Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

ErrEff posted:

I know that Clint Hocking has talked about Brexit being the inspiration for the setting of Legion, and he does openly address politics as being part of the game's setting, but IMO Ubisoft is very much trying to walk the line and afraid to take sides.

Everything I've seen of Legion points to it being "political" in a purely aesthetic sense. The authoritarian government has no ideology other than "we're in charge" and the protestors/activists have no ideology other than "those guys are bad". Its the most milquetoast liberal non-statement they could possibly make while cloaking themselves in the trappings of a modern resistance that they simply don't identify with or understand. One of the activists you can recruit is an MI5 agent ffs.

ufarn posted:

Everyone knows the hardest problem in videogames is letting players indulge in their war criminal fantasies in an inclusive and progressive way.

https://twitter.com/netscape_negro/status/1298746240213987330

Exhibit loving A. They're like aliens trying to understand human behavior but only by reading twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Im so glad my petty hatred of Ubisoft for over a decade has now become warranted and justified
gently caress those stupid tasteless assholes running that shithouse.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

lol the villains in the Rainbow Six novel were mostly characterized as being concerned about the environment and vegan, so in a way, they really are honoring valor thief Tom Clancy

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Famethrowa posted:

lol the villains in the Rainbow Six novel were mostly characterized as being concerned about the environment and vegan, so in a way, they really are honoring valor thief Tom Clancy

i liked a few of Clancy very early books in the "sorta interesting cold war(i guess back then current day) tech thriller pulp sense but his books grew dumber and dumber and than 9/11 snapped his brain and his and his ghost written books got loving ben shapiro level bad. rainbow six was one of the bad ones when the cold war was over and he had to invent new big monsters for america to be scared of other than soviets or the some IRA splinter group.

gently caress, i fogot the IRA are in that book too. lol.

i am a broken person so i like some of the clancy games and the cod games. but gently caress that mobile chud poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 30, 2020

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Mamkute posted:

I'm the conveniently not mentioning the systematic failures in governments that allow tens of thousands of preventable virus deaths.

It's better, the trailer goes out of it's way to say the government is corrupt and then asks you to want to protect it.
It's the same tone deaf dissonance as the canceled rainbow six game.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i liked a few of Clancy very early books in the "sorta interesting cold war(i guess back then current day) tech thriller pulp sense but his books grew dumber and dumber and than 9/11 snapped his brain and his and his ghost written books got loving ben shapiro level bad. rainbow six was one of the bad ones when the cold war was over and he had to invent new big monsters for america to be scared of other than soviets or the some IRA splinter group.

gently caress, i fogot the IRA are in that book too. lol.

i am a broken person so i like some of the clancy games and the cod games. but gently caress that mobile chud poo poo.

there's a certain enjoyment in escaping to a moronic and simple black and white world. the problem is that eventually you realize that the viewpoint is one sincerely held by the authors.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

At some level I think even if they start off not seeing the world in those simplistic terms they end up that way. A combination of exposure and ageing.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Everything I've seen of Legion points to it being "political" in a purely aesthetic sense. The authoritarian government has no ideology other than "we're in charge" and the protestors/activists have no ideology other than "those guys are bad". Its the most milquetoast liberal non-statement they could possibly make while cloaking themselves in the trappings of a modern resistance that they simply don't identify with or understand. One of the activists you can recruit is an MI5 agent ffs.
Sooooo basically Ghost Recon: Breakpoint? I also distinctly remember the 'politics' of Assassin's Creed: Unity...

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah the main villains of Legion are a corporate private army that runs things.

I wouldn't be surprised if the plot ends with restoring the old government even though it led to the dystopia.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The E3 trailer for WDL featured a riff on the Niemoller "first they came" quote plus the actual line "Welcome to the Resistance."

Everything about Ubisoft's storylines for these seems focus tested to all hell.

Well except for the games in the turbofascist marquee franchise directed by the CEO's son I guess

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Everything about Ubisoft's storylines for these seems focus tested to all hell.

The youtube comments for the WDL trailer were full of chuds that identified with the activists and saw the authoritarian government as communists, so ... yeah. They made an explicitly non-political world that looks kinda like politics so that everyone can project their own ideology on to the game world and it won't alienate any demographic segments that might buy the game.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
It’s a bit wild seeing people saying that “it’s just a fist” and that people are reaching hard for connections when they’re probably the same people who complain about politics in games if a character is gay or a woman has muscles.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

they know exactly what it means and they like that it's in there

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The youtube comments for the WDL trailer were full of chuds that identified with the activists and saw the authoritarian government as communists, so ... yeah. They made an explicitly non-political world that looks kinda like politics so that everyone can project their own ideology on to the game world and it won't alienate any demographic segments that might buy the game.

