Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Driving a forklift unlicensed was my favorite part of my last job, next to crawling into the trash compactor to get something unstuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

forklift driving fuckin ruled at my last job and i miss it

its a massive rush and a legal thrill

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's being able to operate it and there's being able to operate it well, people who can do it well are legit impressive.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

GD_American posted:

Proud forklift drivers make me laugh because it's a skillset and certification you easily learn to do other jobs. I was a millwright and all the training and retraining and certifications I ever took over the years probably add up to less than a week of work.

It's like being a proud photocopier.

That’s nothing, I was a computer touched at the corporate hq for a national retailer and my entire team got forklift certification because the training was available and gently caress it. I vaguely recall management not finding the notion as funny as we did.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

OwlFancier posted:

Pallet jacks are like forklifts but two dimensional and also you have to be swoler and also you sometimes run yourself over.

Funny you say that, I ran over and hosed up my big toe, and that's why I ended up leaving that job, also they didn't provide insurance.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

GD_American posted:

Eat poo poo!

I have driven forklifts and ran a copy center and I can tell you with absolute certainty that it is much harder and more complicated to be a very good user of copiers and printers than an excellent forklift operator.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm a twice-certified forklift operator, AMN.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

GD_American posted:

Proud forklift drivers make me laugh because it's a skillset and certification you easily learn to do other jobs. I was a millwright and all the training and retraining and certifications I ever took over the years probably add up to less than a week of work.

I love all the people trying to tell me they have certifications from OHSA for forklift driving and they're super hard to get and rare.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm a twice-certified forklift operator, AMN.

Naw, I'm good...Oh wait, naw nevermind.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

The Bloop posted:

Eat poo poo!

I have driven forklifts and ran a copy center and I can tell you with absolute certainty that it is much harder and more complicated to be a very good user of copiers and printers than an excellent forklift operator.
Printers are the devil, though.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

LifeSunDeath posted:

YOU, ARE, NOT, A CERTIFIED FORKLIFT OPERATOR!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Scholtz posted:

Driving a forklift unlicensed was my favorite part of my last job, next to crawling into the trash compactor to get something unstuck.

You haven't lived until you've driven a forklift into the trash compactor without a license

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Printing is easy" says person who has never done printing more complex than a home printer.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

lockout/tagout is for cucks

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

The Bloop posted:

it is much harder and more complicated to be a very good user of copiers and printers than an excellent forklift operator.

I completely believe this, btw

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Warbird posted:

That’s nothing, I was a computer touched at the corporate hq for a national retailer and my entire team got forklift certification because the training was available and gently caress it. I vaguely recall management not finding the notion as funny as we did.
I absolutely would have joined in on getting certified, can't imagine why management didn't love it

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I work in railways, and one of the main certifications everyone who's actually doing real work has to get is "Don't Touch", which is literally a course in not touching anything you weren't specifically instructed to touch.

I work in infosec and would presumably fail very hard. I want to give it a try some day though.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Infinitum posted:

Hey I worked very hard for someone to pay me to go to a place for 1 weekend to learn "Don't be a dumbfuck while operating heavy machinery"

It is a very complex and difficult skill not many can ever obtain

You fool, you absolute buffoon. You missed the entire point of the course.

The point is that you can be a dumbfuck while operating heavy machinery, just make sure you give a little toot on the forklifts horn as youre doing so.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You fool, you absolute buffoon. You missed the entire point of the course.

The point is that you can be a dumbfuck while operating heavy machinery, just make sure you give a little toot on the forklifts horn as youre doing so.

Everything should come with a dumbfuck horn tbqh

toot toot

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I installed some artificial turf in my backyard recently. The dude in the warehouse picking my order was driving a forklift with this 12 foot long, 600 lb pole on the end to pick up the rolls.

I asked him how long it took him to get good at that prong. He said it took about a week to be not-terrible, and 4 months to get fast with it.

The warehouse only had one, presumably to stop people from jousting.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Everything with a dumbfuck horn? The hearing would envy the deaf.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

BonHair posted:

I work in railways, and one of the main certifications everyone who's actually doing real work has to get is "Don't Touch", which is literally a course in not touching anything you weren't specifically instructed to touch.

I work in infosec and would presumably fail very hard. I want to give it a try some day though.

I used to work NS a million years ago and that doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. I wish I had known about it back then to see if we had an equivalent I could have taken a swing at.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

New season of The Punisher looking good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You don't need a pike attachment for the forklift to joust you can do it with the regular forks.

Also fence, if you want to get fancy.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

You don't need a pike attachment for the forklift to joust you can do it with the regular forks.

Also fence, if you want to get fancy.

I prefer a forklift trident and net.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Need a remake of that forklift safety video with this thing asap.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Fools Infinite posted:

Need a remake of that forklift safety video with this thing asap.

Staplerfahrer Vlad

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

kdrudy posted:

Staplerfahrer Vlad

:drac:

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
I used to have to go to a carpet wholesaler and let me tell you there are few places as nerve wracking as a giant warehouse with like 6 forklifts all with carpet roll spikes driving around at full speed honking madly

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

Kefir :colbert:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nah that's that guy Steven Crowder, I think Kiefer is in The Fugitive right now

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

canyoneer posted:

I installed some artificial turf in my backyard recently. The dude in the warehouse picking my order was driving a forklift with this 12 foot long, 600 lb pole on the end to pick up the rolls.

I asked him how long it took him to get good at that prong. He said it took about a week to be not-terrible, and 4 months to get fast with it.

The warehouse only had one, presumably to stop people from jousting.

Working at Lowe's we used the exact same thing to get rolls of carpet. It always made me nervous.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Buttermilk. :colbert:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Technically this if areosolized:

cheese vapor would be the next softest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair