Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Hey fellow Australians, where would you look for a respirator for indoor airbrushing? I'm pretty regional so it'd have to posted. Bunnings has one but they don't have replacement filters for it on their site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Kitchner posted:

Didn't the legion of the damned wear helmets anyway?

Sometimes. This guy and Centurius did not, but the rest were helmeted.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
There's always one who can't resist feeling the breeze over his bare skull.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

After get some list advice a few pages back I committed to my idea of starting marines, but decided to mix it up a bit. Hope everyone is okay with females marines, if not, oh well~

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Aside from (imo) the heads looking a bit small on the bodies these are amazing! Good work

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I think I'd take a bit out of the neck also, but overall they look great.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Alokgen posted:

After get some list advice a few pages back I committed to my idea of starting marines, but decided to mix it up a bit. Hope everyone is okay with females marines, if not, oh well~

Finding properly-sized heads for female marines is really, really difficult. Stormcast heads are just slightly too small. Here's my attempt at same:

In any case, those look rad.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Yeah I think the necks are a bit long, making the heads look smaller than they really are. But those are still some bad-rear end lady marines, I really like your painting style.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
One day I'll stop hiding behind helmets and figure out how to do faces like y'all

Any tips

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Eej posted:

One day I'll stop hiding behind helmets and figure out how to do faces like y'all

Any tips

I made a breakthrough on this last night, like, literally the first time I ever managed to get a face right, and the number 1 thing I was missing for the prior months of trying, trying, trying, was two desk lamps with narrow beam 6k bulbs

Like, you want close to natural daylight and as much of it as possible, I have a couple of ikea lamps I just set up on opposite sides of the work area (or sometimes one down at my feet on the carpet, when i'm assembling things, haha) and being able to see the smallest bristles on your brush makes a big difference when you're trying to do an eyeball

it's the one invisible bristle with black paint on it that ruins the whole face

Making progress on this necron thing:

brass tubing is a little finnicky but I get the feeling this is gonna look cool as gently caress when it's done

I'm using the magazine drum from a zaku II machine gun for the battery pack on the back. Thanks, Bandai!

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 3, 2020

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Mirthless posted:

I horrifically, truly mangled one of my skorpekh destroyers last night while trying to assemble models with the help of the ambien walrus. I can probably just build it as an egregiously damaged necron (It's "weathering!") but I'm thinking I might just kitbash a Hexmark Destroyer?

The obvious problem is that I only have guns for one side, which I could probably fix with some hot water to bend the arms and some putty to fix the hands and details, but I have never attempted a project like this and don't know what I am getting myself into tbh

If you greenstuff some human skins you can drape it over the model and give it a flayer virus vibe, and if you have uv resin/hot glue /etc you can add dripping blood and gore effects. I think it would look great if you added various other necron parts to it too. Make it stand out as a unique unit. Then give it a back story and throw it on a kill team as well!

EdsTeioh posted:

Nah, man, just get some Oyamaru and either GreenStuff or Bondo or whatever. It'll set you back about 15-20 I think.

This right here.
I found a Japanese kids play pack with 30 odd sticks for $12 on Amazon (I'm in the US). I use a 50/50 of milliput and greenstuff in the molds and it works great. The trick is to learn how to orient your bits in the molds to capture the most texture and detail, and try to include a channel for excess putty to flow into. Using verytiny boxes/tupperware containers you can create perfectly square molds with a bit of depth as well which can be useful.

Heads are pretty easy; I usually throw hot thermoplastic into a container to get a little depth for the mold and then smooth out the surface. Then I place the helmets into the plastic face first, and I try to get about 3/4ths of the head fully covered (this won't work for crested helms). After that sets I make a little ball of hot thermoplastic with a channel in it (toothpick, cotton swab stick, sprue, etc) and I just smash it in the remaining uncovered part of the model like some sort of perfectly melted puzzle piece. After everything sets (a few minutes) you can shove an excessive amount of putty into the mold and easily clean it up with the help of the channel in the back. Roll that excess up into another ball and shove it into another mold.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Good idea on the human skin thing, I was having trouble finding places to stick the arms so I took the time to whip up some tamiya putty and "fixed" the broken collar bones and set up some textures to paint. I don't have greenstuff but adequately thinned this usually does the job for little things for me

Should look pretty great painted rotten

edit: i think i am gonna nail some human hands to his knee plates

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 3, 2020

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I bought this guy pretty cheap off ebay, he's going to be a sort of restoration project:

While double power fist wins you cool points, it's not useful, and I couldn't figure out a way to put a gun on his plastic conversion powerfist without ruining it. This model originally came with a combi-melta. He is also missing a back pack.

I managed to find a chaos terminator combi-plasma (those things are like gold dust) to replace his newly added power fist so I'm hoping that will look OK. Also bought him a chaos space marine backpack, without the stupid big banner thing the original has.

So now he's sat in something to help strip the paint off him, and when the parts arrive I can move to rebuild him.

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness

Haven’t touched paint or a mini in nearly 20 years (my results back then weren’t the worst I’ve seen but they were pretty shithouse) but I’ve been wanting to get back into the hobby for a while now, and what better time than the release of a new edition?

So I bought the command edition, the new paint set and the three pack of army painter brushes* online and had a crack at this dude. I’m not completely happy but I am done and ready for round two on another model.

Hoping I can suck some of my friends into playing some games. Shouldn’t be too much of a stretch as we used to have some good times playing Risk while drinking.

Sorry for the terrible photo quality.

* I painted this with just the paint set brush initially as I wanted to get a feel for things first, but ended up trying to use the AP insane detail brush for a few things but I must have hosed something up right away because the tip was horrible. Any tips for what brushes to buy in the future would be greatly appreciated

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
He looks good, in terms of brushes I have had no problem with my army painter brushes and think they are great, including the insane detail one. What has happened with the tip? It could be something you've done or it could just be a bad brush.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Nothing But Hate posted:

* I painted this with just the paint set brush initially as I wanted to get a feel for things first, but ended up trying to use the AP insane detail brush for a few things but I must have hosed something up right away because the tip was horrible. Any tips for what brushes to buy in the future would be greatly appreciated

AP are sending me a new pot of paint, because I emailed to ask what was up with pot not matching the primer and if they had any ideas why. I imagine they'd send you a new brush pretty easy if it exploded so fast (no guarantee when it'll arrive).

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

That lady Raven Guard posted upthread looks fantastic and has a real Starcraft vibe going.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Stephenls posted:

Finding properly-sized heads for female marines is really, really difficult. Stormcast heads are just slightly too small. Here's my attempt at same:

Finding the right heads has been tricky. I do have some of the female stormcast heads. The ones I ended up with are from shapeways. The guy has small/medium/large sizes and advertised the mediums were primaris size. I'm actually okay with the size as if you were to take a primaris helmet, it looks like the head would actually fit in it. I think GWs non-helmeted heads would never fit in an empty helmet. The head and helmet are the same size.

I should have bought both mediums and larges to see which was best, but I was being cheap and trusted the store. I'm happy enough with them that it's not worth going back to try the large ones. Having some big heads and some small heads would look really awkward.

Your female marines got me motivated to do these, so thanks for that.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Alokgen posted:

Stephenls posted:

It is not possible to understate how rad these are. Good work folks.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
yeah I think the oversized armour looks fine

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
As long as you don't mix and match the male standard heads and those female heads it will be fine as the GW heads are always too big for their helmets, so that's probably the right scale.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Alokgen posted:

Finding the right heads has been tricky. I do have some of the female stormcast heads. The ones I ended up with are from shapeways. The guy has small/medium/large sizes and advertised the mediums were primaris size. I'm actually okay with the size as if you were to take a primaris helmet, it looks like the head would actually fit in it. I think GWs non-helmeted heads would never fit in an empty helmet. The head and helmet are the same size.

I should have bought both mediums and larges to see which was best, but I was being cheap and trusted the store. I'm happy enough with them that it's not worth going back to try the large ones. Having some big heads and some small heads would look really awkward.

