Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

Congrats on the car but electrical mirrors and autodimming mirrors as options on a 100k car? Jesus Porsche....

First time browsing a Porsche price sheet eh?

Wait till you see the $1000 stitched P crests in the seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Has anybody rented a Tesla for a roadtrip? Can you do it? Turo seems like the most feasible, and normally maybe some corporate places have them but their websites can't handle the fact that a bunch of locations are closed.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Russian Bear posted:

First time browsing a Porsche price sheet eh?

Wait till you see the $1000 stitched P crests in the seats.

Five raps of the horse whip, administered to the buttocks by a stern Fräulein - $12,750

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

re: interesting car colors
I'd love to get the Spark EV wrapped in this pattern or something similar.

I looked into it and a full body wrap is like $3k. Now that's spooky!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Ola posted:

Cool bike, a proper Brompton with a Brooks seat? :wotwot:

But of course!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Finally joined the club this week.

Ever since the Volt concept was released I thought it would be an ideal vehicle. However, I also am one of the "drive it until the wheels fall off" types so I just now got rid of a 1999 sedan, and only because it got wrecked (GM 3800 Series II + 4T65E was goddamn bulletproof). Picked up a 2017 Volt Premier to replace it and it is a thing of beauty. Going from a '99 to a 2017 is like buying a starship. Also, I have a ton of adjustment to make. Radically different drivetrain, digital dashboard and touchscreen thingy. I'm used to doing most of my own repairs and maintenance and I don't even know how this thing works and I don't think there's a Haynes manual for it.

But in a few months I'm getting a solar installation so I can leave it in Sport mode and not give a poo poo because all the energy it uses will be free.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

so I can leave it in Sport mode and not give a poo poo because all the energy it uses will be free.

All sport mode does is remap the throttle to be less linear, being heavier at the bottom end. Surprisingly it doesn't really make much of a difference on total energy usage over a charge. Unless you are doing a tire squealing jack-rabbit start on every take off.

Here are some common things that I see new Volt owners get tripped up on. Some tips and tricks..

The EVSE that comes with the car is a 240v capable device with a 120v plug on it. You can make a simple adapter with bits from any hardware store to plug it into your 240v outlet of choice cutting charge times in half. Assuming you have a 240v outlet available. Its still limited to 12A on 240v (2.88kW), but it means a full charge in 5 hours instead of 10.5 on 120v/12A. 240v charging is a few more % efficient plug to battery as well. The 2017 has a 3.6kW (240v/16A) onboard charger, so if you get a EVSE capable of delivering at least this, charge times from a empty battery are just over 4 hours.

ERDTT: "Engine Running Due To Temperature". By default the car is set to start and idle the gas engine when the temperature drops below 34 F. For 2017 models that can be changed to happen at 14 F instead (the "Deferred" setting). But it cannot be disabled.

Engine Maintenance mode: If the gas engine has not started in ~6 weeks, the car will start and idle the engine for approx 10-15 minutes. It lets you defer this once.

Fuel Maintenance Mode: The car keeps track of the average age of gas in the tank. As it approaches 1 year in age, it will force you to use it. You cannot defer this. Adding gas to the tank decreases the average age.

Oil Life counter: The oil life counter goes by both time and how many hours the engine has run. If you basically never use the gas engine it will slowly drop down to 0 over a 2 year period.

The 12v battery is a AGM type. The car is designed to accept and charge ONLY a AGM battery. If you ever have to replace it do not put a standard flooded cell lead acid in it!

The EV range meter, or GOM/"Guess-O-Meter" as it is called, is based entirely on the driving efficiency of your last full charge. So depending on your driving style, weather, climate settings, etc.. it can vary a lot. Don't be alarmed! (many new Volt owners are!)

Most of the EV part of the drive train including the battery is covered under a supplemental warranty called the "Voltec" warranty. This lasts for 100k miles or 8 years. Or 150k miles/10 years if the car was originally sold and currently registered in a "CARB" state.

