield wouldn't help that much. The compound that's released is a gas so I'd think that it's mostly just it diffusing rather than droplets from cutting. So if you could smell the onion then it may make your eyes water. I also wear glasses and I occasionally have trouble with onions. But tight fitting goggles may reduce the gas permeation and so may work.

But I could be wrong on this, maybe onion droplets coming from cutting are actually worse than just gas diffusion, I have no idea.

Contacts really help, but I suppose we're all old enough at this point that if you were going to get them you would have already. That said, it does make me think its more about airborne particles because the other thing that makes my eyeballs go nuts only if I'm wearing glasses is smoke.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Drink and Fight posted:

Well you need a crust. And cheese and stuff.

This is my usual recipe: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html

Yeah, there's tons of info on all those though, there's not much sauce chatter that I've seen. Maybe its not super important. In pizza related news I was at the store and accidentally got more prosciutto than I'd planned on at the deli counter, so its going on the pizza. Its also maybe getting crisped up just a tiny bit and going the cheddar/green onion risotto later this week assuming I don't just eat it like the savage that I am.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

SubG posted:

Yeah, I don't give a poo poo about organic from a hippy dippy ritual purity standpoint, but there are a few things that I'll buy the organic version of purely for the accidental side effects--like eggs having better terroir or whatever you want to call it as a result of diet--or sometimes just because the organic version is the only version available. Like locally if you're buying mushrooms your options most of the time are a) conventionally-farmed white button mushrooms in a tub covered in cellophane (so you can't look them over and discover that all of the caps are already open) or b) literally every other kind of mushroom, including all of the ones sold loose. Same thing with virtually all of the "upscale" veg. Like ordinary broccoli you can find "conventional", but baby broccoli/broccolette/broccolini (which I love for dry braising in stir fry) is almost always only in the organic section.

My local CSA skews toward organic stuff as well, so probably three quarters of the produce (and lately meat and other stuff) I get from them is organic, but I'm going with them because a) I ideologically like the idea of supporting local agriculture, and b) during the pandemic holy poo poo is it nice knowing a week ahead of time what produce is going to be available.

Yeah, absolutely. I buy 'organic' eggs and milk because that's what the better small local producers sell, and I'm here for the quality rather than the label.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
If I don't get to the grocery store by 11pm everything will be closed and I won't have anything to eat all night(my waking hours). The problem is I don't want to go

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Yeah, there's tons of info on all those though, there's not much sauce chatter that I've seen. Maybe its not super important. In pizza related news I was at the store and accidentally got more prosciutto than I'd planned on at the deli counter, so its going on the pizza. Its also maybe getting crisped up just a tiny bit and going the cheddar/green onion risotto later this week assuming I don't just eat it like the savage that I am.

Are you asking specifically how to make pizza sauce? That link has one, or you can use your favorite marinara, or a little olive oil, or literally whatever you want. I will sometimes just blend a can of tomatoes with some garlic and half an onion. I make leftovers pizza all the time with curry or chile verde or whatever there's extra sauce of.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

excellent bird guy posted:

If I don't get to the grocery store by 11pm everything will be closed and I won't have anything to eat all night(my waking hours). The problem is I don't want to go

I just buy store-brand corn flakes and put em in a bowl and sip bird piss and love it like normal people do. why would you want cow milk?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

drat bro thats crazy

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I find that organic produce usually has much more flavour than non.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Eat This Glob posted:

I just buy store-brand corn flakes and put em in a bowl and sip bird piss and love it like normal people do. why would you want cow milk?

One time when I was trying to do the gain a lot of weight/get strong/powerlift thing, I was trying to drink A Gallon Of Milk A Day. I was at work, working the medical floor of a hospital, you know just kinda bullshitting it was a slow night. I had the gallon on my desk and was trying to drink the whole thing. About 3/4 way in I started getting really, really itchy like my whole body was have an allergic reaction. My poop was like white. After that I've been disgusted by milk and don't mess with it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

One time when I was trying to do the gain a lot of weight/get strong/powerlift thing, I was trying to drink A Gallon Of Milk A Day. I was at work, working the medical floor of a hospital, you know just kinda bullshitting it was a slow night. I had the gallon on my desk and was trying to drink the whole thing. About 3/4 way in I started getting really, really itchy like my whole body was have an allergic reaction. My poop was like white. After that I've been disgusted by milk and don't mess with it.

Wow, this sent me down a Google rabbit hole. WHAT THE gently caress.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Drink and Fight posted:

Are you asking specifically how to make pizza sauce? That link has one, or you can use your favorite marinara, or a little olive oil, or literally whatever you want. I will sometimes just blend a can of tomatoes with some garlic and half an onion. I make leftovers pizza all the time with curry or chile verde or whatever there's extra sauce of.

