Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

canyoneer posted:

Me, as a 21st century human, knows that the glass is gorilla proof.
Yes, but is what is holding the glass in place gorilla-proof?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

The very finest armadillo-rated bracketing

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I would not trust that the glass enclosing a gorilla enclosure in an American zoo is gorilla-proof. Safety is COMMUNISM!

the only zoo ive been to is san diego zoo and i guess sea world on field trips. san diego zoo doesnt let you get close enough to the large animals that its just a peice of glass between you and them. atleast when i went in the 90s its was all riding or walking and looking with binoculars at most bigger animals and some medium animals you can get up to glass to see them. rhinos chimps gorilla giraffe lion tiger i all saw from super far out with binoculars and they had a huge rear end fence surronding everything. polar bear penguin crocodile snakes / lizards and some birds were all just behind glass though.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

People on 3 sides of that dog and a significant percentage of the 4th are just going to think the owner is a chud.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

snergle posted:

the only zoo ive been to is san diego zoo and i guess sea world on field trips. san diego zoo doesnt let you get close enough to the large animals that its just a peice of glass between you and them. atleast when i went in the 90s its was all riding or walking and looking with binoculars at most bigger animals and some medium animals you can get up to glass to see them. rhinos chimps gorilla giraffe lion tiger i all saw from super far out with binoculars and they had a huge rear end fence surronding everything. polar bear penguin crocodile snakes / lizards and some birds were all just behind glass though.

That would be the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. The Zoo proper is just a big awesome zoo.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I would not trust that the glass enclosing a gorilla enclosure in an American zoo is gorilla-proof. Safety is COMMUNISM!

"Gorilla resistant", for insurance purposes.
He's a big fella

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

snergle posted:

Their enclosure has changed a lot since the 90s. These days the gorilla enclosure has you just on the other side of (like 5 inches of) glass, but you can also see into it from a couple other vantage points like one across from a small gorge and another where you can see them by a waterfall. But the best viewing is seriously less than a foot from where they hang out most of the afternoon:

I go to the SD Zoo like twice a month and I usually never seen the gorillas doing much other than maybe wandering around or napping, but one or twice I have seen them get antsy and bash against the glass and it just kinda shudders like you'd expect a large sheet of anything being hit like a gorilla would. This dude in the picture has his back to the glass every single day he's out though (they have two troupes, a bachelor troupe and a familial troupe with an alpha male). The last couple years there's this guy that sits at the corner of the glass there and shows the gorillas videos on his ipad of other gorillas.

That glass is extra thick, and to answer someone's question, yeah the poo poo holding the glass is even more gorilla proof. It's basically the same set up as the Orangutan enclosure, and while they aren't as buff as the gorillas they can still gently caress poo poo up.

One time I saw the orangutan on the left, the big dude (his name is Satu and he's good and my friend), pick up one of the large tree branches on the right side of the picture. They made everyone leave the enclosure because he was absolutely capable of hurling it over the top of the exhibit, but when he chucked it against the glass it just kinda dinked off. I am pretty sure a gorilla going full speed against that glass wouldn't do much other than bounce off.

Anyway that's my SD zoo summary. I'll leave this not extremely funny picture of one of those orange bastards eating:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
are orangutans violent at all? i know chimps can be nasty and a gorilla could potentially gently caress you up if it wanted but i've never heard of anyone being attacked by an orangutan.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

They get pretty disagreeable if you try to change them back.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

are orangutans violent at all? i know chimps can be nasty and a gorilla could potentially gently caress you up if it wanted but i've never heard of anyone being attacked by an orangutan.

Just don't use the m-word.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

uber_stoat posted:

Oh for sure. You will absolutely get your poo poo kicked in if you don't return your books to the library on time.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd wager you were probably like the third tourist group that day he'd done that to for fun.

I was gonna say, anyone who's ever spent significant time around a gorilla enclosure has seen this happen.

I bet those big bois fuckin love making the humans run.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

uber_stoat posted:

Me neither. But that one time on Human vs. Animal when they had a bodybuilder play tug of war with an orang was hilarious.

