Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Riatsala posted:

:allears:

Been poking around in Dicey Dungeons again. This game gives greater depth to different player classes than many full fledged AAA RPGs, to the point that I play the game not because I'm in the mood for Dicey Dungeons per se, but because I want to play a deck builder or play a spell book builder or play a straightforward hack 'n' loot warrior.

Also bear run is loving hilarious

Yeah Dicey Dungeons has a LOT going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been complaining a lot about Arkham Knight, but one thing I like is when Memory Ghost Joker acts as a hint system. Like, he's always hanging around giving you poo poo, but it's nice when he's being an rear end in a top hat in a "hey, stop loving around and click on this doodad, dummy" kind of way :unsmith:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I finally had time to play more FF7R tonight and I’m pretty sure this dude Roche kickflipped his loving motorcycle :allears:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kanfy posted:

Another couple ones I came across in the Ivory King DLC of DS2. The message system genuinely adds way more to those games than it was no doubt ever intended.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Crosspost from the game's own thread:

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of kojima things, here's a neat little detail I haven't seen anyone mention which I just coincidentally got some footage of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_1C50Iyihg

If you manage to trigger a radio dialogue while one is already in progress, the caller will stop and clear their throat to make the transition between them sound a bit more natural. Other than this specific spot I honestly can't recall any other times where this could potentially happen!

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

*Beep beebeebeep* Sam.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
GODDAMMIT SKULL FACE YOU JUST TALKED TO ME WHAT IS IT

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In terms of game-feel how does Death Stranding measure between MGSV and Horizon?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hwoof. Doesn't really feel much like either. More like MGSV by virtue of being a Kojima game and having a similar equipment managing aspect. Plus the boss fights feel very like MGSV, but also not unlike Horizon's combat; however they're infrequent enough that they don't define the game for me.

Put it this way, when I think of MGSV I think of infiltrating bases and a bit of managing resources and a tech tree. Horizon, fairly standard open world action adventure (don't get me wrong, it's great). Death Stranding's core experience is more about the pure act of traversal. Strip the outposts from MGSV, or the robot enemies, settlements, sidequests and collectibles from Horizon, and make what's left really unexpectedly interesting and engaging, and you're getting close to Death Stranding, but it really is its own thing.

I'm not even getting into how the online aspect enhances both its gameplay and its story and themes. That's completely new.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've heard it's basically a truck simulator but on foot.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've heard it's basically a truck simulator but on foot.

This is a good description.. My wife says it looks like boring work most of the time but it's sooo fulfilling. Among other positive points.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
This is a really good video for articulating the 'game feel' of Death Stranding. It really is a hard game to compare to other games, but that also makes it very easy to understand on its own terms, once you get what it's going for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0QNBhnQ6gg

Basically, Kojima took his Kojima-level of attention to detail and love for weird, esoteric yet satisfying mechanics, and applied it to the act of hiking with a heavy backpack.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
if people didn't use it so pejoratively as to be useless, death stranding is the truest walking simulator

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

flatluigi posted:

if people didn't use it so pejoratively as to be useless, death stranding is the truest walking simulator

I want to see a video of someone playing that where there’s eye tracking set up to show where they’re looking. A ton of the game is scanning the path ahead of you to find your route and weighing options just like you’re on a tricky hike IRL.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

flatluigi posted:

Was just about to post this. It's the only walking simulator on the market at the moment, in the most literal sense of the word.

But yeah, a game where you actually have to make mindful decisions about your immediate path forward, not because of traps or enemies or anything like that, but just for, like, the topography of the terrain itself, is surprisingly fun. I wish the story was better written/paced, but I always wanted to play more of it, especially as you start getting more and more tools.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Not a video game, but I've started getting back into it outside of video games: I really like that Yu-Gi-Oh doesn't have any form of set rotation.

For people who don't know, most big TCGs (and a lot of TCGs that want to be big) include set rotation in their official rules, which means that only cards from the last few years are legal to play. Obviously it's mainly to get people to buy more new cards, but in theory it helps keep the game manageable, avoid (or at least temper) power creep, and gives them an escape if it turns out a new mechanic they came up with is terrible.

Yu-Gi-Oh is the biggest and oldest TCG that doesn't do this, instead preferring to maintain a banlist and card errata to restrain any cards that end up too powerful. And at first that looks like it's just caused immense power creep (which it kinda has, but not as bad as it looks at first), but it's also given the game a wonderfully distinct feel to come back to or look back at the history of. You can come back after fifteen years and see some familiar cards, just with new tricks alongside them. You can find out that hey, dinosaurs are still really good, they're just flashier! Summoned Skull's still kicking around and can do some wild poo poo now!