All 2017 Volts where sold with 5 free years of "OnStar Basic". This IS transferable to new owners. A 2017 Volt will still have some of this left. You can call OnStar to have it activated and transferred to your name. You may have to make a few attempts at this as OnStar reps are not always the smartest bunch. It helps if you call OnStar FROM the car by pushing the blue button. OnStar Basic gives you app access to see charging stats, tire pressures, GPS location, remote keyfob, etc..

Edit: Forgot about VoltStats! Once you get OnStar enabled, you can link your car to the VoltStats website. It polls OnStar once a day to get various stats about your energy efficiency and usage. Here is my VoltStats page: https://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/8980

Happy Volting!

stevewm fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 4, 2020

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
Did an airport run in the e-tron today. 100 miles round trip and I did about 90mph average moving speed with lots of hard acceleration. Shockingly it resulted in only losing an extra 10 miles or so of range. I very much appreciate the car will take a beating and simply just ask for more with no fuss.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

90MPH??? Is everyone driving like crazy or is there no one on the road?

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

90MPH??? Is everyone driving like crazy or is there no one on the road?

SoCal I assume, cops here don't care if you speed. When there is no traffic the average highway speed is like 85.

E-tron is at the dealer for a week to replace the entire rear light bar, apparently the majority of them are faulty. They gave me an A3 loaner....while I appreciate the nimbleness it feels like sitting inside a tiny plastic box with an engine that screams when putting out any power.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Gamesguy posted:

feels like sitting inside a tiny plastic box with an engine that screams when putting out any power.

sounds pretty cool tbh

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Is there a route planning app or site that people recommend? The guy in the Audi garage suggested https://abetterrouteplanner.com which seems pretty good, just wondering if there's a standard one.

Looks great that you can tell it what car you're driving and weather conditions and it works out where you need to charge etc.

I had an A3 courtesy car on Monday, it was a diesel DSG model and the engine & gearbox didn't work well at all together.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Is there a route planning app or site that people recommend? The guy in the Audi garage suggested https://abetterrouteplanner.com which seems pretty good, just wondering if there's a standard one.

Looks great that you can tell it what car you're driving and weather conditions and it works out where you need to charge etc.

I had an A3 courtesy car on Monday, it was a diesel DSG model and the engine & gearbox didn't work well at all together.

ABRP owns.

I bought a Mini Cooper SE back in June, I took it back a few weeks later for tinting and got an ICE Countryman loaner. It felt loving prehistoric.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

There's an app called Zapp but I think it's only in Norwegian. Otherwise I don't think anyone is going to bother making some because ABRP is so good. You can also connect your car to the service so it gets your actual driving data, probably requires the premium version. No idea if the Taycan supports this. I find once you've driven a route once, you don't really need to plan it again and once you've driven a while you don't really need to plan much at all beyond browsing the charge point map, unless it's a really long travel day.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The iD4 interior looks pretty nice. Clearly very similar to the Skoda but does look a bit cooler. I think I would probably go for the skoda.

https://electrek.co/2020/09/04/vw-id-4-interior-tesla-inspirations/

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

The iD4 interior looks pretty nice. Clearly very similar to the Skoda but does look a bit cooler. I think I would probably go for the skoda.

Looks the same as the ID.3 in dark mode, including steering wheel touch controls. I would definitely go for the Skoda. One subtle design item I liked, the central console has a little ledge where you can support your hand when using the touch screen.

Only advantage the ID.4 as I can see is that it had the reversing camera hidden behind the VW emblem which flips open when you reverse. So it's always perfectly clean, but the Skoda is out in the winter grime and you have to be aerodynamically lucky to keep it clean. Perhaps a wiper nozzle on it?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Those touch buttons are just a terrible idea. Its like someone told them "Tesla does everything by touch! we need to keep up!" and they completely misunderstood what that meant.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Shai-Hulud posted:

Those touch buttons are just a terrible idea. Its like someone told them "Tesla does everything by touch! we need to keep up!" and they completely misunderstood what that meant.

First gen Volts had a bunch of those. They wouldn't be my first choice, but they're not as bad as you think they are.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MrYenko posted:

First gen Volts had a bunch of those. They wouldn't be my first choice, but they're not as bad as you think they are.

