Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

EL BROMANCE posted:

Not saying I'm suspicious about Twitter story threads (I am), but lots of words and people involve yet nobody thought to take a photo of the insanity unraveling?

Much like the story about the cancelled Tomb Raider game that predicted 2020 it’s more about the journey than the destination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Nothing on the internet is real so I don't see why that should matter.

You're all only even posting because I stopped taking my meds.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/babyloveblum/status/1300924634318200837?s=20

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I appreciate a person finding great joy in something mundane. However, I find it difficult to enjoy it with that horrifying anime homunculus onscreen at all times. The way it sometimes doesn’t move at all in response to the person speaking and sometimes moves a lot reminds me of a cheap horror movie scare where the thing in the dark is still and then starts moving very fast. Creepy.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Not saying I'm suspicious about Twitter story threads (I am), but lots of words and people involve yet nobody thought to take a photo of the insanity unraveling?

A picture of what, a lorry of rice and some people standing around? It's not really necessary for the story.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If I ordered some rice and someone turned up with an entire lorry of rice outside my house, I'd probably take a photo that's all. Because it would be pretty funny. But that would rely on an actual lorry full of rice turning up, I suppose.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I find it best to suspend disbelief and imagine that perhaps a lorry of rice did turn up for the purposes of the story.

Ariong posted:

I appreciate a person finding great joy in something mundane. However, I find it difficult to enjoy it with that horrifying anime homunculus onscreen at all times. The way it sometimes doesn’t move at all in response to the person speaking and sometimes moves a lot reminds me of a cheap horror movie scare where the thing in the dark is still and then starts moving very fast. Creepy.

I also was fighting between "that's kinda funny" and "oh god they're making anime real"

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

EL BROMANCE posted:

The rice truck is just out of frame, idling.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

The rice truck saga has updates posting right now. It is supposedly happening in India. It is currently 1 AM in India.

e: it's still a fun story and IMO qualifies for this thread

Azathoth Prime has a new favorite as of 20:25 on Sep 3, 2020

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Azathoth Prime posted:

The rice truck saga has updates posting right now. It is supposedly happening in India. It is currently 1 AM in India.

e: it's still a fun story

The saga did start 6 hours ago.

e: or at least the initial tweets did

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I'm strongly considering making "I don't think that's real" and "you posted a brand" as probatable offenses for this thread. They contribute nothing and everyone already knows that story threads are mostly made up and brand Twitter accounts are run by underpaid depressed millennials who were told to "talk to the kids."

Let people enjoy things.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You need a cosign or a witness or something?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

christmas boots posted:

Nothing on the internet is real so I don't see why that should matter.

You're all only even posting because I stopped taking my meds.

Please start taking your meds again, I can't stop posting. I'm so very tired

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm strongly considering making "I don't think that's real" and "you posted a brand" as probatable offenses for this thread. They contribute nothing and everyone already knows that story threads are mostly made up and brand Twitter accounts are run by underpaid depressed millennials who were told to "talk to the kids."

Let people enjoy things.

My suggestion that comes from tons of reading the r/relationships thread is to still allow “that’s not real” if there’s some effort behind it. Running in to be like “nah, that’s fake and your dumb for liking it” sucks, but I do enjoy a good post where someone Sherlock Holmes together a bunch of details and explains why it couldn’t possibly be true.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Good idea.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1301572322839519232

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Jesus Christ, they actually put that Civvie quote that he dared them to put on there. The absolute madmen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't say I mind complaints about unreality or brands because that's just how some people derive enjoyment.

Also they are, yknow, right. Seems wrong to poo poo on people for being less internet poisoned than you to the point they have not yet developed post ironic reconstructivist philosophy on brands and made up poo poo, which is yes it's dumb but I shall cling to this brief, wavering moment of simulated joy from the screen, allow it to stir a flicker of neural activity in the charred, ashen paths of my brain that are rendered numb by the reality of the world and atrophied by the increasing proportion of my neurons devoted entirely to Loss pattern recognition.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My suggestion that comes from tons of reading the r/relationships thread is to still allow “that’s not real” if there’s some effort behind it. Running in to be like “nah, that’s fake and your dumb for liking it” sucks, but I do enjoy a good post where someone Sherlock Holmes together a bunch of details and explains why it couldn’t possibly be true.

