Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I can see it being decent but it's really just a worse dualcaster mage. Can't even do the cool twinflame combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Idk if I'm missing something but the card would be so much more fun with flash.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

lmao, why did they suddenly give black enchantment removal?!

Because of all the colour combinations Rakdos is the only one without a way to reasonably remove an enchantment once it’s down on the board, even if only temporarily and that somewhat limits the power of enchantments they can print that can work against that colour combo.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

80s James Hetfield posted:

lmao, why did they suddenly give black enchantment removal?!

It was stupid that the power at any cost color could not at any cost deal with enchantments.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

fadam posted:

This one is weird tho because I think they said that they want Black to not be able to easily deal with it’s “Deal with the Devil” enchantments like Pact or the draw 3 from Theros. I guess they think the life loss is enough.

Its for opponent's enchantments, so liliana is still pacted to die on turn 4

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

drat I’m dumb as hell lol. I even reread it to make sure it didn’t only targets opponents stuff.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It was stupid that the power at any cost color could not at any cost deal with enchantments.

To be fair this is not a very steep “at any cost” and I think it should’ve been something like lose that much life for a creature, discard that many cards for an enchantment

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Part of me wants to put together a historic RU or RUG land destruction deck with poo poo like mythos of illuna, primal amulet, haphazard bombardment, and mirari conjecture. Just blow up all your lands, copy my enchantments, copy my wellsprings, copy my copies, blow up 8 lands at once. etc, etc.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Black should be able to do everything other colors can do, just at greater prices for things that aren't primary for black imo. Paying life or sacrificing permanents should be adequate.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
maro has all but explicitly said on his blog that he thinks the fetches are a mistake he'd remove from the game if he could, so i wouldn't expect to see them in standard again

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Because of all the colour combinations Rakdos is the only one without a way to reasonably remove an enchantment once it’s down on the board, even if only temporarily and that somewhat limits the power of enchantments they can print that can work against that colour combo.

considering that last time their answer to this "how can black deal with enchantments?" was Thoughtseize, it's much more playable this way

also it's amazing how quickly people forgot about Pharikas Libation

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Targeted enchantment removal is much better than an edict.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

They discussed the reasoning back when they showed us Pharika's Libation. White can deal with any permanent. Blue can counter any spell or bounce then counter any nonland permanent. Green can blow up artifact/creature/land and fight creatures/attack plansewalkers. Red can't deal with enchantments but can blow up artifacts/lands and burn out creatures/planeswalkers. Black being weak to enchantments and artifacts was supposed to be balanced out by black having discard against them, but discard has the trouble of being useless versus an empty hand and doesn't deal with the board. So they decided to give Black (and Rakdos) the ability to deal with enchantments via conditional removal in libation, and now targeted but potentially painful direct removal with feed.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Mikujin posted:

Targeted enchantment removal is much better than an edict.

sorry what I meant was that black got enchantment removal 6 months ago, not that they were comparable

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

considering that last time their answer to this "how can black deal with enchantments?" was Thoughtseize, it's much more playable this way

also it's amazing how quickly people forgot about Pharikas Libation

Edicts suck as dedicated removal you relentless loving curmudgeon

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

AngryBooch posted:

https://twitter.com/MTGGoldfish/status/1301517571301281800

OK this is the first card that's making me think maybe M21 Azusa and Radha could be brewing up a little something

At the beginning of your end step, if there is cards exiled,

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

BioThermo posted:

Snapclover Mage

If this had Flash the thread would be complaining within a week of how OP it is on Arena.

I am fine with with it as is since it’ll still be played but Mythic seems kinda weird for the effect and body.

Edit: just remembered Riptide Lab is in Historic. Hell yeah combo this with that and the wizard from Dominaria for maximum janky fun

Yoked fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 3, 2020

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yes I know please calm down. It was a mid-low tier pick in draft, I was generally happy to have access to it in my sideboard.

It was probably just printed to dip their toe into the water of black enchantment removal before they put out the Real poo poo.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Holy crap you are toxic.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

President Ark posted:

maro has all but explicitly said on his blog that he thinks the fetches are a mistake he'd remove from the game if he could, so i wouldn't expect to see them in standard again

He's completely correct, they are.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Holy crap you are toxic.

LG is snippy to every other post made in the thread and it’s to the point where it’s gotten to be an old and tiresome gimmick, I don’t mind calling it out after long enough.

Lone Goat posted:

It was probably just printed to dip their toe into the water of black enchantment removal before they put out the Real poo poo.

I think this card is probably a step too far in the other direction, the two cards are pretty funny when you put them next to one another.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Tulul posted:

Holy hatebears, Batman.

The Selesnya one fetches a basic Plains and Forest when it ETB and prevents players from paying life or sacrificing permanents to cast cards or activate abilities.