Your female marines got me motivated to do these, so thanks for that.

Oh!

Those are the Warfaces line by Aural's Gaming Workshop, right? I checked those out at a friend's request a bit ago.

So. The store entries say the small Warfaces heads are 5mm tall, the medium ones are 6mm, and the large ones are 7mm. Checking a handy sprue of unused Intercessor heads with a ruler, I can see that the bald Intercessor heads are 7.5mm tall, and the one with hair is 8mm. So I don't know why he's advertising the medium ones as as the right size for Primaris marines, because even the large ones are still slightly too small.

(I should order a set of those, actually. They'd probably be better than the Stormcast heads, anyway.)

EDIT: I am wrong, see post below.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 3, 2020

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mirthless posted:

Good idea on the human skin thing, I was having trouble finding places to stick the arms so I took the time to whip up some tamiya putty and "fixed" the broken collar bones and set up some textures to paint. I don't have greenstuff but adequately thinned this usually does the job for little things for me

Should look pretty great painted rotten

edit: i think i am gonna nail some human hands to his knee plates

y'all ever have one of those days where you're digging through your miniature collection looking for donor lips???

edit: oh god i'm kind of tempted to put on a beard i have one at just the right angle

i... kind of love it

i gotta thin the plastic a lot more tho, or maybe cast a thin copy which might make it easier to make it look pasted on

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 3, 2020

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Stephenls posted:

Oh!

Those are the Warfaces line by Aural's Gaming Workshop, right? I checked those out at a friend's request a bit ago.

So. The store entries say the small Warfaces heads are 5mm tall, the medium ones are 6mm, and the large ones are 7mm. Checking a handy sprue of unused Intercessor heads with a ruler, I can see that the bald Intercessor heads are 7.5mm tall, and the one with hair is 8mm. So I don't know why he's advertising the medium ones as as the right size for Primaris marines, because even the large ones are still slightly too small.

(I should order a set of those, actually. They'd probably be better than the Stormcast heads, anyway.)

Yeah, they're the WarFace3 - Covenant ones. Oddly the ones that are supposed to be sisters of battle seem more appropriate than the standard female ones. I also got a set of the WarFace 2 - Mixed females and half of them are about useless because of the way the hair has been sculpted. They don't sit properly on the torso. I've even created a rubber tubing/turtle neck as to fill the original hole for the standard head. I wouldn't bother with the Warface2s.

Good to know about the primaris though. I didn't have any primaris to measure from, but I still feel okay with what I got. I'd be interested to know the measurements of the primaris helmet as a comparison to see if the 7.5mm GW head would actually be able to fit in that helmet or not.

Alokgen fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 3, 2020

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Those Lady Marines are amazing!

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

Kitchner posted:

While double power fist wins you cool points, it's not useful

I think there was a rule in a previous edition where you'd only get an extra attack with some weapons if they shared a certain keyword. I had a chaos lord in terminator armour with a lightning claw/chainfist combo who was hilarious when he got into combat. Only played a few games with my friend that edition and I think a more canny opponent wouldn't have let that happen though.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Alokgen posted:

Yeah, they're the WarFace3 - Covenant ones. Oddly the ones that are supposed to be sisters of battle seem more appropriate than the standard female ones. I also got a set of the WarFace 2 - Mixed females and half of them are about useless because of the way the hair has been sculpted. They don't sit properly on the torso. I've even created a rubber tubing/turtle neck as to fill the original hole for the standard head. I wouldn't bother with the Warface2s.

Good to know about the primaris though. I didn't have any primaris to measure from, but I still feel okay with what I got. I'd be interested to know the measurements of the primaris helmet as a comparison to see if the 7.5mm GW head would actually be able to fit in that helmet or not.