The best part of r/relationship was the stuff everyone accepted was fake like the fight guy (before it kinda got old), but the posts where people spend days discussing what they would do while reading over Creative Writing 101 nonsense got so tiring. This thread is for the most part pretty solid and even the fake stuff can be fun, but everything should be questioned as long as it doesn't setup massive derails. It's good to keep reddit level "believe anything that's written down" stuff to Reddit.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Moon Slayer posted:

...everyone already knows that story threads are mostly made up...

Ahh man. I posted a story thread once that was genuinely true word for word, and I got tonnes of replies telling me that it didn't happen and I was all, man if my imagination was this good my comedy career wouldn't be wheezing it's dying breaths my guys.

That being said, that guy from a while ago who was liaising between some french guys and his brexiteer neighbours was the least happened thing to have ever not happened.

Oh god. I'm just as bad as the didn't happen crowd.

THE TWEETS WERE COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Flint_Paper posted:

That being said, that guy from a while ago who was liaising between some french guys and his brexiteer neighbours was the least happened thing to have ever not happened.

They deleted themselves in shame luckily. But people saw the internet points they got from it, and now we have a million copycats written in the same way.

Anyway for content, it's only fair that everything Kylie ever makes is posted because this one nearly got past me and it's great as always.

https://twitter.com/deadeyebrakeman/status/1301196903229480960

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, I'm as lovely a poster as it comes and am guilty on both counts but I see brand engagement in a similar light as copaganda. I don't want to see it and it's good to point out that it's bad. I'll abide the rules but Wendy's slam dunking that burn on McDonald's and the witty retort by coke and Walmart is loving offensive and imo people should be called out for propping that poo poo up.

And feel free to hit me with a sixer for being a low content grump, I more than deserve it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean when’s the last time someone posted brand posts

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

Yeah, I'm as lovely a poster as it comes and am guilty on both counts but I see brand engagement in a similar light as copaganda. I don't want to see it and it's good to point out that it's bad. I'll abide the rules but Wendy's slam dunking that burn on McDonald's and the witty retort by coke and Walmart is loving offensive and imo people should be called out for propping that poo poo up.

And feel free to hit me with a sixer for being a low content grump, I more than deserve it.

I'm sorry, I forgot that someone posting "heh, whoever runs [brand]'s Twitter account made a funny" on the Something Awful Forums was the only thing keeping capitalism from being swept aside in the glorious people's revolution. :jerkbag:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1301588345705754624

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yup, that's exact that I said.

Whatever dude, do what you want. I'm not a fan of humanizing giant, evil corporations, but you run your threads in whatever way you think is best.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm sorry, I forgot that someone posting "heh, whoever runs [brand]'s Twitter account made a funny" on the Something Awful Forums was the only thing keeping capitalism from being swept aside in the glorious people's revolution. :jerkbag:
The brand defender has logged on :v:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

Whatever dude, do what you want. I'm not a fan of humanizing giant, evil corporations, but you run your threads in whatever way you think is best.

I mean, you said that someone posting a joke the Steak-Umm's account made was akin to someone posting a "cops should shoot BLM protesters" tweet, which is a very cool and rational and not at all brokebrained comparison to make.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

if you wouldnt kill for brands...end another human's life... forget it... leave this thread...

E: i feel the need to specify that this is itself a quote of a Good Tweet, by now deactivated account Mr. Baseball, on April 21, 2015, with the word brands and thread replacing baseball and stadium respectively and should not be construed as an attack or incitement

projecthalaxy has a new favorite as of 21:53 on Sep 3, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Moon Slayer posted:

That may be verging into "enjoying brand tweets is mandatory" territory.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Not even remotely?

