Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favorite returning character?
Kane
General Carville
Premier Romanov
Jobbo Fett
View Results

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
One of the less obvious tricks against the poor squids is that Tanya still one-shots them like other boats, and can't be grabbed, which is a hilarious mental image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

doesn't the squid's basic attack actually gently caress up seals? the same flailing around thing they do against dolphins?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Radio Free Kobold posted:

doesn't the squid's basic attack actually gently caress up seals? the same flailing around thing they do against dolphins?

In that last video, several SEALS die to squids.

Also, uhhh... there's going to be a slight downgrade after the Soviet campaign.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

i mean if you tossed me into the water with an angry kraken I'd probably die like a bitch too

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

i mean if you tossed me into the water with an angry kraken I'd probably die like a bitch too

:same:

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the Giant Squids are a really neat unit, kinda expensive but being able to just lockdown an Aircraft Carrier and steadily destroy it is not to be underestimated, although definitely keep them away from Dolphins, those units do utterly insane damage vs Squids, although of course Dolphins themselves are super fragile as well. Gather enough Squids with some subs to cover for Dolphins and just laugh as the enemy navy is locked down and destroyed.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

UED Special Ops posted:

it has a great mix of sea and land combat,

This is something that RA2 can do really well and I wish more missions showed it off.

The campaigns have a LOT of ground only missions.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Mokinokaro posted:

The campaigns have a LOT of ground only missions.

Ironically that is a side-effect of the setting. The game needs to show iconic US landmarks (and blow them up), and the new engine tech it plays with is all related to urban areas.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

A more naval-based invasion of New York (and blowing up of the Statue of Liberty) could've done more with the naval assets.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Playing the whole New York intro from the Soviet side would've been fantastic, like that one Chicago(?) mission on steroids. Fight your way past the coastal defenses (Grand Cannons, Aegis cruisers, etc.) using a limited number of zeppelins and naval units, then land some tanks and paradrop a bunch of conscripts to force a beachhead, get your MCV and set up shop, then push up the map to destroy the Statue of Liberty with a heavy focus on combined land/naval actions. Something like this maybe?

Large allied base at the Brooklyn Naval Yard and one of the seaports (or maybe the large airport around Newark?), Soviet player's choice of two landing zones, and multiple ways to advance up the map. The mission leaves off, of course, with you using four dreadnoughts to attack the statue of liberty and the allies being reduced to a small outpost in the corner of the map...

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 3, 2020

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Playing the whole New York intro from the Soviet side would've been fantastic, like that one Chicago(?) mission on steroids. Fight your way past the coastal defenses (Grand Cannons, Aegis cruisers, etc.) using a limited number of zeppelins and naval units, then land some tanks and paradrop a bunch of conscripts to force a beachhead, get your MCV and set up shop, then push up the map to destroy the Statue of Liberty with a heavy focus on combined land/naval actions. Something like this maybe?

Large allied base at the Brooklyn Naval Yard and one of the seaports (or maybe the large airport around Newark?), Soviet player's choice of two landing zones, and multiple ways to advance up the map. The mission leaves off, of course, with you using four dreadnoughts to attack the statue of liberty and the allies being reduced to a small outpost in the corner of the map...

There is a mod that does this - so precisely that I wondered at first if you were deliberately referring to it. And I wish, I wish so much, it had continued to be as awesome as its first missions.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Loxbourne posted:

There is a mod that does this - so precisely that I wondered at first if you were deliberately referring to it. And I wish, I wish so much, it had continued to be as awesome as its first missions.

What? There is? How, where, what name?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

What? There is? How, where, what name?

I'll PM it, just to be on the safe side with spoilers.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Also, chances are very high that I might know the mod and its on the list of things to showcase after this or the next set of games.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Soviet 11: Operation: Red Revolution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbmFdqBfM70
Operation: Red Revolution

Yuri was a traitor this whole time?! Looks like Me(nt)a(lis)t's back on the menu, boys!

The heart of Mother Russia!

Objective: Capture or Kill Yuri!

Briefing: Yuri has turned against us. There is only one answer for such treason.

Author's note: A truly grueling mission on Hard difficulty, constantly being attacked by Yuri's forces, including healthy mixes of apocalypse tanks, yuris, V3s, and terror drones, among others.

*Note for future me and you: I forget about two buildings in this mission so I may retread some information in the next mission's commentary. Oops!*

Name: Yuri
Aliases: None
Affiliation: Soviet
Voiced/Played by: Udo Kier

Aide/Confidant to the Premier of the Soviet Union. May not be on the up-and-up, dislikes Gen. Vladimir. Knows the meaning of "Soviet Irony." Do not tr~urk! Glorious Yuri is friend to all! Personal friend of Iosef Stalin. Traitor to the Motherland!

Name: Lt. Zofia
Voiced/Played by: Aleksandra Kaniak

Intelligence Officer to the Commander. Loyal until the end, she is the Commander's most trusted subordinate.

Name: Alexander Romanov
Voiced/Played by: Nicholas Worth

Premier of the Soviet Union. Has a pet turtle named Harry; no dove though. A rather jovial fellow. Either has a medical condition, or is affected by Yuri by some fashion. Allegedly murdered by General Vladimir. Murdered by Yuri. Sends a tape to Zofia so that she may relay it to the Commander.

Nuclear Reactor
ARMOR: Concrete
COST: 1000
POWER PROVIDED: 2000
PURPOSE: Provides Power

The Soviets have solved the problem of needing additional Tesla Reactors by developing the Nuclear Reactor. This large building puts out the equivalent of many Tesla Reactors, supplying the Soviet commander with virtually all of the power he will ever need. The destruction of a Nuclear Reactor causes a large nuclear explosion, and creates fallout that will kill infantry and lightly-armoured vehicles.

