Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Fellow Pistol Whippers, what is your recommendation for how to get into adding custom songs and stuff? I have RockSmith and it's a breeze, but I saw poo poo about having to rename files and blah blah blah and that sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Why does the 3080 have 10gb of vram when the 1080ti has 11?

My semi-educated guess is the $400 difference between the respective tiers, faster memory, and 10gb of vram likely not being a bottleneck unless you're doing some wacky 120hz 4k gaming or something like 8k.

We still need benchmarks though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I have a hardware query, related to Wifi.

Virtual Desktop is warning me that my wifi is 400mbps so the performance may be degraded. I'm already selecting my 5ghz wifi ssid to connect to the Quest (different name than the 2.4ghz). I tried a wifi app in my smartphone, called "wifi speed test", and also says 'link speed: 400 Mbps'.

My router is a Zte f680, and this the 5ghz setup

(the mode ends in 802.11ac)

Everything seems fine in that regard.

I have searched specs on internet, and the router is supposedly 'AC1750'.

So, what gives?
I read the Quest should be able to connect up to 866mbps.

EDIT: Fixed by forcing the bandwidth to 80mhz. I will leave this here in case anyone has some day a similar problem.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 2, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

rage-saq posted:

So STRIDE is super good even just from playing Endless mode. Endless mode coming Friday in Early Access.
Here's my best run from last night https://twitch.tv/videos/728490703

Are you in a private beta or similar?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Turin Turambar posted:

Are you in a private beta or similar?

Creator beta

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There are a lot of worlds that are just asset-rips from games for the novelty of exploring them. One of my favourites is the entire house from Chibi Robo, at Robo's scale, and the creator used the Chibi Doors to put a different Chibi Robo avatar in each (Most are different costumes, but there's ones for Telly and the family too). There's even a bonus one for finding them all around the house.

I downloaded it and they were like "log in with your steam or your vr chat account" and that's already a weird blocker, just log me in as my steam already!

Tried to do steam and it asked for my birthdate. HMMM. So I entered it, but it was like "fill out ALL the information!" but all it was asking me for was my birth date, and I did...

so that's already a brick wall. I guess I'll go create a vrchat account but I'm kinda skeeved out by this already. I just wanted to load up a solo room so I could check out the VR spaces I don't want to talk to people

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nocheez posted:

Fellow Pistol Whippers, what is your recommendation for how to get into adding custom songs and stuff? I have RockSmith and it's a breeze, but I saw poo poo about having to rename files and blah blah blah and that sucks.

You don't really. (unless ive missed some new mod, but i swear we were waiting on melon loader and something else)

you can replace audio files, bout it. itll still be the same maps and enemies tho.

We've been bugging the devs about it since OC6, They said they had a plan, I've seen nothing about it internally really. At least not being worked on to a major degree. I do know they are being bothered non stop tho. :)

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 2, 2020

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zaphod42 posted:

I downloaded it and they were like "log in with your steam or your vr chat account" and that's already a weird blocker, just log me in as my steam already!

Tried to do steam and it asked for my birthdate. HMMM. So I entered it, but it was like "fill out ALL the information!" but all it was asking me for was my birth date, and I did...

so that's already a brick wall. I guess I'll go create a vrchat account but I'm kinda skeeved out by this already. I just wanted to load up a solo room so I could check out the VR spaces I don't want to talk to people
Any titles that support cross-play inherently have to have some kind of independent account system, otherwise the whole system falls apart when two different users have the same username on different platforms.

Telling it to log in with your platform is just associating that platform ID with one of the game's accounts so the creation process will still be mostly the same other than whatever info they can just pull from the platform account.

As far as just wanting to get in a room on your own, that's perfectly reasonable but that's not really what VRChat is about at all so it's not exactly shocking that they haven't gone out of their way to support your use case.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Are there any chill driving games for the quest? I guess pcvr is fine too. I’m thinking something like outrun.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

EbolaIvory posted:

You don't really. (unless ive missed some new mod, but i swear we were waiting on melon loader and something else)

you can replace audio files, bout it. itll still be the same maps and enemies tho.

We've been bugging the devs about it since OC6, They said they had a plan, I've seen nothing about it internally really. At least not being worked on to a major degree. I do know they are being bothered non stop tho. :)

I have something to tell them, something that they won't like. (poo poo's been stuck in my head all day!)