It also means that really obscure cards can find new life at effectively random times. Right now the whole scene's grappling with finding ways to handle a single extremely strong monster, and I've realized that my answer is a weirdo gimmick card from 2003 that turned up in like, three non-consecutive anime episodes.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 14:40 on Sep 3, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Probably helps that I bet Yu-Gi-Oh! relies a lot on branding and nostalgia, while Magic generally doesn't, and Pokemon just cheats by releasing new cards and variants for the same Pokemon in new sets.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Morpheus posted:

Was just about to post this. It's the only walking simulator on the market at the moment, in the most literal sense of the word.

But yeah, a game where you actually have to make mindful decisions about your immediate path forward, not because of traps or enemies or anything like that, but just for, like, the topography of the terrain itself, is surprisingly fun. I wish the story was better written/paced, but I always wanted to play more of it, especially as you start getting more and more tools.

The story isn't very well paced, but the way you put people on the network and get new gameplay features is a goddamn masterpiece of game mechanics pacing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Some friends of mine got into Yu-gi-oh, for whatever reason, and I had my old deck from high school laying around and there was surprisingly little I had to do to make it legal. It was able to mostly keep pace with the power creeped new stuff, too.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably helps that I bet Yu-Gi-Oh! relies a lot on branding and nostalgia, while Magic generally doesn't, and Pokemon just cheats by releasing new cards and variants for the same Pokemon in new sets.

It doesn't 'rely on it' so much as remains aware of it as a tool in its arsenal. Every so often they release new support for Dark Magician or Blue-Eyes White Dragon or something because they know people will buy it, and it is a welcoming thing to come back to that old game and see that your old standard still has some fight in it, and the most recent releases right now are some original-series throwbacks (the big terrifying card I mentioned is a Dark Magician fusion, the latest booster pack was focused on Gaia the Fierce Knight). But for the most part they're always very happy to introduce new ideas to spread out the pool a little, so that it's not just the old guard.

They also got really clever about the anime with those, too, by going for the Digimon approach. Every series has a new cast with entirely new deck themes and star cards that they can add to the game (which of course then becomes a new crop's nostalgic standard), rather than go the Pokemon angle of 'welcome to a whole new generation where we continue to push the same specific Pokemon and template starters/legendaries as the face'. I love Pokemon, but I'll give serious credit to Yu-Gi-Oh for avoiding the Pikachu And Charizard Problem.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cleretic posted:

It doesn't 'rely on it' so much as remains aware of it as a tool in its arsenal. Every so often they release new support for Dark Magician or Blue-Eyes White Dragon or something because they know people will buy it, and it is a welcoming thing to come back to that old game and see that your old standard still has some fight in it, and the most recent releases right now are some original-series throwbacks (the big terrifying card I mentioned is a Dark Magician fusion, the latest booster pack was focused on Gaia the Fierce Knight). But for the most part they're always very happy to introduce new ideas to spread out the pool a little, so that it's not just the old guard.

They also got really clever about the anime with those, too, by going for the Digimon approach. Every series has a new cast with entirely new deck themes and star cards that they can add to the game (which of course then becomes a new crop's nostalgic standard), rather than go the Pokemon angle of 'welcome to a whole new generation where we continue to push the same specific Pokemon and template starters/legendaries as the face'. I love Pokemon, but I'll give serious credit to Yu-Gi-Oh for avoiding the Pikachu And Charizard Problem.

Pokemon is more the exception here than the rule, I think, though there's not that much long-running toy commercial anime to compare it to. Mind you, you get the shonen problem where people get attached to the first cast and main character and tune out when they're not featured. (Dragon Ball and One Piece have this problem; viewers lose interest when Goku or Luffy aren't on screen for long enough, hence why the OP anime stopped adapting the other crew members' timeskip adventures as filler, and DB gave up trying to switch to Gohan as the protagonist despite a heavy push in the Buu saga) Especially since the new show's cast is basically just a slight variant on the stock shonen hero and supporting cast. (You can find success by mixing it up a little, like Digimon Tamers having either radically different kinds of characters from before or more nuanced exploration of their stock character types, but toy commercials don't like to take risks)

It's more that Pokemon isn't just the anime, with the games being the central focus, and the anime in particular mostly relegated to nostalgia at this point. (Though apparently they changed up the formula a lot recently)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

yo I'm really enjoying this discussion of card games and would like to contribute like the huge dork I am, but there's a thread that they could go in that needs some love:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3867124

It's been dormant since early last year but I think there's still lots of discussion to be had, no reason not to pump some life into it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
replaying Halo 2 for the Nth time because I just got the MCC... holy poo poo, i've been playing this game since it came out and I never knew the giant shield Sentinel robots could pick up vehicles and crush them until today. serious what the gently caress moment and surprised the hell out of me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the original Tony Hawk Pro Skater there was a mall level that was just pretty much a normal mall. In the remaster Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2 they redid the mall as run down, closed and completely covered in graffiti.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

In the original Tony Hawk Pro Skater there was a mall level that was just pretty much a normal mall. In the remaster Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2 they redid the mall as run down, closed and completely covered in graffiti.