wait what? i mean the big bad of that game is clearly a chud of some type. like he is basicaly englisn eric prince. https://youtu.be/nGBrGqXILgM?list=PLpwyzkZha0Z6-PxvhRLxoxNCmUrsEfnTF&t=291 yeah even here its focus tested to gently caress and back and its not gonna be wolfenstein TNC. though much like WD2 i suspect it will have a vaguely progressiveish bent. even if blunted and focus tested to hell and back. but my main thing is like how the gently caress are chuds dumb enough to watch the trailers and think "yeah i am the good guy in this game"

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 30, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

It’s a bit wild seeing people saying that “it’s just a fist” and that people are reaching hard for connections when they’re probably the same people who complain about politics in games if a character is gay or a woman has muscles.

they are bad faith "good faith" gaslight troll poo poo. its always like that with the chud troll types.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wait what? i mean the big bad of that game is clearly a chud of some type. like he is basicaly englisn eric prince. https://youtu.be/nGBrGqXILgM?list=PLpwyzkZha0Z6-PxvhRLxoxNCmUrsEfnTF&t=291 yeah even here its focus tested to gently caress and back and its not gonna be wolfenstein TNC. though much like WD2 i suspect it will have a vaguely progressiveish bent. even if blunted and focus tested to hell and back. but my main thing is like how the gently caress are chuds dumb enough to watch the trailers and think "yeah i am the good guy in this game"

Yeah, its pretty typical of chud behavior and it was youtube comments so that was like the worst of the worst and I don't know why I keep subjecting myself to them. I was just pointing out that ubisoft made it very easy for people to project their lovely ideologies onto the game by being purposefully vague. I'm sure the game will have some nods to mainstream liberalism and identity politics stuff but I'm also pretty sure it won't take a stand on anything that really matters for fear of turning off potential chud players.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

Control just came out on Steam and in the first 48 hours I saw threads posted in the discussions complaining about the main character looking like Anita Sarkeesian, her unattractive manly jaw and "forcing female protagonists into games".

This poo poo is everywhere now, whenever a high profile game comes out the chuds always have salvos of the same tired talking points ready to fire.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ErrEff posted:

Control just came out on Steam and in the first 48 hours I saw threads posted in the discussions complaining about the main character looking like Anita Sarkeesian, her unattractive manly jaw and "forcing female protagonists into games".

This poo poo is everywhere now, whenever a high profile game comes out the chuds always have salvos of the same tired talking points ready to fire.

i mean why bother caring what the chuds think, they don't buy this poo poo anyway and they always have some scorching moron opinion.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Twitch finally is doing something about this creep.
https://twitter.com/StreamerBans/status/1300937982770319372?s=19

I'm guessing this bio is no longer accurate.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 2, 2020

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
He is their director of strategic partnerships. He used his authority to coerces sex.

https://twitter.com/VioTCZ/status/1276159021184176129

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Apparently MikeZ laid off everyone else at Lab Zero who didn't quit and is now refusing to pay them severance.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

C.M. Kruger posted:

Apparently MikeZ laid off everyone else at Lab Zero who didn't quit and is now refusing to pay them severance.

Just came here to post this. Persona is talking about it on twitter.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
what a loving baby, jesus christ

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

RIP Skullgirls. A great game but drat MikeZ is an rear end in a top hat.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
We'll always have Big Band...oh wait, no we won't?

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Famethrowa posted:

there's a certain enjoyment in escaping to a moronic and simple black and white world. the problem is that eventually you realize that the viewpoint is one sincerely held by the authors.

I admit that I am a sucker for “Footloose Dystopia” media. Stuff like Equilibrium where the government wants to outlaw fun and while making the world look like a brutalist skatepark. It is disappointing, though, when people’s’ politics are so underdeveloped they actually believe that e.g. the USSR wanted to ban partying or some other nonsense.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

jimmydalad posted:

RIP Skullgirls. A great game but drat MikeZ is an rear end in a top hat.

Apparently he or his company doesn't own Skullgirls so the IP will live on without him.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Clarste posted:

Apparently he or his company doesn't own Skullgirls so the IP will live on without him.

Correct. It seems like the people who own the IP is hiring up the people who are leaving Lab Zero Games, so Skullgirls will likely continue unchanged.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

What does this mean for Indivisible, though? That game is still waiting on the guest characters.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
https://twitter.com/personasama/status/1301237982532231168

Mike Z keeps on being just the greatest boss ever.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Takoluka posted:

What does this mean for Indivisible, though? That game is still waiting on the guest characters.

