Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Qubee posted:

Desperately save-scumming to figure out how I can quickly get my heir killed so it falls to the actual son I love with amazing stats. He also has a younger brother who is trying to claw away at titles. I think in the future, I'm gonna throw all excess sons into the meatgrinder that is Knighthood and pray they get wrecked.

my carefully groomed daughter of my second ruler unilaterally declared herself my marshal and ran headfirst into a mace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Eimi posted:

Once you get to normal partition it will at least stop doing that AND try and keep everything under one realm. If you're a double king or emperor you're still hosed but you can avoid making a title from then on out. It requires the cultural innovation Hereditary Rule iirc.

Ahhh that's what confederate partition* does then. Thanks

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
also if your realm splits in half you can still pulverize not-you losers because members of your dynasty will almost always join your wars

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah before you get to emperor having a few kings of your dynasty can be good for juicing up renown, it's like 3~ renown for being an Emperor and 1 per king so it works to the same.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

SubNat posted:

Someone mentioned it but I'm not 100% sure: There should be a crash folder in the game's folder, or in the save folder, where a backup of the latest save gets chucked in case of a crash.

You should be able to grab that, dunk it into your savegame folder, and continue on.

Only thing I've seen is that depending on what kind of upbringing/education you had, you'll have a notable boost to one specific type of lifestyle.
A ~3 star, Skilled Tactician gets a +30% boost to martial xp.

Also there are some events that just give you free level ups in your currently focused lifestyle type.
As a martial ruler I've had some mentoring and war events (like soldiers deserting.) that depending on outcome would give me a free perk/levelup.

THanks that worked!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

also if your realm splits in half you can still pulverize not-you losers because members of your dynasty will almost always join your wars

the running into a mace headfirst and getting not-you siblings dragged into wars has changed everything. I made the mistake of having a poo poo-for-brains son at the start of the game that I wasn't able to interfere with much, he's now become the defacto leader. I think I'm going to have to declare immediate war on someone I wanted to keep as a happy vassal (his stats were good and he's at 100 opinion, plus he has a friendly old man face) and have this heir run headlong into their army with 100 levies at his back.

At least I know that in the future, if I have annoying siblings with titles I want, I can just get them sucked into a war and obliterated that way.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I did the Hausa matriarchy start and I've ended up with a hoard of prestige but no money...

I am waiting for enough gold to come in to form the Kingdom title. I guess I'll keep raiding?

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

My wife cheated on me with our son.
I discovered this and - since I had enough on my plate at the time - agreed to keep it a secret.

And that's pretty hosed up.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I did the Hausa matriarchy start and I've ended up with a hoard of prestige but no money...

I am waiting for enough gold to come in to form the Kingdom title. I guess I'll keep raiding?

gotta say I'm real pleased that one of the most popular starts of CK3 is a matriarchal African pagan

it's also my start

Anyway, park your steward in Daura improving development Forever, see if you can ramp up a stewardship ruler, and yes, raid the pants off nerds to your north and west.

also always ransom your war prisoners if the victim can afford it, and you're going to generate a big pile of war prisoners because African Thunderdome

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

JosefStalinator posted:

Ahhh that's what confederate partition* does then. Thanks

Once you change succession law you can destroy additional kingdom titles if you need to.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Some dumb questions:
  • Is there any way to get notifications when, say, my son has a kid? I apparently became a grandfather twice over and didn't even notice.
  • How do I increase the quality of my troops? I was at High quality and called up some men-at-arms, but it didn't seem to do anything.
  • What does it mean when some of the borders on the map start glowing purple?

For 1, I don't think so? You can pin your son as a a character of interest but I'm not sure if that's just a quick way to click them.
For 2, it's just a rough estimate of an army's unit quality proportionally to its size with levies at the bottom, knights (or equivalents) at the top and men-at-arms somewhere in the middle depending on their exact type and strength (like Armored Footmen are higher quality troops than Light Footmen). Adding enough knights is how you get armies considered top-quality, generally.

Can't recall purple borders off-hand.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is it supposed to be that Hungary just joins Khazaria?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

gotta say I'm real pleased that one of the most popular starts of CK3 is a matriarchal African pagan

it's also my start

Anyway, park your steward in Daura improving development Forever, see if you can ramp up a stewardship ruler, and yes, raid the pants off nerds to your north and west.

also always ransom your war prisoners if the victim can afford it, and you're going to generate a big pile of war prisoners because African Thunderdome

Agreed with all of this but with one more note - you can arrange it that your daughter becomes heir of both kingdoms at start. Once that’s done, you just spend forever developing your two provinces so that when they inherit it all (for me it was until my leader was late sixties) they get a really wealthy base.

Also remember that your men at arms are fueled directly by prestige - it’s a lot of men if you make em big!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Did it used to be possible to fabricate claims on your vassal's territory in CK2? Because it's so incredibly useful in 3, just free revocation to clean up your personal duchy.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

What the hell, I as Leon am allied with Castille in a war against Galicia. I saw a Castille army defend Leon from one of their armies while I was sieging A Corunna, but when my army got near a Castille army in Galician territory they fought and I lost like half of my army. Is this a bug?

edit: Ah another goon in discord told me it's because I didn't call them into battle, and since they are also independently at war with Castille we'll fight

MelancholyMark fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Sep 3, 2020

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Chalks posted:

Did it used to be possible to fabricate claims on your vassal's territory in CK2? Because it's so incredibly useful in 3, just free revocation to clean up your personal duchy.

Yep, you could, but a better method since holy fury was just getting in good with the pope and requesting claims. I've only been able to do that once so far in CK3, and it was after befriending the pope.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Another way around the confederate partition - do elective for both kingdoms, and get them to vote for your heir.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

How does succession work for Daura? Why is my half sister the heir and not my son? I get that it's equal genders but why not my child?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

man I'm just sitting here vibing to the main menu music haven't even started the game proper

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Started as Munster, reunited Ireland. Went all mad king in my 60s power grabbing as much as possible for my heir. Welp son died in his prime (murdered IDK?) and kid grandson takes over when I kicked the bucket. Vassals start getting really troublesome so I'm buying them off with nice things wondering if I can maintain my rule when Pope comes to the rescue with a crusade which we win. Now everyone likes me thanks to massive piety and prestige boost. Also I have a pet kitty and doggy AT THE SAME TIME :hellyeah:

Still only 12. Hoping for a really long rule and maybe setting the foundations of a Celtic empire.

Loving this game! CK2 wasn't half as good at explaining mechanics (who inherits what? who gets what stuff after a war? gently caress if I know). So I felt lost in fiddly detail rather than enjoying the bigger picture.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
This game causes such massive conflicts between my autistic desire for "make number go up" and my human aversion to being mean to people.

My 70 year old marshall vassal has been serving me well for decades, but there's this new kid in town with way better stats... I really wish there was a "throw retirement party" option so I can send him home gracefully to enjoy his retirement. I can't bring myself to fire him.

I also haven't done a single murder scheme yet lol

A couple of things I wish there were ticker popups for:
* When a vassal starts an internal war
* When a vassal dies

Is there any way to control / influence who your bishop is? Or does it just spawn a random character when the old one dies?

It feels weird that you still have mayor-level vassals even when you're at king and emperor level. It makes sense in terms of the title hierarchy but feels beneath an emperor to be dealing with a mayor. I guess they become mostly irrelevant at that point.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Chalks posted:

Not free if you get found out! I was doing that with my old king and welp vassals found out. -50 opinion for all vassals is rough! Wasn't so bad for the old king because everyone feared him but he died not long after and as everyone hated him you get a big -ve opinion to his heir. Luckily it decays fast but it was rough for a while.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

JosefStalinator posted:

Man, they fixed the little trick in gavelkind where you just don't create another kingdom title to avoid losing them.

