Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I bought a whole (1 pound) red snapper to smoke. What should I do with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Smoked fish dip/salad.

Cure and smoke it like lox?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t have time to cure it, but that’s a thought for next time. Does that work with snapper? I don’t know much about fish, I’m realizing.

Decided to stuff it with lime, garlic, and thyme and throw it on with some unidentified wood from the “pork and chicken” side of my collection. I think maybe it’s apple? Also threw some thyme on the coals when I put it on, because why not.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
I ended up fixing my Louisiana 900 series pellet grill. Figured for $100 in parts I could bring it back to life instead of just blowing cash on something else. One thing I love about it is the sliding plate that exposes the fire pot, which allows you to get an incredibly hot sear action when desired. Some other pellet grill manufacturers may have this nowadays.

Drunk Beekeeper fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 27, 2020

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

10+lb briskets for $84 shipped (before taxes): https://www.bradsdeals.com/p/461165?c_id=5232&u_id=67424549&d=082620

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 27, 2020

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Is there a grilling thread somewhere?

My gas grill has five burners and the three in the middle don’t get nearly as hot as the two on the ends. One barely seems to get very hot at all. I noticed those three burner tubes had cracks in them. Tried replacing the burner tubes but no luck. Same issue.

Tried resetting the regulator and that doesn’t seem to be the issue.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I had a similar issue with my gas smoker and the problem ended up being some debris blocking airflow inside the burner. Try pulling one of the burners out if you can and take a peek inside.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Spiders will often bugger up gas grill burners.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Yeah I replaced the burners and same issue.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Is the flame higher or lower on the bad burners? A good blue flame with yellow tips?

It may be a blocked venturi tube between the regulator and the burner. It could be the valve in the dial is buggered. It could be a bad air/propane mixture and you may need to adjust the air shutter.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

Is the flame higher or lower on the bad burners? A good blue flame with yellow tips?

It may be a blocked venturi tube between the regulator and the burner. It could be the valve in the dial is buggered. It could be a bad air/propane mixture and you may need to adjust the air shutter.

Going to try adjusting the air vents on the burner tubes next. Although I’m starting to suspect it’s the tubes between the regulator and burners.

The flames look fine when I take off the grates and flavorizors. But there definitely seems to be more yellow when it’s all back on. Even the good burners.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Anybody ever done a Wagyu brisket? I think the most I’ve ever splurged for is a prime or select. Thinking about doing one to celebrate my birthday.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Bob A Feet posted:

Anybody ever done a Wagyu brisket? I think the most I’ve ever splurged for is a prime or select. Thinking about doing one to celebrate my birthday.

My dad gave me a 12lb wagyu brisket for my birthday last year. I made pastrami out of it and it was unreal.

A bbq place near me does a wagyu brisket in the traditional central Texas style and it is excellent.

If you can afford it, absolutely worth it.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I have an electric smoker dilemma... mine is outside in direct sun and I have no where to move it. It is fine right up until we get the heat wave we have had for the last month, and then it seems to be perpetually too hot to run at 225 and have the heating element kick on. It only wants to go if I let it cool for a bit (open door, put liquid int he catch pan) or if I bump the heat.

I'm in an apartment, so I am stuck with electric. any ideas beyond what I just said?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I have an electric smoker dilemma... mine is outside in direct sun and I have no where to move it. It is fine right up until we get the heat wave we have had for the last month, and then it seems to be perpetually too hot to run at 225 and have the heating element kick on. It only wants to go if I let it cool for a bit (open door, put liquid int he catch pan) or if I bump the heat.

I'm in an apartment, so I am stuck with electric. any ideas beyond what I just said?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvBfHwUxHIk

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Can you open the door a crack and still have the latch hooked on it? So it doesn't swing open any further. You could test and see what kind of temps you get with that. You'll probably lose a lot of smoke though.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Don't pre-heat it. Put the meat in, put the woodchips in, then turn it on. That should get it enough smoke. Especially important on lower-temp smokes like fish.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Lots of stuff smokes just fine at 250-275, including brisket and pork butt.

(Or, yeah, a sunshade.)

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Just chucked about 30lbs of pork shoulder into my MES30. Trying to do the "hot and fast" method. My MES seems to float from 275-315 when I have it cranked.

Maybe I'll be done in 10 hours?

Also testing out a new bluetooth thermometer/probe setup.

Edit, so much for "hot and fast". I have only made it back up to 253 in the chamber after 90 minutes....

I'm sure this poo poo is going to finish at like 4am. Just like every pork shoulder I do. At least I don't need it until tomorrow afternoon.

Almost 5 hours in, in the stall. The shoulders that are probed are sitting between 169 and 171. Smoker internal at 265.

Moey fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 29, 2020

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

hahahaha, Yeah I was keeping my fingers crossed for a better solution than the most obvious one.

Thanks guys

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
Had an opportunity to cook some ribs & chicken today during a break in some hurricane showers. Did all pecan this time & tried to load it up to see how much smoke flavor I could get on the meat. As it would turn out a lot. Good results all around.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
made some ribs the other day i was really happy with. pretty simple preparation just used some salt, brown sugar, paprika and garlic powder as rub then smoked them in a big box grill using the offset method with a water pan and charcoal + wood chips. took about 5 hours, i know they are done when i can push my finger into the meatiest part and it gives in. no meat falling off the bone but there is clean separation from the bone.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
other side

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Anyone got recommendations on Gravity smokers by master built?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Tried another 5lb flat in the portable electric. I think it smoked right.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Was having some company over and decided to grill up some chicken. Also smoked Italian sausage, hot cherry peppers, and the chicken giblets. They were done in about two hours and made great little appetizers before the chicken.

