Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dale-Taco posted:

I don't understand why Amazon is using bubble mailers. At least Hasbro pulse puts them in a box. It may not have any packaging material but its at least a box.

They just shipped out a ton of exclusive Transformers 2-packs without any shipping materials. They slapped the labels right on the box and mailed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Dale-Taco posted:

I don't understand why Amazon is using bubble mailers. At least Hasbro pulse puts them in a box. It may not have any packaging material but its at least a box.

Because their packing slaves are overworked and forced to box something like 20 items a minute, minimum, otherwise they're fired. Pretty sure they're not even thinking before throwing poo poo in the nearest thing it'll fit in.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Because their packing slaves are overworked and forced to box something like 20 items a minute, minimum, otherwise they're fired.

This is why I don't buy anything from Amazon or use anything owned by Bezos, including whole foods.

But also i don't think they get to pick what they use. Some higher up decided this.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah the amount of times we've been shipped a box of something 1/4 e size is ridiculous.

In other news, once I get back home today I'll be scoping out a nearby target that popfindr says has 6 Beach heads.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Fuzz posted:

Because their packing slaves are overworked and forced to box something like 20 items a minute, minimum, otherwise they're fired. Pretty sure they're not even thinking before throwing poo poo in the nearest thing it'll fit in.

Actually a computer tells you what packaging to put each item in based on on what else the customer ordered according to the volume of each item. If it came in a bubble mailer that's because it was a single item Prime order, and was listed in the system as flexible or non-fragile.

If you want to avoid bubble mailers, order multiple items at once and select "Don't group individually" at check out. That way you'll at least get a box with some air-bags, which is the best you're going to get from Amazon.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 3, 2020

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Rhyno posted:

Cool, Storm Shadow arrived with a crushed box and I planned to return it but the drat kitten munched on the box while I was at work.

So? It's not like Amazon is going to reject that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cloks posted:

So? It's not like Amazon is going to reject that.

I dunno, I've had to fight a few times to return poo poo in the last year. I had a book arrive totally destroyed and it took 6 weeks to get refunded.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's a box. It goes in the garbage. Who cares how it looks?

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Holy poo poo, I just checked the sold on ebay for Baroness. Did not expect it to range from $80-180

PF shows one in stock at my local target, I’m off to make some money!

DrChud fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 3, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

It's a box. It goes in the garbage. Who cares how it looks?

As I said, Amazon fought me on a damage return in the past.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

That's wild. I've never had amazon fight me on anything. Third party sellers a couple of times, but never Amazon.

One time they sent me an empty box and I sent them an email saying "you sent me an empty box" and they said "Cool, we have already shipped a replacement, please print out this packing slip, put it on our empty box, and mail it back to us."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's only been toys or TPBs. Nothing else.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

That's wild. I've never had amazon fight me on anything. Third party sellers a couple of times, but never Amazon.

One time they sent me an empty box and I sent them an email saying "you sent me an empty box" and they said "Cool, we have already shipped a replacement, please print out this packing slip, put it on our empty box, and mail it back to us."

Might be a factor of how many returns are tied to the account? They never doubt or delay me, but I rarely have issues and they generally have resolved with "uh here's a new one." Someone more prone to returns may be under heavier scrutiny on account of Amazon is a greedy hell hole

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Heh, yeah. We've returned a LOT of poo poo.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Heh, yeah. We've returned a LOT of poo poo.

I’ve returned a massive amount of poo poo also and the only item ever they question was a lava lamp I bought last year as a xmas gift for a friend. It looked like someone returned it because the box was ripped, missing packing material, and it looked like someone shook the hell out of it when it was heated and fluid. I didn’t even want a refund just exchange. After some back and forth they made me send pics then they finally said they would send a new one. Only issue I ever had, poo poo sometime I return stuff and they were even like here’s your refund, don’t bother sending the item back , enjoy it.

DrChud fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 3, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Never had an issue with anything but toys or comics, I wore a pair of shoes for a week and returned them.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Storm Shadow came in a bubble mailer also but luckily the box was fine. Delivered by UPS. Should I smash it as a sign of solidarity?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah you can get wide range of customer support experiences from Amazon.

During the first couple of months of covid when mail got really bad, Amazon was just refunding anything that missed their delivery range even though of course they knew full well it was sitting in a depot somewhere and would show up.

Similarly, I recently bought an Iron Man HT figure through ebay. I'm in Canada so it went through global shipping. When it arrived, I tried moving one arm and it fell right off. Seller was sure it was fine when they sent it, but something like that couldn't be shipping damage. The plastic hinge was just split and my turning the arm snapped what tiny amount of plastic remained still together. That happens from manipulating the arm, not just some bumping around in a box. Still, it wasn't necessarily his fault. It was just a guy selling a figure himself, not a company. He might not have known, the damage might only have happened when he put it away in the box etc.

