Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thom12255 posted:

I think if the 2nd season of Lower Decks cuts out all the pointless references to previous Star Trek episodes then it will be more fun to watch.

Oh yeah, the fan service is still somewhat :rolleyes: but I guess I just came to accept this is a thing they’re going to do.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Well, the episode managed to avoid all of the most predictable resolutions to either of its plot lines while still being probably the funniest so far. Good stuff.

EDIT: Also, shout out to the DS9 “everything is orange” aesthetic.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

yeah, pointless reference fanservice suc- EEE LOOK AN OLYMPIC CLASS

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
If these bumblefucks haven't managed to release this internationally I might have to actually pirate it once the season is over.

I don't think I'm really the target audience, but so far no one has been lamenting bafflingly stupid writing so I'll give it a go.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Not arranging international viewing rights for a sci-fi program is just leaving money on the table. Your average geek will instantly resort to piracy to view something if there’s no distribution outside the US (see also, Infinity Train)

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I laughed, my kids laughed. What a great episode. Makes me happy to see a Star Trek again.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Rutherford’s tool he used to put out the plasma fire made a sonic screwdriver noise. :mad:

Good episode, the flashback with era appropriate uniforms was good. Also that hair.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 3, 2020

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Best episode of the series so far. Love me some lower decks.

Also Bradward's girlfriend lives on a ship named after a city in Canada. Thought that was cute

Sexual Aluminum fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 3, 2020

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Yeah, that was the best episode yet, and I liked last week's a lot. Just wish they'd mix up the character groupings rather than always having Boimler/Mariner and Tendi/Rutherford.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Payndz posted:

Yeah, that was the best episode yet, and I liked last week's a lot. Just wish they'd mix up the character groupings rather than always having Boimler/Mariner and Tendi/Rutherford.

Honestly, this episode pretty effectively showed that they haven't exhausted the possibilities of the current pairings, yet. Sure, some variety would be nice, but the characters worked so perfectly together this episode that I can't be mad about it.

"The door wooshing sounds!"

Woosh

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Honestly, this episode pretty effectively showed that they haven't exhausted the possibilities of the current pairings, yet. Sure, some variety would be nice, but the characters worked so perfectly together this episode that I can't be mad about it.

"The door wooshing sounds!"

Woosh

Loving the preview bit of them all imitating the warp core. :allears:

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I cracked up at Tendi and Rutherford escaping through a Jeffries tube while their pursuer just ran down a corridor three feet to the left that led to the exact same place.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
I am terrified by the fact that STLD is good.
It is, in fact, actually loving good.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Lmao at that 4chan rumor by that dweeb who said CBS was embarrassed by LDS and wanted it hypercancelled.

This poo poo’s great.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I just re-watched the episode and noticed Barb huffing Brad at the beginning. So, yeah, pheromones.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Isn't the implication that Barb was the only potential sexual partner that Boimler had met in over a month?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, I think a dry humor would have fit the franchise far more than an irreverent one, but I'm still happy with what we've got. There aren't many dry animated shows out there that aren't super niche, but I think that Brendan Small could have made a show that felt a bit more fitting to the material. Still, I'll take fun and wacky over potentially bland and underwritten if dry wasn't pulled off well.

Just flop Starfleet uniforms on Dethklok and Coach McGuirk and let's do this.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I kind of want to see some stuff in medical with Tendi instead of always just doing engineering things with Rutherford. The junkyard stray doctor is a fun character.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Great episode. So when are those two gonna hook up?

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

BexGu posted:

I kind of want to see some stuff in medical with Tendi instead of always just doing engineering things with Rutherford. The junkyard stray doctor is a fun character.

Why is she always doing engineering things? Is she on her free time and just hanging out with Rutherford at work and just sort of idly helping out? Like, you're annoying your friend at their retail job and you just start stocking shelves?

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

"That guy's like a Kirk sundae with Trip Tucker sprinkles!"

This is Star Trek. This is the truest, Trekiest thing in a loving decade. Comedy is tighter than The Orville too.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

MadJackal posted:

This is Star Trek. This is the truest, Trekiest thing in a loving decade. Comedy is tighter than The Orville too.

I swear on my very soul that I took the screenshot and posted the above before this happened:

I adore this show.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MadJackal posted:

I swear on my very soul that I took the screenshot and posted the above before this happened:

I adore this show.

They literally told you in advance that that was about to happen though? Did you actually not see that coming?

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Tiggum posted:

They literally told you in advance that that was about to happen though? Did you actually not see that coming?

I did not foresee the show committing to a 5 second bit of expensive animation of an alien gruesomely biting off a Starfleet officer's head on Deep Space 9, no.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

BexGu posted:

We absolutely need to see the CMO more than we are. I watched all 5 episodes today and I have to say that I am enjoying it more than recent Star Trek but I have to agree with others here, there is too much Mariner and Boimler happening. We've gotten quite a bit of exposure to the Captain and her Number 1 but I want to spend more time with the other section chiefs now, especially if it means more time with Dr. T'Ana and therefore giving Tendi something to do

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It was neat to see normal food in the mess hall, like sushi and nachos and a taco bowl.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

MadJackal posted:

just started watching this show and 100% agree

im enjoying this more than any trek since ds9

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Delthalaz posted:

At least to me this episode was proof that it's never going to happen, and thank god. The two hung out constantly for a month while he was leaking pheromones everywhere and nothing happened. So to me that implies nothing will. And I'm all for more opposite gender platonic relationships in media.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Sep 4, 2020

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I like how the dork who has a girlfriend nobody's ever met because she lives in Canada is subverted a little in this episode, because while he is a dork who has a girlfriend who nobody's met, she actually is assigned to... the Vancouver.

I really liked the episode.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A lot of the randomly-shoved-into-dialogue TNG references aren't great, but I did like them showing people gossiping about whatever ridiculous poo poo the Enterprise-D has done this week, it felt natural.

And the implication that part of being a wunder-kid has left mariner slightly traumatised by all the messed up poo poo trek characters encounter on a weekly basis kinda makes sense.

feedmyleg posted:

At least to me this episode was proof that it's never going to happen, and thank god. The two hung out constantly for a month while he was leaking pheromones everywhere and nothing happened. So to me that implies nothing will. And I'm all for more opposite gender platonic relationships in media.

I assume they were talking about Rutherford and Tendi.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 4, 2020

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Delthalaz posted:

I assume you're talking about Beckbera? Barkett?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Vancouver was a very pretty ship.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ep was good

I actually got excited when they showed DS9

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

That was definitely the best episode of the series so far. Really fun.

Laughed an actual, out-loud bellylaugh at the scene where the fishdude reveals his 'civilization' is just him and his wife, because he's a rich dude.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I think we can all agree that taco bowl looked delicious.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So did the poutine!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm glad Boimler's dialogue was due to the parasite because I was reacting like this for a while

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

OB_Juan posted:

Just flop Starfleet uniforms on Dethklok and Coach McGuirk and let's do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Tendi and Rutherford are really growing on me, still not sold on Boimler and Mariner