Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Labour chat:

I recall post "chicken" coup that McDonnell said something along the lines of "They're so fuckin' useless they can't even do a coup properly" but there they were, in the background, couping away silently in the night. Not the PLP so much as party staffers.
Makes me wonder just how much of what was going on Corbyn & McDonnell were in complete ignorance of and whether the 'coup' in the daylight was just a front to make them think they'd won?

I honestly doubt the beauraucrat wreckers had shown their hands.

The PLP hosed it up because they are, mostly, pretty loving terrible at everything given how many of them were the worst sort of public school>ppe>spad track types forced in in the BLair years, through th process I noted above, so they're just... not that competent, and have been huffing their own farts so hard they think they're actually wanted by anyone.

E: 15 years ago, in September 2005, Egypt held its first multi-party presidential elections, which were marred with accusations of fraud.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

How much notice do you think the voting public take of policies v how much notice they take of image in the press when it comes to political parties?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Probably a mix of both but filtered heavily through their idiot brain prejudices, which the press has a lot of control over.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It's a mix of both, but the mix is sharply weighted towards the press side of things. There's also tribalism to think about, too.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Don't Green policies do far better in blind surveys than when people know whose policies they are?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

So did Corbyn's.

Whch is why I say policy is a relatively small part of voting intention.

It's much more framed by the press, the broader media, and the social environment.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
wasnt there some survey data that showed that lots of conservative voters thought that corbyn policies were those of the tories lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Julio Cruz posted:

is Breath Ray the one who kept parroting UKIP talking points on how immigration was bad because it would put strain on the NHS

I get all my driveby trolls mixed up sometimes

That's about the sum of it

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I did think it was a mix but wondered if the tories adopted a bunch of Corbyn policies (I think they have gone with one or two) then would I vote for them. Of course just because they adopt them it doesn't mean they'll actually go through with it.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

It's a mix of both, but the mix is sharply weighted towards the press side of things. There's also tribalism to think about, too.

thespaceinvader posted:

So did Corbyn's.

Whch is why I say policy is a relatively small part of voting intention.

It's much more framed by the press, the broader media, and the social environment.

i dont think tribalism is as significant these days. e.g. the red wall has gone blue but id expect parts of it to go red again in 2024. labour used to be able to rely on scotland, has lost nearly everything there, but could recover under the right circs.

more significant is that very few constituencies present a choice between two equally matched candidates, and also MPs who are active in their constituency can sometimes prevail even when their party leader takes a kicking. that seems to indicate that not everyone considers GEs to be an opportunity to pick a PM

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Free coffee? Ha! We don't have a canteen at work anymore. The company with the catering contract made all the staff redundant during lockdown and there's no plan to hire anyone back. There are no water coolers, no vending machines, and no food. If you want a cup of coffee you have to bring both a cup and some coffee in yourself.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I keep thinking how hard it is to get involved in anything when you can't really meet up. I'd meant to get more involved in stuff this year, then Covid happened and it's all been a bit poo poo.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Pistol_Pete posted:

I keep thinking how hard it is to get involved in anything when you can't really meet up. I'd meant to get more involved in stuff this year, then Covid happened and it's all been a bit poo poo.

I think it depends to some extent on the skillset of those in the activities you want to get involved with.

Taking my CLP for example: my CLP has 4 branches. The branch I was secretary of until I resigned in January has a FB page and group which have pretty well died since I quit as the new secretary has only had 1 meeting before covid and doesn't seem very interested and had to be arm-twisted into taking the role on as the only person capable of understanding the labour Organize system. So the branch has all but died off.

2 of the branches though are quite active on their FB pages and groups and have organized monthly 'zooms' which seem to have been better attended than regular meetings.

This is something I was trying to push when I was in the party - we are so geographically spread out, and f*k all public transport, let alone the age profile of the branch does not lend itself to people coming out after dark from the sticks in their dodgy old morris minors or whatever they drive if they drive. I tried over a couple of years to get the CLP to bring in online meetings for exec, GC / AMM as well as branch meetings but they kept finding excuses not to. Now they've been pretty well forced into it.

Local amnesty / environmental / sustainable food groups are also doing zooms.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I genuinely cannot believe this is actually true, but the UKMT's very own Podcasting is Praxis Pod has actually been around for a full calendar year! We even managed to put out a pod on average nearly every week. What the hell?

So we decided to throw a big bash and celebrate all that happened in the last 12 months with our very own Praxes Award show.

Find out who:

- Has the Most Bespidered Brains
- Is the Most Owned
- Gets the coveted Joe Biden Memorial Holodeck Award for Longest Stroke
- Goes home with the Award for Outstanding Customer Service in Client Journalism
- and more besides ...

