Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
https://twitter.com/athenaforall/status/1300843099430825984

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

If they said "katana required" then we'd have the job listing for a corporate samurai in a cyberpunk novel.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

We need to bring back the rule against perpetuities.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://twitter.com/doctorcube/status/1300953606221422594

i've got some replies with video clips of me experimenting with it. it's pretty stunning

it looks like it is now possible, with the right antenna and receiver setup close enough to an iphone, that you can listen to _both_ sides of a phone conversation - on or off speakerphone.

why yes sir here's your private meeting room with some niiiice high back chairs

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

i've got some replies with video clips of me experimenting with it. it's pretty stunning

it looks like it is now possible, with the right antenna and receiver setup close enough to an iphone, that you can listen to _both_ sides of a phone conversation - on or off speakerphone.

that's loving amazing. going back to the days of old school phone phreaking hackers with this one

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

David House, a DMV spokesman, said there's a good reason for the department's anti-hat protocol.
"For our facial recognition software to work, we need people to remove any hat or facial gear that obscures their face," House explained.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/portland-wins-wear-fox-hat-oregon-license-photo-article-1.2564433

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

this is why you grow a giant karl marx beard before any ID pictures are taken

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Jonny 290 posted:

this owns so much

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
keep having a recurring thought about a future career: helping people that unknowingly got into a long term relationship with an ad bot

"you shouldn't have to purchase three extra Disney plus subscriptions to prove your love to anyone"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

I don't get it. If you're playing something on the speaker can't people listen in by just... listening?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

The Lone Badger posted:

I don't get it. If you're playing something on the speaker can't people listen in by just... listening?

People also misunderstanding FCC regs... They mainly make sure you don't emit tons of signals you're not supposed to and that you're not hardened against interference unless you're allowed. This kind of leakage they don't give two fucks about, unless it was somehow strong enough to listen to at great distances.

This seems scary but I'll bet the radio has to be pretty much next to the phone, making it effectively worthless. In other words, someone just found out their electronics are noisy as hell

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pnumoman posted:

that you're not hardened against interference unless you're allowed.

I spent the last half hour trying to find out if the FCC makes hardened electronics illegal for some reason, and I can't find the answer. Many people are just as confused as me. Is the military the only people who are allowed to make electronics hardened against interference? Why? :tinfoil:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Rutibex posted:

I spent the last half hour trying to find out if the FCC makes hardened electronics illegal for some reason, and I can't find the answer. Many people are just as confused as me. Is the military the only people who are allowed to make electronics hardened against interference? Why? :tinfoil:

Because it would make it harder to suppress the working class in case of a revolt.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Rutibex posted:

TBH, it's technically causes no harmful interference to services and accepts all interference from any source. So while it's intended to mean, "your device should work even if there's normal interference from poo poo like weather and the like, and not just poo poo itself," it's worded so that you gotta go hat in hand if you want a hardened device. And as for why it's worded the way it is? :tinfoil:

Edit: just so we're clear, we're talking EM interference and it's not like that kind of hardening is illegal, it just needs to be licensed or something. And I'm no expert on this stuff either so feel free to correct me.

pnumoman has issued a correction as of 15:10 on Sep 3, 2020

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I am watching an hour long video about something called the omegaverse, where a fan-fic doctor who fucks werewolves or something. there was a ten minute segment on dmca takedown notices and one of the authors involved in the lawsuit is claiming she 'invented rape as a literary device'.

someone tried to patent 'cocks'.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Lone Badger posted:

Looks like with the right radio you can play someone's iPhone call a few metres away, like maybe the other side of a wall. Or the room above them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rutibex posted:

“This device must accept an interference that may cause an undesired operation” is just a disclaimer that you’re using unlicensed spectrum and if it gets noisy, you have no recourse.

Neighbor’s wifi keeps opening your garage door? Suck it up.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Splicer posted:

Looks like with the right radio you can play someone's iPhone call a few metres away, like maybe the other side of a wall. Or the room above them.

And you could probably increase that distance with a directional receiver and a high-gain amplifier.