Also, this is a fun, goofy card I don't think I've seen brought up.

Love both those hatebears, maybe that will be enough to make a decent deck in Historic.

That goblin seems way better than it looks but I don't know if it fits in the current goblin builds.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mat Cauthon posted:

Love both those hatebears, maybe that will be enough to make a decent deck in Historic.

That goblin seems way better than it looks but I don't know if it fits in the current goblin builds.

I don't think it's meant to socket into Goblins as much as it's meant to slot into decks that are currently using Legion Warboss (Other than Winota)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

That Goblin is very much an aggro card where Goblins is a midrange deck, they’re wanting to do different things.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Yoked posted:

If this had Flash the thread would be complaining within a week of how OP it is on Arena.

I am fine with with it as is since it’ll still be played but Mythic seems kinda weird for the effect and body.

Edit: just remembered Riptide Lab is in Historic. Hell yeah combo this with that and the wizard from Dominaria for maximum janky fun

I am personally excited to play this alongside See the Truth, only to have my opponent's Robber of the Rich snag my truth from me.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

He's completely correct, they are.

Only in paper due to all the shuffling; in digital theyre perfectly fine (also bc they are cheap in digital)

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

No Wave posted:

Idk if I'm missing something but the card would be so much more fun with flash.

I read it twice before realising it didn't.

Being able to also copy your opponents spells would be rad.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Questing Vampire

I'm really looking forward to seeing what gets built around Party, I like the idea of getting cheap partiers out, casting this guy for 2-3 and getting a nasty swing in. I don't think I'd feel bad having it in Jund sac in historic, casting him on a discount after CoCo and giving Mayhem Devil deathtouch.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Tulul posted:

Also, this is a fun, goofy card I don't think I've seen brought up.

Is that Tuk-Tuk's head?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Shrecknet posted:

Only in paper due to all the shuffling; in digital theyre perfectly fine (also bc they are cheap in digital)

They also constrain dual land design due to untapped typed duals being ao far above everything else in terms of consistency that anything that isn't that is sub optimal. They also interact strangely with graveyard strategies to the point mono-color decks run them for Delve, and land recursion from the graveyard can use one Arid Mesa to drag every plains and mountain out of the deck, and Landfall doubles up, so either it sucks or is overpowered to account for double triggers at no cost.

It's more than just the shuffle.

In ZNR needleverge pathway works the same as Arid Mesa would, producing a mono-red or mono-white land, but without the baggage.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm really looking forward to seeing what gets built around Party, I like the idea of getting cheap partiers out, casting this guy for 2-3 and getting a nasty swing in. I don't think I'd feel bad having it in Jund sac in historic, casting him on a discount after CoCo and giving Mayhem Devil deathtouch.

Does Jund Sac have enough classed creatures to make that work? ("Class" meaning Warrior, Wizard, Rogue, or Cleric). I think a Party deck will want to invest heavily in creatures to be strong even after fighting through removal spells.

The dual land cycle doesn't benefit any particular wedges. There's going to be an interesting deckbuilding question with the green multiclass creatures and the very powerful payoffs in other colours.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/lsv/status/1301555791921442816

Re: Legion Angel

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

are we really freaking out about blue getting a bad dualcaster mage at mythic lmao

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Why are people calling it a bad Dualcaster Mage in the first place?

It costs one less and has a pretty insane lategame with a Lightning Bolt, it seems pretty reasonable to me.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Paul Zuvella posted:

are we really freaking out about blue getting a bad dualcaster mage at mythic lmao

No?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It's better than dualcaster mage by a huge margin because it costs 2.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Red should be getting this *bad rare!

*might not actually be bad

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

99% of your posts in this thread are you getting hysterical about something, have you considered stepping away from the game/the thread for your mental health?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Chamale posted:

Does Jund Sac have enough classed creatures to make that work? ("Class" meaning Warrior, Wizard, Rogue, or Cleric). I think a Party deck will want to invest heavily in creatures to be strong even after fighting through removal spells.

The dual land cycle doesn't benefit any particular wedges. There's going to be an interesting deckbuilding question with the green multiclass creatures and the very powerful payoffs in other colours.

Might need a rework, it has Priest of the Forgotten Gods for cleric though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'd definitely be excited about this set if I played constructed. There's a lot of great hate cards already, and the spell/lands all have a lot of potential. I don't think people are giving them the attention they deserve. Don't they have the potential to change the game almost as much as companions, but in a good way? The cost to include them in your deck over a normal basic isn't nothing, but a spell in your hand that you can cast or play "face down" as a land is going to make decks much smoother. They're auto-includes in Commander in a lot of cases too, and people are always looking to squeeze in more spells without cutting lands.