Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

SubNat posted:

Ol' popeface is chucking a crusade / great holy war at my face for trying to set up a kingdom in England.

How... do you defend against a crusade?
Do you just try to stomp the enemy down as best you can, and eventually they run out of steam, or do you have to go on the counter-offensive?
(Which seems super hard, since the fuckers participating against me are just a load of dukes and etc spread over half of europe.)

There are custom empires, as a decision. Just gotta have enough titles and land and etc to chuck 'em together. (Custom kingdoms too)
It's a game rule that's on by default, too.

Awesome. I should have enough titles to do it. Time to tell the Emperor to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
So how do you set your kid's education focus in this? It keeps happening that I'll, say, assign one of my children as a ward to a brilliant strategist and when they come of age they'll somehow have a 1 star learning or intrigue education trait instead.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
I accidentally dismissed one of those purple question mark things that pop up on the top. How do I get that back? This one was going to tell me about Religion.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

is Alfred programmed to get 'The Great" more easily? Ive done a few runs with him and he always gets that title even if my prestige is low and i'm still some shitass duke

e: oh, sorry, a *petty king*

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Was about to start a murder scheme on my brother to get the kingdom of wales back under Irish control and the game crashed. Game has been pretty stable aside from that

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Boot and Rally posted:

I accidentally dismissed one of those purple question mark things that pop up on the top. How do I get that back? This one was going to tell me about Religion.

There's a reset button - two arrows - on the Current Situation window that pops up when you click the Issues button. That'll bring it back if you actually dismissed it instead of clicking the done button on it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Reforming the faith so that Witchcraft is fine now and also men and women can inherit is just wonderful.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Just to try to get some sort of better sense of the men-at-arms, I decided to sort them by the crappy metric of (power + toughness) * size / cost just to get some idea of where we're at.

I wouldn't read much into the exact ranking this produced or the ratio in the last column since it's a very lovely and approximate metric but it should have some correlation to reality. The gist seems to be that is cheap troops are more cost-efficient and cultural troops are usually good. The reduced size heavy cav troops and even more reduced war elephants have good total regiment power, but don't seem like they're cost efficient if you need to save money/prestige. Elephants especially. Might be some nonlinear effect were 2x toughness makes each individual fight for more than 2x longer and much more likely to survive fights, I dunno.

tl;dr: cultural regiments are good, try to mind likely terrain and opponent regiments, probably favor quantity over quality when poor.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Gobblecoque posted:

So how do you set your kid's education focus in this? It keeps happening that I'll, say, assign one of my children as a ward to a brilliant strategist and when they come of age they'll somehow have a 1 star learning or intrigue education trait instead.

Children get childhood traits that give +1 to two different skills. When they're 6, you can assign them an education and you should choose one that benefits from the trait (it will tell you if it helps or harms them). For example, if you have a Curious son, he will do good in either diplomacy or learning, so give him one of those educations, and assign him a good diplomat or priest as a guardian.

edit: the education focus will be on their character screen to the left of their opinion of you

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The malus for a powerful vassal not having a seat on the council is real frustrating. -40 is brutal.

I keep having factions being created to overthrow me and based on the maluses it's purely on the basis that I can't fit everyone in my five council seats. I've got eight dukes and without fail the three that I can't fit always start a war to install someone else.

it is annoying, but also it gives you a reason to actually have powerful vassals who have lots of holdings rather than giving your titles to twenty pushover dolts in hopes you or your heir can gobble them up if needbe

I often find myself befriending/swaying those unhappy vassals, usually the dullards are easy to sway

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Swedish Horror posted:

Children get childhood traits that give +1 to two different skills. When they're 6, you can assign them an education and you should choose one that benefits from the trait (it will tell you if it helps or harms them). For example, if you have a Curious son, he will do good in either diplomacy or learning, so give him one of those educations, and assign him a good diplomat or priest as a guardian.

Okay but how do you assign them an education? Like where in the UI is that buried?

Edit: Ah, just saw your edit, thanks.

Edit II: Haha wow that is a really low profile icon. I don't think I ever would have found that without asking and the only reason I knew to ask was from having played CK2. Surely there must have been a tutorial somewhere that didn''t fire.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 4, 2020

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Gobblecoque posted:

Okay but how do you assign them an education? Like where in the UI is that buried?

There are a lot of weirdly hidden things in this game.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Wow, I went straight for camels (light cav variant) and they shredded levies in the pursuit phase. As in, twice as many casualties inflicted as during the actual battle. Which turned out to be crucial when they came back with bigger allies for another round.

So if you're having trouble killing armies, go get yourself some pursuit cav.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

chglcu posted:

There's a reset button - two arrows - on the Current Situation window that pops up when you click the Issues button. That'll bring it back if you actually dismissed it instead of clicking the done button on it.

