Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
ive only ever used water but yeah you should thin it in some fashion cuz it will come out thicker

also vellejo medium sucks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nebalebadingdong posted:

ive only ever used water but yeah you should thin it in some fashion cuz it will come out thicker

also vellejo medium sucks rear end

What do you recommend then? I'm using and Winsor and Newton medium, and the big downside here is that it's glossy.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Phi230 posted:

He doesn't seem to use a medium, only water. My problem has to do with using medium since the medium only seems to thicken the paint so I'm wondering if I should thin it way down anyway with flow improver or water. If that's the case of having to use a ton of thinner what's the point of the medium.

When I make glazes i use mostly water with a couple drops of glaze medium. It should be almost clear. This works for me but certainly isnt the only way of doing it

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hixson posted:

When I make glazes i use mostly water with a couple drops of glaze medium. It should be almost clear. This works for me but certainly isnt the only way of doing it

Ah I was doing it the opposite, mostly glaze medium with a few drops of flow improver. I figure this might be my problem.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Phi230 posted:

What do you recommend then? I'm using and Winsor and Newton medium, and the big downside here is that it's glossy.

the vallejo is super glossy and thick. I've found that GW's Lahmian Medium isn't as glossy so that's what I stuck with.

vallejo drying retardant is also super thick. like, what the hell

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I just pop over to the local art store and check out their wall of Liquitex (and other brands) acrylic mediums

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Alright I got some matte medium. I'll try the glaze medium I already have just less of it, with more water and adding some matte medium. And I'll try just the matte medium on its own with water to make a glaze and see what works.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
First time trying out a heated metal/hot coals effect, I think it came out okay!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
What kind of lamp do y'all recommend for painting? My overhead LED lights aren't cutting it. Preferably something cheap!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://youtu.be/_OR_CMVexSk

Here's a video of Angel Giraldez using lots of matte medium if you need ideas

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Xpost of some more Viking bois

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

1/5 done with my Viking warband. I'm happier with the grass now, I think I was just overdoing it before.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Under 15 posted:

Quoting this from downtown because idgaf. I put the tutorial to use on a model. Chickened out from going all the way, but here's the result:

I did the same using that tutorial. I half-assed the model itself, as it's mostly done with contrast.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Floppychop posted:

I did the same using that tutorial. I half-assed the model itself, as it's mostly done with contrast.

yo this is looking good. put a dark trim around the base and it will be awesome!!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

What kind of lamp do y'all recommend for painting? My overhead LED lights aren't cutting it. Preferably something cheap!

I use one of those magnifying glass lamp things. I never use the manifying glass, but it is very nice because it has a circular led running around the magnifying glass, so if you hold the mini under it it is lit from all angles and you don't get shadows.

Alternatively, before that I just had two cheap desk lamps on either side, which gets almost the same result.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

LifeLynx posted:

Two Ikea Tertial desk lamps with 1150 lumen daylight (5500-6500K) LED bulbs.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

KozmoNaut posted:

This! Super cheap setup and works great

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I also have one of those head-mounted magnifiers with a built-in LED light, but I hardly ever use the light to be honest.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I wasn't paying attention and glued the whole model together (sans Ork) before painting, so I pretty much could not get a brush in to do the engine on the back. Oh well. What a cool model otherwise. Very fun to paint, really happy with how the green, gold and white came out.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I don't have an Ikea within a reasonable distance of me, but I'm sure I could find something similar enough. The best-looking lamps with bulbs that match the lumens and color temperature are all around $60, which is a little out of my price range. This one looks promising, but it's not super bright. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SRZGJH9/

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I got this lamp for painting and it works great.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

KozmoNaut posted:

nthing this. If you can get ikea delivery it's 100% worth it. Everything from amazon is whatever overspill from china they can cram in a warehouse and mark up the price by 200%.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Zuul the Cat posted:

I have completed a Somua S35!

French tanks rule and so does this paint job.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Sab669 posted:

I wasn't paying attention and glued the whole model together (sans Ork) before painting, so I pretty much could not get a brush in to do the engine on the back. Oh well. What a cool model otherwise. Very fun to paint, really happy with how the green, gold and white came out.

This is great, the color choice reminds me of classic hot wheels cars.

blue collar orc
Feb 13, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Is there a trick to that metallic green?

It looks great BTW :)

blue collar orc
Feb 13, 2012

Im painting this little fellow and i need to put something on the open pages, but im not sure how i can do that in way that looks good. I can free hand it, but i it will probably look more like a buch of oversized squiggles than writing.

Do any of you know a good way of doing this?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Draw a dick?

But oversized scribbles are basically par for the course on books/scrolls unless you have the dexterity of a steel nerved brain surgeon and can free hand letters that small.

Edit: you can free hand a fancy first letter and then have scribbles for the rest of the text. Like a cartoonish old tome

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Stipple on some brown dots in a line, close enough to almost touch, with some wider spaces every so often. Text that small won't be readable, but a dotted pattern in a relatively straight line will look like text.

Either that, or do a big magic sigil. Or both!

Then be sure to give the pages a brown wash after. I like Reikland Fleshshade for this since most fantasy settings shouldn't have clean modern paper but any brown wash will probably look pretty ok.

blue collar orc
Feb 13, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Draw a dick?

But oversized scribbles are basically par for the course on books/scrolls unless you have the dexterity of a steel nerved brain surgeon and can free hand letters that small.

