Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

An insane mind posted:

The meltdowns online because they got Ed Sheeran to play a little role as a surprise for her.

Later someone has some dialogue about how "that ginger boy, Edward" got his face melted off by Drogon lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

It's really not, those dudes were fanatical about maintaining their contracts, they knew having a trustworthy reputation was central to everything.

The reason they routinely wind is switching sides is because their employers had switched sides, or their employers were in crazy arrears.
medieval/renaissance italian mercenaries--some of the most well documented--were infamous for their unreliability.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Zane posted:

medieval/renaissance italian mercenaries--some of the most well documented--were infamous for their unreliability.

It's a modern misconception. They were generally more reliable (and resoundingly more capable) than military forces led by the local nobility.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I just travelled back in time and I can tell you that merceneries (all merceneries throughout human history, from every country) had tiny penises

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
My favorite historical mercenary tale is when after the First Punic War Carthage decided to to save money and simply not pay their mercenaries. Said mercenaries promptly attempted to destroy Carthage in order to get money. Carthage then was forced to pay another mercenary army to fight the mercenary army they had refused to pay.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

That’s the beautiful part, when winter comes round the mercenaries simply freeze to death.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.amazon.com/Ash-Secret-History-Mary-Gentle/dp/1857987446

For an insight into 15th century mercenaries, I recommend reading historically accurate historical novel "Ash: A Secret History".

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 3, 2020

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I have a feeling D&D were those kids who when you were playing pretend battle or whatever on the playground always had forcefields or went “nuh uh, i have invincible armor, which actually kills you instead if you otherwise defeat me” :awesome:

Look into their family backgrounds, they are still those kids.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Great, another series I need to read through before D&D gently caress it up
https://ew.com/tv/netflix-game-of-thrones-three-body-problem/

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Dr. Gargunza posted:

The first book is very good sci-fi with a coherent narrative that closes satisfyingly and doesn't feel like it needs a sequel. The second one is way less compelling, to the point that I didn't even finish it or read the third.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Van Dis posted:

The first book is very good sci-fi with a coherent narrative that closes satisfyingly and doesn't feel like it needs a sequel. The second one is way less compelling, to the point that I didn't even finish it or read the third.

So you're saying it's good material for them, then.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The first book is really really good and everyone ought to read it. The second book is a long, meandering, often tedious journey with a banger of an ending. The third book is incredibly non-essential.

All three books are EXTREMELY Chinese and should never be handed off to a pair of schlubby white guys.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Ramsay was just an exhausting character wasn’t he? Just this amazing wunderkind who got to run circles around everybody while they went ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Like, how did no ironborn armed with weapons that can be thrown really hard and really lethally do nothing when Ramsay, wearing nothing but pants, put down his guard and showed his big meaty flank to clunkily unlock the dogs’ cages? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
How did no one in Stannis's camp notice him and ser Twenny of the Goodmen burning down their entire food supply and killing all of the horses? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Why did no one do anything when he killed his father and decided to play along after slaughtering a woman and her baby? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Why did other evil northern houses decide to form an alliance with a guy who is famous for being whimsical, capricious and willing to flay anyone at the drop of a hat? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It’s really tiring.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

The first book is extremely good.
The second book is very plodding and kind of meh.
The third book has some interesting stuff but goes off the rails with some weird misogyny and kind of a wet fart ending.

The first and third were translated by Ken Liu (an excellent Chinese-American author you should check out, his short story collection is particularly boss), the second was translated by some random white guy who studies China and the difference in jarring. Like others have said, the cultural influence is extremely strong and should not really be approached by non-natives, tbh.

So of course D&D get it and are going to gently caress it up bad.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I’m curious how Hold the door/Hodor worked in other languages

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Ramsay was just an exhausting character wasn’t he? Just this amazing wunderkind who got to run circles around everybody while they went ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Like, how did no ironborn armed with weapons that can be thrown really hard and really lethally do nothing when Ramsay, wearing nothing but pants, put down his guard and showed his big meaty flank to clunkily unlock the dogs’ cages? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
How did no one in Stannis's camp notice him and ser Twenny of the Goodmen burning down their entire food supply and killing all of the horses? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Why did no one do anything when he killed his father and decided to play along after slaughtering a woman and her baby? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Why did other evil northern houses decide to form an alliance with a guy who is famous for being whimsical, capricious and willing to flay anyone at the drop of a hat? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It’s really tiring.

why did his father, a brilliant sociopath, let his guard down in front of his son while giving him bad news?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

why did his father, a brilliant sociopath, let his guard down in front of his son while giving him bad news?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pattonesque posted:

it sucks man because it's not that hard to write a battle scene in which both sides are acting rationally or behaving stupidly for reasons that make sense. They almost did it with the Battle of the Bastards -- Jon does a stupid thing in trying to rescue Rickon, but it's his baby brother so I get it. Sansa bringing in a game-changing force of heavy cavalry without telling her brother is pretty stupid though. Like if Sansa just said "Jon I can get the Knights of the Vale here, but they might not arrive before Ramsay forces a battle" that'd make way more sense.

it was also amazing to have ramsay just meet in open battle instead of waiting behind walls, plus a giant (that could have been written to be the answer to ramsay not coming out) being 100% useless and not even bothering people that thought it was a legend

come to think of it, in the last 3-4 seasons i think the only time someone defends their walls instead of going out into battle for no reason is highgarden, which is instantly defeated offscreen

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
This is going to be great for Chinese audiences' perceptions of America at a fragile time

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Calaveron posted:

It’s really tiring.

