Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Midjack posted:

The GS15/10 cap is statutory so regardless of what kind of pay system you have that’s the biggest number you can get from the government without being a Senior (X) Service employee.
That's not true. GS caps at $170,800; in SF which has the highest locality, you hit that at 14-10 and 15-5 and higher, but at SEC the cap is $253,300.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

That's not true. GS caps at $170,800; in SF which has the highest locality, you hit that at 14-10 and 15-5 and higher, but at SEC the cap is $253,300.

Didn’t know that.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

Gotta compete with the banking industry from which they come and to which they'll return for even more pay after serving at SEC...

There are a few hiring authorities out there that allow more pay than Congress. EPA and HHS have title 42 appointments

I think that agencies that hire a lot of bankers and lawyers are generally given more leeway on pay bands.

Czolgosz
Sep 13, 2007
I'll be the Lee Harvey Oswald to your Jack Kennedy.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Every time someone says "GS-11" I get the far-away look in my eyes and try once again to find data on the number of total jobs broken down by GS, but I have yet to stumble upon this data if it is indeed out there. All to "prove" my pet theory, one that is almost certainly untrue, that there are fewer positions at 11 available than there are at 12.

I am not sure whether the data would actually look more like a bell curve or some bimodal 5/12-heavy nightmare but dammit I wish I could find this anyway

I do think, though this seems much more likely to be true based on the days when I literally searched every federal job below 12 in the entire world, that GS-1/2 barely exist. I did see an exciting opportunity to be a lifeguard at a military base in Italy for part-time GS-1 money once, though

Your pet theory is correct. As of the end of 2019, there were 191,000 GS-11 federal employees and 288,000 GS-12. If you want to explore more, fire up Internet Explorer (yes, really) and head to https://fedscope.opm.gov. (There are fewer than 2,000 GS 1/2 employees.)

Alucard posted:

I think that agencies that hire a lot of bankers and lawyers are generally given more leeway on pay bands.
VA (lots of doctors, nurses, dentists... podiatrists) is weird about pay, too.

Czolgosz fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 4, 2020

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Of course, there are also agencies like mine that don't even use GS.

Mine doesn't and I don't understand any of the pay structure or steps that the full-time people get. I don't even know how to even go from grade 6 to grade 7 in my own job or if it's even possible.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
At least in the Service Centers, our track is 5-7-9 then 11-12. I’ve been stuck at 12 for years and there are only like 20 non-management 13s in my location.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
IRS was part of Trump's weird deference scheme but now guess who's also part of it?

https://twitter.com/RepDonBeyer/status/1302018729144967169

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edit: nope

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Czolgosz posted:

Your pet theory is correct. As of the end of 2019, there were 191,000 GS-11 federal employees and 288,000 GS-12. If you want to explore more, fire up Internet Explorer (yes, really) and head to https://fedscope.opm.gov. (There are fewer than 2,000 GS 1/2 employees.)
This is utterly amazing and I cherish you

Time to literally set this as my Internet Explorer homepage

Wow I see I have never launched Internet Explorer on this desktop I have had since 2016, rad; was Edge really out by then? Huh, I guess it was.

DATA CUBE!

Everything about this page is grand. This looks so much like an intranet page from my last job I am delighted

Yeah, looks like GS-9 really is the worst place to need to escape. Edit: Wow, there are roughly the same number of 12s and 13s, too; would not have guessed that.

Beerdeer posted:

At least in the Service Centers, our track is 5-7-9 then 11-12. I’ve been stuck at 12 for years and there are only like 20 non-management 13s in my location.
The only good thing about never being able to get past 9 was finding out what hilarious things I could do as a result. I got a much-coveted internal divisional transfer away from working business immigration files thanks to there being one division intended for "new" officers (only open to 5/7/9s); intended, sure, but the transfer process was also ranked by seniority, so the two lucky people who got to escape were me and the woman who had been unable to make 11/12 for, I believe, 20 years. Elite company for sure.

