Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
How can I scroll in the Dynasty tree? There is a Pan to head option, and obviously closing some branches helps you see more, but I still can't find a way to view some of my distant cousins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Oh dear me posted:

How can I scroll in the Dynasty tree? There is a Pan to head option, and obviously closing some branches helps you see more, but I still can't find a way to view some of my distant cousins.

Middle mouse button and drag

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Communist Bear posted:

If he's served that well and loyally then change him, but give him a landed title as a gesture of goodwill toward his servitude? That way you offset any upset he has and you have a loyal vassal?

He's already a powerful vassal but I guess I could give him a gift of gold as a retirement present if I really want to commit to the roleplaying thing

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

fuf posted:

He's already a powerful vassal but I guess I could give him a gift of gold as a retirement present if I really want to commit to the roleplaying thing

Give him a gift of STABBING HIM IN THE BACK AND SLEEPING WITH HIS WIFE.

:twisted:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

shut up blegum posted:

How is this game? Played a ton of CK2 but didn't really keep up with all the dlc.
Also, how well does it run? Will it run on my crappy laptop? I see the map is huge now, so you probably need a p beefy rig to play it?

Everyone seem to like the game.

It actually runs better than CK2 and utilizes multicore processors better. But you need a much better GPU. An integrated video card won't do it. The requirements are
Graphics: Nvidia® GeForce™ GTX 460 (1GB) / AMD® Radeon™ HD 7870 (2GB) / Intel® Iris Pro™ 580 / Intel® Iris® Plus G7 / AMD® Radeon™ Vega 11.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TorakFade posted:

Can't really comment on innovation/culture stuff because I haven't played long enough yet, but that also seems to move at a very slow pace, especially when you're in a backwater like Ireland with low development. I mean, if discovering a focused innovation takes 40 years, it means I could only choose 10 in the whole game ... when there's like 15 in each of the 4 eras + any cultural/special ones for a total of 60+! I guess you're not supposed to have them all at end game, but I'd think you could snag about half of them at least. Maybe that's easier and they come faster in less lovely places like Italy or the HRE?

Oh dear me posted:

You can speed it up a lot with the Learning focus.

I really like the way they've done focuses, it's actually hard to choose between them.

This is true, but you also get innovations from past ages a lot faster. Dark age innovations can be acquired in like 5 - 10 years once you unlock the early middle ages, for instance.

Also, you'll definitely be gaining more development over time. And as Ireland you won't be staying on that island forever anyway, unless you're playing the world's most boring CK campaign.

As for the lifestyle stuff brought up, I get about 3 or so trees completed without exploiting anything with characters who don't live especially long (dead in their 60s), and this feels about right to me. Picking a specific path to focus on to the exclusion of others is kind of the point. And there's some very powerful stuff in there if you know where to look.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 3, 2020

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I never figured out how to play CKII and I can't figure out how to play this one.

The devs linked to some "instructional" videos from a community-darling CK streamer that everyone immediately gushed over or course, but the videos go at a billion miles an hour, seem super surface-level and are clearly made for fanboys of said streamer who already know how to play.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Mr Scumbag posted:

I never figured out how to play CKII and I can't figure out how to play this one.

The devs linked to some "instructional" videos from a community-darling CK streamer that everyone immediately gushed over or course, but the videos go at a billion miles an hour, seem super surface-level and are clearly made for fanboys of said streamer who already know how to play.

Did you try the tutorial? It's pretty good to get started, and then once you've done that you're free to just mess about. Ireland is good because it's relatively easy.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Mr Scumbag posted:

Wait a bit and some streamers will put out proper tutorial videos. I bet Quill18 will do a decent one.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So the Bishopric of Canterbury is worth around 60 raiding bucks at the earliest start date, are there any other locations like this with massively inflated values for raiding? Excluding Constantinople of course.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
is it just me or is it kinda weird that the achievements menu is a downgrade from ck2/eu4

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Traxis posted:

oh god, thank you, this was so annoying for me.

Qubee posted:

My ultimate goal was to have all of Ireland to myself, and then start conquering other lands that I can hand over to vassals / family members, and maybe even get a few of my brothers to be Kings for the family dynasty boost.

It's like a rat's nest of confusion. Murdering doesn't solve anything, as it just passes to their heirs. Marrying matrilineally to their heirs isn't possible, as they refuse to accept. Murdering their entire family line is the only possibility, but doing each Earldom would take centuries. There must be a more efficient way to do this that I'm just not seeing, right? Or is it all about setting traps that'll only get sprung 70 years down the line?

Holding all of Ireland as your personal domain is a bit much as you'll probably go way over your domain limit. Really having a couple of duchies and most of the land within them will usually be the extent of your personal holdings.

As for reclaiming land lost after death, you should have claims over a lot of it and you can always fabricate claims if you want, which allows you to revoke your vassal's territory without tyranny (though you'll probably have to beat them in a war or else have them imprisoned first). If they rebel and you beat them, you also get a free revoke. Make sure you've put your crown authority up to Limited or you don't get a revoke option.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Strategy question: I remember from CK2 that the best strategy was to set yourself up with as many holdings in your capital duchy (and ideally your capital county) as possible. Is that still the way to go, or are you better off having one holding each in a bunch of duchies to get as many duchy buildings as possible?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Traxis posted:

drat drat drat aaarggh. I have no middle mouse button.

Is there another way? I've tried all the combinations I can think of but perhaps I have missed one.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
having a gr8 time baybeeeeee

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Wait, what? :psyduck: We can play basically any culture or government type, as long as it's not a Theocracy or a Merchant Republic? (And for Nomads you play Tribal instead) Sorry for being a thousand years late on this, but I wasn't following the preview material closely, and I had just assumed we were going to be able to play Catholic Feudalism and Muslim.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Is there a way to raise just my household troops? Sometimes you just wanna fight off some raiders, and not raise 9000 levies

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The highlight of my first play was one of my vassal mayors – a 60-years old blind woman known not only for sleeping around, but also spending a lot of time in brothels. And she wasn't even Lustful!

Battles are now lethal like they never were. In CK2 sometimes you could have someone killed or maimed (unless they joined a warrior lodge and became effectively immortal). In CK3 one battle is enough to have several of your Knights killed or maimed.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Gantolandon posted:

The highlight of my first play was one of my vassal mayors – a 60-years old blind woman known not only for sleeping around, but also spending a lot of time in brothels. And she wasn't even Lustful!

Battles are now lethal like they never were. In CK2 sometimes you could have someone killed or maimed (unless they joined a warrior lodge and became effectively immortal). In CK3 one battle is enough to have several of your Knights killed or maimed.

The Bad Heir Removal process, patent pending

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I have spent a majority of my time playing Crusader Kings games as the Norse up in the Norway/Sweden/Denmark area. I kinda want to dip my toe into 867 Africa. I assume there's going to be a lot of religious wars/cold wars? What can I expect?

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I'm really not a fan of having rebellious populations use the faction system. I bit off too much land in a Spanish reconquista and because there's so many provinces with the same wrong culture/faith they all join the same faction. Every time the rebellion cool down ends they look at how strong their "faction" is and rebel again. I've had clockwork rebellions every 1-2 years for a century and it's hell.

The only way out of the cycle is to convert everything, a process that will take centuries. I feel like after they've been crushed 50 times they ought to consider themselves repressed because this campaign just isn't fun anymore. I could also give up on the land but it's frustrating that I *can* keep it because I can beat the rebels every year, but doing so isn't remotely fun or interesting.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Stokes posted:

I have spent a majority of my time playing Crusader Kings games as the Norse up in the Norway/Sweden/Denmark area. I kinda want to dip my toe into 867 Africa. I assume there's going to be a lot of religious wars/cold wars? What can I expect?