It's a rich and nutritious pod diet. On a slightly more serious note though; genuine thank you to everyone who got involved, recorded with us, listened, retweeted, whatever. You're all good comrades :love:

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1301611474700455942?s=20

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Breath Ray posted:

i dont think tribalism is as significant these days. e.g. the red wall has gone blue but id expect parts of it to go red again in 2024. labour used to be able to rely on scotland, has lost nearly everything there, but could recover under the right circs.

more significant is that very few constituencies present a choice between two equally matched candidates, and also MPs who are active in their constituency can sometimes prevail even when their party leader takes a kicking. that seems to indicate that not everyone considers GEs to be an opportunity to pick a PM

gently caress off you racist poo poo.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Breath Ray posted:

Aren't you that racist oval office we all hate?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think it depends to some extent on the skillset of those in the activities you want to get involved with.

Taking my CLP for example: my CLP has 4 branches. The branch I was secretary of until I resigned in January has a FB page and group which have pretty well died since I quit as the new secretary has only had 1 meeting before covid and doesn't seem very interested and had to be arm-twisted into taking the role on as the only person capable of understanding the labour Organize system. So the branch has all but died off.

2 of the branches though are quite active on their FB pages and groups and have organized monthly 'zooms' which seem to have been better attended than regular meetings.

This is something I was trying to push when I was in the party - we are so geographically spread out, and f*k all public transport, let alone the age profile of the branch does not lend itself to people coming out after dark from the sticks in their dodgy old morris minors or whatever they drive if they drive. I tried over a couple of years to get the CLP to bring in online meetings for exec, GC / AMM as well as branch meetings but they kept finding excuses not to. Now they've been pretty well forced into it.

Local amnesty / environmental / sustainable food groups are also doing zooms.

is the labour Organize system tricky for first timers then? maybe it's something you could do a teach-in on if thats the only thing holding people back from secretary work, unless youre not keen for the CLP to revive under starmer.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/elashton/status/1301585658914447366?s=21

bleak lol

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Junior G-man posted:

I genuinely cannot believe this is actually true, but the UKMT's very own Podcasting is Praxis Pod has actually been around for a full calendar year! We even managed to put out a pod on average nearly every week. What the hell?

Congratulations! I've listened to most of your episodes while doing my weekly household cleaning and my bathroom has become much more Marxistly clean as a result. I'd like to get involved myself, if I wasn't so fumblingly inarticulate when put on the spot in a live situation.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

At least it's only Tories.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Breath Ray posted:

is the labour Organize system tricky for first timers then? maybe it's something you could do a teach-in on if thats the only thing holding people back from secretary work, unless youre not keen for the CLP to revive under starmer.

I'm not in the party anymore so I can't teach anyone anything as I don't have access to systems (understandably).

Also, I find teaching any sort of IT thing to luddites* enormously stressful. It quite literally keeps me awake at night. They asked me to teach them facebook - how hard can pressing 'like' or making a comment be? I would make a post in our closed branch group and say "please go to the original post - by pressing the word 'post' next to where it says 'Jae shared a post' and press a like or make a comment" and they would still all press 'like' in the closed group where noone sees it and you need likes etc on the original public post to get FB to actually share the wretched thing. I was so stressed about the whole thing I finally had to say I couldn't do it.

*by luddite I mean people who have no idea what I mean when they can't find their email attachments which they have saved to their computer and I ask them where is their download folder, people who if you ask them what version of Windows they are on say Word 10, if you ask them what browser they are using, they say Windows.......

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
As a minor pushback against landlords and agencies and whatever, what's a better word or phrase to use to refer to their upcoming inspection? Like these are scheduled on their terms and they come into your home to take pictures of your life to assure the landlord you're worthy to pay their mortgage for them so it seems like you should get to call it something that's a bit more pro tenant when discussing it with them.

Put them on the backfoot when telling them their plumber said he doesn't understand how the bathroom taps wouldn't run dry after he's turned off the water suggesting there's a giant forgotten tank of legionnaires in the loft and how the back gate is likely to drop a concrete lintel on someone's head next stiff wind.

Like when you answer the door, you say thanks for coming to my agent appraisal or whatever, a verbal Tory power stance.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Put all your sex toys on conspicuous display around the house.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

how hard can pressing 'like' or making a comment be?

Considering what happened to RLB, liking and commenting is potentially career ending so...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I dunno if they're still in business but my flat's landlords were the nicest most tolerant and forgiving people I knew to the point they put up with late payments and such with a grace I as a lovely tenant didn't really deserve. I suppose it helped they were a husband-wife team who had one other employee.

Basically please don't guillotine them when the revolution comes, I'm sure they can be reeducated.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

CancerCakes posted:

Considering what happened to RLB, liking and commenting is potentially career ending so...

Ha yes. I was meaning the mechanics of it.

That said, when I was doing the posting on the public pages I kept everything very bland, nothing negative unless it was a share direct from the Labour Party or Welsh Labour official pages and I put settings on the page to block any words/phrases such as "trot" "blue labour" "red tory" "blairite" (because calling someone a blairite was one of the reasons for expelling some Corbyn supporters from the party in 2016!) and various other phrases.