I love the way they also did new models for the skater lineup and didn’t de-age them at all.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

bony tony posted:

The story isn't very well paced, but the way you put people on the network and get new gameplay features is a goddamn masterpiece of game mechanics pacing.

Also Kojima is loving great at picking music for his games - Man Who Sold the World, Dont Be So Serious, opbviously Asylums for the Feeling. I want him to abandon games and just make me mixtapes.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Also Kojima is loving great at picking music for his games - Man Who Sold the World, Dont Be So Serious, opbviously Asylums for the Feeling. I want him to abandon games and just make me mixtapes.

One of my favorite little things in Death Stranding is that most of the memory chip collectibles are just Kojima recommending media and other stuff he likes. You already get tons of background from interviews and emails, so instead he just went "Hey, this album/movie inspired me while making this game, check it out" on the optional game time padders.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I dig the fact that Control doesn't call attention to the Oldest House going non-Euclidean almost immediately. And building on that, I appreciate that Remedy puts effort into pacing things out properly, including the lore collectibles. By the time you've gone through the subtle intro stuff followed by the less subtle intro stuff, then you finally get a more formal explanation of what's going on, and then finally you get a joke about disappearing bathrooms. Alan Wake had the same kind of flow.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
In Avengers on PS4 your controller lights up different colors depending on who you're playing as. Like Hulk will light up green.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

John Murdoch posted:

I dig the fact that Control doesn't call attention to the Oldest House going non-Euclidean almost immediately. And building on that, I appreciate that Remedy puts effort into pacing things out properly, including the lore collectibles. By the time you've gone through the subtle intro stuff followed by the less subtle intro stuff, then you finally get a more formal explanation of what's going on, and then finally you get a joke about disappearing bathrooms. Alan Wake had the same kind of flow.

I appreciate all the control talking itt because even though I absolutely love weird scp stuff, and the game has awesome visuals and a nest story from the few hours I've seen, I just keep stopping after 45 minutes or so and then don't touch it for weeks.

The combat just hugely annoys me, I think.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

In Avengers on PS4 your controller lights up different colors depending on who you're playing as. Like Hulk will light up green.

ugh another playstation exclusive in this game? loving sony

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Nostradingus posted:

ugh another playstation exclusive in this game? loving sony

I offered to hide under your table and shine the appropriate color of flashlight at you, even at my own expense, but you never responded :shrug:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The arm workout dojo late in Ring Fit Adventure is called the Gunsho Temple :allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Son of Rodney posted:

I appreciate all the control talking itt because even though I absolutely love weird scp stuff, and the game has awesome visuals and a nest story from the few hours I've seen, I just keep stopping after 45 minutes or so and then don't touch it for weeks.

The combat just hugely annoys me, I think.

They had another update recently that adds all kinds of old school options that're basically cheats like invincibility, one-hit kills, damage reduction, faster energy gain, snap aim tracking and such so if you're really just interested in the story, fire it up again and tweak it till you literally cant die and steamroll everything at your leisure.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Control's aim assist is really cool, it's done with OG Halo 1 style bullet magnetism where the game will subtly draw your gunshots toward enemies in mid flight. It feels very fair because you run around like a bat out of hell in that game and are encouraged to never stop moving, which makes getting shots on the run hard to do without help. The accessibility cheats let you customize the bullet magnetism to any degree you want, meaning you can shoot straight at the floor and watch your bullets curve back toward enemies, it's so great.

edit: Bullet magnetism is imo the best form of aim assist out there, because it doesn't move your reticle without your permission. It really annoys me when games have aim assist that makes your crosshair slow down near enemies, drift toward them if you let off the stick, etc. I'm playing the game, not you! Quit trying to play it for me like you're my little brother wanting to be Sonic instead of Tails!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:21 on Sep 6, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Control

I love that one hidden area in the- Research sector I think?- where you hover up to a room and go through a door and turn on a radio and when you're distracted by that like 16 mold men start coming into the room behind you

I don't even think there's a file about that one, it's just a curveball with no explanation.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah that was in the central research area. The only thing that fits about it is that area is infected with mold. I think several hidden areas around there are. There are also lots of un-openable doors in that area so maybe they come from that.

On what CJacobs said: That makes a lot of sense lore-wise, too. The gun is sort of paranormal so it's not totally unbelievable that the bullets from it would inherit some of that.

I've been playing through Tomb Raider 2013 and I think it's using the same sort of aim assist. There are times where I'll shoot an arrow a little too far from a dude's head and it goes "EXCELLENT HEADSHOT +20"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
e: wrong thread

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well the whole building is made of extremely brutalist wall-to-wall concrete after all. Mold does love to gobble up concrete if you live in a humid and rainy climate like oh I dunno new york city the location of the federal bureau of control just as a random example haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I still go back and watch the 'Not Your Kind of People' MGSV trailer for this exact reason. It's really confronting when I realise that trailer is from 2013, I still feel hyped for the release when I watch it.