Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Sportman posted:

Hmm, I definitely never thought I needed a press, but now I'm questioning myself.

I dont usually fry my tofu, will I still see an improvement? Is there an advantage to the kind that screws down vs the tub ones with elastic?

It makes the biggest difference when you fry the tofu (with or without a dredge) and then toss it in sauce or a stir fry. You would get less noticeable results with methods where you cook the tofu with more moisture, since that's going to stop it from crisping up as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Regardless of the cooking method, your tofu will marinate better the more liquid you've pressed out of it. Especially if your marinade is oil based.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Thumposaurus posted:

You're not going to be making pizza in an air fryer if that's your primary concern for it.
Maybe you could make pizza rolls or bagel bites.

When pizza's on a bagel you can have pizza from an air fryer anytime.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’ve made pizza in my mom’s air fryer and it was passable as a frozen foods pizza

Chicken parm was kind of disappointing because the crust was blonde while the chicken got over cooked

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Anyone here have a speed oven? I'm thinking about getting one in my kitchen remodel but they cost like 2 grand. Are they worth it?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

therobit posted:

Anyone here have a speed oven? I'm thinking about getting one in my kitchen remodel but they cost like 2 grand. Are they worth it?

I had to look this up, glad to see Donaghy finally got that third vection working.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

If I didn't have a tiny rear end kitchen in my studio, I'd probably get a good convection toaster oven. I use my regular oven just to reheat much more than my microwave.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

therobit posted:

I have the Jenn-Air speed oven. I was going to get the Bosch as they have a better reputation as a company but the Bosch speed oven works of a regular household 15A circuit and that suggested that it would be pretty under-powered for doing serious cooking. Having trouble getting up to and maintaining temp.

We bought it to reclaim space as it fits in where our microwave did before it crapped out and mostly replaces the toaster oven that was taking up a lot of room. I say mostly because we bought a small toaster to make toast with rather than futz with the oven/speed oven and making toast that way.

It works just like a microwave on the microwave setting. It's used multiple times a day so, no complaints there.
It works as a good second oven for convection baking or roasting. So also no complaints there the few times we've used it for that. (also excellent for reheating foods that suck when reheated in a microwave but that you don't want to get the whole oven going for). It comes to temp quick, holds temp really well and cooks nicely. You can even have the table rotate so you get more even cooking.

I have never once used the speed cook function that mixes microwave and convection heating, I suppose I should try it some time.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Murgos posted:

I have the Jenn-Air speed oven. I was going to get the Bosch as they have a better reputation as a company but the Bosch speed oven works of a regular household 15A circuit and that suggested that it would be pretty under-powered for doing serious cooking. Having trouble getting up to and maintaining temp.

We bought it to reclaim space as it fits in where our microwave did before it crapped out and mostly replaces the toaster oven that was taking up a lot of room. I say mostly because we bought a small toaster to make toast with rather than futz with the oven/speed oven and making toast that way.

It works just like a microwave on the microwave setting. It's used multiple times a day so, no complaints there.
It works as a good second oven for convection baking or roasting. So also no complaints there the few times we've used it for that. (also excellent for reheating foods that suck when reheated in a microwave but that you don't want to get the whole oven going for). It comes to temp quick, holds temp really well and cooks nicely. You can even have the table rotate so you get more even cooking.

I have never once used the speed cook function that mixes microwave and convection heating, I suppose I should try it some time.

Do you ever use it for or do you think it is well suited to keeping stuff warm while you finish up another dish? I'm worried the convection might dry stuff out...

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

therobit posted:

Do you ever use it for or do you think it is well suited to keeping stuff warm while you finish up another dish? I'm worried the convection might dry stuff out...

I have not. Mine will allow you to set it to 170F which I would think is low enough not to dry out most foods too much if left for a short period.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

When I use an oven at its lowest setting to keep food warm, I put a damp tea towel over it and it keeps things pretty nice.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Midniter posted:

Absolutely. You can just toss all of the ingredients in the air fryer and turn it on. As they cook, their specific gravities will separate them into the normal layering you'd expect with a pizza. I like to toss in a little chipotle for some of that latin kick.
Is this some sort of obscure joke or something?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I don't think there's anything obscure about it

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mystes posted:

Is this some sort of obscure joke or something?

Did you hear the "woosh" as you read it?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I ended up buying the 6qt Cosori air fryer and don't regret it. It does 90% of what I would use a countertop convection oven for - reheating single portions, cooking finger foods for my toddler, and acting as a second oven for cooking sides. If needed, it can go in a cabinet, which is important to us in our current place (may not apply to everyone).

Oh and the specific gravity thing works with tacos, too. Best part is the tortillas naturally curl up as they die.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

This is the waffle iron my wife and I use. We've had it for years with zero issue. Big fans since the squares are small and aren't deep (kinda like Waffle House, but slightly larger). Was never a fan of big Belgian waffles, so this was completely perfect.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Discussion Quorum posted:

I ended up buying the 6qt Cosori air fryer and don't regret it. It does 90% of what I would use a countertop convection oven for - reheating single portions, cooking finger foods for my toddler, and acting as a second oven for cooking sides. If needed, it can go in a cabinet, which is important to us in our current place (may not apply to everyone).

