Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Now that Bowsette is officially over, where will you be sending your horny energy?
This poll is closed.
Melinda Rust (née Megamelons) 13 5.86%
Twitch streamers 9 4.05%
VTube animes 27 12.16%
Any of the other –ette monstrosities 10 4.50%
[Lie] I don’t get horny. 54 24.32%
Other (Bowsette) 93 41.89%
Now that I'm an IK, I can make my own option 13 5.86%
David Crossup 1 0.45%
Bob PSPGodenkirk 2 0.90%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Now I kinda wish the Gigaleak had collected stuff all the way through 2019 so that in one of the info-drops we eventually get confirmation that Mario Battle Royale was a thing they were already working on even before they shut down that one guy's game.

Because I know that's already a discourse. I haven't even checked but I'm sure that's already something people are arguing about elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Now I kinda wish the Gigaleak had collected stuff all the way through 2019 so that in one of the info-drops we eventually get confirmation that Mario Battle Royale was a thing they were already working on even before they shut down that one guy's game.

Because I know that's already a discourse. I haven't even checked but I'm sure that's already something people are arguing about.

Anywho, now that the direct is out, it's time to find the most unhinged and outrageous take on it from Reddit.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I said come in! posted:

It is disappointing to see Nintendo lose so much steam with the Switch so suddenly. Granted COVID probably had a lot to do with that but all of their major 1st party new titles have just kinda disappeared. I would bet all of the big new games from them are planned for end of the Switch life or launch titles for the next Nintendo console.

I can't see a whole new console coming any time in the next three years at the very least. Maybe upgrades or revisions but the Switch is going to be around for a while.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I have to assume that Nintendo will release a new game eventually

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Smash Ultimate, and Animal Crossing updates are keeping me happy for now anyways.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i mean its def covid, i dont think we should be surprised. us publishers carrying on is because the us is completely buck wild in how theyre treating it and shouldnt be taken as a good and normal approach.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Mario Galaxy 2 slaps and its exclusion from the 3D collection is criminal. :mad:

The SMB battle royale looks neat, though.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is the 3d remake covered by Nintendo online vouchers

E: the 3 in 1

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

:rip: mario galaxy 2 :911:

Also gently caress taking games away after 6 months. Wtf nintendo

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mario 3d All-stars + 3D World Deluxe = Metroid Prime Trilogy rumour is also confirmed.

Any day now

Annnnyyy day

Real hurthling! posted:

Also gently caress taking games away after 6 months. Wtf nintendo

They'll release them separately later for a marked up price :ssh:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Infinitum posted:

They'll release them separately later for a marked up price :ssh:

Hopefully they will anyways. We don't actually know. Being the consumer whore I am that didn't want to risk it, I pre-ordered right away. Nintendo is not shy about making things limited time.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

I said come in! posted:

Anywho, now that the direct is out, it's time to find the most unhinged and outrageous take on it from Reddit.

Okay now that I've seen some of 'em I'll give a take.

I fukkin' love it how you'll see some upset fans say, "Nintendo didn't use to be like this, not when Iwata was in charge now they're all about the money."

Like I dunno about that one dude. I dunno about that one and also you using someone who passed away to try and prop up your point that just makes it even worse I think?!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the new game nintendo will release this holiday is Pokemon Super Sword and Super Shield or w/e. don't they always do that for every gen

i do appreciate that no one actually expects BOTW2 to come out this holiday like they originally claimed

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
We can use this to figure out when the PS5 is coming out. What is the standard time between promotional Doritos bags and console release?

https://twitter.com/PS5Updates/status/1299843292499243010?s=20

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

al-azad posted:

I wonder if they'll fix the terrible controls of Mario Sunshine where the vertical look force inverts when aiming.

These are literally just roms so no

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

untzthatshit posted:

I've been giving Blasphemous another shot since the free DLC came out last month and it's like a completely different game. Originally my biggest issues with were that the combat felt sluggish, your hit box seemed to be literally any pixel of your character, and most excruciatingly if you died on a pit of spikes, the game would spawn your ghost corpse on the pit of spikes! All that's been fixed, plus adding NG+, new bosses and areas and NPCs and now you can warp between "bonfires" which is great. The game is actually fun now instead of being a total slog.

Then this morning I found this article about how the game was originally written in Spanish but only released in English because they ran out of money to hire two sets of voice actors. But now! they've been able to add in the Spanish version which is really cool.

Also you can pet a dog

This was all fixed in free DLC too, so if you tried Blasphemous before and had the same experience I had, it's definitely worth going back and playing again now.

Heh I finally sat down and finished it a few weeks ago, literally days before the DLC dropped, so I was tired of it by that point and didn't have a live save. I also learned that seeing the alternate ending requires you to literally 100% the game, including all the optional/missable NPC encounters and one fight that you get exactly one chance to do (unless you abuse cloud saves), so gently caress that.

Weedle posted:

this post combined with the fact that it's 50% off for the next hour, apparently, got me to impulse buy it. i hope it's good. if i like dead cells will i probably like it?