Wonderful, thank you! I hit that button and when I restarted the game the purple dealy came back.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Swedish Horror posted:

...oh son of a ...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Swedish Horror posted:

Yeah the rule of thumb is that if it used to be a mechanism implemented through sequences of event triggers, it's probably now a bespoke part of the permanent UI hiding somewhere.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jarvisi posted:

What's the best way to gently caress over my nieces and get back the land that's rightfully mine?

I read this question wrong and yet it still would have been a possible course of action

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I read this question wrong and yet it still would have been a possible course of action

I lost an entire duchy and all of its counties when I died. Kept only the kingship. I'm pretty mad about it!

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
So apparently one of my earls has a claim on the entire drat Kingdom of England. I am currently the King of Scotland and Wales.

I want to make absolutely sure I am reading this right. If I win this war, the Earl Ealdhun will become a King, but STILL be my vassal despite the fact that I am only King rank myself??

The war should be a quick slaughter, but I really don't want to waste the time if I'm just going to be giving taking the country away from my cousin to give it to an unrelated vassal who would proceed to immediately become independent.

Pretty sure I'd be on the cusp of becoming Emperor of Britannia after this fight.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM
People keep saying the UI is better, but I seriously have no idea what is supposed to be better about it. It's basically a sidegrade from CK2, and a downgrade in a lot of cases.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Swedish Horror posted:

Holy poo poo dude

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Swedish Horror posted:

This UI is a slight against Victoria 2 players

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Dee Ehm posted:

I want to make absolutely sure I am reading this right. If I win this war, the Earl Ealdhun will become a King, but STILL be my vassal despite the fact that I am only King rank myself??

Relatively sure that's a display bug and the CB should only say Ealdhun "Becomes Independent", not somehow both independent and your vassal. You cannot have a king as a vassal without first being emperor.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dee Ehm posted:

So apparently one of my earls has a claim on the entire drat Kingdom of England. I am currently the King of Scotland and Wales.

The war should be a quick slaughter, but I really don't want to waste the time if I'm just going to be giving taking the country away from my cousin to give it to an unrelated vassal who would proceed to immediately become independent.

Pretty sure I'd be on the cusp of becoming Emperor of Britannia after this fight.

I feel like this is probably a UI error, because it says he will both become independent and become your vassal, which doesn't make any sense, and most likely what will happen is he will just become the new king of England.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I ended up playing as my child Heir and one of the events is to adopt a pet cat and when he grew up and married a princess the first thing that happened was that she had cat allergies.

Of course I said deal with it, sucker

Really funny to me that one of the cat events is that they run up to you with a scroll in their mouth and it's a Secret that gives you a hook.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Xerophyte posted:

Relatively sure that's a display bug and the CB should only say Ealdhun "Becomes Independent", not somehow both independent and your vassal. You cannot have a king as a vassal without first being emperor.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like this is probably a UI error, because it says he will both become independent and become your vassal, which doesn't make any sense, and most likely what will happen is he will just become the new king of England.

That's what I thought. Was hoping that this was somehow the order of events it was listing, but I knew deep down it was too good to be true.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Even though I only sent 1500 troops I ended up as the biggest contributor to the Crusade and my niece became Queen of Jerusalem (with a Crusader Queen trait).

It's a big boost to my small Irish dynasty.

Edit: gently caress she died in childbirth and her son is sickly.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 4, 2020

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
How do you view a 3rd party's opinion of another 3rd party? It's not where it is in CK2 and I've spent about 10 minutes looking for it.

Also, it's mildly annoying that they removed the ability to save filter configurations in the character finder. But despite this and the above confusion I do think the UI is pretty strong so far.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

It's so loving bizarre that they did really good on some elements, and then stuff like education, changing capitals, and probably other poo poo is completely out of the way.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Verus posted:

People keep saying the UI is better, but I seriously have no idea what is supposed to be better about it. It's basically a sidegrade from CK2, and a downgrade in a lot of cases.

Yeah, I gotta agree.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zero One posted:

Even though I only sent 1500 troops I ended up as the biggest contributor to the Crusade and my niece became Queen of Jerusalem (with a Crusader Queen trait).

It's a big boost to my small Irish dynasty.

Yeah the way it measures war contribution is weird. I ended up far and away the #1 contributor of the first crusade by showing up early, getting my poo poo completely wrecked, and then jumping into massive brawls where my allies already have a 2:1 advantage and somehow getting all the credit for winning them despite being an insignificant presence on the battlefield.

Swedish Horror posted:

It's so loving bizarre that they did really good on some elements, and then stuff like education, changing capitals, and probably other poo poo is completely out of the way.