Edit: you can free hand a fancy first letter and then have scribbles for the rest of the text. Like a cartoonish old tome

PoptartsNinja posted:

Stipple on some brown dots in a line, close enough to almost touch, with some wider spaces every so often. Text that small won't be readable, but a dotted pattern in a relatively straight line will look like text.

Then be sure to give the pages a brown wash after. I like Reikland Fleshshade for this since most fantasy settings shouldn't have clean modern paper but any brown wash will probably look pretty ok.

Makes sense, a large magic symbol (or dick) is probably the way to go to use up some space. It looks quite good with squiggles in the picturs you posted.

I was just hoping there were some secret trick for it :)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You absolutely can do detail that small like this painter I found on instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/CElpQZDnwk8/?igshid=1w2pg46jh2lxs

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 4, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

blue collar orc posted:

Is there a trick to that metallic green?

It looks great BTW :)

Thanks - no trick, airbrush and a Pearl Green from Createx

Anyone know of a Gloss Black primer that can be airbrushed on? I've heard people claim Krylon is just fine for priming but :shrug: pretty sure I just destroyed a Plague Marine I just primed

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Spanish Manlove posted:

You absolutely can do detail that small like this painter I found on instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/CElpQZDnwk8/?igshid=1w2pg46jh2lxs

When I see stuff like this I think must have been an artist before coming to miniature painting.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Sab669 posted:

Thanks - no trick, airbrush and a Pearl Green from Createx

Anyone know of a Gloss Black primer that can be airbrushed on? I've heard people claim Krylon is just fine for priming but :shrug: pretty sure I just destroyed a Plague Marine I just primed

Vallejo Gloss Black has worked well for me with a little thinner.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

I painted up that guy too! He was super fun.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

chippocrates posted:

Vallejo Gloss Black has worked well for me with a little thinner.

Oh, sweet, I didn't even realize they had one. My LGS normally has a great selection of Vallejo products but they didn't have this so I assumed it didn't exist :)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Verisimilidude posted:

I painted up that guy too! He was super fun.

That whole pack of kobolds was really cute and fun. Except for that one. You know the one.

... I accidentally painted the green one like Dende and then once I realized I'd accidentally made Dende I put a dragonball on the end of his club.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Got my Scale 75 metals!

VIKING GOLD: This is like Retributor Armor with a coat of Nuln Oil over it. I won't use it on my Thousand Sons, but it's going to really come in clutch if I ever need to paint something with an old metal feel.

SPEED METAL: I was hoping this would be a brighter version of GW's Stormhost Silver. No matter how much I shake this, most of the time it comes out nearly full white. If I give it a good shake and put a bit on a palette (not a wet palette, this is already super watery) and wait for it to dry a little before trying to use it, it sort of works. I struggled halfway through a mini and went back to Stormhost Silver. It's very bright when it does cooperate, but not much more than Stormhost Silver. Maybe I got a bad batch?

DWARVEN GOLD: This is very comparable to Retributor Armor, but slightly more on the yellow side as opposed to Retributor's Pumpkin Spice orange. After experimenting, I think I'm going to use Retributor Armor and edge highlight with this.

CITRINE ALCHEMY: This stuff is good. It's like the perfect white gold. I did some tests where I painted Dwarven Gold and then edge highlighted with this and it really pops. It's not where I was going for with my Thousand Sons - where I'm using gold as an accent mostly - but I'm going to keep this combo in my back pocket. Maybe for larger models that have areas I can try a good transition.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

I backed a Kickstarter involving these little raptors with laser guns, and copped the free demo dino to print off. It printed out wonderfully and assembled very easily, so I threw some paint on and this is the result. I'm not so familiar with metallics, so forgive me for that, but this clever girl's got me really excited for the rest of the project!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

LifeLynx posted:

Got my Scale 75 metals!

VIKING GOLD: This is like Retributor Armor with a coat of Nuln Oil over it. I won't use it on my Thousand Sons, but it's going to really come in clutch if I ever need to paint something with an old metal feel.

SPEED METAL: I was hoping this would be a brighter version of GW's Stormhost Silver. No matter how much I shake this, most of the time it comes out nearly full white. If I give it a good shake and put a bit on a palette (not a wet palette, this is already super watery) and wait for it to dry a little before trying to use it, it sort of works. I struggled halfway through a mini and went back to Stormhost Silver. It's very bright when it does cooperate, but not much more than Stormhost Silver. Maybe I got a bad batch?

DWARVEN GOLD: This is very comparable to Retributor Armor, but slightly more on the yellow side as opposed to Retributor's Pumpkin Spice orange. After experimenting, I think I'm going to use Retributor Armor and edge highlight with this.

CITRINE ALCHEMY: This stuff is good. It's like the perfect white gold. I did some tests where I painted Dwarven Gold and then edge highlighted with this and it really pops. It's not where I was going for with my Thousand Sons - where I'm using gold as an accent mostly - but I'm going to keep this combo in my back pocket. Maybe for larger models that have areas I can try a good transition.

Give p3 blighted gold a try because it's it's like a shiny version of that viking gold. I love it for a faded bronze color with some sepia or reikland fleshshade over it.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

That whole pack of kobolds was really cute and fun. Except for that one. You know the one.

... I accidentally painted the green one like Dende and then once I realized I'd accidentally made Dende I put a dragonball on the end of his club.

I painted all of them except for the nipple kobold! And now I wish I painted the little one green, that’s a fun idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I decided to experiment with plasma glow:

Looking at these pictures made me realize I need to go back and fix some things, but this was a lot of fun to do!