I did lay it on the line that they should assume anything posted on FB was public even if they think it's not especially with the propensity for friends and family to screenshot and share.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

My partner’s boss (who previously tried to steal her holiday entitlement) has been ‘encouraging’ everyone back to the office for a while, even though there’s no need for most of them to be there.

Well, today somebody came back positive for Covid so as a result the whole office is shut down and said boss is running off for a Covid test in the middle of his holiday :waycool:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

CancerCakes posted:

Her main problem was belonging to a party led by a the living embodiment of a wet fart who wouldn't dream of saying "Oh gently caress off you disingenuous cunts" at a bunch of disingenuous oval office 'journalists'

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

kingturnip posted:

Her main problem was belonging to a party led by a the living embodiment of a wet fart who wouldn't dream of saying "Oh gently caress off you disingenuous cunts" at a bunch of disingenuous oval office 'journalists'

Was _the thick of it_ lying to me when it said the trick was to employ someone to do that on your behalf?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

kingturnip posted:

RLB was decent enough but always too wet to grab control of the party. She lacked the drive to do the necessary stuff to ensure her victory.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

RLB was decent enough but always too wet to grab control of the party. She lacked the drive to do the necessary stuff to ensure her victory.

What should she have done?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think she may have had a little more success if she had gone in literally any direction other than "the more leftish safe pair of hands" to combat "the safest pair of hands" and "the BNP safe pair of hands"

None of the candidates were very distinct rhetorically and you were basically voting on which one you trusted least. Whether it would have made a difference in the end though is debatable.

Fits with the general theme of the parliamentary labour left being quite content to look to their own employment first though.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 3, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1301633291615907842?s=20

Stupid oval office didn't even have the courage of Mike Gapes. What a little worm. Clear breach of party rules, get him to gently caress.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think you mean we must have an investigation to confirm how that footage came to exist.

(lol that they would even go that far)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Also think we really need to step back & consider that somehow that stupid press event was actually rehearsed & was still dogshit. Geniuses.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

CancerCakes posted:

Isn't it loving baffling that The Independent has just gotten away with straight up publishing an "anti-semitic conspiracy theory"? Like something so awful that the second place potential leader of the opposition and shadow cabinet member gets sacked for retweeting it you'd think it would demand some level of introspection at least from the wider establishment media actively complicit in such evil but nope, memory holed, served its purpose now we'll all just forget about it.

The argument that lib media actually pursues any of it's woke moral principles is such a loving joke, literally the only principle they consistently and coherently hold to is maintaining the pointless suffering of the poor and vulnerable.

Pistol_Pete posted:

The problem is that New Labour created an entire generation of useless MPs which also means no inspiring MPs, we had some holdovers from the past with strong enough majorities that they couldn't be ousted but the modern left honestly doesn't have a deep bench,

But RLB did nothing wrong, she didn't have the emotive background of Corbyn fine but the issue was that the left of the party membership were demoralised enough that they didn't vote. It's not that they didn't vote for her specifically, it's that they didn't vote, so now we have Starmer and Philips dabbing over the party that created the NHS and edgelord lefty cunts boasting about how above it all they are.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Vitamin P posted:

But RLB did nothing wrong

They were always going to get her out, her experience as Education Minister showed that. But the absolute paper thin bullshitness of it surprised even me. If she did anything wrong it was not having her guard completely up, referring to anything that mentioned Israel at all was going to end badly for her.

I went for a covid test today - it was hard to get an actual appointment but when I got to the drive through there was no one else there. Leant my head out the car, a guy swabbed my mouth, stuck it in my nose and I zoomed off. Probably inside the compound for less than 5 minutes.

The nose swab is completely fine for me - thanks deviated septum from being kicked in the face as a teenager!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Guillotine-em-up We The Revolution is on sale at the minute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLEfdfdZmjU

It's also in the current Humble Bundle with a couple of good sims (911 Operator is weirdly addictive, Elite: Dangerous is, well, Elite) and a couple of interesting-looking other sims including weird cult fav PC Building Simulator.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If anyone can stand to get even angrier, and you haven't yet read reports about the sex offender who murdered two women and kept their remains in a freezer, the BBC have got a piece that highlights what I'm sure are only a portion of the ways in which the Met Police completely hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

In happier news, Rosa has been going from strength to strength after her spay operation last week. She’s increased her body weight by something like 20% since we took her in, and seems to be forming a really good bond with me. Though she does keep jumping on both Digby and Bob when they’re not expecting it..

She was hanging out with me this evening during my D&D game and became absolutely fascinated by Roll20 on my monitor- started trying to pounce the tokens as they were moved about. It was dangerously cute, and even sweeter than my most evil of fudges.

Installing a catform next to my desk was the best idea ever.