I think the thing is that none of these are problems once you know where to find them, but the tutorial completely neglects to mention them so you are just left in the dark hunting around the UI, not even sure if the thing you want to do is even possible.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the way it measures war contribution is weird. I ended up far and away the #1 contributor of the first crusade by showing up early, getting my poo poo completely wrecked, and then jumping into massive brawls where my allies already have a 2:1 advantage and somehow getting all the credit for winning them despite being an insignificant presence on the battlefield.

losing troops is a huge factor in contribution - you "bled for the cause"

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Excatly what I did. "One weird trick the Pope loves..."

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

hopeandjoy posted:

Is it not worth it at all to create another kingdom title until you have primogeniture, or does having high partition keep all Kingdom titles with your heir?

Mostly asking because I have the later and am thinking of starting to chew through Scotland because it’s owned by the King of Jerusalem right now.

Also the King of Jerusalem is my very distant cousin and tried to get my land before I curb stomped him, so gently caress him.

For titles, if your powerful vassals like you you can "add laws" to it and have them pass separately. I used this to keep multiple kingships until I could form the empire level title.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I have no loving clue how the army levy system works in this game. It seems either bugged or extremely opaque. My total levy count is fluctuating from month to month with no changes to my realm, and with me controlling every county in my realm (I'm a 5-county duchy in charge of everything). My total army size was at 1800. I declared war on my neighbor only to realize that it's now at 1500. I let another month tick and now it's at 1400. My court priest's opinion of me hasn't changed, nor has the number of troops he's contributing. I have no idea what's going on, but this has ensured that the war I just declared is now unwinnable, so that's fun.

gently caress.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I have no loving clue how the army levy system works in this game. It seems either bugged or extremely opaque. My total levy count is fluctuating from month to month with no changes to my realm, and with me controlling every county in my realm (I'm a 5-county duchy in charge of everything). My total army size was at 1800. I declared war on my neighbor only to realize that it's now at 1500. I let another month tick and now it's at 1400. My court priest's opinion of me hasn't changed, nor has the number of troops he's contributing. I have no idea what's going on, but this has ensured that the war I just declared is now unwinnable, so that's fun.

gently caress.

Might be changes in the Control of the holdings.

Also if you're having trouble with factions, focus on diplomacy and take the pip that lets you befriend people. It is incredibly powerful.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Might be changes in the Control of the holdings.

It is not that.

I managed to catch one of the enemy's armies out when it was split and then fought their other one when we were basically even and won by luck of the rolls. Lost my son in the process but at least I managed to swing the war back in my favor.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I asked this earlier in the thread but didn't get an answer, and I don't think I explained it very well so I have a screenshot now to help a bit.

I want to revoke the duchy of Essex here, but just the duchy title. It seems like the UI believes that I want to take both the duchy and every title underneath it, and won't let me select it at all because it would leave her unlanded (even though it's the opposite of this; she would be keeping Buckinghamshire and I am taking the title with no land). You could take higher tier titles without the counties under them in CK2 so I'm not sure if this is a weird UI thing or if they've changed how it works and you just can't do that anymore in CK3.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I tried but never got the hang of CK2, but this time around is going way better and I'm really enjoying things.

Newbie question: What's the guiding wisdom when finding spouses for your daughters?

I thought I'd try to find lesser houses that I could strongarm into a matrilineal wedding so I could grow my dynasty, but those are tough to arrange so I haven't had a lot of success with it. I married my oldest daughter to a prince of a slightly larger kingdom just far enough away that we should have a prosperous alliance. They got hitched and after some years she's now the queen of a stronger nation and popping out potential claimants to my land (I think... I haven't fully figured out the rules and caveats of claims and inheritance). So I'm not sure if I just made more problems for myself.

I guess just in general, what sort of goals or considerations do you take in for marrying daughters when you're in a typical male-preference realm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Bhaal posted:

I tried but never got the hang of CK2, but this time around is going way better and I'm really enjoying things.

Newbie question: What's the guiding wisdom when finding spouses for your daughters?

I thought I'd try to find lesser houses that I could strongarm into a matrilineal wedding so I could grow my dynasty, but those are tough to arrange so I haven't had a lot of success with it. I married my oldest daughter to a prince of a slightly larger kingdom just far enough away that we should have a prosperous alliance. They got hitched and after some years she's now the queen of a stronger nation and popping out potential claimants to my land (I think... I haven't fully figured out the rules and caveats of claims and inheritance). So I'm not sure if I just made more problems for myself.

I guess just in general, what sort of goals or considerations do you take in for marrying daughters when you're in a typical male-preference realm?

Alliance making (marry them to problematic vassals/their kids!) or just spread your lineage around the world for the points