Yeah, currently covered in African politics over here in my current game. It is... brutal. It may be a coincidence, but the rulers appear very different to each other, most hate each other and they are VERY aggressive. I had three wars in the past five years to defend against and I'm still just a high chief. The religions are more or less intolerant to each other at start, but you also have a lot of room to grow and change this. Since reformation is very difficult here, expect to stay tribal for a long time. Religious wars are the most common ones, the guys here (including myself) don't care about laws or rules of engagement or de jure titles, we just bite each other out of principle.
Resources are generally rare, there are a thousand different independent counties and duchies, all with a few hundred terribly trained troops at best and we just throw them at each other and hope to win. I absolutely love it, way better than the usual Irish catholic start and just as wild as you would early medieval west African politics to be.

Edit: 7 wars now. I forgot to mention that your neighbors jump onto you all at the same time and if one declares war, others do so, too, even though they also have an ongoing war with each other. Time for mass enlisting mercenaries.

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 3, 2020

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Hey so here's a challenge for you.
867 start, pick Chieftain Jaromil in what is IRL northern Poland. He's independent but only count-level.

Try not to game over in, like, under 10 years.

I gave it a couple of shots but it's impossible, he's everyone's whipping boy but at the same time the conditions aren't right to swear fealty to anyone either.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Does anyone know in detail how the exclave independence settings work? I put mine at limited naval, but i am not sure if that got rid of the ai taking over counties a big ocean distance away. What would change with putting to significant for example?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Yeah it's great all the religions can intermarry and there's like thirty African religions now and they all hate eachother.

So my big empire got big enough that it partitioned into 3 empires and one of them is the wrong flavour of African pagan so I'm gonna start the great African war since until now I've been the biggest sister in the thunderbowl for 100 years.

Though I'm not sure if it's a seed thing or what but playing in Italy I was drowning in genius characters to marry, playing in Africa I've seen a single genius in a century and barely any intelligents. That gets a HMMM from me.

Before partition I could raise 45 thousand troops though and I can still do 30k after. You get stacks on stacks

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 3, 2020

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Nuclear War posted:

Is there a way to raise just my household troops? Sometimes you just wanna fight off some raiders, and not raise 9000 levies

you can place a rally banner where you want and go 'rally local levies' but that depends how built up that area is

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
So what's the point of the wild goose chase? Could something cool happen if you get lucky? Or is it just a way to waste my gold and wreck my mental health?

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Quantum Shart posted:

you can place a rally banner where you want and go 'rally local levies' but that depends how built up that area is

So no way to just call up my huscarls? Man, these raids are gonna bankrupt me

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Party In My Diapee posted:

Does anyone know in detail how the exclave independence settings work? I put mine at limited naval, but i am not sure if that got rid of the ai taking over counties a big ocean distance away. What would change with putting to significant for example?

In general both the AI and you are always able to acquire exclaves anywhere. What this changes is whether or not you get to keep it. On succession you (or the AI) cannot inherit a title you have on an exclave, depending on the setting. Off allows it to be inherited freely, naval means titles that de jure belong to a title you own are fine as well as exclaves that have a direct naval connection to a county of yours (although I'm not entirely sure what "direct" means in this context, I assume there's a range limit), significant means that there is no inheritance of exclaves at all period, so on succession the title will be lost. You can adjust it whether it's supposed to affect just the AI or everyone. All settings are achievement compatible though.
Afaik if you or an AI loses a title due to this effect, it either goes to the next higher ranking de jure character, or it selects or generates a random character in that county and lands it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

singateco posted:

Is there a real reason to appease mayors? The game keeps recommend it to me because they are 'powerful vessels', but they can't do poo poo to hurt me, right?

I haven't seen any reason to, really - I had one mayor that was constantly pissed off, so I started a scheme to sway him to me and that shut him up. He actually had pretty decent intrigue so after that I made him my somewhat-ineffective spymaster.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Patch 1.0.3 out!

quote:

Fixed various issues related to succession.