Dude just sat on his rear end and calmly reeled in the very large human like he was nothing at all. He looked really bored and I remember being surprised they even got him to do it on cue.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Definitely feeling "haven't seen the sea in a long time"

MizPiz has a new favorite as of 23:13 on Sep 3, 2020

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

God I love this programme. One of the best sitcoms there's been. I probably think about it multiple times a week, especially the Blue Rat episode

"HE'S GOT A HORSE IN THERE"

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

MizPiz posted:

Too many pillows & not enough pillows is killing me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

canyoneer posted:

I was at the San Diego Zoo observing the gorillas. Two of them were right up against the glass, and getting a lot of attention from everyone.
The big male was upset about something (threatened? jealous?), and made a running leap against the glass right in front of me, slamming his hands and feet against it and making a loud boom.
Imagine ~30 people gasping and holding their breath, someone mutters "holy poo poo", and everyone scatters like birds.

Me, as a 21st century human, knows that the glass is gorilla proof. My brain did not believe that in the moment that I saw 600 fuzzy lbs of muscle and teeth charging at me.

The glass might be strong but was it installed correctly? Has there been wear and tear? Have the gorillas been testing it for weaknesses?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

MizPiz posted:

to be fair I'm pretty sure the last one was from gradually choking to death on the clouds of smoke and ash churned out from the factories which isn't the most far-fetched way for someone to die

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Gorillas are tough mofos
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokito_(gorilla)

At work we sometimes print out and wear Bokito viewers to gently caress with people in video telecons

https://web.archive.org/web/20160421134137/http://adsoftheworld.com/media/ambient/fbto_health_insurance_bokitoviewer

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
https://twitter.com/ipodmacbook/status/1301666957826183168?s=19

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Amphigory posted:

God I love this programme. One of the best sitcoms there's been. I probably think about it multiple times a week, especially the Blue Rat episode

"HE'S GOT A HORSE IN THERE"

It's criminally underwatched.

"IT'S A loving HO- Sorry, I've done it again, haven't I?"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Lol

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Idgi

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

*1990's stand up impression

"Finally, a mute button I'll actually use!"

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Infinity gauntlet? Or Power Glove (if turned 90 degrees)?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You're mixing up "gorilla resistant" and "guerrilla resistance" again.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

I think it’s Loss

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

42 is a bit early for his horn to be broken but if it truly is shaped like a brick, I'm sure his partner will be grateful for the finger.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

uber_stoat posted:

A factoid I heard on an old QI, (and Stephen Fry would never lie to me), about Orangutans is:

If you leave something out in the forest that the local primates have never seen or encountered before:

A Chimpanzee will smash it up and laugh
A Bonobo will try to gently caress it
A Gorilla will pick it up ever so gently and examine it in detail
and and Orangutan will pick it up, and then delicately try to take it apart.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Gorilla Glue, motherfucker!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Is that what makes it Gorilla Glass (tm)?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

MizPiz posted:

It's extremely frustrating that I can't pin down any of those off the top of my head, I have read books before!

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

snergle posted:

I’ve been in SD for 13 years and the zoo has been pretty close up and personal for that time. Maybe you’re thinking the Wild Animal Park, now the Safari Park? You can get right up to the glass for most of the primates.

E: beaten, maybe next time I’ll keep reading the thread :argh:

Anza Borrego has a new favorite as of 06:24 on Sep 4, 2020

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Too many pillows could be Desdemona in Othello.

rangi
May 25, 2006

Girl , you thought he was man , but he was a MUFFIN

Trouble brewing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

BrigadierSensible posted:

A factoid I heard on an old QI, (and Stephen Fry would never lie to me), about Orangutans is:

If you leave something out in the forest that the local primates have never seen or encountered before:

A Chimpanzee will smash it up and laugh
A Bonobo will try to gently caress it
A Gorilla will pick it up ever so gently and examine it in detail
and and Orangutan will pick it up, and then delicately try to take it apart.

There was a similar anecdote about leaving a screwdriver in the primate enclosure:
A chimp will use it to stab someone,
A bonobo will try to gently caress it,
A gorilla will ignore it,
And an orangutan will hide it so you can't find it and two weeks later its spaceship will be complete.