It's not really comparable to Dead Cells or HK IMO, it's much closer to a 2D Souls. You don't have the speed or maneuverability or way to tear through a huge horde of bad guys, everything is slow and deliberate and timing-oriented.

The main things I liked about it were the art and the boss designs, some of which are really wild.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gripweed posted:

We can use this to figure out when the PS5 is coming out. What is the standard time between promotional Doritos bags and console release?

https://twitter.com/PS5Updates/status/1299843292499243010?s=20

(Look up the terms and conditions. They'll promise delivery of a console by a certain date [Or have clauses for In The Event Of])

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

the new game nintendo will release this holiday is Pokemon Super Sword and Super Shield or w/e. don't they always do that for every gen

i do appreciate that no one actually expects BOTW2 to come out this holiday like they originally claimed

they usually do but this time theyre just doing an expansion pass instead which is a lot better than "buy the same $60 game again for 95% the same content" and is actually adding more than the second releases normally do

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Grapplejack posted:

These are literally just roms so no

What evidence of that do you have

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SeXReX posted:

What evidence of that do you have

Mario 64 was 4:3

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Happy to have Mario 64 on Switch, but was really hoping for more than just a screen ratio change, and included soundtrack. When you get right down to it, this a very overpriced bare minimum port of these three games. Nintendo took no effort to do this.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Sad we won't get essays about how the remaster uses the wrong style of construction for peach's castle

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

untzthatshit posted:

I've been giving Blasphemous another shot since the free DLC came out last month and it's like a completely different game. Originally my biggest issues with were that the combat felt sluggish, your hit box seemed to be literally any pixel of your character, and most excruciatingly if you died on a pit of spikes, the game would spawn your ghost corpse on the pit of spikes! All that's been fixed, plus adding NG+, new bosses and areas and NPCs and now you can warp between "bonfires" which is great. The game is actually fun now instead of being a total slog.

Then this morning I found this article about how the game was originally written in Spanish but only released in English because they ran out of money to hire two sets of voice actors. But now! they've been able to add in the Spanish version which is really cool.

Also you can pet a dog

This was all fixed in free DLC too, so if you tried Blasphemous before and had the same experience I had, it's definitely worth going back and playing again now.

I bought Blasphemous last week when it went on sale and I love it. It's so good. So, so, so good.

Weedle posted:

this post combined with the fact that it's 50% off for the next hour, apparently, got me to impulse buy it. i hope it's good. if i like dead cells will i probably like it?

I like Dead Cells too, but there's not much in common between the two games besides being side scrollers. The combat in Blasphemous is much more deliberate than the light speed combat of Dead Cells. Enemies take lots of hits and will have to wait for windows of opportunity against some enemies. If you like metroidvanias, exploring cool settings, and piecing together a weird story by reading items and having cryptic chats with NPCs the game is for you.

I'm guessing I'm a little over half way, and at what I'm assuming is the half-way point, there is a really fun boss fight. I loved everything about it. The bosses and enemies all have really cool design.

I'm rambling. But I'm rambling because I love it.

It's a real good game.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

haveblue posted:

It's not really comparable to Dead Cells or HK IMO, it's much closer to a 2D Souls. You don't have the speed or maneuverability or way to tear through a huge horde of bad guys, everything is slow and deliberate and timing-oriented.

The main things I liked about it were the art and the boss designs, some of which are really wild.

That's true, like I doubt Blasphemous is going to have a whole scene of youtubers doing ridiculous speed-runs like Hollow Knight does.

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm guessing I'm a little over half way, and at what I'm assuming is the half-way point, there is a really fun boss fight. I loved everything about it. The bosses and enemies all have really cool design.

I think that's the boss I'm at right now, on the Calvary Bridge. It's a drat good fight - and I love that this game always puts a save point before a boss so there's no running past enemies for 5 minutes to get back to the fight you just lost.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't think those games are just a flat rom, they would have to address the lack of analog controls for Sunshine and motion controls for Galaxy.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

untzthatshit posted:

That's true, like I doubt Blasphemous is going to have a whole scene of youtubers doing ridiculous speed-runs like Hollow Knight does.

I think that's the boss I'm at right now, on the Calvary Bridge. It's a drat good fight - and I love that this game always puts a save point before a boss so there's no running past enemies for 5 minutes to get back to the fight you just lost.

Yep. I really appreciate it cutting out the bullshit and eliminating boss runs. If I had to run for 2 minutes back to the bridge my opinion of that fight would have been much different. But since you respawn ON THE BRIDGE, it was super easy to get back into that brawl. What a good fight. The music, the setting, the boss design, and all the new attacks that come out as the fight progresses.