It felt lovely to have to report it but I'm not going to write off the $600. As we all probably know, ebay tends to settle cases where the buyer and seller can't agree themselves with a big 'gently caress you' to the seller. However it turns out in the case of global shipping because ebay/Pitney Bowes handles things in between, they seem to just accept responsibility themselves sight unseen. So he kept the money, I got mine refunded, and I get to keep a one armed Iron Man.

(Although what's with the lovely plastic joint for a heavy die cast arm, Hot Toys?)

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Fuzz posted:

I loving hate this addiction/hobby. I would never do this poo poo for any other line, but GI Joe was the only toy I had growing up, so they're super nostalgic for me.

Fuzz, shoot me a PM, some reason it won’t let me message you. I might have something for ya. It could be a toy, it could be a dong pic.

:iiam:

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
Yeah, poo poo seems more random I reckon

gently caress em

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Kingtheninja posted:

In other news, once I get back home today I'll be scoping out a nearby target that popfindr says has 6 Beach heads.

Welp, surprising no one the target was completely cleared out. The guy I talked to thinks if they did have 6 someone probably came in at open to buy them all. It's really hard to keep myself from tracking down dead ends.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DrChud posted:

Fuzz, shoot me a PM, some reason it won’t let me message you. I might have something for ya. It could be a toy, it could be a dong pic.

A cobra commander

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So much for that one per customer thing huh.

Round trip ticket to the Eternia set is $215. Probably need a hotel for one night. $75. Then boxes and foam peanuts to ship it back here. Probably $150+ there.

And that's still cheaper than almost every other option currently for sale.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Rhyno posted:

Round trip ticket to the Eternia set is $215. Probably need a hotel for one night. $75. Then boxes and foam peanuts to ship it back here. Probably $150+ there.

This reminds me that I saw an almost-complete set get put up at Mike's Vintage the other week, and choked on my drink when I saw the price. I had no idea it went for that much.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEM_uG0huTb/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's more than tripled in price since 2017 and that's actually not terrible compared to Ebay prices. poo poo, that's a very viable option and it's within easy driving distance.

Edit: Welp, I shot it to the wife to see what she thinks.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 3, 2020

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Not gonna lie I initially read that as “Welp, I shot the wife”.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

If you pay in cash Mike typically will lower the price the amount of taxes / cc processing!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

I've been thinking about that since I was the one who found the Twitter pic and posted it here. I wonder now if it wasn't something that one Target specifically did, and knowing corporate maybe made them stop.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

If you pay in cash Mike typically will lower the price the amount of taxes / cc processing!

I sent them a message about either paying outright or putting a deposit on it. I am at minimum 9 days away from being able to drive out there. Do you know if they do layaway?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

DrChud posted:

PMed for dong pic. :pray:

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I have this image in my head of someone at on Reddit posting a photo of this guy he saw at the airport. In the photo there is a TSA agent looking in a carry on that is lined full with MOTU figures and one pair of underwear.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean this is entirely a possible scenario.

Wife says if I want it I should buy it. So just waiting to hear back from the store.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I sent them a message about either paying outright or putting a deposit on it. I am at minimum 9 days away from being able to drive out there. Do you know if they do layaway?

I don't know if he does layaway or not. Also, if you are going to make a trip to buy it you might call first to make sure they are open. He closes randomly some times if something personal comes up. I'm about 45 minutes away and have driven up only find out they were closed.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 3, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah I planned to call ahead. It's just under 2 & 1/2 hours away so I can be there fairly early. Hopefully they let me at least put a deposit on it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I didn't find much on Thingiverse(unless I don't know the right keywords) but is there a site for 3d printer files for replacement components for old toy lines? My parents still have my old Terrordrome and Space Shuttle sitting around at their house and I sometimes get the urge to try restoring them.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Man, I'm not judging at all, but I thought I was hardcore (and possibly crazy) for flying to HeroesCon in Charlotte last summer, just for one day, with nothing but a roll-aboard bag full of TPBs to get signed. I got there early in the morning and flew home that evening, met almost every creator I hoped to meet, and still got to attend a JLI panel with Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis. It was an exhausting day that made me think "I'm getting too old for this poo poo" on multiple levels, but I had a great time and don't regret it at all.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Flying during a pandemic in one of the hardest hit countries in the world for a toy.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Vintersorg posted:

Flying during a pandemic in one of the hardest hit countries in the world for a toy.

clerk: sir are you flying for pleasure or business today?
Rhyno: ...
clerk: ...
Rhyno: ...............................b-business..

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I didn't find much on Thingiverse(unless I don't know the right keywords) but is there a site for 3d printer files for replacement components for old toy lines? My parents still have my old Terrordrome and Space Shuttle sitting around at their house and I sometimes get the urge to try restoring them.

You may have more luck on Sketchfab, Cults3D, or CG Trader. I occasionally find old Kenner parts on those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Louisgod posted:

clerk: sir are you flying for pleasure or business today?
Rhyno: ...
clerk: ...
Rhyno: ...............................b-business..

Hey man when toys are concerned, Rhyno is strictly business.