But what does it fix exactly?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

bewilderment posted:

Hey so here's a challenge for you.
867 start, pick Chieftain Jaromil in what is IRL northern Poland. He's independent but only count-level.

Try not to game over in, like, under 10 years.

I gave it a couple of shots but it's impossible, he's everyone's whipping boy but at the same time the conditions aren't right to swear fealty to anyone either.

Can't you like bend the knee?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Stokes posted:

I'm playing the Daura start, which is one of the pre-selected ones for 867 so it gets some extra events. Notably, you can switch to female-preference inheritance early on if you want.

Some things:
- There are a lot of independent duke and count-level realms, and like 4 different religions crammed into a tiny area. Everyone can freely raid everyone else. Everyone can declare conquest on everyone else for a mere 50 piety. There's a reason it's called African Thunderdome in thread.
- Since you're guaranteed to be Confederate Partition for most the game you will need to claw your way to a kingdom title to not fragment into independent dukedoms on ruler death, and then to an empire title to not fragment into independent kingdoms. Expect to have a couple of heirsplosions on the way when you didn't get your target title in time. Accept that your realm will be limited in size and you will not be ale to make a single blob controlling the entire continent until much later.
- As tribal you pay for your men at arms with prestige, your levies with money and you will be short on both. Raiding conveniently gets you both money and prestige.
- Defensive allies are absolutely necessary. Betroth your kids to suitable neighbors ASAP. Remember you need prestige to call in allies in offensive wars, but not defensive ones.
- On Seek Aid of the Spirits: the spirits are jerks, fyi.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

canepazzo posted:

Patch 1.0.3 out!

But what does it fix exactly?

they edited the post a few minutes ago:

quote:

Rewrote the order of succession system.
This fixes a variety of issue related to succession. Some examples include half-siblings from the wrong parent inheriting, distant relatives not inheriting, and some issues with who would inherit land in partition.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
Have they fixed the thing from CK2 where somehow groups A and B attack C, but under different casus belli, and split the targets? Neither A nor B can get high enough to win their respective war. The only way to win as a player A with a computer in B is to attack B too.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

alpha_destroy posted:

So what's the point of the wild goose chase? Could something cool happen if you get lucky? Or is it just a way to waste my gold and wreck my mental health?

:honk:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

ilitarist posted:

Can't you like bend the knee?

Jaromil doesn't have anyone to bend the knee to. His closest neighbours are either considered to be the same standing as him, or refuse him because he's of the wrong culture or faith or just plain isn't close enough.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
So I decided to start as William the Bastard, and I'm starting to notice some annoying things with the war AI. I was able to beat Godwinson with my Danish and French allies in 3 years, sure, but when I took over England and had to face Hardrada, it took another 6 years or something of counter-sieging and ping-ponging his armies up and down Britain. I just couldn't kill enough of his guys each time we met, so he'd run away, get his morale back up, then come roaring back to siege some poo poo while I was unsieging some town. That began to feel tedious, near the end. Was I just being inefficient? I hadn't spent money on mercs or MaAs yet, because I didn't know how things were going to go. It also seems like the real move for William is just wait until the Harolds fight each other a few times, then come in to hit the winner. Hmmm, where have I heard that one before.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

I'm not sure I fully understand the whole County / Barony thing. I played to many tribals starting out, and they usually have just one barony in each county. Then I started out as Count of Aachen, and didn't get why I had a Mayor as a powerful Vassal asking to be on my council.

If you own a county with serveral baronies inside, you still only get the full tax/levy from the county capital, and the other baronies are vassals ? Doesn't that mean a lot of tiny, useless vassals and their contracts to manage if you have a fully developed demesne ?

If you want to develop and build up, is it then better to focus only the main barony in several counties ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to revoke a duchy from someone without revoking all their other titles? Like in CK2 you could JUST revoke the duchy and assign it to someone else, but when I hover over a duchy title in the revoke screen it says that revoking it would leave them with no landed titles, which seems backwards (they only have one county and it'll let me revoke THAT, but they just take another one from one of their vassals).