It's not that the heads are too big; the helmets are too small. This is normal in, uh, "heroic" media -- superheroes and any action SF or fantasy with fully enclosed helmets. For example, for Civil War, Chadwick Boseman (R.I.P.) had a practical Black Panther suit but they used CGI afterward to shrink the helmet down (10% or something) in all his scenes. (And then in Black Panther and the Avengers movies they just switched to a CGI suit and proportioned everything including the helmet like skintight spandex.) Realistically thick helmets make superheroes in full armor look goofy, and Primaris Marines are absolutely following superheroic proportion rules. So if you use a head small enough to realistically fit inside a Primaris Space Marine helmet, then if the helmet isn't on, the head will look too small on the body... and, obviously, you're only using that head if the helmet isn't on.

(Ironically, this isn't really a problem with non-Primaris Space Marines, who aren't following superheroic proportion rules.)

EDIT: Actually, looking more closely at the Warfaces page, it says 5mm, 6mm, and 7mm from the chin to the top of the head, not the neck. Under those rules, unhelmeted Primaris marines are 6mm, or 6.5 with hair. So the medium ones probably are the right size for Primaris marines and the issue is that the neck is too long and needs to be cut down.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 3, 2020

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Stephenls posted:

It's not that the heads are too big; the helmets are too small. This is normal in, uh, "heroic" media -- superheroes and any action SF or fantasy with fully enclosed helmets. For example, for Civil War, Chadwick Boseman (R.I.P.) had a practical Black Panther suit but they used CGI afterward to shrink the helmet down (10% or something) in all his scenes. (And then in Black Panther and the Avengers movies they just switched to a CGI suit and proportioned everything including the helmet like skintight spandex.) Realistically thick helmets make superheroes in full armor look goofy, and Primaris Marines are absolutely following superheroic proportion rules. So if you use a head small enough to realistically fit inside a Primaris Space Marine helmet, then if the helmet isn't on, the head will look too small on the body... and, obviously, you're only using that head if the helmet isn't on.

(Ironically, this isn't really a problem with non-Primaris Space Marines, who aren't following superheroic proportion rules.)

Thats true, I supposed. I'm curious if it would look awkward if you have mixed squads where you were using the Large 7mm female heads alongside the GW helmeted marines as they'd probably seem the same size. At least with the Mediums the marines with helmets on would be proportionally larger than those without helmets. I don't plan to use the male faces, but I also don't know if I want to paint 40+ lady heads, so some are eventually going to have helmets on.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
that primaris look is so, so good though

i honestly did not like space marines prior to primaris, i checked out on 40k for a long time and then i look in on it for the first time in five or six years and suddenly they're cool as poo poo

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Alokgen posted:

Thats true, I supposed. I'm curious if it would look awkward if you have mixed squads where you were using the Large 7mm female heads alongside the GW helmeted marines as they'd probably seem the same size. At least with the Mediums the marines with helmets on would be proportionally larger than those without helmets. I don't plan to use the male faces, but I also don't know if I want to paint 40+ lady heads, so some are eventually going to have helmets on.

See my edit above; I was measuring wrong. Looking more closely at the Warfaces entry, there's a size image that makes clear those 5mm, 6mm, and 7mm measurements are from chin to top of head, not neck. Going by chin to dome, Primaris Marines are 6mm bald or or 6.5~ish with hair, so the medium ones probably are correct, and the issue is the neck being too long. I think I'll order a set of those medium ones and experiment with cutting the neck down.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Stephenls posted:

See my edit above; I was measuring wrong. Looking more closely at the Warfaces entry, there's a size image that makes clear those 5mm, 6mm, and 7mm measurements are from chin to top of head, not neck. Going by chin to dome, Primaris Marines are 6mm bald or or 6.5~ish with hair, so the medium ones probably are correct, and the issue is the neck being too long. I think I'll order a set of those medium ones and experiment with cutting the neck down.

I plan to cut the neck down a bit on my next go. Like I mentioned in a previous post, some of the hairstyles do make that tricky as they follow the neckline pretty close or come in front below the jawline. It can result in having to sit the head further back in the torso. Something to consider.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Alokgen posted:

I plan to cut the neck down a bit on my next go. Like I mentioned in a previous post, some of the hairstyles do make that tricky as they follow the neckline pretty close or come in front below the jawline. It can result in having to sit the head further back in the torso. Something to consider.