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

veni veni veni posted:

[Until you Fall] is one of the ones I picked up and after about an hour my first impressions are extremely good. It might have some potential to get repetitive, I'm not sure yet because I suck at it and can't beat the first boss lol, but oh man, this is how you do sword combat in VR. And I wasn't big on the synthwave neon retro style on paper but it's so good in action. Really it just feels polished as all hell and whoever developed this game really knows what the gently caress is up with how VR games should feel.

TBH after ditching Asgard's Wrath because of the awful combat and playing Skyrim exclusively with Magic to avoid how lame the swords are, it had me kind of questioning how good sword combat could be in VR. And it turns out, it can actually be really good. Anyways, at 10 bux this feels like a steal.

Played for a bit and I completely agree, the first impression is awesome. It's also the first game that has me worried about breaking stuff IRL; those daggers have an awfully short range and I fear I might get carried away with the slashin' and the stabbin'.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
If you had 50k to build the best VR flight sim lab (and things related)

What would you buy?

I’ve got a grant proposal due on Friday and I need ideas.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Im thinking about double dipping on Saints and Sinners while it’s on sale, since I liked it but the controls were just terrible with PSVR move controllers. Is it safe to assume this is not the case and it controls well with the oculus touch?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

When you create an instance of a world you want to visit, just make it invite-only rather than public so nobody else can potentially join.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

If you had 50k to build the best VR flight sim lab (and things related)

What would you buy?

I’ve got a grant proposal due on Friday and I need ideas.

You could hit 50k pretty quickly here: https://www.virtual-fly.com/en/

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

veni veni veni posted:

Im thinking about double dipping on Saints and Sinners while it’s on sale, since I liked it but the controls were just terrible with PSVR move controllers. Is it safe to assume this is not the case and it controls well with the oculus touch?

I played through with the OG Rift and the movement was very intuitive to me, although I haven't used PSVR to compare it to.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Are there any (steam) VR games that encourage side to side movement but not front to back? Soundboxing is a good example, but ideally I'd like something with more side-to-side movement. Walrus is almost the only song mapper in Soundboxing who forces me to move enough and I've played all his songs a million times. Even just Soundboxing but different would be good.

I know Beatsaber is the obvious suggestion, but I don't want to give Facebook money or be tied into their ecosystem.

I'm looking for games that will help motivate me to move and exercise a little without moving so much that I bump into the chairs (and people) at the computers behind me. My VR room is also the family computer room. This worked really well before COVID since I was the only one working from home and was able to get my exercise in while everyone else was commuting. Now there's always someone else in the computer room and I'm getting fat and lazy without VR to motivate me to move around.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LLSix posted:

Are there any (steam) VR games that encourage side to side movement but not front to back? Soundboxing is a good example, but ideally I'd like something with more side-to-side movement. Walrus is almost the only song mapper in Soundboxing who forces me to move enough and I've played all his songs a million times. Even just Soundboxing but different would be good.

I know Beatsaber is the obvious suggestion, but I don't want to give Facebook money or be tied into their ecosystem.

I'm looking for games that will help motivate me to move and exercise a little without moving so much that I bump into the chairs (and people) at the computers behind me. My VR room is also the family computer room. This worked really well before COVID since I was the only one working from home and was able to get my exercise in while everyone else was commuting. Now there's always someone else in the computer room and I'm getting fat and lazy without VR to motivate me to move around.

Pistol Whip involves a decent amount of movement, you end up pretty out of breath and sweaty even though it doesn't seem like it should.

V-Racer Hoverbike has you leaning left and right to control a hovering motorcycle, but I'm not sure if that's what you want, maybe?

AudioShield? Basically Beatsaber but not facebook. Guess soundboxing is probably similar haven't played that one.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Seconding the Pistol Whip rec for this. It get's me moving my whole body more than say, Beat Saber. You're constantly shifting around dodging bullets and occasionally sidestepping walls, especially on the Hard mode.

You said Steam, but I'll go ahead and recommend Dance Central on the Oculus Store just in case it looks appealing to you. I don't know about reVIVE since I'm on a Rift S but it's nice in that it basically just gets you dancing on the beat. I have trouble with Beat Saber because it's not REALLY a rhythm game, it doesn't judge your timing at all really, and it feels weird to do for extended periods. DC is really well done, and even gives a bit of like social catharsis in that it puts you in a club full of people, which is pretty novel during COVID. I really prefer the mainstream pop soundtrack to beatsaber's endless list of custom meme songs too.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Hot Squats 2

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Steam data for August

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Nth-ing pistol whip. You're going to do a lot of dodging and squatting with that one.