Tactics, diplomacy, and finance don't really matter on this show post-season 4.

But in reality, the trials and tribulations of some noble houses in the least populous or fertile of the seven kingdoms would not be very important to begin with.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Lid posted:

Oh Victarion how i miss your psycho bloodhound volcano armed insaneness. The first Victarion chapter is one of the best ASOIAF chapters ever - its like "gently caress all this lets have a ship to ship battle in a loving thunderstorm in full plate weilding an axe" like it decided to randomly become a metal album.

Yeah his chapters were some of the best in the later books, I like that he doesnt give a poo poo about all the religious nonsense and just does whatever will give him power. Burning seven at people at sea so you can please all the gods at once is some excellent powergaming

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

plus a giant (that could have been written to be the answer to ramsay not coming out) being 100% useless and not even bothering people that thought it was a legend

An unarmed giant that just kinda flails his arms around randomly. Doesnt he at one point grab a 12ft long pike/spear and then just casually toss it aside instead spearing people?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

it was also amazing to have ramsay just meet in open battle instead of waiting behind walls, plus a giant (that could have been written to be the answer to ramsay not coming out) being 100% useless and not even bothering people that thought it was a legend

come to think of it, in the last 3-4 seasons i think the only time someone defends their walls instead of going out into battle for no reason is highgarden, which is instantly defeated offscreen

yeah because the Tyrells, one of the richest and most populous of the seven kingdoms who share a border with a hostile neighbor and have historically had to deal with raiders from the ironborn, essentially do not have an army lol

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So the text of this pigshit ending is that Bran absolutely died and has been possessed by whatshisface Max Von Rivers right?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Calaveron posted:

So the text of this pigshit ending is that Bran absolutely died and has been possessed by whatshisface Max Von Rivers right?

No, Bran is just super boring now because he sees everything

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I forget, is it ever explained how Arya became an absolute water dancer master good enough to defeat a lummox like Brienne despite apparently majoring on using a wildly different weapon or are we supposed to assume that whenever she wasn't on screen she was learning more and more despite presumably only learning the basics from Syrio

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

She really sucked at being a ninja assassin, to be honest. They gave her a kill that Manderly got in the books, probably because Gurm's notes were something like "she learns in Bravos to be no one and then escapes to travel west."

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
She doesn't defeat Brienne though does she? Like they have a duel and she eats poo poo at first so if it had been real fight she'd have been dead there. Then when they have round two it ends with Brienne having her sword on her for a killing blow but Arya has her dagger at Briennes stomach or something, been awhile so might be forgetting the details but at best it'd be a stalemate or they both die.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Brienne would be wearing armor in a real fight. Arya literally learned nothing from one of the single best scenes she had in the entire show.

Because the writers are idiots. And bad at writing.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Isn't fAegon the 'one true king of Westeros' anyway, which would erase a lot of the show's ending? He's Rhaegar's oldest male offspring assuming no one manages to prove elsewise.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
They should have brought back Syrio Forel if they were gonna just gently caress everything up anyway lol

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Calaveron posted:

This was supposed to be the text but they threw it in the trash so they could wank about writers being the best thing ever.

I'm pretty sure the three eyed raven in the show isn't even bloodraven.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Well thank God everything worked out for Dave Hill, in any other universe he would have been starving in the streets

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TOOT BOOT posted:

Isn't fAegon the 'one true king of Westeros' anyway, which would erase a lot of the show's ending? He's Rhaegar's oldest male offspring assuming no one manages to prove elsewise.

Him winning battles in Westeros and winning over people is probably why Daenerys goes nuts in the books. Cutting him out and then going with the same ending is very dumb.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Him winning battles in Westeros and winning over people is probably why Daenerys goes nuts in the books. Cutting him out and then going with the same ending is very dumb.

As I've said before, cutting out FakeAegeon creates so many problems.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
More like Aegone

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Syrio Forell should have killed the night king

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Alhazred posted:

As I've said before, cutting out FakeAegeon creates so many problems.

I could understand at the time because you got so much poo poo going on but then they also cut out the Manderly plot so nothing happens for a season and a half AND George had to have given them the outline of the ending before they decided to cut "Aegon" so none of it makes any sense in that light.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm guessing the choice to cut Aegon came after Cersei became a huge fan favorite and they decided to keep her around to be the final obstacle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm guessing the choice to cut Aegon came after Cersei became a huge fan favorite and they decided to keep her around to be the final obstacle.

Nah it was probably after they realized they didn’t have any direction from the fat man of where the story would go and what the significance of what certain characters was
Also the writers wanting to get this poo poo over with so they could move on to their other, now extinct, projects

I’m about to watch the long night at 3:35 PM on a clear day, I might as well close my eyes
Also I feel like macahuitls would’ve been more efficient and effective than big chunky brittle knives and axes, someone should’ve told Gendry