Though now I'm wondering what prevents someone from doing this normally by monitoring the bandwidth that cell phones are supposed to broadcast on. :confused:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gods_Butthole posted:

And you could probably increase that distance with a directional receiver and a high-gain amplifier.

Though now I'm wondering what prevents someone from doing this normally by monitoring the bandwidth that cell phones are supposed to broadcast on. :confused:

Cryptography?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Do you think the signals are encrypted though?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

upgunned shitpost posted:

someone tried to patent 'cocks'.

uhh I think I know what you're talking about and it was more about using "Cocky [Vocation]" as a template for naming books
y'know, implying that the love interest has both a forward personality and a massive dong but keeping it pg-13

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Intellectual Property is so loving stupid. Just get rid of it, all it does is cause problems and employ lawyers.

Artists can be paid via patreon

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Maybe Intellectual Property should be a thing, but it shouldn't be transferable. So the artist can benefit from it but they can't sell it to Disney or whatever.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Gods_Butthole posted:

So the band negativland and later another called scanner used to do exactly this. Negativland would sample intercepted phone convos, scanner did a whole live show of mixing with whatever they could find on airwaves at the time. I imagine subsequent generations of phone service have made this harder but still not particularly difficult to a dedicated actor with proper equipment.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

Do you think the signals are encrypted though?

They are. It's not great encryption (128-bit A5/3 last I checked), but it's enough that you can't trivially read every sms message in real time.

Police, feds, state actors, bored teenagers with a decent botnet, can definitely muster up the resources to crack your calls though.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

chairface posted:

So the band negativland and later another called scanner used to do exactly this. Negativland would sample intercepted phone convos, scanner did a whole live show of mixing with whatever they could find on airwaves at the time. I imagine subsequent generations of phone service have made this harder but still not particularly difficult to a dedicated actor with proper equipment.

That is insanely cool

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

Intellectual Property is so loving stupid. Just get rid of it, all it does is cause problems and employ lawyers.

Artists can be paid via patreon

The system is hosed, but much like so many other things the solution isn't just No System

People should be compensated for meaningful work at least until we have UBI and etc

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

christmas boots posted:

Maybe Intellectual Property should be a thing, but it shouldn't be transferable. So the artist can benefit from it but they can't sell it to Disney or whatever.

I would find this acceptable, as it would also destroy Disneys business model. Every single voice actor and modeler and background artiest owns the rights to their particular portion of a Disney movie. Disney can license the art, but the artist can always revoke their license and prevent Disney from selling their movies until they pay adequate compensation for the mountain you drew in the background of Mulan.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Power, in the hands of the workers?! Can't have that, comrade.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

it's funny how many leftists still think UBI is a great idea and not something that will allow for the creation of a concrete permanent underclass

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
that sounds like a really good way to eliminate all art or entertainment that requires the work of more than one person

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
intellectual property? negativland? a little dog named snuckles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6gPSSYxex0

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/TB_Times/status/1301542985860034560

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Blockade posted:

Police, feds, state actors, bored teenagers with a decent botnet, can definitely muster up the resources to crack your calls though.

Seriously, use Signal. Even if you think you have nothing to hide (lol), do it on principle. Free, essentially no setup required and works just like you'd expect for texts/calls/videocalls, and still has the cryptography chops to keep major governments out of your communications. Snowden and Schneier both approve of it.

https://signal.org/

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

the milk machine posted:

that sounds like a really good way to eliminate all art or entertainment that requires the work of more than one person

Nope, just look at wikipedia or linux or star trek fan movies. People collaborate for free, they like working together because its fun.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wheeee posted:

it's funny how many leftists still think UBI is a great idea and not something that will allow for the creation of a concrete permanent underclass

oh we better avoid anything that might cause that, wouldn't want an entrenched underclass

UBI is largely shorthand for "you have a place to live, food to eat, healthcare, and walking around money just for being a human because we aren't loving evil" you can argue the particulars all you want

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

just read this, absolutely infuriating.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Wheeee posted:

"creation" of a concrete permanent underclass

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

no UBI? no permanent underclass! bing bong simple!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Marzzle posted:

"creation" of a concrete permanent underclass

what he means is UBI will allow the underclass to continue to live. if they all die they are no longer "permanent"