I am sure that you get used to them eventually but I didn't like them at all when I borrowed a first gen for a couple days.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MrYenko posted:

They didn't have them on the steering wheel though.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Totally disagree. Capacitive buttons in general suck and even moreso on a steering wheel. Do them on the screen, fine whatever but never on the wheel where muscle memory is important. In one of their carshow demos the VW rep even kept miskeying and was having trouble doing proper adjustments to the HVAC. The voice commands also seem really clumsy and unresponsive. I get that it's first gen but the UI and infotainment seems really bad.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Ola posted:

Looks the same as the ID.3 in dark mode, including steering wheel touch controls. I would definitely go for the Skoda. One subtle design item I liked, the central console has a little ledge where you can support your hand when using the touch screen.

Only advantage the ID.4 as I can see is that it had the reversing camera hidden behind the VW emblem which flips open when you reverse. So it's always perfectly clean, but the Skoda is out in the winter grime and you have to be aerodynamically lucky to keep it clean. Perhaps a wiper nozzle on it?

Considering that a Skoda is just a less expensive VW this checks out.

And the reversing camera have been standard on Passats and Golf sedans the last 5 years.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Thanks for the suggestion on the Costco Charger.

The electric sockets in my rented duplex were not “sufficient” for the Kia Niro EV charger (it won’t work in these conditions), this one worked, abet when plugged into the 220v 6-20 it only charges at 1.4kw, probably because the entire electrical is sub par.

But still going up 20-25% over night is a very good thing, not being able to charge at home was a real issue.

I have a once a week commute to Los Angeles, on the way home the 113mi drive only ate 100mi of range, mainly because 1/2 of that was stop and go.

Waiting for the Carpool Stickers.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Oh man I wonder if my ADHD-addled brain is capable of a project at some point in the future:
https://www.influx.co.uk/cars/electric-911/

Electric 911
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIil_VwBGYM

https://www.electricclassiccars.co.uk/

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

VideoGameVet posted:

Thanks for the suggestion on the Costco Charger.

The electric sockets in my rented duplex were not “sufficient” for the Kia Niro EV charger (it won’t work in these conditions), this one worked, abet when plugged into the 220v 6-20 it only charges at 1.4kw, probably because the entire electrical is sub par.

What?

That's not how electricity works.

Are you sure it's 220?

Are there settings on the car and or EVSE that could be effecting it?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

Oh man I wonder if my ADHD-addled brain is capable of a project at some point in the future:

Electric 911

A few months ago the classic car dealership in my area got a 1970's 912 and I was sorely tempted to buy that and do an EV conversion.

But I don't have the time.

I love the classic 911/912 look.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

knox_harrington posted:

Electric 911

I feel like the 996 series 911 would be a good candidate for an electric swap. Unlike classic aircooled 911s, they are completely unloved and unlike more modern 997 and up 911s, they are priced relatively low.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

knox_harrington posted:

I like how Electrek only showed the front seat interior photos. Autocar posted the back seat, trunk, and exterior too, and NGL, I wasn't expecting it to look this nice. There is still some light camo, but this is pretty much the production ID.4: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/first-drive-2021-volkswagen-id-4-prototype

Not realistically coming to the US any time soon, despite this being the ONE(1) goddamn car we are supposed to get. Very very limited quantities will be coming stateside, most are going to Europe to meet regulations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Elviscat posted:

What?

That's not how electricity works.

Are you sure it's 220?

Are there settings on the car and or EVSE that could be effecting it?

Well, the 110v/Kia Charger issue I've seen before with my friends Niro Plug-In Hybrid. Kia Charger shows red light, won't charge. It worked fine at the office parking lot and the corporate apartment.

With the new AxFast Charger the indicator and Kia say charging at 1.4kw when plugged into the 6-20 plug. I'll have to email them and ask why.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yuns posted:

I feel like the 996 series 911 would be a good candidate for an electric swap. Unlike classic aircooled 911s, they are completely unloved and unlike more modern 997 and up 911s, they are priced relatively low.

downside: they are ugly and not very cool

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Westy543 posted:

Not realistically coming to the US any time soon, despite this being the ONE(1) goddamn car we are supposed to get. Very very limited quantities will be coming stateside, most are going to Europe to meet regulations.