Also Thrill of the Fight if you have enough room to not throw a right hook through your TV

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Why does the 3080 have 10gb of vram when the 1080ti has 11?
I guess, why does it have a 352bit bus?

I would think it is just a factor of the processors, bus widths on the cards and, what ram chips physically exist. For example that 320bit bus divided by 10gb = 32. While 352bit bus on divided by 11gb also = 32.
6gb/3gb cards seem to be 192bit bus and 4gb/8gb ones 256bit. While the 384bit bus of the 3090 gave the option of 12 or 24gb of ram.

Presumably the number of processors determines where the card will position in the range and how that fits nicely into all of the above, or you end up with another gtx970 situation.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lol Oculus:

They make a trailer called 'Echo VR | Quest Trailer' and the use the Rift S footage...

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
It's probably against the purpose of the thread, but does that no-VR mod for Alyx work? I don't have the cash for a headset, but I'd like to try it.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Cross posting from the GPU thread here but...

AirRaid posted:

Haven't seen this article posted -

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-provides-further-details-on-geforce-rtx-30-series

NVidia answered a bunch of questions on Reddit clarifying a couple of things, such as why the Cuda Core count suddenly doubled, and a few other things. Nothing mind-blowing but some interesting bits.

In that link they mention dlss 2.1 features, including VR support. Wonder how long till we see a game with that. Dlss requires the engine to support taa which normally is bad for VR, but if you output an image that gets supersampled down it could work

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Boz0r posted:

It's probably against the purpose of the thread, but does that no-VR mod for Alyx work? I don't have the cash for a headset, but I'd like to try it.

It’s not worth it. There game is designed to be fun in a VR headset, and without one it would be buggy and pretty boring, with awkward level design and simple weapons. Problems like the simple AI and low enemy variety are also way more problematic outside of VR.

Brownie fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 3, 2020

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Brownie posted:

It’s not worth it. There game is designed to be fun in a VR headset, and without one it looks jacket and pretty boring, with awkward level design and simple weapons. Problems like the simple AI and low enemy variety are also way more problematic outside of VR.

Yeah, slow shambling zombies that come at you in groups of 3 at max is a challenging fight when you have to actually aim and fumbling a reload costs you vital seconds.

When you can just point the crosshairs at them and reloading is just a button press it becomes boring.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

LLSix posted:

Well if it helps I'm planning on getting back into Soundboxing for the fall once it cools down. Let me know if you have any song requests.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I would also agree with other that pistol whip is good, but I find the most exhausting way to play is to try NOT to move. Try playing a level with your feet planted and dodge only through squats, and hip and upper body movements. It gets you sweating.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I doubt the effect of Alyx is as good without a headset, as the immersion and real feeling is what makes it shine. Looking down at your hands in VR and the fingers clenching as you grip the knuckles is pretty loving amazing. The above poster saying that fumbling a reload is not lying. When it's your last mag that you just slammed into your piece and you hit the release button again while a zombie is about to tear into you, you feel more "real" terror than in any other game you've played.

Also the gravity gloves are a pretty sweet workaround from having to pick everything up manually. It just feels right.

The Walrus posted:

I would also agree with other that pistol whip is good, but I find the most exhausting way to play is to try NOT to move. Try playing a level with your feet planted and dodge only through squats, and hip and upper body movements. It gets you sweating.

This. My glutes are on fire after 3 days of playing, but it feels great :D

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

HL Alyx without VR would be a incredibly disappointing game. Hell, even with VR I made a point about that, when I wrote about it, it was really a fairly unambitious FPS. Lots of sewers/metro stations, not that much enemy variety (did it really need 3 variations of headcrabs?), it's very lonely, you see briefly 4 npcs in the whole game, no vehicle sections, no sections accompanied by a colleague, very few weapons, and except two places, no standout ambitious set pieces.

It was really a cutback Half Life, despite claims of being a 'full game, 15 hour experience' like other HLs. The length was close yes, the variety of the experience was clearly less.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 3, 2020

marumaru
May 20, 2013

alyx in pancake would be really mediocre. it's quite a simple game by non-VR standards.

e:

Turin Turambar posted:

HL Alyx without VR would be a incredibly disappointing game. Hell, even with VR I made a point about that, when I wrote about it, it was really a fairly unambitious FPS. Lots of sewers/metro stations, not that much enemy variety (did it really need 3 variations of headcrabs?), it's very lonely, you see briefly 4 npcs in the whole game, no vehicle sections, no sections accompanied by a colleague, very few weapons, and except two places, no standout ambitious set pieces.

It was really a cutback Half Life, despite claims of being a 'full game, 15 hour experience' like other HLs. The length was close yes, the variety of the experience was clearly less.

^^^

marumaru fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 3, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It's also why I'm pretty sure it was profitable because I doubt a lot the budget for the game was super high. Also, I don't believe it was a lack of competence or ambition from Valve, just a calculated move, as they knew it wouldn't sell as much a non-VR game.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Turin Turambar posted:

Honestly, headcrabs are the perfect type for enemy for something like Alyx. Tiny, fast, yet has periods of not moving for you to take aim.

And now that I think about it, would Alyx's weapons even work on a flat screen mod without making custom animations for everything? They might just slap in some HL2 weapons and call it a day, which would further trivialize the game.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

BisbyWorl posted:

And now that I think about it, would Alyx's weapons even work on a flat screen mod without making custom animations for everything? They might just slap in some HL2 weapons and call it a day, which would further trivialize the game.

That's the first thing people did since the weapons still exist in the game's code and you can just type in some console commands to spawn them in. At first, the associated assets were missing but I think people have modded them back in.

I loved HL:A perhaps more than many other people in this thread (I liked killing headcrabs, and thought the set pieces were amazing), but I really do wish it had more enemy variety, especially with the Combine. And I wish the Combine enemies that are in the game were a bit more mobile and intelligent. (The boys with the miniguns just standing around was a bummer).

I'm hoping all their talk of "not being afraid of Half Life anymore" isn't just bluster and that they come out with a sequel in the next few years that refines the existing experience and adds more variety.

Has anyone checked out the content on the HL:A workshop? I've been meaning to but haven't gotten around it it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Turin Turambar posted:

Eh, I've beaten every half life and feel Alyx is the best in the series. It works so perfectly in VR that it makes 1 and 2 feel like they were supposed to have been in VR in the first place.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zero VGS posted:

Eh, I've beaten every half life and feel Alyx is the best in the series. It works so perfectly in VR that it makes 1 and 2 feel like they were supposed to have been in VR in the first place.

I've said this before, but Half Life's (and its wave of early/mid-00's imitators) physics puzzles really feel like their time has come in earnest with VR. The basic stuff like see-saw ramps and counterweights (Or tossing debris to make a path across Antlion-infested beaches) were neat in the early 2000's using a mouse to simulate holding things with your hands, ("Pick up that can! :cop:") but with VR you can actually do those things intuitively. A proper VR version of Half-Life 2 would be amazing, aside from potentially-barfy vehicle sections.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Boz0r posted:

If you can't find a friend who has a headset to borrow, just watch a Lets Play of Alyx instead. You'll get all that you would from trying to play it with a non-VR mod.

As others have tried to say, (but I swear this isn't just gatekeeping), so much of Alyx's design REQUIRES motion controls. Its not the VR headset, its the motion controls that make VR what VR is. All the things the Wii promised about motion controls that ended up being bullshit, they are real on a VR system. The motion tracking is highly accurate. So the entire game is designed to use that:

Guns have to be held in your hand, manually aimed, and manually reloaded.

Grenades have to be tossed in an arc from your hand.

You can pick up objects, rotate them around, even crush soda cans in your hand.

In a non-VR mod you'd just press the E key and move on, there'd be nothing to do. It'd be the same as just watching a LetsPlayer do it for you.

Turin Turambar posted:

Super strong disagree. Its easily the best VR game we have and most polished. It definitely feels like a full half-life game to me.

When was the last time you played HL1 or HL2? Its real easy to get rose-tinted glasses about them. Do you think adding a boat section to Alyx would make a huge difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Super strong disagree. Its easily the best VR game we have and most polished. It definitely feels like a full half-life game to me.

When was the last time you played HL1 or HL2? Its real easy to get rose-tinted glasses about them. Do you think adding a boat section to Alyx would make a huge difference?

Massive disagree with the first half of that sentence and massive agree with the second. It's definitely the most polished and the world with the best environments with the most detail and heart, but I'd argue that it's extremely conservative with the way it handles most VR interactions and that keeps it from being an all around "best." It does some things incredibly well and other things thoroughly mediocrely.