My bad, the way you phrased the earlier post I thought it was a pizza dough link

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Scientastic posted:

Wow, this sent me down a Google rabbit hole. WHAT THE gently caress.

Look, it is very sensible for your average 30 year old office worker trying to get a bit stronger to adapt a diet intended fora 17 year old football player that needs 8 000 calories a day to put on muscle fast enough.

As fgor the UHT milk flavor difference. It's because it's boiled. That is what boiled milk tastes like. It becomes sweeter. Personally I'm not a fan, unless used in food where it would be cooked anyway, but I guess that depends on what you are used to.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I do not care for UHT milk. Not one iota.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I think it can have it's uses, since it can be stored in room temperature, but only for cooking. For drinking it just tastes wrong.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It makes tea taste bad

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

It makes tea taste bad

Yes. And that is my primary use for milk. THIS GUY GETS IT.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

DekeThornton posted:

Look, it is very sensible for your average 30 year old office worker trying to get a bit stronger to adapt a diet intended fora 17 year old football player that needs 8 000 calories a day to put on muscle fast enough.

Would a Gallon of Goat's Milk a Day be easier to tolerate? You really have to exercise bear in mind, because the milk would be a lot of energy you need to burn up.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I would probably just drink a more reasonable amount of normal milk. If I needed a few extra calories.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Croatoan posted:

Organic milk - Awesome

For fruit, it's about being local, not organic. Local = picked when ripe. Not local = picked underripe so they travel better. When I moved to California, I finally learned what strawberries taste like :swoon:

Eeyo posted:

Your threshold for smelling something is very very low, to the point where you could definitely smell an onion without getting a painful dose in your eye :)

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

You really have to exercise bear in mind,

yeah dude no one exercises their mindbear these days, it's just sad really

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Would a Gallon of Goat's Milk a Day be easier to tolerate? You really have to exercise bear in mind, because the milk would be a lot of energy you need to burn up.
Like all things, this has already been answered by anime.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Scientastic posted:

It makes tea taste bad

I got some UHT milk a few months ago because I didn't want to be in a situation where I couldn't get milk for tea. I figured that whatever was going on with the pandemic, so long as I could still have a cup of tea, everything would be grand.

Then I ran out of milk during a strict local lockdown and had to actually use the stuff and discovered just how wrong I had been :smith:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Speaking of milk products, anyone got any good suggestions on how to make a properly thick milkshake, cause I definitely have the process on making a good tasting one down, but I just can't get the thickness right

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

drrockso20 posted:

Speaking of milk products, anyone got any good suggestions on how to make a properly thick milkshake, cause I definitely have the process on making a good tasting one down, but I just can't get the thickness right

That's sounds good, I want a milkshake. Don't do this, but in my mind I am putting milk peanut butter and strawberries ito a Vitamix right now, maybe with some Flaxseed. How to thicken that would be a very good question. Also I am here to complain how hungry I am again, because I am in a rural town for another month and I haven't moved anything into my hotel I just sit here with no food available being hungry all night until the stores open at 6am.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If you have a high end blender you can use flax or chia seeds as a thickener. Don't be afraid of a little soy lecithin or xanthan gun either.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I canned all last weekend, and it was hot, and I was going to take a chill weekend. Then I saw a guy on FB selling 25lb boxes of tomatillos for $20 apiece.

Love me some salsa verde.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

In the meantime here are some ideas:
- habanero peach ice cream, first it burns and then the fat washes the heat away

Made this, A+ idea. My partner was dubious and at first said "I'll just have a small taste" but then got a bowl of it to eat, so it went down well.

"Fish sauce caramel" is still getting some odd looks but going to give it a go this weekend.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Speaking of habaneros, I had a bunch of them and was not interested in making more hot sauce or salsa since I have plenty of both. I wound up using some of them for pikliz and some of them for a mango shrub, but I still have maybe half a dozen left. I want to do something kind of unusual with them but I'm a little stumped. Cornbread...? I don't think gazpacho would be a weird use of the things but it might be a nice dish to say goodbye to the summer.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Enfys posted:

Made this, A+ idea. My partner was dubious and at first said "I'll just have a small taste" but then got a bowl of it to eat, so it went down well.

"Fish sauce caramel" is still getting some odd looks but going to give it a go this weekend.

If they like salted caramel they'll like fish sauce caramel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

How Wonderful! posted:

Speaking of habaneros, I had a bunch of them and was not interested in making more hot sauce or salsa since I have plenty of both. I wound up using some of them for pikliz and some of them for a mango shrub, but I still have maybe half a dozen left. I want to do something kind of unusual with them but I'm a little stumped. Cornbread...? I don't think gazpacho would be a weird use of the things but it might be a nice dish to say goodbye to the summer.
Candy them?