That sucks. Do you guys not get the Skoda one?

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

knox_harrington posted:

That sucks. Do you guys not get the Skoda one?

Nope, Skoda & SEAT brands aren't sold in the US. :(

At least VW is spinning up a factory in Tennerssee in 2022, that will produce the bulk of the US' stock of ID.4s. Until then, the ID.4s we get will be the few that VW can spare to import here (or however few they need to satisfy CARB requirements, which I think they already do with credits from the e-Golf. VW is continuing to sell that here an extra model year or two as we aren't getting the ID.3).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

Totally disagree. Capacitive buttons in general suck and even moreso on a steering wheel. Do them on the screen, fine whatever but never on the wheel where muscle memory is important. In one of their carshow demos the VW rep even kept miskeying and was having trouble doing proper adjustments to the HVAC. The voice commands also seem really clumsy and unresponsive. I get that it's first gen but the UI and infotainment seems really bad.

Car interfaces are easy to get wrong it seems. The Skoda seems to have very chunky scroll wheels, the kind that moves in solid, satisfying clicks. The I-Pace for instance has a free rolling scroll wheel which is really dumb when you're using it to select something in discrete portions. You have to stare at the menu while driving and scroll just so, oops no that was one too far.

I think the might be ID.3 than I fear, but I fear it's real bad. Thankfully it's an easy update on the next model year, and whoever buys it now will get used to it. Perhaps a tiny advantage to not get dirt into the button gaps?

I can't find the clip now, but in one of the ID.3 tests, the tester was explaining something about the side mirror adjuster knob. While doing so, his palm was resting on the touch sensitive button which toggles if your two window switches (groaning as I type) control the front or the rear windows. The little toggle was blinking like crazy. So many times while trying to open one window, you will open another by accident or the opening will stop or similar, because you got near the button.

Cardiac posted:

Considering that a Skoda is just a less expensive VW this checks out.

And the reversing camera have been standard on Passats and Golf sedans the last 5 years.

Yeah I know that, the premise of discussion is kind of what do the two organizations do differently on the same platform. I think Skoda has absolutely smashed it out of the park, the kind where people take off their baseball caps and just stare in awe at a ball going to the moon.

And true, that flippy thing has been around for a while. One of the cooler features from them. Reversing cameras are ubiquitous now, but boy can they be useless when your car looks like this from November to April:

(which randomly is a VW and which oddly seems to have a fluid coming out of the emblem)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

VideoGameVet posted:

With the new AxFast Charger the indicator and Kia say charging at 1.4kw when plugged into the 6-20 plug. I'll have to email them and ask why.

1.4kw is the axfast charge rate for 120V, so I bet that outlet was converted to 120v at some point, for some reason, does it have its own double-pole breaker in the panel?

E: I know it's at a rental so you probably don't want to dig, but you could check the voltage pin-to-pin with a multimeter, and if you're only getting 120V you could request your landlords have an electrician out to troubleshoot it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That's a very weird looking face. Are the innermost bits of the headlights taped off or is it a bit :downs: ? I think we can say that Skoda wins this round of the MEB-off.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's wearing light camo still

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ola posted:

(which randomly is a VW and which oddly seems to have a fluid coming out of the emblem)

That fluid does indeed seem to be washer fluid. Skodas at least have had dedicated nozzles for the reversing camera for some time. Brilliant! It's this kind of dad-poo poo I love about cars, robotaxis be damned.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

headlight and camera washers are terrible, more needlessly complex poo poo to break

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Westy543 posted:

Ah, I think they'll be the replacement to the i3 my wife will get on a few years.

Looks similar with a decent trunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Shamino posted:

Not to cause a political argument but batteries are 100% recyclable until the end of time and all the materials can be obtained domestically in a safe manner. I work in the oil industry (exploration/geology side) and the levels of danger for oil production are so understated.

Plus once you burn the gas it's gone forever.

100% recyclable, I'd like to see some kind of source for that.

Also, respectfully LOL if you think the extraction of minerals for batteries is any better.

Transporting it isn't much more fun.