What I don't want is someone posting a joke a brand twitter account posted that made them chuckle and then five people posting the equivalent of "how dare you look at a brand's twitter account, you are must love them and want us to as well."

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, putting a relatable, humanizing front on top of something that's objectively evil is nothing like copaganda.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

Yeah, putting a relatable, humanizing front on top of something that's objectively evil is nothing like copaganda.

:lmao:

jesus christ dude get help.

For serious, though, I trust the posters in this thread, PYF, and SA at large to recognize that a brand's Twitter account is run by people whose ultimate goal is to sell you the product and to be able to separate the humor they might get from a joke from that fact. Apparently trusting posters not to say "you acknowledge capitalism exists that must 100% support it in every form it takes" was a bridge too far, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

I agree with you but people are also glad to post things posted by celebrities/sports stars/youtubers/whatever when the entire point of their Sick Tweets is to grow their personal brand as well. The vast majority of tweets done by anyone with a blue checkmark exist entirely to get shared so they are more promoted and get more money. Even if they made a genuinely funny joke they posted it on Twitter to draw attention to themselves because that is the entire point of Twitter's lovely blue checkmark system anyway.

Twitter is a horrific monstrosity and interacting with it in any way is quite literally damaging to the world at large, since even normal people using it prop up Twitter's horrific brand and the terrible impact it has had on the world at large. If you're getting sick/angry only by reading Brands instead of the vast majority of any tweet then you're ignoring the real damaging things about twitter in favor of being upset at the most obvious thing. If you hate Twitter and can't stand seeing it then you are about as close to objectively right as you can get and I'd strongly recommend you avoid it wherever possible because you'll be a happier and healthier human being.

But as we live in a lovely hellworld sometimes it's okay for people to laugh at a joke made by a lovely corporation, just like sometimes it is okay to see a movie or play a video game despite both also being built around drawing players in and why you have people who will knife fight you in the dark for Nintendo or Marvel or DC or Transformers or whatever.

Let people enjoy a funny thing and if you understandably can't enjoy a funny thing with a problematic element then it's probably best not to enter the thread dedicated to posting about that specific problematic thing, much like how I've stayed out of a few threads on this subforum because the humor doesn't outweigh how blindingly angry it makes me to see, say, idiots on social media being horrifying.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

sometimes it's okay for people to laugh at a joke made by a lovely corporation, just like sometimes it is okay to see a movie or play a video game despite both also being built around drawing players in and why you have people who will knife fight you in the dark for Nintendo or Marvel or DC or Transformers or whatever.

Let people enjoy a funny thing and if you understandably can't enjoy a funny thing with a problematic element then it's probably best not to enter the thread dedicated to posting about that specific problematic thing, much like how I've stayed out of a few threads on this subforum because the humor doesn't outweigh how blindingly angry it makes me to see, say, idiots on social media being horrifying.

Yes, thank you, this is exactly what I was trying to say.

DERAIL OVER! From now on posts like this are discouraged:

Cocaine Bear posted:

I love brand.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I probably won't even do anything about them unless they are particularly obnoxious, just know that they don't contribute anything and make people (me) annoyed.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just fork off a Post Good Ads thread, the OP can include those ultraviolent muppet coffee ones.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I feel a lot of people disagree with your weird ‘you must love all brands and cannot point out obviously fake content’ rule. You are a fairly heavy handed mod, especially for PYF, and you’re getting real defensive about posters disagreeing with your sudden rules changes. Why is that?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What's the point of being a mod if you don't stick your oar in everywhere you possibly can?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

I feel a lot of people disagree with your weird ‘you must love all brands and cannot point out obviously fake content’ rule. You are a fairly heavy handed mod, especially for PYF, and you’re getting real defensive about posters disagreeing with your sudden rules changes. Why is that?

I cannot wrap my head around how people could think that this is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
To ban the people whose posting I disagree with or find tiresome, of course!