Author's Note: The ultimate power generating structure, the Nuclear Reactor can easily supply all your needs. While they are large and slightly vulnerable, they are easy to build and removes any real limitation on accumulating Tesla Coils, outside of cost.

Kirov Airship
RANGE: Short
ARMOR: Light
WEAPON: Blimp Bombs
COST: 2000

These huge Soviet zeppelins are a true force to contend with in the air. Able to withstand tremendous amounts of damage, a Kirov attacks with massive payloads of heavy bombs. These can devastate an area. Slow speed is the main weakness of this unit.

Author's Note: Large and in charge, the Kirov Airship can shake off any but the most concentrated of AA defenses. Their durability makes up for their lethargic movement. Anything caught under their sights is as good as dead.

Aftermath:

Faster than Par Time: "Already your name is known to school children as the greatest general the world has ever known."

Slower than Par Time: "Yuri's defenses were weak and feeble. Your tank divisions swept him aside as you have swept aside so many others."

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 9, 2020

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
That was as clutch a win as I've seen you have in any of these videos. :v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

PurpleXVI posted:

That was as clutch a win as I've seen you have in any of these videos. :v:

It was! It makes me curious to see if its got a Mission Failed - Objectives Completed potential to it.

Also never build the Nuclear Reactor, its jist easier that way.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've never beaten this mission.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

I don't remember this mission being nearly so hard, but then again 13 year old me doesn't remember a lot of poo poo. That was a baller rear end victory though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I remember the first time I beat this mission a long time ago because the only reason I did that time is because I abused the fact that the AI units follows the same path to your base as long as there isn't a ground unit in the way. And 2 or 3 Kirovs on each approach carpet bombing a few points along that path means nothing will get through once they've ranked up. Even after fighting off Yuri's armada it didn't click with me that Kirovs were probably how I should attack too.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You can park a kirov or two at the spot near the cliffs just off your base where all of the enemies run past and they'll drop bombs and kill almost everything. Since the enemy only sends kirovs if you build the nuke silo you can skip a lot of AA if you go the air route (and flak guns are vastly better at taking out V3s than the allies silly little missiles).

Never build the psychic sensor Zofia mentions on this particular mission. You will regret it. :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Poil posted:

Never build the psychic sensor Zofia mentions on this particular mission. You will regret it. :v:

Is it a trap, or will there just be an infinite spam of warnings? The cutscene that told us about it seemed super suspicious :v:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

My last playthrough had me doing this on foot, as a challenge.

Don't be like me; use Kirovs.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Kirovs are the best and coolest unit in the entire game you should use them whenever you can

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Xarn posted:

Is it a trap, or will there just be an infinite spam of warnings? The cutscene that told us about it seemed super suspicious :v:
Infinite spam.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Man, as a kid I didnt know what triggered all the endless bad guys and boy howdy did I slowly grind my way through yuri's endless forces. I built so many flak turrets. Fun fact about the kirov. Even if you shoot them down them crashing into your buildings does a pretty big chunk of damage too. And yuriko has a LOT of kirovs.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

+1 that this is the hardest mission in the game. I ended up just nuking the building twice since it doesn't get repaired.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Maybe it's just nostalgia from a 13 year old but I really don't remember this mission being that hard. Sending a billion kirov up the left side of the map always worked for me.

Then again, I only played on normal as a kid :shrug:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If you're going the kirov route you might as well bomb all of the enemy bases down before the mission objective. They have surprisingly weak AA against several airships bombing the crap out of them.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
As a kid I spent probably like a couple weeks trying to beat this mission; I was never fast/twitchy enough or good enough at spinning plates to be able to handle everything the AI throws at you. I also didn’t know about the specific triggers other than “nuclear silo summons kirovs,” and in retrospect I probably could have saved myself some headaches if I wasn’t a dumb kid. So one day I said gently caress it and just decided to explore the map rather than building a base—and when I found the secret way to cheese this mission I felt like a goddamned genius, because none of the message boards I read back then seemed to know it even existed :getin:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I think that if you play your cards right, the starting two Kirovs can take out the power to Yuri's base, after which it gets much easier :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So I guess I'm the only one who really doesn't like Kirovs? The blimp design is cool but it's just soo...sloooow... If it had some range, say, as an airborne artillery platform, it would be so much more useful. And cooler.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 9, 2020

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

Jobbo Fett posted:

Who could have known that the evil mind-control guy was actually ... evil

This is the kind of scintillating wit that keeps me coming back to this LP for more.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

So I guess I'm the only one who really doesn't like Kirovs? The blimp design is cool but it's just soo...sloooow... If it had some range, say, as an airborne artillery platform, it would be so much more useful. And cooler.

Their design is great. Gameplay is not, but hey, RA is all about that tank spam anyway.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
Always beware of the Sneaky Kirov.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

they would definitely be better if they had tesla coils on them

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Is there anything that wouldn't be?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

In regards to the squid we saw last time, they and the dolphins are probably the silliest units in the game. Cool, but also, probably, half the reason this series became as corny as it was, rather than leaning on seriousness just a bit. But going into details would be spoilers, and I also know a lot of people prefer the sillier side of C&C.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I feel like ra2 hits the perfect balance of serious and goofy as all hell. The earlier entries are all a little too serious and then this one opens up with "drive friendly, the Texas way"

E: And "president Doo-gan" with his friend "sam, like uncle sam!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I always thought the first C&C was a bit more laid-back than the rest. But that's probably due to Tiberian Sun being really dour in comparison, and the image of Kane kicking back while talking about dinosaurs having been seared into my brain.

E:

Just went back and looked, and in my mind, he's wearing a Hawaiian shirt in that cutscene, not his usual black one. Although the main bad guy wearing a regular black t-shirt still seems plenty relaxed to me.