Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Epic High Five posted:

we got the first stimulus when almost nothing was known

and when Bernie was at the height of his influence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

we got the first stimulus when almost nothing was known

since then we've discovered that COVID mostly kills poor people and minorities, and old people who don't have a bunch of money

also since then we've found a shotgun of therapies that can be deployed to the rich and powerful to make it extremely unlikely they die if they catch it

we've got everything we're gonna get lol, the ruling classes now view COVID as a sort of WW1 whose primary purpose is to cull the now surplus to requirements lower classes before they get unruly and demand change

Yea this is the truth, no more help is coming. The top 20-30% is doing just fine. This is the new economy, the new world.

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
Reading r/wallstreetbets is an absolute trip rn

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Number go down?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

the brrrrrrr is coming from under the desk

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

:dong:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
we're only half-way to the first circuit breaker right? -7% for s&p?

Centrist Committee posted:

and when Bernie was at the height of his influence

true

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Gods_Butthole posted:

Ah, hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

coming soon:

layaway for groceries!
fill up your tank for six easy payments of $29.99!
defer your eviction for a 10 year lease on all future earnings!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

I routinely get called a lunatic doomer for pointing out that the system that absolutely opposes the notion of anybody who works for a living ever retiring from working, to the point of making it a bipartisan project to destroy social security, isn't going to offer a system that will ever allow you to retire, so be ready.

I've been yelled at for not contributing to my 401K past the company match

has anyone actually retired yet on a 401k they started contributing to when they started working? I think they came about in the early 80s?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Iron Crowned posted:

Number go down?

no no number go OTHER up.

only up

no down

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
calling it now: number will end the day green

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Xeom posted:

Yea this is the truth, no more help is coming. The top 20-30% is doing just fine. This is the new economy, the new world.

Cuomo literally deployed COVID patients to nursing homes to ensure as many olds receiving state benefits died then doubled down on cutting medicaid funding and his refusal to consider even a single cent of additional taxes on the obscenely rich lmao

if a developing country (with a leader we didn't like) did what we've done we'd be referring them to the ICC

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Finicums Wake posted:

they're basically saying they'll dump unlimited amounts or money to prop up the market, aren't they

yes they've been saying this for 10 years but people don't understand that capital markets arent like markets for actual goods. if you're a central bank you can set the price for stocks at whatever you want.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The Titanic engine room scenes but they're throwing more and more things like random deck chairs and the lifeboats into the boilers, "what if we squirt some nitro in? Just a little?"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1301560478091685889?s=20

this will certainly help things right? lol

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

has anyone actually retired yet on a 401k they started contributing to when they started working? I think they came about in the early 80s?

everyone I know who has retired with 401k money is also getting pension money and social security

I don't see how someone can retire on a 401k when the economic reality for 99% of working people is that they don't even break even until they're almost 40, much less do what all the "smart finance people" recommend like max it out every year

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Cuomo literally deployed COVID patients to nursing homes to ensure as many olds receiving state benefits died then doubled down on cutting medicaid funding and his refusal to consider even a single cent of additional taxes on the obscenely rich lmao

if a developing country (with a leader we didn't like) did what we've done we'd be referring them to the ICC

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i don't think any of my friends under 45 have rrsps, they've dumped every free cent they've had into buying housing or they're too poor for either

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
VIX is up 9%

:yeshaha:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

it'll probably get hung up in lower courts for a while until the scotus says it's fine for dumb poo poo reasons

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

:lol: no, I tend to need the money when I get laid off periodically. Sure, maybe when I'm 80 I can use it to retire, but when your phone poo poo the bed, and you have an interview tomorrow, you can't make rent, and your car need to get fixed, it's an easy loving choice

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

FistEnergy posted:

VIX is up 9%

:yeshaha:

more like 18% lmao

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Come on at least give me one circuit breaker. It's been months, I need another hit.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

Come on at least give me one circuit breaker. It's been months, I need another hit.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Finicums Wake posted:

they're basically saying they'll dump unlimited amounts or money to prop up the market, aren't they

they’ve been saying this ever since repo markets went fucky last year

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: no, I tend to need the money when I get laid off periodically. Sure, maybe when I'm 80 I can use it to retire, but when your phone poo poo the bed, and you have an interview tomorrow, you can't make rent, and your car need to get fixed, it's an easy loving choice

I've never had a 401k withdrawal but I never had a job that offered one until I was 31 lol

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

patience grasshopper, the higher the flight the greater the downward rush into the maw

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Not to mention my 401ks cashed out at something pathetic like $2000 for 3 years of work, so it's like how the gently caress would that even have helped me when I'm 65

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Fed has said unlimited money for market and it made no dent.

Carted out fauci to say a vaccine will be in october.

Mnuchin or cokehead are next.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
please i've been good all year, i deserve at least one tiny little breaker

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

more like 18% lmao

23% now.

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
J-Pow is my favorite central banker ever, he's just incredible. I hope he gets to see this crisis all the way to the end and print all the money. Like I hope we see that second stock market crash and he steps up to the plate and just opens the floodgates and doesn't stop until DOW is back to 30K. He'll just keep pushing the idea about how America needs more inflation to deal with the debt burden further and further until he goes in history as a godlike anti-Volcker who will be studied for decades.

I mean like how Volcker insistently raised interest rates despite economic pain to set up the stage for a new economic policy regime, J-Pow's gonna keep saying there isn't enough inflation yet. Then he eventually reveals that he had a master plan to inflate away the zombie corporation debts and weak-dollar USA back into an export powerhouse or something ridiculous like that. Pivot USA to beat the Chinese at their own game. It was all a calculated shock bro, just like Volcker!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/ezayur/status/1301567742126981120?s=19

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Iron Crowned posted:

Not to mention my 401ks cashed out at something pathetic like $2000 for 3 years of work, so it's like how the gently caress would that even have helped me when I'm 65

you will be comforted in your retirement by the knowledge that the constant pathetic dribbles of tens of millions of workers over their working lives have combined into a mighty stream that buoys stonk prices for the benefit of the rich and poor alike (but mostly the rich because the poor only have their aforementioned pathetic dribbles)

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

Some freak on Reddit posted:

Dear WSB, what’s the first thing you’re doing when you get rich off tendies? I know what I’m doing...

I’ve been sending letter after letter to Papa Musk for months, eager to set up a golf outing with him and Donny boy in Mar-a-lago. As soon as he answers I’ll take profit. The day would go as such:

Papa musk picks me up at my house in his private Tesla limo. We gay smooch (accidentally). It’s like a greeting kiss on the cheek, but we accidentally lock lips. This gets the juices flowing. This makes for an awkward car ride as we struggle to find common conversational ground.

We arrive at Donny’s golf course. He’s garbed in a skin-tight white polo and red maga hat, waiting for us out front. We greet each other by reciting the pledge of allegiance, then make our way out onto the course.

I suck at golf, so I ask Don for help. Don directs my stroke from behind me. I can feel Don growing “excited” while Papa Musk grows jealous. It’s not long before we make for the nearest forest and erm... “work on my short game.”

What about you guys?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
more like Boomsday Elonomics

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
circuit breaker!! come on baby slam that poo poo into my veins

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

did musk just do the stock split so he could do the funding secured joke again

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

stop quoting single day vix moves, and don't buy VIX calls yet, curve is still in contago for current to next month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

what is this person's internal vision of Trump? on a scale of Ben Garrison Trump to the naked wax trump?