Oh and the specific gravity thing works with tacos, too. Best part is the tortillas naturally curl up as they die.

Speaking of air friers - what are the good air fryer/toaster ovens? My wife and I are on different schedules/meal plans currently and so it often doesn't feel great starting our oven up for a single person's serving of food.

The kind of things we plan on cooking: tofu, toast, french fries, chicken breasts, shrimp, baked potatoes. Being able to do toast is mandatory as it'd be replacing our toaster.

Price-wise, we'd prefer if it was under $200.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I think if a toaster oven is an option, even a mediocre toaster oven is going to be more useful than any air fryer.

Thay said, as far as air fryers go, I like the fact that the Cosori has a square basket (not round) and has a few other QOL features that make it more usable as a compact general purpose convection oven instead of just an "air fryer." The 5.8qt is a good size for what I need (I'm generally cooking for 2 adults + a kid and it's perfect for making a side of, say, roasted potatoes while something else is in the oven). There is a smaller version available that I believe is otherwise the same.

I have never tried making toast with it though.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The previously linked Breville countertop oven is pretty great. It has more or less replaced my big oven. Convection works well, it toasts, it broils. And it doesn’t heat up the whole kitchen.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I don’t think I understand the difference between air fryer and toaster oven.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
From what I've gathered, the air fryer gets the air moving like crazy. A standard toaster oven doesn't. A convection oven does but not as much. I'd stick with the convection IMO. Although I've heard great things about air fryers as long as you stop thinking of it as fryer.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Air fryers have baskets like more traditional oil fryers. They're not nearly as versatile as a countertop convection oven (or even a toaster oven) although they are great at certain things, like cooking pre-made frozen crap like pizza rolls, chicken nuggets, mozzarella sticks etc. A countertop oven can do a whole lot more, it just doesn't do those things quite as well because they don't move the air as well as air fryers tend to.

The countertop oven would be my first purchase.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

^^^^Beaten

Mordiceius posted:

I don’t think I understand the difference between air fryer and toaster oven.

Ultimately air fryers are just a fancy marketing name for a convection oven. Supposedly they can move more air and cook faster, but I really haven't seen much of a difference in the final product vs a decent convection toaster oven. I guess you can get results a faster, but it's always felt like a waste of countertop space if you've already got a convection toaster oven.

And if the air fryer can't cook crispy food better than a convection toaster oven, it's just worst device over all. Why get it over a comparable convection toaster oven? It's more annoying to clean, it can not do toast, and (with the pull out drawer style air fryers) kinda a pain in the rear end to get floppy stuff into like cookie dough.

Still got to hand it to who ever came up with the name, it's certainly managed to help move product.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 3, 2020

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I was today years old when I learned that "convection oven" isn't just another name for your average full size oven.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

I was today years old when I learned that "convection oven" isn't just another name for your average full size oven.

You need to unlearn that. Convection ovens have fans that circulate the air in the oven which speeds cooking and gives better browning, generally speaking. So a regular oven or toaster oven isn’t convection, only the ones designated at such that have fans to move the air.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
they're the ovens in which one cooks convections

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of countertop ovens, anyone see this? Price is high but not ridiculous.

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-oven/

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Speaking of countertop ovens, anyone see this? Price is high but not ridiculous.

drat i don't have $600 for this but steam injection and waterless low-temp "sous vide" cooking sound nice

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

gently caress I need this for bread alone. But it also is double what I can/would spend.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I don't understand what sous vide mode is.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
someone asked me last year abt steam
ovens and at the time i had never heard of such a thing

i barely remember how they worked but it like misted the food with steam in addition to heat? like a food sauna? they were extremely expensive; that i do remember

anyway i haven’t thought abt them in quite a while until i remembered just now. ok thanks

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

This would be even more tempting if it was designed in a way that would permit under-cabinet mounting.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

When I was like 10 I think I got confused about this too because a lot if time in older writings you see "conventional" oven too, to distinguish from microwave ovens. And convention looks like convection.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I don't understand what sous vide mode is.

What I'm getting from their materials is that is just a convection heat + steam to help reduce moisture loss.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

.Z. posted:

What I'm getting from their materials is that is just a convection heat + steam to help reduce moisture loss.

+ marketing

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo thanks for linking this!

As someone who was about to ask this thread if they make any combi ovens that don’t need three-phase power, I guess I have my answer.

No joke I’d get a wall unit if it were any good.

E: after reading that I’d definitely be game for a 240V in-wall model that I could plumb a water supply line to.

Hed fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 4, 2020

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Water conducts heat a fuckton better than air does so while steam injection does increase humidity it also increases the rate of heat transfer. Your food can’t suffer from evaporative cooling if the surroundings are at 100% humidity already. Which you might be interested in.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

100% humidity at 450F has to be a ton of water.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

VelociBacon posted:

100% humidity at 450F has to be a ton of water.

It would be a ton (literally) of pressure. I expect it's limited to temperatures below 212.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Murgos posted:

It would be a ton (literally) of pressure. I expect it's limited to temperatures below 212.
Yeah, from the website, the device specs say:

quote:

Temperature Range: 77–482°F (25–250°C)
Temperature Range in Sous Vide Mode: 77–212°F (25–100°C)