Except for the giblets. The neck went to me and the gizzard went to the dog.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I got my first full packer brisket to smoke this weekend, any consensus on separating the flat and the point or doing them together?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I got my first full packer brisket to smoke this weekend, any consensus on separating the flat and the point or doing them together?

I asked this a couple of weeks ago to no answer, because I was planning on doing a whole packer and doing burnt ends with the point and slicing the flat. What I ended up doing was partially filet the point from the flat, but not completely, so I could season all up and in between that area and then laid the point back in its place. Smoked it all in one piece, separated them and wrapped the flat and tossed it in a cooler while I cubed the point and turned it into burnt ends. Worked out really well for me actually.

But I guess if you’re not planning on doing burnt ends with the point it’s kind of moot advice :shobon:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't answer because I wasnt sure for burnt ends.

But for a regular smoke, the notes go like this:

-Don't seperate point and flat, though you can cut out as much fat in between as you can manage
-Dry brine it for a day
-Inject it with beef broth + whatever else you want
-Beef rub
-Smoke at 225°F
-Crutch it at 160°F
-Total time should be 8-12 hours.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 3, 2020

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

T-Square posted:

I asked this a couple of weeks ago to no answer, because I was planning on doing a whole packer and doing burnt ends with the point and slicing the flat. What I ended up doing was partially filet the point from the flat, but not completely, so I could season all up and in between that area and then laid the point back in its place. Smoked it all in one piece, separated them and wrapped the flat and tossed it in a cooler while I cubed the point and turned it into burnt ends. Worked out really well for me actually.

But I guess if you’re not planning on doing burnt ends with the point it’s kind of moot advice :shobon:

I'm thinking I want to make burnt ends too for a little variety.

um excuse me posted:

I didn't answer because I wasnt sure for burnt ends.

But for a regular smoke, the notes go like this:

-Don't seperate point and flat, though you can cut out as much fat in between as you can manage
-Dry brine it for a day
-Inject it with beef broth + whatever else you want
-Beef rub
-Smoke at 225°F
-Crutch it at 160°F
-Total time should be 8-12 hours.

I'm thinking it's going to take at least 18 hours to do the whole 20 pounds. I usually put the rub on right before smoking; when do you inject, same time as dry brine or right before rub?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Meathead recommends injecting before dry brining with salt.

Also, time will always be a ballpark estimate. Every cut of meat is different. Start earlier than you think you need and cook until it hits that magic number, 203. You can wrap it and keep it warm in a cooler lined with towels if it's done early. Just don't let it get below 140 for too long.

As for the rub, it will have more cling the earlier you apply it, so you can do it right after salting. Not the end of the world if you wait and do it before putting it in the smoker though.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I'm thinking it's going to take at least 18 hours to do the whole 20 pounds. I usually put the rub on right before smoking; when do you inject, same time as dry brine or right before rub?

Lord have mercy. The ones I usually find are 14-16 pounds.

^what he said for injection

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I've only done a couple now that they've actually been reasonably priced here. I separate them but that's more of a real estate issue since I use a Weber kettle and don't think I'd have room for a full packer.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
20lbs is Real Big. If you do the whole thing I would definitely plan for over 14 hours, or just separate it.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I'm thinking I want to make burnt ends too for a little variety.

Ended up at 17+ pounds after trimming. Left point and flat connected, but will separate at ~185 to make burnt ends.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Ended up at 17+ pounds after trimming. Left point and flat connected, but will separate at ~185 to make burnt ends.

And the deckle is done after 9 hours. I really give up trying to time smoking meat. This can't be that hard.

Diet Sodium
Apr 29, 2009

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

And the deckle is done after 9 hours. I really give up trying to time smoking meat. This can't be that hard.

This is the biggest lesson I have learned when smoking anything. Don’t rely on trying to time it. Every piece of meat is different. You don’t know when your piece of meat will be done. An educated guess is the best you can do. I tried to be so scientific about the process when I first started, but you can’t think of it that way. Smoking is very much about rolling with the punches. It’s very hard to say “dinner is at 5:00pm” when smoking. I’ve found it’s always better to start way earlier than you think you need to and hold in a cooler until you are ready to eat. But sometimes it’s done way earlier and you have to deal with that too. Smoking is a roller coaster of emotions and disappointing your guest or your wife’s expectations on when the food will be ready. It’s also almost always delicious.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I stand by my claim that brisket requires between four seconds and nine days per pound, every time.

Brisket is a big muscle. Lots of opportunity for variation in internal structure and composition. It has to taste really good or nobody would both with the “I wonder what meal I’m cooking this for?” lottery.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Subjunctive posted:

I stand by my claim that brisket requires between four seconds and nine days per pound, every time.

Brisket is a big muscle. Lots of opportunity for variation in internal structure and composition. It has to taste really good or nobody would both with the “I wonder what meal I’m cooking this for?” lottery.

Oh yeah, without a doubt. I'm not taking warm brisket to my mom tomorrow, but I'm eating some really delicious burnt ends tonight.

We can reheat tomorrow and it will still kick rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

TheReverend posted:

Anyone got recommendations on Gravity smokers by master built?
Meh quality, but great smoke flavor. I don't regret buying one.