Is there some way around this, or can you not expand any further from one Kingdom until you get promigeniture?

I am in a nice situation where i as king of Norway invaded Sweden, but the old king remained titular king with some territory outside the kingdom. I assume his title will be eventually destroyed since he doesn't own any de jure land, but until then i only have one kingdom title so it can't be split between my sons.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wait, does doing elective get overriden by confederate partition? For some reason my second son is inheriting my primary title, and the first son getting my secondary title and religious head. The gently caress?

EDIT: No it's going to a random nephew for some reason

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Man, head of the faith gets so hosed by confederate succession. I guess you can't keep being the pope of your own religion anymore?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
So is the strategy just to build up one giga-province that you always keep and then have as many 1 province vassals as possible until Primogeniture rolls around? Even setting all your duchies and higher titles to Tanistry or whatever doesn't affect the counties which get strewn about.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I haven’t been able to play much but what’s the problem with your realm splitting? Don’t you get claims on your old stuff like in ck2?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

[*]What does it mean when some of the borders on the map start glowing purple?

I think they use various different colours to show the borders of different people's holdings, could that be what you're seeing? One of them looks like an electric pink on my screen but could maybe be purple for you.

E: Oh, if you have a character's sheet open their holding may get the same effect (colour varies, but there is white border as well).

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 3, 2020

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I haven’t been able to play much but what’s the problem with your realm splitting? Don’t you get claims on your old stuff like in ck2?

The point is you don't just expand indefenetely.

There's also a confederate partition or something. If you have land of 3 de jure duchies/kingdoms but don't actually create those titles your 3 sons will become 3 independent dukes/kings. Titles would be created automatically.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Sep 3, 2020

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm starting to think that going full on Lifestyle trees is a trap. There are many one point wonders in every tree, and you can easily get 2 in a 5-6 year period even without education traits:

- Dip into Strategist and grab -50% CB cost and +15% speed.
- Overseer has +15 dread and some extra control as first perk, which is nice and has synergies with other things.
- For example, the Stewardship - Avaricious tree that can get you -50% cost of Men at Arms with high Dread for 3 perks. Golden obligations is a nice source of money if you're a Schemer.
- For a single point in Administrator you get the Claim Throne Casus Belli, which can be useful sometimes.
- The Schemer tree is all around great, but even the first one, Truth is Relative, is very useful.
- Like weeds in a Garden is a +30% fertility, for a single Intrigue point.
- 2 points in Torturer makes the Torture action "free" and a very easy way to get 100 Dread. 6 and you get +15-30% income from most of your vassals.
- Learning trees seem more tail-heavy, Learn on the Job is a big stat increase but requires 7 points, and the other trees are pretty situational.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

ilitarist posted:

There's also a confederate partition or something. If you have land of 3 de jure duchies/kingdoms but don't actually create those titles your 3 sons will become 3 independent dukes/kings. Titles would be created automatically.

Ahh thanks, I spent ages staring at the descriptions trying to understand the difference between Confederate Partition and Partition and now I can see why Confederate Partition would be worse in certain situations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm starting to think that going full on Lifestyle trees is a trap. There are many one point wonders in every tree, and you can easily get 2 in a 5-6 year period even without education traits:

- Overseer has +15 dread and some extra control as first perk, which is nice and has synergies with other things.
- For example, the Stewardship - Avaricious tree that can get you -50% cost of Men at Arms with high Dread for 3 perks. Golden obligations is a nice source of money if you're a Schemer.
- For a single point in Administrator you get the Claim Throne Casus Belli, which can be useful sometimes.
- The Schemer tree is all around great, but even the first one, Truth is Relative, is very useful.
- 2 points in Torturer makes the Torture action "free" and a very easy way to get 100 Dread. 6 and you get +15-30% income from most of your vassals.
- Learning trees seem more tail-heavy, Learn on the Job is a big stat increase but requires 7 points, and the other trees are pretty situational.