It also was a vision of my future and certainly accelerated my decision to just get the hell out already, particularly when the assistant center director I was sent to for feedback after my last promotional attempt told me nothing about my efforts made sense, as I was denied for a different reason each of the five times. CONSPIRACY!?!?

probably just fundamentally not suited for that job

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 5, 2020

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Dr. Quarex posted:

This is utterly amazing and I cherish you

Time to literally set this as my Internet Explorer homepage

Wow I see I have never launched Internet Explorer on this desktop I have had since 2016, rad; was Edge really out by then? Huh, I guess it was.

DATA CUBE!

Everything about this page is grand. This looks so much like an intranet page from my last job I am delighted

Yeah, looks like GS-9 really is the worst place to need to escape. Edit: Wow, there are roughly the same number of 12s and 13s, too; would not have guessed that.

The only good thing about never being able to get past 9 was finding out what hilarious things I could do as a result. I got a much-coveted internal divisional transfer away from working business immigration files thanks to there being one division intended for "new" officers (only open to 5/7/9s); intended, sure, but the transfer process was also ranked by seniority, so the two lucky people who got to escape were me and the woman who had been unable to make 11/12 for, I believe, 20 years. Elite company for sure.

It also was a vision of my future and certainly accelerated my decision to just get the hell out already, particularly when the assistant center director I was sent to for feedback after my last promotional attempt told me nothing about my efforts made sense, as I was denied for a different reason each of the five times. CONSPIRACY!?!?

probably just fundamentally not suited for that job

I've typically ignored paygrade restrictions on internal programs until told otherwise, which seems to be my boss's perspective also. As a result I was able to get onto an advisory panel with our senior civilian SES intended for junior employees. I just applied for it anyways and my boss gave his endorsement. Nobody from front office called or emailed saying "you can't do that." Short of doing something illegal, always push the system.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Howard Phillips posted:

I've typically ignored paygrade restrictions on internal programs until told otherwise, which seems to be my boss's perspective also. As a result I was able to get onto an advisory panel with our senior civilian SES intended for junior employees. I just applied for it anyways and my boss gave his endorsement. Nobody from front office called or emailed saying "you can't do that." Short of doing something illegal, always push the system.

“Make them tell you no” works pretty well because a lot of times they won’t.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Midjack posted:

“Make them tell you no” works pretty well because a lot of times they won’t.

I brought the whole "better to ask forgiveness than ask permission" attitude into this job from previous ones, and as it turns out when you're the only one in an office with that attitude and bosses have never dealt with it before, it's kind of a superpower.

All related to "poo poo that makes our jobs easier/better", of course, I'm not using it to pad the job because jesus it's padded enough

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I agree, that was certainly the thing working out best for me at my job as well. I might have started and finished as a GS-9, but I volunteered for every side gig and applied for every random extracurricular training I could, and by the time I left I had had two cool details and won a few awards from people who actually understood what I had to offer as a consolation prize for my inability to move up the ranks.

I actually think the biggest single piece of advice I would have for any new federal employee (assuming my experience is even remotely common) is to be the only person who actually reads all the e-mail you get sent. 90% of your co-workers are not even going to know about the call for volunteers or the training class opening up because they archive/delete everything not from their supervisor or a friend, in my experience.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I finished my shift on Friday by going to our main post office and trying to get through the computer security training that's required by everyone with access. I have until the end of September to complete it.

I don't have a lot of free time to do anything because I have to deal with setting up for dispatch, cleaning up the parcel sorting station after the carriers leave, boxing the mail for approximately two hundred PO boxes, casing newspapers, receiving UPS and FedEx parcels for last-mile delivery, and going through recycling to make sure no endorsed mail or first-class mail was thrown away, and answer every stupid question people call the post office for in less than four hours.

I had some time because the dispatch person came in early, so I went to the training office to get through it. I came upstairs when I was done and my postmaster was mad that I was down there, even though my supervisor felt that was a good chance to get it done. I explained to him what I was doing and I don't think he even understood what I was talking about. Other clerks I work with haven't had the chance to do theirs because we're too loving busy to do it and we lose access if we don't finish it by the end of the month.

My postmaster is a loving moron.

I also always feel like an unwelcome presence in theads like this because I have a poor people job in a thread populated by people with real jobs.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Star Man posted:

I also always feel like an unwelcome presence in theads like this because I have a poor people job in a thread populated by people with real jobs.