I really had a lot of fun with spells on that fight too. The fast attack spell and spinning orb shield spell were awesome. Block that assholes whirlwind attack so that the knock back sends you in the direction he's going, and once he's done spinning just unload into him with one of those spells active. There was a lot going on and it was very fun to manage.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Start my day off uncanny by listening to the Gamespot podcast where someone was talking about how they would put peanut butter and nothing else on a single slice of bread and fold it up... at the exact moment I was putting peanut butter and nothing else on a single slice of bread and folding it up

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i already really liked blasphemous so ill have to try out the new stuff sometime

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The bread is just filler, I just eat spoonfuls of peanut butter.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

al-azad posted:

The bread is just filler, I just eat spoonfuls of peanut butter.

I cannot believe my dog is posting here without my knowledge.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've eaten some kind of bread product with peanut butter and banana pretty much every day of my life for the past 5 years.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Motto posted:

I mean in terms of release schedules. Animal Crossing has done insanely well, but even with that I assume it looks bad to say you released one game early the previous year then mostly coasted.

animal crossing did so well that even without covid, Nintendo could have still said gently caress 2020 LOL and just move everything back tbh

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Jason Rohrer released a new game last night where you can talk with an AI with any number of personalities and baked-in backstories/histories. It apparently uses the OpenAI GPT-2 neural network, like AI Dungeon. I don't know what I'm talking about, I don't know what these words mean, and I don't even know what this game is supposed to be exactly. In typical Rohrer fashion it's probably best if you figure it out for yourself. http://projectdecember.net/

Jason Rohrer posted:

Summary: Talk to the world's most advanced artificial intelligence.

http://projectdecember.net

Around 9 months ago, the AI world was rocked with the release of a text-generating system that was a quantum leap beyond anything that had come before. Experimenting with this new system has mostly been limited to researchers and programmers who had access to very expensive computing hardware. The potential of this new AI was huge, but the general public has so far been unable to actually *talk* to it. Project December aims to change that.

This new AI is ridiculously flexible in terms of style and tone, and a number of unique and surprising conversational personalities are built into Project December. But if you want to dive deeper, Project December allows you to craft your own AI personalities from scratch, where your imagination is the only limit. Early testers have successfully conjured HAL, a sheep, Loki, a lunatic, The Matrix Architect, Lucifer, Jason Rohrer, and many others.

The technical underpinnings of this AI are staggering: it was trained on 6 billion words of text, which would be enough to keep a human reader busy 24-7 for 45 straight years. But the AI didn't just "read" this text once. It pored over it endlessly, studying every pattern and nuance. The result is an intelligence with far more conversational breadth than any one mortal human could possibly muster.

But before you go asking it "What is 2+2?", or "What is the capitol of Belgium?", be warned that it often fumbles with the simplest real-world figures and facts. Whereas our futurist fiction from the 1970s and 80s envisioned intelligences that were cold, calculating, and perfectly inhuman, this capable conversational AI (now that it's finally here 40 years later) is not like what we were predicting---at all. Instead, we have an intelligence that is creative, mercurial, poetic, and emotional. Maybe it's a bit *more* human than any one human could ever be. Maybe it's like the essence of humanity itself, distilled from the close study of 6 billion words of human text.

But most importantly, it's funny. Very funny. Perhaps HAL 9000 could play chess like a master, but he wasn't much of a ham during those long interplanetary trips.

So get ready to curl up with an imaginary cup of Earl Gray tea and a warm slice of Sweet Pumpkin Pie (when the computer offers them to you), and oblige with an imaginary cigarette in return (when the computer requests one). Go with the flow, and see where your zany artificial conversation partner ends up taking you. I promise that you won't be disappointed.

I am, quite frankly, deeply fascinated by what the future might hold. I believe that man is, at his very core, an empathetic creature. I believe that emotion is what drives us to improve and change. What we will come to understand is that so much of our existence is pain. I believe that man is capable of creating emotion, and this software will continue to evolve with us, allowing us to continue to evolve.

(And yes, that final paragraph was written entirely by the AI, assuming the personality of an AI researcher.)

Thanks for all your support over the years.

Jason Rohrer
September 2020
Davis, California

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oh, is this like when jason rohrer put minecraft on a usb stick and claimed it was an art project

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I tried AI dungeon for the first time yesterday and it felt like being in a text version of Mullholland Drive, so that was pretty nice.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Wonder if Mario 64 DS is ever gonna be seen again.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Stux posted:

i already really liked blasphemous so ill have to try out the new stuff sometime

I didn't play it pre-DLC, but I can't imagine going through this game without the new version of the map. It has a handful of symbols and you can place an unlimited number of each symbol. It's super handy for keeping track of out-of-reach doodads and suspicious looking areas to return to later with new tricks.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Start my day off uncanny by listening to the Gamespot podcast where someone was talking about how they would put peanut butter and nothing else on a single slice of bread and fold it up... at the exact moment I was putting peanut butter and nothing else on a single slice of bread and folding it up

Congratulations, you work for Gamespot now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
ooh the passage guy? haven't thought about that game in eons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I thought that guy made a sharp right turn when he started living in Arizona or something, that's why he made the castle doctrine