but my roleplaying

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

game rules, but has anyone figured out a way in modding to stop the Christians from annexing all of Iberia by the mid 1100s, and to stop the HRE from exploding into independence 5 years into every game? a border gore mod would be fantastic, like CK2+ used to be. having Holy Wars only being able to be declared on bordering nations for instance, and less weight on the AI to do this if they're French would be ideal here. i get France going down into Iberia and annexing incredibly ugly snakes throughout it most games. funnily this was an issue in CK2 on release as well

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 3, 2020

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Zeron posted:

The x more for interactions is annoying and could be adjusted to shove only interactions you currently can't do in there.

I'd like some kind of log, some of the messages just go by too fast/when you are too busy to look.

Really agree with both of these

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The HRE exploded 5 years into my game, and 80 years in West Francia is united, Lotharingia is two duchies, and Bavarian Karlings have taken over East Francia. Italy is border gore. Seems fine to me.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

fuf posted:

This game causes such massive conflicts between my autistic desire for "make number go up" and my human aversion to being mean to people.

My 70 year old marshall vassal has been serving me well for decades, but there's this new kid in town with way better stats... I really wish there was a "throw retirement party" option so I can send him home gracefully to enjoy his retirement. I can't bring myself to fire him.

If he's served that well and loyally then change him, but give him a landed title as a gesture of goodwill toward his servitude? That way you offset any upset he has and you have a loyal vassal?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

gently caress vassals, I have been scratching my head figuring out how to destroy their claims so I can have most of it to myself. When I was playing as the father, I was at 10.9g/m, but then succession happened and now all the Earldoms that were mine have been passed onto vassals that give me tiny slivers of what I could be getting. I'm currently earning a pittance, around 3g/m. My ultimate goal was to have all of Ireland to myself, and then start conquering other lands that I can hand over to vassals / family members, and maybe even get a few of my brothers to be Kings for the family dynasty boost.

It's like a rat's nest of confusion. Murdering doesn't solve anything, as it just passes to their heirs. Marrying matrilineally to their heirs isn't possible, as they refuse to accept. Murdering their entire family line is the only possibility, but doing each Earldom would take centuries. There must be a more efficient way to do this that I'm just not seeing, right? Or is it all about setting traps that'll only get sprung 70 years down the line?

Qubee fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Sep 3, 2020

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

fuf posted:

but my roleplaying

Fair point. Play the game you want to play, ofc.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
How is this game? Played a ton of CK2 but didn't really keep up with all the dlc.
Also, how well does it run? Will it run on my crappy laptop? I see the map is huge now, so you probably need a p beefy rig to play it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

Here's another new player question as I learn more about this... I'm trying to understand how dynasty interacts with me the player. Assume you have a powerful lord out in the world with an unmarried heir son. I marry my daughter to him and negotiate matrilineal succession (via a hook probably). Then they have a son. Is my grandchild now the heir to this county? What does this even mean for me?
yes. inheritance is the trickier but more fruitful way of getting huge territory in comparison to fabricating claims or whatever. another, probably more frequent, procedure, is marrying a foreign princess for an alliance and then using the offspring of that princess to gobble up your former alliance partner. female inheritance is a bit trickier and depends somewhat on a kingdom's laws however. inheritance is also always a double edged sword: your marriages are future opportunities but also future vulnerabilities since they also open up claims to your own holdings.

Fat Samurai posted:

mix and matching is probably to be preferred, yeah. if you want to focus, though, the stewardship lifestyle is i think close to an all purpose default solution for especially when your character isn't so great. golden obligations from avaricious as said is a huge money-maker. a bunch of administrator focuses are also huge. meritocracy allows you to usurp your ruler. likable, positions of power, and a number of others, do huge work to keep your vassals happy. defense measures in architect, last of all, is a cheap and easy way of slowing down attackers. you can't perform as many clever tricks with these but the base level wealth and stability they provide can be make or break.

Zane fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 3, 2020