505 Games own the IP, but apparently from what I can find consider it a financial flop so it might not see further development.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

505 Games own the IP, but apparently from what I can find consider it a financial flop so it might not see further development.

not shocked. its one of those games that sold enough and had a interesting concept/art design/etc to get a decent following but not enough to actually sell well.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Watching the Jimquisition of the Tom Clancy bullshit reminds me just how bad that trailer was. I refuse to believe that the higher-ups didn't see the incredibly obvious BLM symbol and the whole Umbra situation as conspiracy theory nonsense. It's so blatantly bad.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

jimmydalad posted:

Watching the Jimquisition of the Tom Clancy bullshit reminds me just how bad that trailer was. I refuse to believe that the higher-ups didn't see the incredibly obvious BLM symbol and the whole Umbra situation as conspiracy theory nonsense. It's so blatantly bad.

That's not even BLM. That's Black Power and it dates to the '60s.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

jimmydalad posted:

They very much see it and agree with the politics presented in the game. What makes it obvious is that there is a clear example of a form of this conspiracy that is very real - except its right wing. Why would Ubisoft choose to target popular movements to make the world a more just and equitable place when there are literally armed, fanatical right wing militias getting backing from powerful, moneyed interests? Because in their eyes, only one of these things is ideological (making the world better) and, therefore, bad. It comes down to the people in charge at a billion dollar media corporation don't feel threatened by the armed, racist yahoos but do feel threatened by the growing anti-capitalist sentiment that's happening right now.

I think there's also a component of this that's taking advantage of the current tendency for fiction to be written as "morally gray". Sympathetic villains and unlikable protagonists. This sort of framing works very well for the ideological right since they can use it to frame objectively bad people as well-intentioned but misguided or, in this case, objectively good people as secretly bad. I recently read some article that pointed out that a lot of modern sci-fi seems to be based around "technology run amok" themes where tech billionaires are good people who just couldn't see how their inventions could turn out to be so dangerous. The article points out how this gives the illusion of complexity and depth but the reality is that tech billionaires are monsters motivated by money and power and are largely unapologetic about it. The reality is that the world is often more black and white. I think media companies exploit this to tell stories that obfuscate reality and its become normalized to the point that I just read a review for the movie Emperor - a story about an escaped slave that fights at Harper's Ferry with John Brown - where the reviewer was complaining the slavers were depicted as too evil. This was in the New York Times. This idea has been really sticking with me lately, probably because covid has me engaging in more media than normal and it feels like I'm seeing it everywhere now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

not shocked. its one of those games that sold enough and had a interesting concept/art design/etc to get a decent following but not enough to actually sell well.

It is more that it was released unfinished. Like "characters didn't have all their attacks" unfinished

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

I recently read some article that pointed out that a lot of modern sci-fi seems to be based around "technology run amok" themes where tech billionaires are good people who just couldn't see how their inventions could turn out to be so dangerous. The article points out how this gives the illusion of complexity and depth but the reality is that tech billionaires are monsters motivated by money and power and are largely unapologetic about it. The reality is that the world is often more black and white.

One of the things that I loved about Horizon: Zero Dawn was that this didn't happen. Not-Elon Musk not only is directly responsible for ending life on earth, but he clearly has to be bullied into doing the one thing that gives it a chance to come back. And even after doing that, he chooses to blame knowledge rather than take responsibility for his terrible ideas and choices, and in so doing he nearly dooms the planet all over again.

Of course, that was a non-Ubisoft game.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

morally grey works fantastically for small scale interpersonal conflict and is often extremely severely bad when applied to system level conflict in 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Stux posted:

morally grey works fantastically for small scale interpersonal conflict and is often extremely severely bad when applied to system level conflict in 2020

i think my deal is less that "things should be grey", but it should be fleshed out. i want my villains and heroes to have reasons and motivations that even if i don't agree with, i like to see how they came to their conclusions and why someone would follow them/etc. that i think like new vegas is pretty fleshed out like yes Caesars legion are very clearly baddies but you can sorta understand why caesars does his stuff as deluded and stupid as is and where his plans fall apart, same with bioshock 1 and 2. Ryan is an evil selfish gently caress but i can understand why he became like that and how his philosphy hosed his utopia in the end "...but they all forget that somebody's gotta scrub the toilets" and other such stuff. so like if you can write black and white but fleshed out very well, then go at it.

on other topic.
Ubisofts stories are mostly paperback airport fiction(alot of AAA games have stories like that mostly), which i enjoy and sometimes has some interesting ideas but outsider AC, they never really do anything with it and they need to clean there poo poo up.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Stux posted:

Yeah, and I'm not trying to imply that morally grey storytelling is bad in and of itself. Some of my favorite movies, games, books, etc feature flawed protagonists and sympathetic villains with complex motivations. Usually, when done well, it creates a real tension in the narrative between protagonist and antagonist. One example that stands out in my head as being well done is in Princess Mononoke. The primary antagonist in that film is very sympathetic and it creates incredible narrative tension, imo. I just think its used cynically in a lot of cases and Ubisoft is one of the worst offenders. See: every Farcry game after at least 2 (I don't remember what 2 was about, could also be bad).