You might also consider just straight up cutting the hair down so that it sits snug against the power armor neck bowl.

Honestly I am happy with my lady Raven Guard sergeant with her giant murderclaw, but lately I've been trending more toward just doing dudemarines because I like the GW head sculpts with the proportions and the tech stuff around the neck and sometimes chin and often over one ear, and I don't particularly enjoy the thought of wrestling with shapeways resin to cut down necks and hair and I don't enjoy sculpting Space Marine neck coverings or especially ear coverings out of green stuff (or Milliput or w/e). This is why I just want GW to put out a sprue with some female Space Marine heads on it. Please, GW. Just put out, I dunno, an optional sprue of Space Marine heads like your skulls and ferns and vines boxes, with some Primaris beakies and lady Space Marine heads and more unhelmeted head sculpts. Fill it out by going through the backlog of old Space Marine kits and designing versions of the old helmets with the round ear-covering that's on all the Primaris helmets. Maybe a couple of normal Primaris Intercessor helms with vertical grill vents so they look like skulls, like that one cool MkIV helmet. I will buy three.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 3, 2020

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I'm kinda expecting them to roll out the female batch of primaris marines that old rascal belisarius was cooking up this whole time, honest just about any day now, really

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Good job on the Female Primaris. My own attempt that I've linked here before was just one of the Stormcast Sequitors heads. Which worked I felt.

Always wanted to buy those Aurel heads because they look really good and varied. Of course as soon as I see the shipping cost I end up thinking otherwise. :v:

My current challenge is making a female Tempestus Scion. Mostly because I've been playing one in a Wrath & Glory campaign for a while now and wanted to make a model of her. Although in that case the real difficulty isn't so much the head as the arms.
Turns out Sister heads fit just fine into the helmet socket but the arms look far too bulky.

Haven't been able to track down a pair of arms that fit the design aesthetics of Scions yet and are rather feminine looking as well. There's Anvil but none of their sister arm lacks the same style and they're all pretty limited as well.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Mirthless posted:

I'm kinda expecting them to roll out the female batch of primaris marines that old rascal belisarius was cooking up this whole time, honest just about any day now, really

Few things would make me happier at this point.

Anyway, pulled the trigger on ordering Warfaces3 The Covent and Warfaces2 Mix Female, both in medium size. We'll see how this goes.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Stephenls posted:

Anyway, pulled the trigger on ordering Warfaces3 The Covent and Warfaces2 Mix Female, both in medium size. We'll see how this goes.

Definitely keep us posted. I'm very interested in how they turn out.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Stephenls posted:

Anyway, pulled the trigger on ordering Warfaces3 The Covent and Warfaces 2 Mix Female, both in medium size. We'll see how this goes.

I'd dig it for sure

conveniently, at the closure of the indomitus crusade literally exactly 50% of the space marine chapters have been wiped out

after 10,000 years guilliman and the c'tan cawl bring equality to the imperium

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Alokgen posted:

Definitely keep us posted. I'm very interested in how they turn out.

I was going to say "Since I'm building up to doing a Carcharodons patrol detachment, I might use one of the yelling heads on a sergeant or something" but then I remembered that I'm trying to do lore-accurate Carcharodons and they're canonically completely silent during fights, so that won't work. But there are non-yelling heads.

Color scheme's not quite there yet. Need darker shoulder pads and to get better at the freehanding exile marks. But I figure I'm about one test model away from a final recipe.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Cross-posting from Miniatures thread because I actually finished a drat project

It took two batches and several months, but I finished my Veteran Intercessor squad. Used some Assault Intercessor bodies on the second batch, so the whole squad has a ton of great dynamism.

Gallery: https://imgur.com/a/OBSrSZi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

TheBigAristotle posted:

Cross-posting from Miniatures thread because I actually finished a drat project

It took two batches and several months, but I finished my Veteran Intercessor squad. Used some Assault Intercessor bodies on the second batch, so the whole squad has a ton of great dynamism.

Gallery: https://imgur.com/a/OBSrSZi

Well that looks great.