You're working your rear end off in a Federal job. This thread is for you.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Star Man posted:

Naw dude you’re legit as gently caress and help America more than many other federal workers, please don’t feel unwelcome.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Star Man posted:

In terms of actual societal utility, I believe that your job probably ranks above most of ours.

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
The only easy day was yesterday
I recently passed 2 years waiting on my security clearance and there's still no end in sight as far as I can tell. I'm finishing my PhD in a few weeks and I'm going to have to figure out how much longer I'm willing to wait on this because I don't want to start a job only to abandon it after a short period of time. It's actually a little shocking how long this has taken since I have had an active secret for a decade and nothing particularly interesting in my history. As far as I know I passed the polygraph because a few weeks later they sent the investigator to talk to everyone I've ever known and that was well over a year ago with only a "we're still working on it" phone call every few months after that and nothing since all this covid business started.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Star Man posted:

You are absolutely an essential part of the federal government and working a real job. Just because it's not compensated as much as it's worth for the level of bs you have to deal with doesn't mean it's not just as if not more real than the average IT guy's.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

IratelyBlank posted:

I recently passed 2 years waiting on my security clearance and there's still no end in sight as far as I can tell. I'm finishing my PhD in a few weeks and I'm going to have to figure out how much longer I'm willing to wait on this because I don't want to start a job only to abandon it after a short period of time. It's actually a little shocking how long this has taken since I have had an active secret for a decade and nothing particularly interesting in my history. As far as I know I passed the polygraph because a few weeks later they sent the investigator to talk to everyone I've ever known and that was well over a year ago with only a "we're still working on it" phone call every few months after that and nothing since all this covid business started.

You must be waiting for IC clearance because DOD has been granting clearances very quickly.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

Star Man posted:

Dude I used to work for TSA which is hated by everybody on top of being underpaid. No one here is gonna look down on you for doing your job. Pull up a chair and chill out or rage out with everybody.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Star Man posted:

I've rode garbage trucks, fit pipe in shipyards, worked on machines in chemical plants, deployed to Iraq to set up phone switches, and I currently sit at my kitchen table and talk to people on the phone for more money than I've ever made before. In some very important ways, my current job is the least real job I've ever had.

Anybody that would GS brag is worth ignoring.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Census Field Supervisor checking in. So I guess the courts will decide how much longer I get to post in this thread.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
As I have said elsewhere, I spent the period from about 2004 to 2016 adapting and growing as a person and learning to see the nuance of political belief and policy and understanding just how difficult it is to characterize ideology in good and evil terms

Then these motherfuckers show up

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

literally this big posted:

Census Field Supervisor checking in. So I guess the courts will decide how much longer I get to post in this thread.

I was a census undergoon (one of the door to door folk) last time we did this in 2010, genuinely one of the neatest jobs I've had.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
When searching on USAJobs is there a way to filter out specific agencies or DoDefense in general?

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
you can search for specific departments or agencies under advanced search, so if you want to exclude something just check off everything except what you don’t want.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Thanks for reminding the thread of that feature; for whatever reason I do not remember it actually having all the agencies listed (or maybe I was just so dumb the first time I saw it that I did not notice the "show options with 0 jobs" selector). Time to fix my separate searches for separate agencies' jobs!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

ilkhan posted:

When searching on USAJobs is there a way to filter out specific agencies or DoDefense in general?

There should be a checkbox for "no I don't want to enlist so quit listing loving Army Reserve jobs like they're normal jobs"

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hahahaha is the army reserve not its own checkbox?

I used to apply to those jobs without even noticing that part. Good thing I was probably too old to join anyway

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Dr. Quarex posted:

As I have said elsewhere, I spent the period from about 2004 to 2016 adapting and growing as a person and learning to see the nuance of political belief and policy and understanding just how difficult it is to characterize ideology in good and evil terms

Then these motherfuckers show up
Sir, if you would just answer the survey we could take you off our list and stop coming by here.

sparkmaster posted:

I was a census undergoon (one of the door to door folk) last time we did this in 2010, genuinely one of the neatest jobs I've had.
Very interesting job, especially being a level up and supervising it. 2020 has not been kind to the census.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

GD_American posted:

There should be a checkbox for "no I don't want to enlist so quit listing loving Army Reserve jobs like they're normal jobs"

for the USDA, it would be a "please filter out all 10,000 temporary forest service jobs in the literal middle of nowhere"

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Pro move is to filter by agency. Filtering by department is for noobs.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
The annoying part that I've run into is that if you filter on department it makes filtering by agency useless. At least that's what happened to me the last time I used both ways of filtering.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yes, but if you filter by agency like I just did and greenlight about 80% of them, it turns out you crash USAJobs

(Or at least my browser just gave up and gave me errors every time I tried to confirm or reload after doing my selections)

I did just go through and re-edit my series list yet again, though, so hopefully between that and telling it not to show me jobs from a handful of agencies I would be embarrassed to work for, I should be set. Though an "I would rather die than work for ICE" button would be handy for DHS jobs

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

GD_American posted:

Thinking of civilian DoD jobs, since my search is IT and PM based, and most of the jobs in some areas are on base.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

This Friday I have an info session for an Air Force Contract specialist. Followed by interviews end of next week. I only sent a resume end of last week, so this went much faster than other federal jobs (haven't gone through USA Jobs yet). I was in USMC from 2008-2012. I had a few questions, but don't know if anyone would know answer to this. I can also field these at the info session.
1. I am trying to enter as a grade 9 rather than a grade 7. I was told my resume is with the career field team. Is there anything more I can do to increase chance I come in as a 9 rather than 7? When would I find this out in the interview process?
2. Does my prior military service let me contribute to FERS at a lower rate? I assume not. I see that there is a buy back process to count that time towards FERS, which is amazingly complicated.
3. Anything else I need to know to know/benefits that can transfer from prior military experience? They just said that veterans preference does not apply because its an open rec.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Fritzler posted:

This Friday I have an info session for an Air Force Contract specialist. Followed by interviews end of next week. I only sent a resume end of last week, so this went much faster than other federal jobs (haven't gone through USA Jobs yet). I was in USMC from 2008-2012. I had a few questions, but don't know if anyone would know answer to this. I can also field these at the info session.
1. I am trying to enter as a grade 9 rather than a grade 7. I was told my resume is with the career field team. Is there anything more I can do to increase chance I come in as a 9 rather than 7? When would I find this out in the interview process?
2. Does my prior military service let me contribute to FERS at a lower rate? I assume not. I see that there is a buy back process to count that time towards FERS, which is amazingly complicated.
3. Anything else I need to know to know/benefits that can transfer from prior military experience? They just said that veterans preference does not apply because its an open rec.

1. If you qualify for both grades, they will bring you at the lower one. I shot myself in the foot two years ago when I interviewed for both the GS-12 and 13 level for the same position. I thought I was being a big brain negotiator when I told them that I will only consider a GS-13 offer but in hindsight that just probably just made me look like an arrogant rear end in a top hat.

2. No it doesn't. You have to have been in civil service and contributed to FERS during that time. The buy back process takes time but it's pretty straightforward. I am at the last stage now where payroll will process it and give me an option to do payment plan or lump sump. For me around $11k for 12 years of service.

3. Only two things can potentially transfer over, years of service for leave calculation purposes (only considered at hiring) and buying back miltime (done after hiring by filling out the forms).

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

buying back time in the peace corps is a funny experience because it's based on your pay, and volunteers are paid at local developing world rates. Eg, I earned the equivalent of a few hundred a month, as I was in one of the "richer" countries. For most volunteers the buyback costs like $100 for two years.

circumstances permitting, I was hoping to bookend my federal service with another peace corps two-year tour to round out my retirement. One trade off is that it wouldn't help high 3. But now I'm guessing in a few decades the program won't exist in the same form or my benefits will have been gutted...

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Thesaurus posted:

buying back time in the peace corps is a funny experience because it's based on your pay, and volunteers are paid at local developing world rates. Eg, I earned the equivalent of a few hundred a month, as I was in one of the "richer" countries. For most volunteers the buyback costs like $100 for two years.

circumstances permitting, I was hoping to bookend my federal service with another peace corps two-year tour to round out my retirement. One trade off is that it wouldn't help high 3. But now I'm guessing in a few decades the program won't exist in the same form or my benefits will have been gutted...

Wow. You enjoyed the peace corps that much?